Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Point of order: Homicide was a Barry Levinson / Tom Fontana / Paul Attanasio / David Simon joint.

And goddamn, Polito. gently caress cancer. Detective Crosetti, you are end of watch. :smith:

Oh, yeah. What have I got it confused with?

Probably Hill Street Blues, which I believe was a Bochco series and a bit earlier than Homicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

X-O posted:

Jon Polito passed away. I'm sure a lot of you have seen him in other stuff, but he'll he'll always be Crosetti from Homicide for me. One of my favorite character actors from one of my favorite shows.

gently caress, man. He was always one of my favorite "That Guy" actors. :smith: gently caress you, cancer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Every new MacGyver commercial makes him look like the smuggest douchbag alive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Instead of making MacGyver more modern they should have made it older. 1950s MacGyver.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I have a family member who works for a government power company and they said that they actually had to issue a statement in the wake of Stranger Things becoming so popular clarifying that, no, they aren't secretly a front for clandestine experiments.

http://energy.gov/articles/what-stranger-things-didn-t-get-quite-so-right-about-energy-department

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Instead of making MacGyver more modern they should have made it older. 1950s MacGyver.

I am virulently against remaking MacGyver, but grandpa Mac would at least make some sense.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

I am virulently against remaking MacGyver, but grandpa Mac would at least make some sense.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/macgruber-7-macgyver/n12458

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/macgruber-w-macgyver/n12448

One more reason Macgruber was the followup to Macguyver that the world deserves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Seriously? The Sopranos. There were some abortive attempts before hand like Wiseguys and American Dove, but that's the one usually cited as creating the "golden age" of Television and all that jazz.

I think Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure were the first mainstream hits for the serialized drama format.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've definitely heard Twin Peaks was the show that kicked off the wave of serialization.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The question wasn't which was the first but which one kicked off the modern trend of serialized television, even with HBO hitting it big earlier with The Sopranos and outliers like Twin Peaks it's hard to argue that LOST wasn't the turning point where serialized television exploded and became something everyone was doing, not just prestige programming on prestige channels.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 3, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

The question wasn't which was the first but which one kicked off the modern trend of serialized television, even with HBO hitting it big earlier with The Sopranos it's hard to argue that LOST wasn't the turning point where serialized television exploded and became something everyone was doing, not just prestige programming on prestige channels.

Twin Peaks was on ABC friend

e: and even before Northern Exposure, I'm pretty sure thirtysomething was at the time regarded as a kind of high water mark and unique animal or w/e

e2: haha, I said "high"

e3: but now, I'm actually really curious about whether thirtysomething was any good or not. I only recall that there was a time when I was young and a certain kind of adult, like my uncle and aunt who owned a Volvo and a Tracy Chapman CD, watched

precision fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 3, 2016

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Guy Mann posted:

I have a family member who works for a government power company and they said that they actually had to issue a statement in the wake of Stranger Things becoming so popular clarifying that, no, they aren't secretly a front for clandestine experiments.

http://energy.gov/articles/what-stranger-things-didn-t-get-quite-so-right-about-energy-department

Well, obviously not anymore, the Cold War's over, and now any of that stuff would be at Defense or Homeland Security.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I use Red vs. Blue as something to keep me entertained while sorting files and why the hell did they have shift into the action/adventure story-telling in Season 10 or so? I get that it's explaining the backstory, but did/does anyone else find jumping between the goofy shenanigans of Sarge, Griff, Caboose, etc. and somebody's Halo fanfic every few minutes isn't as fun as the older show? :negative:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

You can't make a MacGuyver show in the age of google. I'm not falling for that poo poo.

gently caress tv studios.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

I hate to step on Jon Polito's passing, but do you remember when this seemed sane and clever?

What's that? It still seems like a ridiculous instance of writers and network executives throwing poo poo to the wall and hoping something sticks? Well,

https://twitter.com/snoodit/status/771769856123293698

Welp, close it all down, guys. I think we're done here.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rocksicles posted:

You can't make a MacGuyver show in the age of google. I'm not falling for that poo poo.

gently caress tv studios.

*gets in a sticky situation*
*googles lifehack*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RDA was excellent at playing an everyman without being a smug rear end in a top hat. This new guy really doesn't have it. Saying that, I'm still going to watch a few episodes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best 90's serial drama was Action, cancelled too soon and too beautiful for this world.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

From that article:

quote:

Writing duo Chad Damiani and J.P. Lavin (who are also adapting game Fruit Ninja as a movie) will pen the script.

If I didn't know better I'd think The Hollywood Reporter was a parody site.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I always thought the reason people liked Barb in STRANGER THINGS was because she was the only character who didn't act like she was pilfered from somewhere else.

I like the show, but as time passes the effects have kind of diminished. Aside from David Arbour, who's great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

I always thought the reason people liked Barb in STRANGER THINGS was because she was the only character who didn't act like she was pilfered from somewhere else.

Even though she's a walking cliche dressed in So-Eighties-It-Hurts fashions?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah how dare they dress someone period appropriate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Yeah how dare they dress someone period appropriate.

Yeah there's a reason the 80s didn't come back too hard but early 90s flannel already has. The 80s was just poor decisions on all fronts.

GreenNight posted:

RDA was excellent at playing an everyman without being a smug rear end in a top hat. This new guy really doesn't have it. Saying that, I'm still going to watch a few episodes.

I saw a spot for the MacGyver remake the other day and god what a punchable face.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should give him a beard and top knot

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished watching the first season of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell. It's the perfect show. Astonishing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Buffy was doing it before the Sopranos.

IRQ posted:

Soap Operas have been around forever dude.

The question was what "kicked off" the current trend of heavily serialized tv shows, and I think Sopranos was the big hit that inspired that type of TV since 2000 or so.

GreenNight posted:

Every new MacGyver commercial makes him look like the smuggest douchbag alive.

There was this poster in a NYC subway that has him parachuting out of an exploding helicopter with the smuggest expression. Made me wish there was a hole in the parachute.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Shageletic posted:

The question was what "kicked off" the current trend of heavily serialized tv shows, and I think Sopranos was the big hit that inspired that type of TV since 2000 or so.

Uh, no? The question was who started with rotating cast introducing a 'previously on...' segment

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

IRQ posted:

I saw a spot for the MacGyver remake the other day and god what a punchable face.

Is he played by Adam Devine?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Get Down is amazing!

Grandmaster Flash laying down some Zen bullshit is wonderful :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

Uh, no? The question was who started with rotating cast introducing a 'previously on...' segment

Both topics were being thrown around, don't be a butt

Sopranos is a good answer but I'm not sure it's right. For one, it's honestly not even that serialised - it's more of a "short stories that add up to a whole" type, although the first season is the most serialised for sure. It was influential in many ways such as depth of characters and themes but going on specifically serialised storytelling and what had the most influence on it becoming mainstream I'd say it's more LOST and the whole mystery box show fad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rocksicles posted:

The Get Down is amazing!

Grandmaster Flash laying down some Zen bullshit is wonderful :allears:

I'm still not sure what people's criticisms actually are of THE GET DOWN. Yes it's somewhat a little messy and I don't think it's actually suited for binging, but that doesn't really warrant the muted reception it's got.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DrVenkman posted:

I'm still not sure what people's criticisms actually are of THE GET DOWN. Yes it's somewhat a little messy and I don't think it's actually suited for binging, but that doesn't really warrant the muted reception it's got.

I really liked The Get Down, but it isn't without it's flaws (like any other Baz Luhrmann project). Spoiler assumes the you've finished what's available: I don't necessarily agree that the series isn't suited for binging, but where the season(? Part? Act? Book?) ends isn't incredibly satisfying, so a binge feels incomplete. All-in-all, it feels to me like it's meant to be viewed and told as a whole and the episode/season distinctions placed upon an already complete story instead of being filmed for them to have distinct purposes. Which is fine, but it leaves a sour taste in a binge.

The conflict in the final episode sucked. By placing the speech and the rap battle at the same time, and the fact that one of the themes of the show is prioritizing conflicting responsibilities, it was lovely to tease the conflict but let Zeke succeed in both. There was no reason that the rap battle being overheard in the speech was the same one Zeke needed to be at if the show was just going to have him do both successfully anyway. Sure, I don't doubt that there will be repercussions for trying to do both in the end, but it doesn't leave much for the viewer to think about between seasons for Zeke to have his cake and eat it too right there.

Basically, what you said. It's messy in it's current state, but I think that's because it's more meant to be along the lines of Berlin, Alexanderplatz--a miniseries viewed as a whole in quick succession, not segemented. Because that option isn't available until the second season-thing drops, I understand the muted reception.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
b-b-but i thought it was because of racism!!!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Get Down was good, I liked it and binged it over a weekend. It had weak moments but overall was pretty fun. It made the most of out its quasi-musical state and they worked the music into it in a great way. Although I did have to put subtitles on for parts of it, just to get every word spoken by a couple of characters or in loud scenes.

I also binged all of Narcos S2 this weekend and that was great too. Keep making tv shows Netflix, the wider the range the better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still watching Get Down, on ep 4 as we speak. It repeats itself a bit much but I like it a hell of a lot - the world-building is pretty much second to none. Hopefully the second half of the season is a lot tighter.

Sitcom-watchers: how is Superstore? Seems decent enough/fun, but the creator/showrunner is the guy who wrote Office episode 'Angry Andy', soooooo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Has there been an example in the remake series gone wild of TV that's been any good? Hawaii Five-0 was alright until it started interrupting episodes for product placement ("Hey, bradda. I used to eat da fried foods but I'm on a diet now an' have already lost five pounds thanks to dese Subway sandwiches, brah!" right in the middle of a god drat episode), Rush Hour looked terrible, Lethal Weapon looks bad as does MacGyver.

Rush Hour looked like somebody took the Santa Monica Cop sitcom idea from Californication and thought "You know, that's a great idea!".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CBJSprague24 posted:

Has there been an example in the remake series gone wild of TV that's been any good? Hawaii Five-0 was alright until it started interrupting episodes for product placement ("Hey, bradda. I used to eat da fried foods but I'm on a diet now an' have already lost five pounds thanks to dese Subway sandwiches, brah!" right in the middle of a god drat episode), Rush Hour looked terrible, Lethal Weapon looks bad as does MacGyver.

Rush Hour looked like somebody took the Santa Monica Cop sitcom idea from Californication and thought "You know, that's a great idea!".

If you're counting remakes of movies then Fargo is excellent and Ash vs. The Evil Dead is better than most of Sam Raimi's actual output over the past decade.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fargo is not a remake.

Black Sails is a pretty killer prequel to Treasure Island.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ash v ED isn't a remake either. I mean if RDA lost weight and came out of retirement to play MacGyver again, like Bruce Campbell, I'd be all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Ash v ED isn't a remake either. I mean if RDA lost weight and came out of retirement to play MacGyver again, like Bruce Campbell, I'd be all over it.

His meds that allow him to move his back without pain are also what is making him fat so I don't think he's gonna be skinny again any time soon.

• Locked thread