Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kirbysuperstar posted:

i do not need it

and yet

It is, for obvious reasons, very Sakura Wars thematically. Would get one just for that. No, I do not need it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

It is, for obvious reasons, very Sakura Wars thematically. Would get one just for that. No, I do not need it either.

[good answer jingle] that's right ogami-han

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've had my Retroid Pocket 4 Pro for a while, it's pretty nice.

• Fast charging is nice
  • ES-DE is a lot nicer than daijisho
  • The screen is odd, I feel like I always have to crank up the brightness. At low levels it still has a small green tint.
  • I like that the d-pad is on top since I mostly do 16 & 32 bit
  • It's android, so setup sucked compared to my 35XX before
  • Even with the official grip, the ergonomics for playing FPS are not good.

Question for the thread: how are y'all playing Doom on this or similar devices? A console port like the PS1 release or the official android one I see on the play store?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PleasantDilemma posted:

[*] Even with the official grip, the ergonomics for playing FPS are not good.

I agree with this, the official grip is kinda slippery in the hand and the grips themselves are sorta nubby so any attempt at streaming a shooter over Xbox Cloud or streamed from my PC has been not the best. Not a huge deal because I don't play many (any?) controller based shooters but it is a bit awkward to hold if you need both sticks for sure. I haven't really noticed screen brightness issues on mine though.

Edit: I'm not playing Doom on mine but I'd probably just go with whatever version worked the best for what I want, I'm not really that precious about the accuracy of classics so I'd just play the Android version if it was good, personally. I mean hell I'm playing the android version of SOTN over the Playstation version which I also have.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 20, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PleasantDilemma posted:

Question for the thread: how are y'all playing Doom on this or similar devices? A console port like the PS1 release or the official android one I see on the play store?

Portmaster to just play the original PC wads. Many of the console ports didn't have the original music and were missing levels.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I haven't been playing many first person shooters but I have been streaming a ton of Minecraft RTX to my g cloud. It feels fine but I'm used to plucking away at Minecraft with a mouse so it's just a more... patient time.

I also want to know if anyone opts for the android versions of older titles or if they prefer to emulate them.

Should I play Chrono Trigger with a patch or just get the play store version?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

forest spirit posted:

Play the DS version

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

beer gas canister posted:

Play the DS version

And stay away from the new content added in. Just mind-numbingly repetitive and boring.

VVV No lie, my preferred way. And there's something about that original Luminaire sound that has never been 100% replicated correctly.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 20, 2024

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Play the SNES version with the superior Ted Woolsey translation

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I both got a 3ds ll from Japan today and ordered an rgb20sx today.

I want the weird tall boy with the square screen for pico 8 and powkiddy had a $20 off promo code on their site.

My 3ds ll looks great, but I think the battery is mostly shot so I'm probably going to replace it. I guess that's to be expected with a 2012 device

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

PleasantDilemma posted:

Doom on the 32x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhoFZ9rSYPs

But seriously, Doom on the 32x
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

forest spirit posted:

I haven't been playing many first person shooters but I have been streaming a ton of Minecraft RTX to my g cloud. It feels fine but I'm used to plucking away at Minecraft with a mouse so it's just a more... patient time.

I also want to know if anyone opts for the android versions of older titles or if they prefer to emulate them.

SNES version is I think the best one overall. The DS version has some annoying stuff you have to turn off or ignore. What would the patch be for?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I ended up buying an RG35XX H for 40 bucks instead, flashed a custom os onto a SD card that won't immediately die

This is pretty neat lol

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I ended up buying an RG35XX H for 40 bucks instead, flashed a custom os onto a SD card that won't immediately die

This is pretty neat lol

What OS, just got one of those too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's an Aliexpress listing for the TrimUI Smart Pro that's on sale for only about 47 bucks till Sunday, felt like too good of a deal to pass up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Evil Robot posted:

What OS, just got one of those too

I went with Knulli because I'm familiar with ES from Steam Deck fiddling, the bootup time isn't as bad as people say

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like Anbernic has a 4” 4:3 XX device (so same chip as the 35XX family) in the works.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Looks like Anbernic has a 4” 4:3 XX device (so same chip as the 35XX family) in the works.
Hell yeah this is exciting

edit: https://x.com/JoeysRetroHH/status/1804502967334457651

Personally not a fan of the luminated thumbsticks but other than that I think I might pick this up

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 22, 2024

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

how do the anbernic RG35 class devices handle OTG? like old Android, where u could charge it and also run devices off it at the same time, or like new Android, where u could run devices *or* power the device?

would v much like to build a lil dock for a couple wired PS3 controllers to hook into

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If they use the fisher price purple color to go with the rgb stickers, I probably will sell my 405m and get this one. 405 is not fast enough for ps2 anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

shyduck posted:

Personally not a fan of the luminated thumbsticks but other than that I think I might pick this up

I've been wanting to get a horizontal handheld, with my baseline preference being the 35XXH, so this is good to learn about!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wish they’d quit it with the rgb lights

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some people like that stuff so whatever, just as long as I can turn it off somewhere.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It would be cool if they used it for something other than just rgb bling, like a battery indicator, system load gauge, temperature, volume etc. I wonder how programmable the LED hardware is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

I wonder how programmable the LED hardware is.

On something like this? probably pretty binary lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cheap mouses with lights on can show that kind of info, I’d assume these could too since they need to be able to get info from the device in order to change the colours which is an expected function of any RGB light.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

It would be cool if they used it for something other than just rgb bling, like a battery indicator, system load gauge, temperature, volume etc. I wonder how programmable the LED hardware is.

If you can cycle it through rainbow colors, it's fully programmable

Wild guess, but probably they're writing a specific hi lo frequency to a PMW pin, or whatever, that the joysticks are listening to. Once you figure out where the signal generator is running, it's trivial to shut it down and rewire it to do what you want. Probably between a 10 and 90 minute project

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Just got two similar consoles: the powkiddy v90 and the anbernic rg35xx sp.

The powkiddy is tiny. Really tiny. Fantastic if all you want to play are old games, especially because it's dirt cheap.

The anbernic is much bulkier, has a better build quality, nice screen and decent battery. Funnily enough, even though I bought the version with an extra sd card full of games, there is not a single Mario game.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Rgb lights grow red when you get a google voice message from the wife.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc Anbernic showed that the stick lights on the RG556 or Cube were programmable. They would change color depending on the stick direction or something like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Mu release that adds sleep support just hit

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The RG35XXSP is on sale on Anbernic's website. It's only 8% off, but that's what the launch price was. I've been sitting on the fence about getting one of these handhelds for a long time--I also have a Steam Deck, modded 3DS, and a pile of GBAs, but something that "does it all" with pretty minimum fuss that I can toss at the kids is appealing.

Since it's been out for a little while now can you folks help me sort it out? Questions:
  • What's the firmware situation? Stock? Modded stock? muOS? What's the benefits?
  • The "+128G" SD card is the one full of ROMs right? I assume it's probably a weird non-specific assortment I'm not interested in.
  • Do folks like the OG GB "Gray" option? It looks appealing to me (I'm a big fan of the colors) but I'm not sure how I feel about the gray bezel--would've preferred black.
  • From Anbernic's website: the China vs. US shipping option--any reason not to do US? I'd assume it'd ship faster.
  • Any benefit from ordering elsewhere (AliExpress)? I guess the drop shippers might be cheaper on occasion but it's more expensive from "Anbernic Official Store" (which is distinct from "Anbernic Direct Store" 🤔).
  • Buttons turned out OK? Any other issues with the units that have come up since aside from the USB-C charging weirdness?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Cippalippus posted:

The anbernic is much bulkier, has a better build quality, nice screen and decent battery. Funnily enough, even though I bought the version with an extra sd card full of games, there is not a single Mario game.

It's standard, especially for Anbernic, to exclude Mario games as the singular olive branch to Nintendo legal.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Mu release that adds sleep support just hit

I'm guessing you can't upgrade in place, you can only reflash for now?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

shyduck posted:

... I just bought a TrimUI Smart Pro and I absolutely love it, but my chief complaint is that it's 16:9 when it cannot run any consoles capable of 16:9.

All right, Anbernic, just tell me where to throw my money...

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The RG35XXSP is on sale on Anbernic's website.

Phew that's a lot of questions, let me try my best..

-You're best off getting multiple SD cards and checking out each OS to see which one works best. In my case I use Knulli, because I have everything set up for EmulationStation and muOS's 'file browser' version of loading a game was extremely slow when opening folders with thousands of games in it. But which one works for you depends on how you use it.

-I don't buy the "+##gb" versions. Honestly I don't even use the OS sd card they ship with. The rom sets are weirdly sorted/named garbage and the SD cards themselves aren't great ones. Just get your games from archive dot org. When you boot the OS it will create the folders your games need to go in, so boot once with an empty card, shut it back down & move the card to the PC, copy your games into the folders created.

-The paint on the SP chips. The color is just preference but be aware that if you pocket it with your keys or give it to kids, it's going to start to chip and look terrible regardless. Personally I don't bother trying to keep these things looking pristine, not worth the hassle.

-Anbernic is in China, if you order from them direct it will ship from China. I don't really remember the option you're talking about, maybe I just selected 'US' without thinking about it, but it ships from China regardless. I assume the option is just for calculating shipping cost or something.

-If you use aliexpress at all you probably already know the downsides to ordering from there - namely, the site is a goddamned mess and it can be hard to understand who you're even ordering from. Folks in this thread have said they've had no problems getting refunds when they need to though. Personally I feel adding a middleman can only possibly add to the cost, so if you see a device cheaper there than from the manufacturer.. that money has to be coming from somewhere. These things are already undoubtedly being made using de facto slave labor, I personally do not trust that 3rd party sellers going lower than the manufacturer are doing it by any means I'd be okay with if I knew. So I just stick with ordering from the source so long as that's an option.

-I did the button mod (2 layers of masking tape on the dpad, 3 on the buttons), and the buttons are still just as loud as they were. I guess they're a little easier to press, but that was never really the issue for me. I might have to open it up and try again. But while the buttons are a little loud, it's just to a point you'd only notice in bed with no ambient sound, it's not that big a deal.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 23, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Now I see that if you order from Anbernic directly they charge $20 for shipping (US to US, $12 for China to US (thanks China Post!)). But if you order from "Anbernic Official" on AliExpress it's free shipping but they still claim to ship from the US.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone try the new MuOS? As advertised? Been waiting to set up my SP until I get CFW with lid sleep

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rolo posted:

Anyone try the new MuOS? As advertised? Been waiting to set up my SP until I get CFW with lid sleep

Tried to download it this morning, but had a failure on unpacking. Trying again, it says it will take 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Silly Burrito posted:

Tried to download it this morning, but had a failure on unpacking. Trying again, it says it will take 3 hours.

Shoot mine is taking 3 hours too, wish I tried it earlier.

Unless anyone here knows another host hmmm