Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Quick question. Is the Logitech Wireless Combo mk320 considered a good keyboard/mouse? I got that for Christmas along with my new PC, and I'm wondering if I should swap it for something else.

Also is this the right thread for that question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Quick question. Is the Logitech Wireless Combo mk320 considered a good keyboard/mouse? I got that for Christmas along with my new PC, and I'm wondering if I should swap it for something else.

Also is this the right thread for that question?

It's a functional keyboard with a functional mouse at an affordable cost. You can get much better keyboards and much better mice at much less affordable cost. Is this thing needs suiting already? If yes, don't worry, it'll keep working. If no, how much do you want to spend and do you want extra buttons/wheels on the mouse, toggleable mouse sensitivity or a non-mushy mechanical keyboard?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

blowfish posted:

It's a functional keyboard with a functional mouse at an affordable cost. You can get much better keyboards and much better mice at much less affordable cost. Is this thing needs suiting already? If yes, don't worry, it'll keep working. If no, how much do you want to spend and do you want extra buttons/wheels on the mouse, toggleable mouse sensitivity or a non-mushy mechanical keyboard?

I think I just need a regular keyboard/mouse. Nothing fancy. So I guess it'll work, then?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Could anyone point me toward a decent replacement for an old Logitech G15? I don't necessarily need a mechanical keyboard, but I'm definitely looking for something with macro keys, basic media controls, and preferably some kind of built in USB hub or passthrough, that will hopefully last me a while.

I've tried sifting through listings on newegg.ca and pcpartpicker, but their sorting options are focused more on keyswitch variety and such than weird options like USB ports.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Logitech G710+ sounds like a good fit. Bonus points, it's a mechanical keyboard as well!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

I think I just need a regular keyboard/mouse. Nothing fancy. So I guess it'll work, then?

Yeah. It's basically a decent quality keyboard/mouse combo that replaces the complete piece of poo poo keyboard/mouse combo that comes with prebuilt PCs without having additional more expensive functions.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

blowfish posted:

Yeah. It's basically a decent quality keyboard/mouse combo that replaces the complete piece of poo poo keyboard/mouse combo that comes with prebuilt PCs without having additional more expensive functions.

Alright, sweet. Thanks! :)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, sweet. Thanks! :)

Just noticed you're the guy from the PC building thread with the weird problems on his Dell. At least you have something that already works well :v:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Back from christmas and I've finally got my Carbon keyset on. Unfortunately I have a double < key :( I still also have 2 7's on my SA retro to, stupid quality control.

(I know I have the [ ] keys on upsidedown, too lazy to take another photo)

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Looking for advice. I've been using a CM Storm Quickfire TK with Cherry Blues for about 2 years, and I love it. Due to my girlfriend working third shift and my PC being in our bedroom area with no chance of relocation, I'm looking for recommendations for quiet or silent mechanical keyboards. I've also seen that you can put o rings or something on your keys to cut the noise, but how effective is that?

I've seen that Corsair worked with Cherry to make silent switches, but of course they're only on their most expensive keyboard.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
O-Rings won't really dampen much of the sound for blues. It would get some of thud of the keycap bottoming out, but the clicks that blues are known for are part of the actual activation mechanism. The Matias Quiet Pro is known for being a very quiet mechanical keyboard.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Psyker posted:

Looking for advice. I've been using a CM Storm Quickfire TK with Cherry Blues for about 2 years, and I love it. Due to my girlfriend working third shift and my PC being in our bedroom area with no chance of relocation, I'm looking for recommendations for quiet or silent mechanical keyboards. I've also seen that you can put o rings or something on your keys to cut the noise, but how effective is that?

I've seen that Corsair worked with Cherry to make silent switches, but of course they're only on their most expensive keyboard.

Cherry silent is s linear switch is something you will hate if you like blues. Best bet is a new keyboard with clear switches and o-rings.

Blues have an actual mechanism in the switch that clicks and can't be silenced.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Cherry silent is s linear switch is something you will hate if you like blues. Best bet is a new keyboard with clear switches and o-rings.

Blues have an actual mechanism in the switch that clicks and can't be silenced.

I think it's more that I love the keyboard as mechanical. I could probably care less about the clicking. Thinking of maybe just getting another Quickfire TK with red switches, but some googling has turned that a black switch keyboard with o-rings is about as quiet as you can get.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Psyker posted:

I think it's more that I love the keyboard as mechanical. I could probably care less about the clicking. Thinking of maybe just getting another Quickfire TK with red switches, but some googling has turned that a black switch keyboard with o-rings is about as quiet as you can get.
I had the same issue as you do, and I bought the CM Novatouch TKL. It sure is more silent than any Cherry-keyboard I've ever tried, but that said I find that the loudness is largely bound to the way you type; bottoming out and/or not "following" the key up as you release it will make any keyboard that much more noisy. Another con: the Novatouch is darn pricey too - you're not getting away from that no matter what I'm afraid.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Psyker posted:

I dont think you realize how different linear feels, its not a sound thing. A tactile keyboard can be just as quiet as a linear, I want you to slowly press a key and feel how there is a bump in the action. Now I want you to think about no bump at all being there telling you are pressing a key, so you could be pressing multiple without knowing if you are a sloppy typist. You don't realize this but you have been using tactile keyboards since you started typing, every rubber dome and scissor switch keyboard has some level of feedback, switching to linear is a big swap especially coming from a very tactile switch.

MX BRowns and MX clears are non clickie tactile and will be just as quiet as a linear while still feeling like a blue.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is this my best bet if I wanted a somewhat DIY keyboard kit? I want a soldering project (and another keyboard!) and this looked like fun.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

frogbs posted:

Is this my best bet if I wanted a somewhat DIY keyboard kit? I want a soldering project (and another keyboard!) and this looked like fun.

Boy did you miss out on the best possible kit by like a week.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Psyker posted:

If you couldn't care less about the clicking, but love the feel of the notched feedback, red or black are not going to be for you. Browns with o-rings, perhaps, but it still isn't going to be as quiet as a mushy cheap rubber dome.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

If you couldn't care less about the clicking, but love the feel of the notched feedback, red or black are not going to be for you. Browns with o-rings, perhaps, but it still isn't going to be as quiet as a mushy cheap rubber dome.

Yeah, I researched more. Mechanicals are just going to be too loud for my current purposes. Looking into a solid Logitech membrane for now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Psyker posted:

Yeah, I researched more. Mechanicals are just going to be too loud for my current purposes. Looking into a solid Logitech membrane for now.

Get a Topre board, I love my HHKB more than any cherry I have ever used.

And with dampening foam they are just as quiet as cheap keyboards.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Clear switches with o-rings and light typing will be no louder than a membrane keyboard, while still being a load nicer.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Psyker posted:

If you do go this route, consider a keyboard with scissor switches instead of membranes, like the wireless illuminated.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
I put a TypeMatrix keyboard up in SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a reasoning behind non-staggered layouts

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Is there a reasoning behind non-staggered layouts

There's no real mechanical reason for staggered keys on a keyboard; they're a vestige of typewriter days when we needed to make space for the levers to be all inline. I find it a whole hell of a lot easier to type on columnar keyset, like on my Ergodox. Keys like 6 and B, which are offset a considerable amount on typical keyboards, are quite smaller stretches.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 6, 2016

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
A columnar layout is something I wanted to try out. It didn't make an amazing difference for me.

In the end there were a couple of cons that didn't do it for me.

1. Alt being smaller on the right side,

2. Ctrl being different sized (and tiny) on the left side,

3. Tab too small,

4. Enter, Backspace and Delete being in the center. I thought this would be nice but it wasn't. It would be something I could get used to though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm not some sort of hyper keyboard warrior or whatever but I know a :krad: set of key caps when I see them.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ColHannibal posted:

Boy did you miss out on the best possible kit by like a week.

The whitefox kit? Yeah, I know... I bought a complete one, but should have just ordered the kit.

Seems like it's pretty pricey to build your own, that was probably my best option. You think that'll ever be available as a kit again?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Can always email Massdrop and see if they can change your order from assembled to unassembled.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I'm not some sort of hyper keyboard warrior or whatever but I know a :krad: set of key caps when I see them.

gently caress yes! i like the horizontal gradient so much more than the diagonal gradient.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm hoping someone here can help me out, at work they've replaced all of our keyboards with these godawful Dell low profile keyboards. I've complained repeatedly about how bad they are, but the complaints have fallen on deaf ears, so I'm looking to just bring my own in. I don't want to spend much, like $70 as absolute maximum, and I don't need any frills on it, no LED backlighting or media features, just needs to have a 10-key and tall, separated keys. I have a Corsair RGB K65 at home that I really like, so a mechanical keyboard would be nice, but not necessary if there are decent some or scissor switch keyboards that have the same kind of physical key design.

I know my $70 is kind of limiting in some regards, especially since I'm leaning more towards mechanical, but I'm hoping someone will have a good suggestion.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cooler master with browns?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Rosewill is a decent generic and ive seen their full sizes for under 70. Also i think some of the other noname chinese companies make even cheaper ones with Alps switches.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've owned both a Rosewill and Cooler Master and they are very comparable in terms of build quality (they're both good.) Rosewill looks a bit more professional with the keycaps if you care about that, and it looks like you can get one for $70:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201083

wa27 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 9, 2016

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Awesome, thank you all very much.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with the 55g Realforce TKL? Massdrop has them up again, and I'm eyeing it pretty seriously. Lack of aftermarket keycaps is a bit of a downer, though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Deviantfish posted:

Anyone have experience with the 55g Realforce TKL? Massdrop has them up again, and I'm eyeing it pretty seriously. Lack of aftermarket keycaps is a bit of a downer, though.

I love my topre HHKB, and you can do a Novatouch cannibalization in the future (or somebody can start selling the stems eventually) to add cherry compatability. I swapped a few keys with a MX slider I got on shapeways on my HHKB and they work just like they did before but now I can stick a cherry keycap on a few keys.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
How should I clean up this NTC Co. 6151EA? I don't want to screw up the keycaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Please stop posting gifs of my life, tia

• Locked thread