Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Crypt of the NecroDancer is a weeklong deal this week if you never peer into that particular abyss. You should very much get it if you don't have it already.

Zombie Driver HD Complete is all of $3. It's a fantastic little game that's like a mission-based old-school GTA with zombies.

Miasmata is a really cool walking-sim sort of game where making your own maps and learning to concoct medicines are the main focuses. Also not getting eaten by the thing stalking you.

I'm wondering if I should start stocking up on bargain basement horror games for October, but the thought already fills me with dread. The bad kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Didn't Tomb Raider sell ridiculously low on Xbox during the exclusivity period, like five-figure sales numbers compared to the original's millions? The original Xbox was so great for ts time, watching them implode so badly is just painful.

Its almost as if they made literally the worst decisions they could regarding the Xbox One. I don't think they could have hosed up better if they tried.

quote:

Mussolini's hanging corpse is used as one of the corpse textures on Doom :eng101:

What :aaa:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
March of

Day 1: 80 Days
Day 2: The Journey Down: Chapters 1 and 2
Day 3: Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
Day 4: Gray Matter
Day 5: Fran Bow
Day 6: Syberia

Day 7: The Dream Machine: Chapters 1-5

The Dream Machine is an episodic series that began in 2010 by Cockroach Inc., a team of two Swedish guys. One noticeable quality of the game is that the game is pretty much made entirely in stop motion. All the environments and characters are handcrafted out of clay, cardboard, and other materials. Due to the fact that its stop motion, the team is so small, and other real life responsibilities the game has been real slow going. In five years five out of six planned chapters have been released. Chapter 5 released late 2014 and that’s when I got into the game. The final chapter is currently in development but its release is TBA. They’ve been giving the game monthly patches in the meantime at least.

The Dream Machine begins with a young couple and soon to be parents, Victor and Alicia, moving into a new apartment building. Things seem to be going fine until they start having strange dreams as well as discovering notes left by the previous tenant warning them of danger. The shady landlord, Mr. Morton, doesn’t inspire much confidence either. As Victor explores their apartment he discovers his suspicions to be true, Morton’s been spying them on with a hidden camera. As Victor digs deeper it’s revealed that Morton and his family were scientists that studied dreams. Their ultimate creation was The Dream Machine, which enabled a person to enter another person’s dreams. The Morton family couldn’t continue their research due to unethical practices and their lab was closed but Mr. Morton has been using The Dream Machine on his tenants ever since to continue his studies. Unbeknownst to him, The Dream Machine has gained sentience over the years and now desperately seeks life and independence by any means. It murders Mr. Morton and then traps all the tenants aside from Victor in their sleep so it can feed off their dreams, it’s only means of survival. Now Victor must use one of Morton’s inventions, a dream helmet, in order to enter the tenants’ dreams to stop The Dream Machine from killing them and becoming strong enough to escape into the world at large.

The Dream Machine is a fantastic game visually. The stop motion is gorgeous and it gives the dreamscapes an even more surreal atmosphere, some of the dreamscapes are especially neat. The soundtrack is all the right kinds of dream-like ambiance. Gameplaywise it’s a traditional point and click but it’s in the new school of design. There a few genuinely obtuse puzzles but most are good and logical. The writing is also good stuff. For starters, Morton and The Dream Machine are both morally grey antagonists. The former is an unethical sneak but he genuinely wanted to use his research for a good purpose while The Dream Machine just wants to be free to live its own life, but the only way it can is to kill innocent people. That doesn’t stop it from being really intimidating though, there’s some nightmarish things later on in the game. And what Morton does ties into the themes of voyeurism as well. Even though Victor is trying to save his wife and fellow tenants, he still feels gross intruding on their innermost memories, especially after learning about how Morton’s been doing it for years. Victor also struggles with becoming a father and husband and his development deals with it as the games goes on.

The Dream Machine is a beautiful game that definitely needs more love. Hopefully Chapter 6 will be soon.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Mung Dynasty posted:

The new Tomb Raider is good but it's a "safe" kind of good complete with a gathering and crafting mechanic.

There's basically nothing genuinely wrong with it but I can see why it's not selling like crazy. I somehow liked the reboot better than Rise.

It also doesn't help that they replaced the crazy cultist bad guys with bland generic mercenaries. The reboot had a lot more personality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Mussolini's hanging corpse is used as one of the corpse textures on Doom :eng101:
I thought that was Commander Keen?

edit: On an unrated note, Quell Collection is a weekend deal. Chillest puzzle games you'll ever play.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 7, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Crashbee posted:

It also doesn't help that they replaced the crazy cultist bad guys with bland generic mercenaries.

The deathless are pretty rad and I wish there were more action games that incorporated Byzantine elements.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mung Dynasty posted:

The new Tomb Raider is good but it's a "safe" kind of good complete with a gathering and crafting mechanic.

There's basically nothing genuinely wrong with it but I can see why it's not selling like crazy. I somehow liked the reboot better than Rise.
Nah it's really good because the campaign is just the tip of the iceberg. There are also very complex challenge and endurance modes that the devs put a ridiculous amount of effort into considering that most people will only play the campaign and leave it at that.

Basically you can launch some custom extreme scenarios in the unlocked regions of the game where Lara has to fulfill specific goals. In those scenarios your gameplay is modified by game cards that are applied at level launch which are either good or bad for you. So for example you can't heal during a level but you get all the unlocks from a skill tree or your shotgun is fully upgraded from the start etc. The maps are static but the enemies, objectives, time of day etc can all be changed. Those add modifiers to your points. You can challenge friends to beat your score and you basically get currency based off your score and that can be used to buy other cards.

Of course there's a microtransaction aspect added to this but you honestly don't need to buy anything to have fun. You get coins for cards during the normal playthrough and by completing the scenarios themselves.

There are also some weird/funny cards in the mix:

Another thing is the endurance mode where hunger and temperature mechanic are added to the game and the gameplay is divided into a day/night cycle with resource gathering during the day and combat in the night. You have to try to survive as long as you can.

All of this is actually surprisingly well done and could be fun to people who would otherwise skip a mainstream title like TR.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Nah it's really good because the campaign is just the tip of the iceberg. There are also very complex challenge and endurance modes that the devs put a ridiculous amount of effort into considering that most people will only play the campaign and leave it at that.

Basically you can launch some custom extreme scenarios in the unlocked regions of the game where Lara has to fulfill specific goals. In those scenarios your gameplay is modified by game cards that are applied at level launch which are either good or bad for you. So for example you can't heal during a level but you get all the unlocks from a skill tree or your shotgun is fully upgraded from the start etc. The maps are static but the enemies, objectives, time of day etc can all be changed. Those add modifiers to your points. You can challenge friends to beat your score and you basically get currency based off your score and that can be used to buy other cards.

Of course there's a microtransaction aspect added to this but you honestly don't need to buy anything to have fun. You get coins for cards during the normal playthrough and by completing the scenarios themselves.

There are also some weird/funny cards in the mix:

Another thing is the endurance mode where hunger and temperature mechanic are added to the game and the gameplay is divided into a day/night cycle with resource gathering during the day and combat in the night. You have to try to survive as long as you can.

All of this is actually surprisingly well done and could be fun to people who would otherwise skip a mainstream title like TR.

Holy crap, this just bumped the game up to must have for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
!!! When did No Man's Sky go up for pre-order? I'm not pre-ordering it because I wanna wait for reviews to come in, but I'm tentatively excited. I didn't realize it was coming out for PC at all until I saw it on Steam just now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

Miasmata is a really cool walking-sim sort of game where making your own maps and learning to concoct medicines are the main focuses. Also not getting eaten by the thing stalking you.

Miasmata is extremely cool and good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Miasmata basically has the the best enemy apart from Alien Isolation.

This one you can actually get away from reasonably easy once you figure out its behaviour.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mung Dynasty posted:

I liked Fable. Even 3. At least they're better than Amalur, right?
I guess I mean more that Fable doesn't have high expectations, not that the games hold any meaning themselves to me. The brand is known but not good, and it seems like you could make a Fable game and sell a Fable game without doing anything too daring.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

Holy crap, this just bumped the game up to must have for me.
Here are some example cards:

Melee atacks setting enemies on fire is a pretty metal idea.

Here are some example basic challenges you can set at the start:

There are tons of those and those last ones are really difficult.

Everything that you set to a higher difficulty and more difficult challenges give you proportionally more money that you can spend on more cards, it's cool.

Note that you can play the challenge scenarios in the main game but the endurance mode comes with the season pass or as a separate DLC.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rise just randomly crashes my video card, which is really bothersome, since even running it on low with all effects off doesn't help. I can play other games (like Tom Clancy's The Division) on medium-high graphics fine, but Rise is doing something weird

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Palpek posted:

This sounds extremely cool and I hope developers keep doing side modes like this. The making GBS threads on SUPERHOT by all the morons who didn't even play the endless and challenge modes worries me a bit that it might not catch on.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Miasmata is awesome and you should all buy it. Alien: Isolation cribbed a lot off of it, but it is very much its own beast: a survival horror game that really does not skimp on the "survival" part. People have said the monster is easy to avoid and not very scary, but when you fall down a hill and lose the rare plant you found, end up getting completely loving lost and trying to limp your way back to a safehouse or a visible landmark before night falls and that loving heartbeat noise starts up, you'll be plenty scared.

My only problem with it is that the engine kind of sucks, but apparently the whole game was made by like two guys so I can give that a pass.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha I forgot about the whole "falling down a hill and dropping everything you're carrying thing." It's kind of amazing and you really feel like a weak dork for about half of the game. Also orienteering to fill out your map is extremely cool and nights are goddamn dark.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Popular Human posted:

Miasmata is awesome and you should all buy it. Alien: Isolation cribbed a lot off of it, but it is very much its own beast: a survival horror game that really does not skimp on the "survival" part. People have said the monster is easy to avoid and not very scary, but when you fall down a hill and lose the rare plant you found, end up getting completely loving lost and trying to limp your way back to a safehouse or a visible landmark before night falls and that loving heartbeat noise starts up, you'll be plenty scared.

My only problem with it is that the engine kind of sucks, but apparently the whole game was made by like two guys so I can give that a pass.

Echoing this, Miasmata is one of my favorite games in a long time. It is so loving janky, but in a kind of fun and endearing way like Mount & Blade.

The game sets up a false sense of progression that you rarely see anymore. Everything is trucking along fine until you realize that you actually just got out of the tutorial and the hand holding completely stops. Then it's just you, a monster, and a gigantic island chain that you have to explore with no guide and no direction. You've been taught how the map works and how to work with plants but you get this feeling like you're truly starting at square one in an uncaring world. Kinda reminds me of Dark Souls to some extent, but less contrived.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only part of the new Tomb Raider games that is better than what everyone else is doing is the puzzles. I wish that they focused on that instead of chasing the survival trend and throwing waves of shoot dudes at you. They did a pretty good job of putting a unique spin on that stuff, but in the end I'd rather be pulling poo poo around on ropes or figuring out the right way to burn stuff than unlocking the new slightly different shotgun.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Triumph announced today that Age of Wonders III has sold 500k copies of the game and about that many of the expansions. Congratulations to that one goon that works there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

Then it's just you, a monster, and a gigantic island chain that you have to explore with no guide and no direction. You've been taught how the map works and how to work with plants but you get this feeling like you're truly starting at square one in an uncaring world. Kinda reminds me of Dark Souls to some extent, but less contrived.
The monster is also really cute and the moment you figure out what its AI is based on is just priceless.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Zombie Samurai posted:

This sounds extremely cool and I hope developers keep doing side modes like this. The making GBS threads on SUPERHOT by all the morons who didn't even play the endless and challenge modes worries me a bit that it might not catch on.

ugh, that annoys the poo poo out of me. i love when devs put really well thought out and fully developed side modes in games but no one ever takes them into account or just straight up ignore them

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I should probably play Miasmata again, I tried it way back when and didn't get too far into it before getting distracted by shinier games. In fact, I don't think I ever saw whatever this monster is.

That said... isn't Tricordrazine from Star Trek? :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I should probably play Miasmata again, I tried it way back when and didn't get too far into it before getting distracted by shinier games. In fact, I don't think I ever saw whatever this monster is.

That said... isn't Tricordrazine from Star Trek? :v:

It turns out that the makers of this video game are dorks.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Justin_Brett posted:

Does Way of the Samurai 3 do anything 4 doesn't?
20+ ending variations. Different period. One-hit kill gameplay mode. Kill or spare is decided by your blade mode, not by the script, so its entirely possible to do a long no-kill run. Stamina is not regen. Blades do not bleed durability with every use to you don't have to haul piles of items to keep your sword functional. Basically, the combat is way better if you want swords and don't care about other poo poo or using one blade in different styles.
You can get killed by children when you play hide and seek with them.

You can get a girl to live with you and she will break your items and lose your money if you pick the wrong one.

There's a girl you can only get if you worship cats.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SelenicMartian posted:

You can get killed by children when you play hide and seek with them.

You can get a girl to live with you and she will break your items and lose your money if you pick the wrong one.

There's a girl you can only get if you worship cats.

Is this real life the game?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Way of the Samurai 3 janky, disjointed, and there's not a lot of interesting things to do.

I bought the PS3 version years and go and then just refunded it after not having fun with at all.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Palpek posted:

I have to say, I'm guilty of not trying the challenge/card mode thing in the new TR. I took one look at it and went "uhh this looks way too complex and I just beat the game and would rather play Stardew instead" :ohdear:

I think they probably should have had a way to ease/guide players into that mode since I had no idea what the gently caress all these cards and poo poo where to begin with. It really does a poor job there. Like perhaps tie challenges into the main hub of the game at campfires or something somehow. Really, anything. Like imagine if you had to exit the menu and go play Gwent through the main menu screen, it would have been totally neglected.

It does look really cool though so maybe I should back and play it though I think I uninstalled it already :(

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 7, 2016

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

The Devil Tesla posted:

The only part of the new Tomb Raider games that is better than what everyone else is doing is the puzzles. I wish that they focused on that instead of chasing the survival trend and throwing waves of shoot dudes at you. They did a pretty good job of putting a unique spin on that stuff, but in the end I'd rather be pulling poo poo around on ropes or figuring out the right way to burn stuff than unlocking the new slightly different shotgun.

I hate puzzles in action adventure games and wish TR was still about exploring giant, mildly creepy cave temples and shooting the occasional bear or bat.

Guess everyone wants a different thing from Tomb Raider.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Is Games Republic reputable? They have Wasteland 2 for $25 which has been on my wishlist for a while.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Is Games Republic reputable? They have Wasteland 2 for $25 which has been on my wishlist for a while.

A bunch of people got extra copies of Wasteland 2 from the Humble Monthly so like G2A has it for 5 USD.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yeah they're legit.

Skip back a few pages for opinions on G2A, think it should probably be added to the Steam thread cycle by this point

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I hurfed around with exploring ? marks all over in Witcher 3, because I am finally getting around to the main quest again and it's great. Triss doesn't gently caress around.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ehhhh, it's G2A though. I guess for $5 it's not a huge risk $20 is a big enough difference to me to chance it.

edit: Paypal just rejects payment to G2A. Oh well. I'll just eat the extra and buy it from Games Republic.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2016

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

Ehhhh, it's G2A though. I guess for $5 it's not a huge risk $20 is a big enough difference to me to chance it.

Use PayPal, any problems and do a chargeback for not receiving a working, as described product.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Nathyrra posted:

Use PayPal, any problems and do a chargeback for not receiving a working, as described product.

Use your credit card if you want to do a chargeback. Paypal will gently caress you.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

or just don't buy poo poo from places sketchy enough that you have to be prepared to charge back in case it doesn't work, hth

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Anyone else playing Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight? I'm digging the game so far, but it's kicking my rear end. I have a feeling I'm not dodging enough, but I'm not sure if there's anything else to it..

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ragequit posted:

I guess I hurfed around with exploring ? marks all over in Witcher 3, because I am finally getting around to the main quest again and it's great. Triss doesn't gently caress around.

This scene was loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Anyone else playing Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight? I'm digging the game so far, but it's kicking my rear end. I have a feeling I'm not dodging enough, but I'm not sure if there's anything else to it..

If you're having trouble against regular enemies, my best suggestion would be to be aggressive when fighting them. Pretty much everything will die in a couple of hits and is prone to getting staggered, so don't try to play too defensively. The bow is really useful for getting some free hits, too. Also if you're early on, take note that consumable items recharge at save points, so don't hold back on using healing items.

Bosses are mainly just pattern recognition, and dodging is very effective against most of them since you can dodge through enemies. If you're at the point past the first two bosses, I'd suggest doing the Cinder Chamber first since the boss isn't too hard and the skill you get for beating it is probably the most useful one in the game when it comes to not getting hit.

• Locked thread