Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Two. Agonizing. Hours.

This is what people say when they get in the car with me to drive to Salinas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bedshaped posted:

I wouldn't put any weight into "... behind the scenes ..." gossip. I'm still waiting on that new Stargate continuation/reboot promised a decade ago.

Another thing I'm surprised hasn't come back. Nice to see something happened with B5 though.

Though wouldn't the big problem with Stargate is MGMs utter collapse?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
God, i’d love something new from the Stargate franchise.

I saw this on YouTube a few weeks ago and think such a reboot or remake could be rad in the right hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doMkPq0KuM8

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Didn't Amazon gobble up MGM? Why isn't there any Star Gate on my Primevideo then?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not too long ago there was news that they're working on a new Stargate that would pick up after SG1/Atlantis and involve Daniel and Carter in some capacity, but obviously that doesn't mean it'll go anywhere.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smooth jazz posted:

JMS is one of of the few reasons I haven't uninstalled twitter. The guy seems to spend so much time there it's a miracle he gets any work done.

Pro follow.

Anyways, glass raised for Expanse 0606
I don’t know if he still is, but JMS was super active on various B5 newsgroups and mailing lists back in the mid-90s and all the way up to the early 2010s.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Here we go!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No x-ray bonus video for this last ep?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol if it's a 45 minute episode and the remaining 22 minutes is a blooper reel.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol if it's isn't a 45 minute episode and the remaining 22 minutes is

Normy posted:

Bobby and Amos having wild group sex at the brothel

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
This is the most star-studded assault team imaginable!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The names on the assault pod screen. Beautiful

Edit yesss

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 14, 2022

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Magnificent.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

:nice:

Suicide run?

Too bad Ripley wasn't a woman.

I wonder if Xan will use some sort of magical power to stop the war at the last moment.

Raiders of the Lost Ark vibes

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 14, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Oh man it's on, not reading anything time to watch. I'm going to miss this show so much

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Marco going out like a chump, not in combat was pretty fun.

Holden continues to Holden.

Laconia stuff seems to have only been there to explain why the Martians didn't come to Marco's aid. I need to get back to reading the books so I can read the novella.

Didn't really feel like an ending, but it was satisfying in a way. Kinda like the Bojack Horseman ending - nothing is really resolved, there's so much more to see, but gotta end somewhere.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

holmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that was a satisfying enough ending, still have no idea what was actually going on with the Laconia stuff, a few loose ends left in the air. I think these issues could have been fixed with a full season, but whatever. I'm not disappointed and I can't wait until I get to watch it all again. Also that list of names. They really dug into some great sci-fi for those names.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I spent like three minutes looking at that and grinning.

The only ones I'm not sure of or couldn't easily figure out from Wikipedia are K. Garrity, H. Ochiai, R. Levine, L. Banks, R. Stone, and R. Neary. Out of the 30 names they picked, aside from Bobbie and Amos, I knew 10 instantly. Ackbar and the whole Aliens crew jumped out immediately.

SpaceCommie posted:

Didn't really feel like an ending, but it was satisfying in a way. Kinda like the Bojack Horseman ending - nothing is really resolved, there's so much more to see, but gotta end somewhere.

I agree with this. In a way, it reminds me of the ending of the first Mass Effect game, in that there's clearly more stories that can be told, as Naomi alludes to, but it's a fitting conclusion to what we've seen so far.. That said, I'd love to see more of The Expanse.

Also, I thought the battle scenes in this episode were great and quite brutal. I don't think we've seen that kind of quick and deadly space combat in a while. I know there's some of it earlier in the series, but I'm blanking on the last instance of it right now off the top of my head.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 14, 2022

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Marco giving a big rallying speech then getting eaten by extradimensional gods like a bitch was everything I hoped it would be.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

It’s a shame that Marco didn’t recognise his fate slightly earlier. Seeing him sprinting down a corridor to try and stay outside of the ring’s boundary would have been a hoot.

Anyway, I’d say that was a good season finale and decent ending to the entire show. I prefer the softer ‘Life goes on’ approach, instead of all characters having their dreams fulfilled or being dead or scattered.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I was hoping Filip would decide to GTFO like in the books, the circumstances were different but I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 14, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

been like an hour and I'm still lmaoing extremely hard at Holden doing an uno reverse card on avasarala over the whole ring union presidency thing, a shittier series absolutely would have ended it with holden being President of ring space no strings attached and I'm glad they led everyone on exactly long enough

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
eh, they were only given 6 episodes to finish this. after seeing how much Amazon butchered wheel of time by cutting so much time that they originally wanted (2 hour first episode, 10 episodes a season), I guess it makes sense that the showrunners are telling people not to get mad at Amazon Studios. It was a good sendoff for what they were allowed this season

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

been like an hour and I'm still lmaoing extremely hard at Holden doing an uno reverse card on avasarala over the whole ring union presidency thing, a shittier series absolutely would have ended it with holden being President of ring space no strings attached and I'm glad they led everyone on exactly long enough

This was a good fakeout for book readers too, since in the book Holden just goes gently caress no immediately and nominates Michio Pa (whose book plot was given to Drummer in the show). They had me going for a minute. Same with the fakeout of killing Filip.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Barreft posted:

eh, they were only given 6 episodes to finish this. after seeing how much Amazon butchered wheel of time by cutting so much time that they originally wanted (2 hour first episode, 10 episodes a season), I guess it makes sense that the showrunners are telling people not to get mad at Amazon Studios. It was a good sendoff for what they were allowed this season

Can't wait until Amazon is the BBC and gives us three episodes of a show once every three years.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Transport Union? We fought this crap for a Transport Union? wtf?!?!?

That's the same poo poo the Belters had before with control of Medina Station.

uggghh.

S7: adventures of proto zombie kid in Spaaaace.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

gfarrell80 posted:

Transport Union? We fought this crap for a Transport Union? wtf?!?!?

That's the same poo poo the Belters had before with control of Medina Station.

uggghh.

S7: adventures of proto zombie kid in Spaaaace.

The Belters are now explicitly in control of all traffic coming and going through the rings. They effectively, codified into law, hold the entire future of humanity in their hands. As opposed to sort of maybe a little defacto doing so due to Medina station being parked in Ring Space but the inners could just stomp all over it at a moment's notice with a fleet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
At this point can we talk about the books at least with spoilers because I mean the odds are very little that the show is gonna go further

The hand wringing about the Transport Union is what has me asking this. It makes perfect sense. UNTIL.....

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Legitimately lol'd at the Dad on Laconia freaking out and stuffing his resurrected kid into a locker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

At this point can we talk about the books at least with spoilers because I mean the odds are very little that the show is gonna go further

The hand wringing about the Transport Union is what has me asking this. It makes perfect sense. UNTIL.....

The books seem different enough that people might still want to avoid spoilers. You can always just go to the book thread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a spoiler thread here in TVIV too. I'm not a mod here but I'd say anything up through Babylon's Ashes/Strange Dogs is fair game here and beyond that goes in the spoiler thread.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Fair enough.

The transport union makes perfect sense and it's the correct peaceful solution to Marco's bullshit. The ring gates would possibly make belters extinct. But I'm with the union, people who live on planets don't need to leave them for months (what you need to do for interested commerce) and can leave it to the people who are used to living in those conditions. It really makes a lot more sense but Marco only cared about attention/glory.

Though also, the UNN and Mars probably wouldn't have listened until they were given a reason to listen. They would have been very happy to just let belters die off.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
yeah it was good, good ending to a good show

lmao forever at marco just getting loving deleted from reality I am glad I didn't read the books this was so sweet

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tighclops posted:

yeah it was good, good ending to a good show

lmao forever at marco just getting loving deleted from reality I am glad I didn't read the books this was so sweet

Lol as a book reader I was hoping this would be left intact on screen and am very happy it was

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

gently caress, that quick cut to Naomi with baby Fillip was a massive gut punch.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Nail Rat posted:

Lol as a book reader I was hoping this would be left intact on screen and am very happy it was

That happened in the books too? lol thats great

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah the show isn't really all that different from the books despite what that other poster said. They've combined some characters or whatever and obviously Alex is still a thing.

Show good, finale good. I'm honestly even okay if we don't get the rest. We got the best parts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Barreft posted:

That happened in the books too? lol thats great

All the major plot beats are pretty much the same in the show, yeah. Like in the books Filip gets off the ship when they're resupplying at Callisto, changes his name to Nagata and signs on with a civilian crew so he can disappear. But same result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Zebulon posted:

The Belters are now explicitly in control of all traffic coming and going through the rings.

Really? I missed what the actual powers of the 'Transport Union' are. They definitely were not spelled out in the show.

Mister Speaker posted:

Legitimately lol'd at the Dad on Laconia freaking out and stuffing his resurrected kid into a locker.

That did seem like a legit natural reaction!