Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I want the same game but with classic jrpg combat. Maybe you recruit a party member each act or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Any of these on switch? I finally uninstalled StS on mobile as i felt it was taking over all my idle time-but repurchased it on the switch, at least now I have to go and pick it up and dedicate myself to gaming time instead of swiping right and clicking the app for “one more run”

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

cosmin posted:

Any of these on switch? I finally uninstalled StS on mobile as i felt it was taking over all my idle time-but repurchased it on the switch, at least now I have to go and pick it up and dedicate myself to gaming time instead of swiping right and clicking the app for “one more run”

Griftlands will be on Switch once fully released, but it's PC-only during early access.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I want the same game but with classic jrpg combat. Maybe you recruit a party member each act or something.

This is Banners of Ruin.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Gyshall posted:

What other games should I try to play if all I enjoy playing right now is STS?

Trials of Fire

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Dont get trials of fire it gets boring real fast.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Buller posted:

Dont get trials of fire it gets boring real fast.

Curious, when did you last play the game? It has changed a lot during the early access period.

I mean, it's always a hard comparison to StS, but compared to Monster Train, Banners of Ruin, or Griftlands I think it matches up very well? (For reference, I have 111 hours in Trials, while monster train was "only" a 65 hour game for me.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've been enjoying Ring Of Pain alongside StS.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Curious, when did you last play the game? It has changed a lot during the early access period.

I mean, it's always a hard comparison to StS, but compared to Monster Train, Banners of Ruin, or Griftlands I think it matches up very well? (For reference, I have 111 hours in Trials, while monster train was "only" a 65 hour game for me.)

I last played a few weeks ago. It just gets boring real fast with the items being too many cards in your deck compared to being able to choose yourself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Try Steamworld Quest

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Matt Zerella posted:

I've been enjoying Ring Of Pain alongside StS.

I have no idea how anyone can enjoy RNG of Pain.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jedit posted:

I have no idea how anyone can enjoy RNG of Pain.

They've got some work to do for sure but I've had more than a few fun runs

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Try Steamworld Quest

It was really good, but both those suggestions are still a card game and that's not what I meant, although I see how it sounds now. I'm thinking that card drops are equippable items, relics are replaced by spells/attacks, campfires give back HP/MP, gold and stores are similar to StS. Beating an Act Boss rescues a new party member and the boss drops a legendary, named weapon.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I've been messing with darkest dungeon, but it's more of a meatgrinder and I like the self-contained adventure element of each StS run

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any streamers/youtubers like Joinrbs who play darkest dungeon? Just got A20 finally across both characters on PC and switch :stonk:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Chrono Ark is pretty good.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I got this just now - combat seems like it could be interesting, surprisingly for a game which is so intensely anime

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

If you like Watcher, specifically "failing at basic math so you eat poo poo instead of winning this turn," you should check out Card Quest on mobile. It's very unlike StS in most ways (you choose your deck/relic equivalents at the start, there are multiple set in stone campaigns instead of a single RNG spire) but it's interesting in that if you ever take a point of damage from a non-boss you hosed up. Each class has tons of ways to mitigate damage, provided you spend your energy right.

It's also brutally difficult and unforgiving, speaking as someone who's brought everyone to A20 in StS but is nowhere near unlocking everything in Card Quest even though I had it longer.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Big Mad Drongo posted:

If you like Watcher, specifically "failing at basic math so you eat poo poo instead of winning this turn," you should check out Card Quest on mobile. It's very unlike StS in most ways (you choose your deck/relic equivalents at the start, there are multiple set in stone campaigns instead of a single RNG spire) but it's interesting in that if you ever take a point of damage from a non-boss you hosed up. Each class has tons of ways to mitigate damage, provided you spend your energy right.

It's also brutally difficult and unforgiving, speaking as someone who's brought everyone to A20 in StS but is nowhere near unlocking everything in Card Quest even though I had it longer.

Card Quest is super, super good and I really want more games like it. To my knowledge its pretty unique.

Though I find the game is definitely the most difficult at the start and gets quite a bit easier the more unlocks you have. Barbarian in particular can basically bust the game in half.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

This Chrono Ark game is cool but the story and overworld map parts just seem unnecessary. There's a lot of systems in combat I don't quite understand how to take advantage of yet but it seems like there's more depth to it than I can glean at first glance.

EDIT: also, how the gently caress do you beat the second boss good grief

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

I'm yet to beat the awakened one. It felt like I was cruising up until I fought him. Died maybe 2 turns from finishing him off.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Flex+ is generally not a great card, and regular flex is bad. You had a lot of ways to gain strength in that deck. For a longer boss fight, upgrading demon form and letting it do its thing is often good enough. A few more shrug it off or other good defense would help let you scale. Also you should remove strikes before you remove defends.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

demon form, 2x inflame, 3x flex, and a spot weakness is wildly too many strength cards. flex is really only good with limit break because of its specific interaction, and having multiples of it isnt better even if you do have that interaction. basically every extra copy of a card is denying you a draw of something else you need, and if you needed an attack or a defense card you had a 21% chance to be drawing a strength card instead. i know that three of them are power cards and that then drops down to a 14% but that's still way too high.

your deck has waaaay too many strength cards, even without the flexes, and way too many attack cards with almost no defense. and against the awakened one the inflames are just killing you faster, if you don't play them they're dead draws and if you do play them you're buffing his attack which you can't deal with since you have no real mitigation cards to speak of.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
What's the game with the MS paint graphics that slay the spire is based on? and is it any good?

Mantari fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 10, 2020

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

In addition to the points above, the Awakened One fight gets a LOT easier if you have good defensive resources. Awakened One only scales up damage if you play powers in the first phase of the fight. Otherwise you're looking at set numbers the entire time, and you can sometimes block forever against him. Ironclad's best defensive card against Awakened One is probably Disarm. You permanently reduce his strength, which is particularly good for those multi-attacks. That's a good card to have at least one copy of in your deck, partly because it goes such a long way toward solving Awakened One (It also really helps solve several other fights with enemies that have multi-attacks).

You might not have seen a Disarm, but you probably saw a source of weak at some point. Shockwave and Uppercut are great, though Uppercut pretty much requires an upgrade ASAP. Clothesline is meh, unless it's upgraded, and then it's... somewhere between meh and good. Sometimes I'll skip it because I'm holding out for a better weak card. Just like you don't want to overload your deck with strength cards, you also don't want to overload it with cards that inflict weak. Diminishing returns can really make decks inefficient. But it's often tough to block adequately throughout long boss fights if you have absolutely no weak sources. So if my deck is completely devoid of weak by, say, midway through act 2, I'm likely to take any card that gives me some.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I cannot beat A17 with Silent, Watcher, and Defect. Someone help.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Out of those 3, I'm best with Silent. Can you be more specific about problems you're running into?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mantari posted:

What's the game with the MS paint graphics that slay the spire is based on? and is it any good?

Dream Quest, and its sort of a distant ancestor. It is hard, sometimes in ways that are frustrating. Imagine if there was an act boss that was immune to poison. Mostly a historical curiosity these days.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm yet to beat the awakened one. It felt like I was cruising up until I fought him. Died maybe 2 turns from finishing him off.
You have 5 cards that block in a 32 card deck. That's way too little, particularly when you have a card like Demon Form that will reliably win you the game if you can survive with it in play.

Bloodletting is bad. Flex is mostly bad. War Cry without the upgrade is bad. Getting rid of some of these nothing cards and adding some more defense could allow you to survive while your strength increases.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Yoshi Wins posted:

Out of those 3, I'm best with Silent. Can you be more specific about problems you're running into?

Silent is my weakest class. I feel like maybe I'm picking up too many powers, or picking them up at the wrong tjme? I don't know which block to prioritize, same with draw. I'm really a mess with silent and my wins come off the back of a strong poison deck with block. Anything else I lose hard.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Silent is my weakest class. I feel like maybe I'm picking up too many powers, or picking them up at the wrong tjme? I don't know which block to prioritize, same with draw. I'm really a mess with silent and my wins come off the back of a strong poison deck with block. Anything else I lose hard.

Not sure how much help this will be, but here's something from earlier in the thread:

KonvexKonkav posted:

Silent has some fine scaling cards, but one issue is more that one of the main ways that Silent can scale (playing lots of low-cost cards) is severely punished by the Heart and Time Eater. Much more significantly, the ratio of trash to useful cards is significantly higher for Silent than for the other classes. Let's look at the rares for example: They are

1000 Cuts (mediocre scaling)
Adrenaline (very good, but not as good as Offering)
After Image (pretty good most of the time)
Alchemize (just bad unless you have Bark or Belt, then it's mediocre)
Bullet Time (sometimes good, often not so much)
Burst (great)
Corpse Explosion (very good damage)
Die Die Die (good early on, later not so much)
Doppelganger (lol)
Envenom (a bit like 1000 Cuts, mediocre scaling)
Glass Knife (very powerful frontloaded damage)
Grand Finale (way too complicated to play, like a terrible version of Alpha)
Malaise (GREAT)
Phantasmal Killer (mostly trash, sometimes ok)
Storm Of Steel (see Phantasmal Killer)
Tools Of The Trade (only worthwile if you have discard synergy)
Unload (good with discard synergy or in Act 1, later not so much)
Wraith Form (best card in the game)

So there are at most 5 cards that I'd consider slam picks out of 16, there are many very situational cards and there are 5 cards that are pretty much trash. That's a very bad ratio compared to the other classes and I haven't even gone into absolutely worthless stuff like unupgraded Reflex or Prepared. All in all, in my experience it happens far too often with Silent that I'll look at a card reward screen and get 3 card choices that are worthless for my deck. Compare this to Watcher where I often want to take all 3 cards :negative:. Thanks for listening to my meltdown, I'll have a Coke and a Wraith Form please.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Silent also suffers from low damage in her starting deck and poor common attacks, making her significantly worse at Act 1 than anyone else. It's way less likely you'll be able to fight 2 or 3 elites in Act 1, and that means you'll be weaker going into act 2.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
But when that upgraded Catalyst hits it feels so so right

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Bullet time is awesome.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The two main things that make Bullet Time work are Snecko Eye and Well-Laid Plans (especially if your scaling plan involves Nightmare). Admittedly you want WLP in pretty much every run so maybe it is just good

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
What about the draw 4 discard 1? and the defend 8 draw 2. Both of them make bulle ttime really good.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Acrobatics is good, Backflio is good.

Doppelganger is also good, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Silent is definitely the hardest class to do well with. I'm no pro at this game by any stretch of the imagination (actually I am bad) but Silent seems to have less ways to flip out all crazy than the other three characters. That said, my favourite deck archetype is the one where you just play a stupid amount of Shivs.