Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Monathin posted:

Pointless trades? Why didn't you say so!

Ironic pointlessness aside, why did you do this? Is there an unequal appraisal of player quality thing going on between your teams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
FWIW, I think Timlin will end up being better than Aguilera, and Monathin seems to think the opposite.

There was a bit of strategy behind it on my end, despite its relative lack of importance.

e: And if not, then, well, it'll hurt me more than it'll hurt him.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Merry Marauder posted:

Ironic pointlessness aside, why did you do this? Is there an unequal appraisal of player quality thing going on between your teams?

That Mike Timlin is 37 years old and will probably fall apart on me if I lean on him too hard, I'm much more comfortable with Aguilera being a reliever on my team, considering he's not pushing a state of decrepidness.

For what it's worth, I'd probably cling to a prime Timlin like a drowning man to a liferaft, but I'm a little too antsy about players on the wrong side of 35 considering what the Catastrophes' pitching staff looked like going into SL9.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 26, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mentholmoose posted:

FWIW, I think Timlin will end up being better than Aguilera, and Monathin seems to think the opposite.

There was a bit of strategy behind it on my end, despite its relative lack of importance.

:negative:

I'm going to have to work hard to top that one.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'd like to think I still hold the mantle of pointless trades, in which I traded spare parts plus Nomar for 2-years-younger Nomar and an 18 year old that I immediately plugged into my rotation.

And I think like Brandon Lyon or something, too.

Man, the Self-Congratulators were really bad.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Fair enough.

My position will not surprise you, in that I've been using a Mike Timlin since SL IV, but I'd say the simplest difference is that Timlin is a groundballer, and Rick Aguilera is definitely in the flyball camp, and consequently gives up a bunch of dingers (and sac flies). I suppose the age worry is fair enough, though Timlin's not on the last year of his career (as Sox fans will be quick to tell you), and relievers frankly don't exert themselves too much.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Everyone's doing pointless trades except me. This has to be fixed

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

FairGame posted:

I'd like to think I still hold the mantle of pointless trades, in which I traded spare parts plus Nomar for 2-years-younger Nomar and an 18 year old that I immediately plugged into my rotation.

And I think like Brandon Lyon or something, too.

Man, the Self-Congratulators were really bad.

You also traded me Timelord Perry and Prime Beltran for Youkilis... which now that I know more about the SL I kinda feel bad about doing to you.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pash posted:

You also traded me Timelord Perry and Prime Beltran for Youkilis... which now that I know more about the SL I kinda feel bad about doing to you.

That trade wasn't pointless, though. It might not even have been bad for me given the circumstances. Prime Beltran's useless except as a backup (which I had in Edmonds already) and Timelord Perry wasn't going to accomplish anything with my infield. I was starting like Hank Thompson at 3b or something.

In a vacuum, it was a bad deal for me. Given the marginal upgrade I got at 3b from Youk, it was a good deal. Given how lovely and hopeless my team was, it didn't matter anyway.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Time to Mise.

I really should have picked up Johnny Mize at some point.

Roster changes:
code:
  IN            						OUT                                          
Ty Cobb '14       ]					Manny Ramirez '96 ] via trade with Oklahoma Bombers
Johnny Bench '75  ]
Lou Gehrig '38    ] via draft				Mark Carreon '96  ]
John Wetteland '99]					Jack Ferry '11    ]
Joe Jackson '15   ]                                     George Gibson '11 ]  dropped to feeders
 							Vin Campbell '11  ]
Hank Aaron '68    ] via trade with Oklahoma Bombers	Kevin Seitzer '96 ]
							Jeromy Burnitz '96]
Erskine Mayer '19 ] from feeders
Stadium:
Rose Bowl (Camden Yards)

Lineup:
code:

No DH:

vs. LHP 		        	vs. RHP
CF Ty Cobb '14		 	   CF Ty Cobb '14
SS Honus Wagner '11   	 	   LF Joe Jackson '15
1B Lou Gehrig '38		   1B Lou Gehrig '38
3B Jim Thome '96		   3B Jim Thome '96
RF Hank Aaron '68      		   RF Hank Aaron '68
LF Albert Belle '96		   SS Honus Wagner '11
2B Jeff Kent '96		   2B Jeff Kent '96
C  Johnny Bench '75		   C  Johnny Bench '75
   < Pitcher >                        < Pitcher >

With DH:

CF Ty Cobb '14		 	   
LF Joe Jackson '15   	 	   
1B Lou Gehrig '38		   
3B Jim Thome '96		  
DH Hank Aaron '68 		   
SS Honus Wagner      		  
RF Albert Belle '96		  
2B Jeff Kent '96		   
C  Johnny Bench '75

Sandy Alomar is personal catcher for Camnitz.		   

Bench:
Jackson/Belle
Carlos Baerga '96
Sandy Alomar '96
Billy Williams '64
Omar Vizquel '96

Rotation:
1. Babe Adams '11
2. Babe Adams '19
3. Deacon Philippe '11
4. Howie Camnitz '11
5. Claude Hendrix '11

Bullpen:
CL - John Wetteland '99
SU - Paul Assenmacher '96
SR - Elmer Steele '11
SR - Sherry Smith '19
MR - Elmer Ponder '19
LR - Erskine Mayer '19

Minors:
Brian Giles '96
Max Carey '11
Kenny Lofton '96
Eddie Murray '96
Max Carey '19

Wilbur Cooper '11
Jack McDowell '96

Strategy:
Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: 0
Trying for extra bases: 0
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 0
Giving Intentional Walks: 0
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +3
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 0
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +2
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: 0
Letting Pitchers pitch through trouble: -2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 0

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 28, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Merry Marauder posted:

Fair enough.

My position will not surprise you, in that I've been using a Mike Timlin since SL IV, but I'd say the simplest difference is that Timlin is a groundballer, and Rick Aguilera is definitely in the flyball camp, and consequently gives up a bunch of dingers (and sac flies). I suppose the age worry is fair enough, though Timlin's not on the last year of his career (as Sox fans will be quick to tell you), and relievers frankly don't exert themselves too much.

I noticed that Burma has had a 34 year old Mike Timlin doing excellent for them for some time now. Admittedly, I didn't realize he could put up quite those numbers, so this immediately exploded in my face, but I still feel better about getting a 37 year old off my team. Though I won't be surprised if Aguilera stinks up the joint. I'm less worried about the actual player career (as Timlin's stats are pretty good in a general sense) and more or how Mogul will treat them, since even Timelord Perry, nee Gaylord, who was known for being able to pitch a solid 200 innings a season until his 40s, tends to not exactly shine given how Mogul treats aging players.

It's definitely a consideration, granted, but with my bullpen still kind of a decidedly crumbling mess I'd rather have a good reliever I can somewhat rely on rather than an old great reliever who will probably give me two months worth of good work before mogul decides his time is unnatrually up, ala the Replicants in Blade Runner. Or maybe that one movie about having life timers that came out like six months ago I can't remember the name of.

Edit: In Time! That was it.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 26, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Revenant Threshold posted:

code:
     vs. LHP 		        	vs. RHP
CF Ty Cobb '14		 	   CF Ty Cobb '14
SS Honus Wagner '11   	 	   LF Joe Jackson '15
1B Lou Gehrig '38		   1B Lou Gehrig '38
3B Jim Thome '96		   3B Jim Thome '96
RF Hank Aaron '68      		   RF Hank Aaron '68
LF Albert Belle '96		   SS Honus Wagner '11
2B Jeff Kent '96		   2B Jeff Kent '96
C  Johnny Bench '75		   C  Johnny Bench '75
   < Pitcher >                        < Pitcher >

With DH:

CF Ty Cobb '14		 	   
LF Joe Jackson '15   	 	   
1B Lou Gehrig '38		   
3B Jim Thome '96		  
DH Hank Aaron '68 		   
SS Honus Wagner      		  
RF Albert Belle '96		  
2B Jeff Kent '96		   
C  Johnny Bench '75

Sandy Alomar is personal catcher for Camnitz.		   

Bench:
Jackson/Belle
Carlos Baerga '96
Sandy Alomar '96
Billy Williams '64
Omar Vizquel '96
:stare:

Wow, what a lineup! Maybe the Misers are going to pose a significant chall-

quote:

Rotation:
1. Babe Adams '11
2. Babe Adams '19
3. Deacon Philippe '11
4. Howie Camnitz '11
5. Claude Hendrix '11

Bullpen:
CL - John Wetteland '99
SU - Paul Assenmacher '96
SR - Elmer Steele '11
SR - Sherry Smith '19
MR - Elmer Ponder '19
LR - Erskine Mayer '19

Wilbur Cooper '11
Jack McDowell '96
:suspense:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Speaking of the Congratulators being bad, Super-League X stats are now on SL-Reference!

Now, I know you were all wondering: "The Hunchbacks allowed over 1400 runs? I know they got Super-Lotteried, but their pitching couldn't really be that bad... could it?" And you would be right! Their pitching really was not that bad.

No, this was the bigger problem:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Actually 18-year old Ken Holtzman was pretty good!

and Brandon Lyon was inexplicably adequate!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Surprise, my hitters were terrible! Addie Joss though :stare:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
the 3 highest OPS/ERA+'s on my team were by Burleigh Grimes, Steve Carlton and Eddie Plank. This is a good sign.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Folks say the Kid remembers things from another time, another place. Catch him mumbling something about gunning a man down at the top of the world. Maybe his mind came undone from the stress of it all. Folks say he was there, when not a man survived the Slaughter of Senor Goodtimes, in the 9th Year. Folks say that after that, the Kid picked up a hammer and started walkin' the long road back to Canton. Maybe that's where the story should have ended. But some stories don't stay buried long. In the Eleventh Year, the Kid brought together a team. Ramshackle, at first, but then they started to show that dull light of promise and potential. Maybe it was his past life callin' to him, maybe it was some superstition of ghosts hauntin' him. But when asked, the Kid simply spoke a single phrase, loud and clear:

"My work isn't finished yet."

Team Name: Canton Calamities
Home Town: Canton, OH (Elevation: 1,110 ft.)
Home Stadium: Bastion Field, also known as 'The Bastion'.
General Structure:
Open Roof
Natural Grass
Dimensions:
Left Field: 350 ft.
Left-Center: 390 ft.
Center Field: 415 ft.
Right-Center: 390 ft.
Right Field: 350 ft.
Playing Field
Infield Quality: Excellent
Infield Grass: Medium
Visibility: Fair
Foul Ground: Large
Feeder Teams:
2003 Boston Red Sox
1965 Chicago Cubs
1945 Cleveland Indians
1938 Washington Senators

30-Man Roster:

Pitching Rotation
code:
SP1	2003 Pedro Martinez
SP2	1945 Bob Feller
SP3	1938 Dutch Leonard (Personal Catcher: Elston Howard)
SP4	1915 Red Faber
SP5	1965 Larry Jackson
Starting Lineup
code:
#1: SS 1945 Lou Boudreau
#2: 2B 1930 Charlie Gehringer
#3: 1B 1987 Eddie Murray
#4: RF 2003 Manny Ramirez
#5: 3B 1965 Ron Santo
#6: LF 1965 Billy Williams
#7: DH 2003 David Ortiz
#8: CF 1993 Jim Edmonds
#9: C  1938 Bill Dickey
Riding The Pine
code:
1B  1995 Mo Vaughn
C   1961 Elston Howard
MIF 1938 Buddy Myer
CF 1938 Al Simmons
In The 'Pen
code:
CL: 1999 B.J. Ryan
SU: 1965 Billy Hoeft
SR: 2003 Bobby Howry
SR: 1995 Rick Aguilera
MR: 1995 Mike Maddux
MR: 1965 Ted Abernathy
LR: 2003 Derek Lowe
Minor Leagues
code:
SP 1938 Wes Ferrell
OF  1945 Jeff Heath
C  1938 Rick Ferrell
SS 2005 Nomar Garciaparra
SP 2003 Bronson Arroyo
Strategies:
code:
Hit and Run: +3
Sacrifice Bunt:	-2
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: +4
Stealing Bases: 1
Aggressively Tagging Up: 2
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 0
Giving Intentional Walks: -2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 2
Guarding the Lines: 1
Making Cutoff Throws: 2
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 0
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 2
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting Pitchers pitch through trouble: 2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 3
I have a CSV ready-made to download on my master spreadsheet, here on the page labeled "CSV".

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 28, 2013

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The more I look at the stats, the more I realize how terrible the Llamas were.

Also, even if it was just 20 games; 459 ERA+ for Romo? Goddamn.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Trade!

Madknights Trade:

1999 Wade Boggs

Florida Oranges trade:

2006 Placido Polanco

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Oranges accept and upon approval acquire the final piece of the Springfield Nine.

LINEUP:
2003 Ichiro RF
1905 Nap Lajoie 2B
1989 Barry Bonds LF
2007 Albert Pujols 1B
1931 Kiki Cuyler CF
1986 Alan Trammell SS
2006 Joe Mauer C
1970 Dick Allen 3B
P

BENCH
1926 Pat Collins C (Personal catcher for Pete Alexander)
2006 Placido Polanco INF --> 1999 Wade Boggs 3B
1988 Tim Raines LF
1930 Goose Goslin OF
2003 Mark Bellhorn INF

ROTATION
1986 Roger Clemens
1978 Nolan Ryan
2010 Felix Hernandez
1922 Pete Alexander
1966 Sam McDowell

BULLPEN
CL 1984 Dennis Eckersley
SU 2004 Billy Wagner
SU 2006 Joe Nathan
MR 2006 Pat Neshek
MR 1985 Jeff Reardon
LR 2010 Joba Chamberlain

AAA
1910 Nap Lajoie
1990 Ken Griffey Jr.
1989 Jose Canseco
1991 Vince Coleman
1989 Andy Van Slyke
1976 Rusty Staub
1965 Eddie Mathews
1987 Don Mattingly
1989 Mark McGwire
2004 Mike Lieberthal
1990 Mike Scioscia
1942 Taffy Wright
1992 Ozzie Smith

1904 Cy Falkenberg
1997 Kevin Brown
1991 Sweet Music Viola
1990 Bob Welch
1948 Johnny Antonelli
1971 LSDock Ellis
1999 John Franco
1991 Jeff Innis

Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -5
Trying for extra bases: 1
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -3
Giving Intentional Walks: -5
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -5
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: 3
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 0
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -5
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -5
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -5
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -5
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -5

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 27, 2013

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Do the Plunder Dorks have any interest in trading down?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Tadashi, if you want a 2B I could trade you Pedroia for your pick assuming the guy I want is still on the board.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
oldskool

You still have a pick left, so wait until YOUR ROSTER IS ACTUALLY FINALIZED TO POST A FINAL ROSTER!

Not that some owner's current policy of posting their roster once, and then making edits to it without telling me isn't charming, but I don't really like looking through hundreds of posts to see if you promoted some lovely middle reliever to your bullpen from the minors or not.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
As a Red Sox fan, I had the opportunity to watch both Aguilera and Timlin play for my team. All I can tell you is, in high leverage situations, Timlin on the mound made me feel pretty okay about the world, and Aguilera on the mound made me feel loving terrified.

New World Symphony Trading Block

I feel pretty confident that the guy I want will still be there at #77, so I'm not really looking to trade up anymore. Instead, I'm looking for a decent backup/platoon lefty SS, a RH bullpen arm who doesn't make me want to gouge my own eyes out, and a solid starting C so I don't have to use Joe Ferguson/Hank Severeid outside of emergencies.

What I have to offer:

1923 Browns

-Marty McManus, 23 year-old 2B/3B. Career: .289/.357/.430. 1923: .309/.367/.481. Right now, he's my utility infielder, but he can't really play shortstop, leaving me without a proper backup there. He'd be starting if it weren't for Nap LaJoie.
-Jack Tobin, 31 year-old RF. Career: .309/.364/.420. 1923: .317/.363/.476. Good contact hitter with gap power, probably not enough HR power to play corner outfield in the SL but could be a good 4th outfielder, as he can play center in a pinch. Steals a few bases, never strikes out, just a solid utility option.
-Harry Rice, 21 year-old 3B/OF. Career: .299/.368/.421. 1923: no stats (just 3 PA). Rice is a consistent contact hitter with some speed but very little power, whose real utility is that he plays all three OF positions plus 3B. Unfortunately, he's a rookie, and I'm very deep at 3rd and in the OF, so he doesn't have a roster spot for me.
-Urban Shocker, 32 year-old SP. Career: 187-117, 3.17 ERA, 1.5 K/BB. 1923: 20-12, 3.41 ERA, 2.22 K/BB. I've been looking at my team and looking at my team, and I just don't think we have the infield defense to justify carrying non-Alexander dead-ballers into the season in key roles. Shocker should be good, and has an awesome name, but I think he'd have more value to a team that wasn't starting Vern Stephens and Nap LaJoie up the middle.
-Dauntless Dave Danforth, 33 year-old SP. Nickname: Awesome.
-Charley Root, 24 year-old SP/RP. Career: 201-160, 3.59 ERA, 1.64 K/BB. 1923: rookie. Root is most famous these days for being the guy Babe Ruth hit the called shot against. But in his day, he was one of the better post-dead-ball pitchers. He won't blow anyone away, but he'll be a consistent back-of-the-rotation guy/long man.

1947 Browns

-Wally Judnich, 31 year-old CF. Career: .281/.369/.452. 1947: .258/.338/.426. Wally Judnich was an excellent defensive CF with some decent pop in his bat, who lost his entire prime to WW2. By the time he came back from military service, his legs were shot and his bat speed had gone missing. It's a shame, because he was looking like a potential superstar before the war. Fuckin' Hitler, man.
-Hank Thompson, 21 year-old utility man/racial pioneer. Career: .267/.372/.453. 1947: Rookie. Thompson helped break the color barrier, and can play every position but catcher and short. But he's a 21-year-old rookie, doesn't play the positions I need help at, and hasn't really been great in the SL before (though in limited opportunities).
-Ellis Kinder, 32 year-old SP/RP. Career: 102-71, 3.43 ERA, 1.39 K/BB, 102 sv. 1947: 8-15, 4.49 ERA, 1.34 K/BB, 1 sv. Old Folks Kinder is another guy who lost his prime to the war, but this time in the other direction: He ended up a 31-year-old rookie because the war kept him from coming up earlier. As a result, his career numbers look unimpressive because he spent his whole career past his prime. For the few brief years before age caught up to him, he was pretty consistently solid as a starter and especially as a reliever, though.
-Fred Sanford, 27 year-old SP. This is the big one! He's coming to join you, Elizabeth!

1976 Dodgers

-Steve Garvey, 27 year-old 1B. Career: .294/.339/.446. 1976: .317/.363/.450. Garvey probably should make my team, but I don't really have room for him. He doesn't quite have enough power to play 1B in the SL, and doesn't have enough defense to crack my lineup at 3B.
-Ron "Penguin" Cey, 28 year-old 3B. Career: .261/.354/.445. 1976: .277/.386/.462. Cey's making my team, unless I can find a trade partner for him. I'm just not sure who's starting at 3rd, him or Scott Rolen. Trading one of them would make that an easier choice!
-Dusty Baker, 27 year-old OF. Career: .278/.347/.432. 1976: .242/.298/.307. Baker's injury-plagued '76 campaign doesn't really look good statistically, does it? But he plays all three OF spots and bounced back in '77 with 30 HR and an .876 OPS. Just keep him away from your young pitchers.
-Lee Lacy, 28 year-old 2B/CF. Career: .286/.339/.410. 1976: .269/.314/.346. Lacy's a weird case. He didn't really get a chance to start every day in the majors until he was 36 years old. Possibly all the sweet, sweet cocaine had something to do with it. Also, while he could hit a little, he was pretty bad defensively, and that didn't cut it for a 70's NL 2B.
-Don Sutton, 31 year-old SP. Only if I get a prime Gary Carter or better offer for him.
-Burt Hooton, 26 year-old SP. Career: 151-136, 3.38 ERA, 1.87 K/BB. 1976: 11-15, 3.26 ERA, 1.93 K/BB. Hooton had a big ballpark and a good defense behind him, and pitched like he knew it. He kept his HRs and BBs down, and that's enough to forge a 15-year ML career. Would it work in the SL? Well, it's the dead-ball formula, isn't it?
-Tommy John, 33 year-old SP/cyborg. Career: 288-231, 3.34 ERA, 1.78 K/BB. 1976: 10-10, 3.09 ERA, 1.49 K/BB. 1976 was John's first year back after the surgery that bears his name. So really, it's like his second rookie year! And he has another 13 years left in his career! Seriously, John is a sinker specialist who rarely walks batters and never gives up HRs. He had some control problems when he was younger, but those vanished completely along with his elbow ligament.
-Rick Rhoden, 23 year-old SP. Career: 151-125, 3.59 ERA, 1.77 K/BB. 1976: 12-3, 2.98 ERA, 1.45 K/BB. 1976 was Rhoden's first full year in the majors, and he was doing the standard Dodgers routine: pitch to contact, avoid walks and home runs. Then he got traded to the Pirates (for Jerry Reuss, late of the Wanderers) and promptly proved he could adjust to their smaller ballpark and weaker defense. He was never an overpowering strikeout pitcher, but he was able to up his K rate just enough to survive.
-Charlie Hough, 28 year-old SP/RP. You want knuckleballers? I got knuckleballers!
-Rick Sutcliffe, 20 year-old SP. Look at it this way: if he's on the mound, he can't do color commentary.

2008 Blue Jays

-David Eckstein, 33 year-old physical manifestation of the concept of "grit". Career: .280/.345/.355. 2008: .265/.343/.349. Come on, it's David Eckstein.
-Scott Rolen, 33 year-old 3B. Career: .281/.364/.490. 2008: .262/.349/.431. You know what you're getting with Rolen: plus defense, some walks, a little power. 2008 was nearing the end of his run, but he still had two all-star games and a gold glove ahead of him.
-Vernon Wells, 29 year-old CF. Career: .271/.319/.462. 2008: .300/.343/.496. Wells is my 4th OF right now. He'll give you defense, some contact hitting, and some home runs. Just don't expect things like "walks" or "on-base percentage".
-Matt Stairs, 40 year-old Matt Stairs. Please, I just want to see someone play a 40-year-old Matt Stairs in their outfield, just once.
-Jose Bautista, 27 year-old ticking time bomb. Career: .254/.361/.487. 2008: .238/.313/.405. Bautista is just a couple short years away from hitting his prime, and by prime I mean PEDs. But when he does...
-A.J. Burnett, 31 year-old SP. Career: 143-130, 3.99 ERA, 2.26 K/BB. 2008: 18-10, 4.07 ERA, 2.69 K/BB. Burnett strikes out a ton of guys and doesn't give up many HRs for a power pitcher, but his walk rate is probably a bit high for the SL.
-B.J. Ryan, 32 year-old RP. Career: 21-28, 3.37 ERA, 2.37 K/BB, 117 sv. 2008: 2-4, 2.95 ERA, 2.07 K/BB, 32 sv. Right now, Ryan is my setup man, even though I'd rather have a RHP in that role. Ideally, I'd like to either move him down to LOOGY, or move him to another team.

If there's anyone else on my feeders you're really into, we can talk. The untradables right now are Josh Gibson, Pedro Martinez, and Pete Alexander.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DannoMack posted:

Do the Plunder Dorks have any interest in trading down?

What are you offering?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mrnoun posted:

1947 Browns

Because I like guys who set firsts and had no plate discipline, what do you want for 1947 Willard Brown? NB: I haven't floated this with ownership yet so it's more a general inquiry.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Because I like guys who set firsts and had no plate discipline, what do you want for 1947 Willard Brown? NB: I haven't floated this with ownership yet so it's more a general inquiry.

We're looking for catcher, bullpen, and shortstop help. I guess I'd also take a draft pick, though the guy I'm really looking at will still be there at #77, so that's lower priority for me.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

oldskool

You still have a pick left, so wait until YOUR ROSTER IS ACTUALLY FINALIZED TO POST A FINAL ROSTER!

Not that some owner's current policy of posting their roster once, and then making edits to it without telling me isn't charming, but I don't really like looking through hundreds of posts to see if you promoted some lovely middle reliever to your bullpen from the minors or not.

Whoever I pick, jam in AAA, scout's honor.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

mks5000 posted:

What are you offering?

Well obviously I can't give you anything you can start, but where do you need depth?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

oldskool posted:

How come your AAA is like 30 guys? Do you have a specific few set to make up your 30-man, or can you access any/all of them when the season starts?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The Plunder Corporation Drafts 1978 Steve Calrton, who the cultsts drafted in the 1st round in an EC long ago.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Pander posted:

How come your AAA is like 30 guys? Do you have a specific few set to make up your 30-man, or can you access any/all of them when the season starts?

Teams are only limited to 30 players in their first season, mostly to prevent rookies from bringing a bunch of useless chaff onto their SL roster. After that, the sky's the limit.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pander posted:

You start your first season with 30 guys, but the longer your team survives, the more random debris you end up collecting from the Super Draft, trades, etc.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mrnoun posted:

You start your first season with 30 guys, but the longer your team survives, the more random debris you end up collecting from the Super Draft, trades, etc.

Ah. Gotcha.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

The Purifiers attempt to fix a pot hole with scotch tape and draft 2010 Kevin Youkilis.

kw0134 on the clock!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Trade

The New World Symphony offer:

1947 Willard Brown

The Everett Trues offer:

1974 Don Stanhouse

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sure, why the hell not.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

oldskool posted:

The issue is more than I'm probably not going to edit your team's roster file for a few days, and I won't remember that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Sure, why the hell not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQbN0jFo_k&t=29s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU