Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

What the gently caress is that explosion rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Grendels Dad posted:

What the gently caress is that explosion rofl

its an explosion of dmca protection

sadly there was collateral damage

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the scene where Lord was telling people to make wishes and it cut to Martha Kent in Kansas and she was like "I wish I had a son" and then it showed Kal El's ship crashing. And Pa Kent said "I wish this dog lives the rest of my life"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I hope the wishing stone has the shape of a monkey's paw with only the middle finger extended.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I really loving hated that the stone was literally just in a mall and then when they found it it had loving instructions that Diana just reads in the first like what 15-20 minutes of this movie. So loving stupid

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

In the end Max Lord was just a less horny version of Jim Carrey's Riddler

Mall Santa Metis posted:

my criticism is it should have been gayer
100%

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There are a lot of problems with this movie, but so many of the complaints i've seen from skimming this thread are just dumb nitpicks. Like

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I really loving hated that the stone was literally just in a mall and then when they found it it had loving instructions that Diana just reads in the first like what 15-20 minutes of this movie. So loving stupid

Come on, having strange inscriptions on mystical artifacts that cryptically half-explains what it does is practically a trope! Or the dude who thought Barbara wished to become a furry just because Diana had some cool shoes. :cmon:

Having said that, boy did this film make some interesting choices.

The Egypt sequence seemed entirely unnecessary , Maxwell Lord is given way too much screentime, and alot of that is fat that could be trimmed, Barbara needed more screentime, some of the choices had unfortunate implications (egypt, steve bodyjacking someone), Lords redemption arc should have been given to barbara, everyone apparently just collectively memoryholing the weird inexplicable wishing phenomenon that happened, the floaty action scenes... It just seems like a sloppy film

Having said that, I did enjoy the score, and the little nod to Linda Carter. I also enjoyed Steve and Diana working together, though I do wish they'd leaned on Diana needing to be more creative to compensate for being weak. Wildly uneven movie, all in all

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mall Santa Metis posted:

my criticism is it should have been gayer

also this

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if the same people who are lolling over “Wonder Woman raping a dude” are the same ones who got mad when Captain America’s rapist scenario at the end of Endgame was pointed out.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

ruddiger posted:

I wonder if the same people who are lolling over “Wonder Woman raping a dude” are the same ones who got mad when Captain America’s rapist scenario at the end of Endgame was pointed out.

This doesn't make any sense though and is only a concern if you assume Captain America told her absolutely nothing when there's no reason to assume he lied about himself. It requires a pretty big assumption about a scene that isn't present in the film while the complaints about that aspect of Wonder Woman are all right there and present in the movie.

WW84 clearly shows that both characters are well aware that Trevor is in another guy's body before they have sex.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So Cap tells her and she willingly has sex with him knowing her version of Cap is still sitting in a block of ice.

This isn’t a flattering scenario for either of them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ruddiger posted:

So Cap tells her and she willingly has sex with him knowing her version of Cap is still sitting in a block of ice.

Also that the job she is working at and will for the next several decades has been infiltrated by HYDRA and that she can't do anything about it if she wants to protect the future. Also that their mutual friend is being brainwashed and tortured by HYDRA and they similarly can't do anything about it. Also that Cap kissed her niece, and then Cap presumably interacts with this niece when she is a child.

Mostly tho it's just a thought exercise about how little the Endgame scenario was thought through, and how many weird cans of worms it opens. The WW84 scenario is weird in a different way since it all plays out on screen and everyone just kind of willfully ignores it (FWIW my friends were more concerned with what happened to this other guy's soul, and whether Diana basically killed this guy with her wish but was unbothered by it)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, the MCU is plagued with “don’t think about it” materialism and it’s ideology reflects as such. I can’t speak for WW84 since I haven’t seen it and don’t really care to.

I do hope Zack Snyder makes another Teen Titans Go movie tho, the last one was pretty great.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, it's still a really poorly thought out ending and it really shows how little thought the Russo's gave to the whole thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I mean making the Endgame thing about “rape” made it easy to just dismiss and say anyone talking about it was a creep, but the situation is still fraught with a bunch of awkward questions

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Woah woah woah. The MCU is plagued with idealism. Materialism is the good one!

Violator
May 15, 2003

About 15 minutes into WW84 and this movie definitely was not made for my demographic, I’m totally fine with that.

At least we don’t have to wonder what the movie would look like if it was in color, because it sure as poo poo is.

Did the original WW have the folks on the island in spandex? I thought they were all in fairly realistic animal skins like leather. Maybe that was just JL.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

McCloud posted:

There are a lot of problems with this movie, but so many of the complaints i've seen from skimming this thread are just dumb nitpicks. Like

Come on, having strange inscriptions on mystical artifacts that cryptically half-explains what it does is practically a trope! Or the dude who thought Barbara wished to become a furry just because Diana had some cool shoes. :cmon:

Having said that, boy did this film make some interesting choices.

The Egypt sequence seemed entirely unnecessary , Maxwell Lord is given way too much screentime, and alot of that is fat that could be trimmed, Barbara needed more screentime, some of the choices had unfortunate implications (egypt, steve bodyjacking someone), Lords redemption arc should have been given to barbara, everyone apparently just collectively memoryholing the weird inexplicable wishing phenomenon that happened, the floaty action scenes... It just seems like a sloppy film

Having said that, I did enjoy the score, and the little nod to Linda Carter. I also enjoyed Steve and Diana working together, though I do wish they'd leaned on Diana needing to be more creative to compensate for being weak. Wildly uneven movie, all in all

I mean I've posted more about the the real film problems in the other thread. There's like multiple discussions going on. But after everything that was bad about it, of course I'm going to nitpick. There are wayyyy too many things to nitpick and they all add up.

To say one positive thing in the movie: I enjoyed the fight scene in the White House. It was fun and I wish there was more of that but alas.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crosspost from the Snyderdome Discord:

https://vimeo.com/495033481

The use of the Sunshine track during that scene bothered me enough to re-score it using Diana's victory theme from the end of the first film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

her service in the IDF is kind of relevant considering the film recreates the murder of four kids by the IDF, except she's the good guy and saves them.

As awful as the film’s politics assuredly are, this particular complaint is some weird logic where it’s bad that the Greek character saves Egyptian kids because it distracts from the reality of brutal Palestinian child death at the hands of Israel.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As awful as the film’s politics assuredly are, this particular complaint is some weird logic where it’s bad that the Greek character saves Egyptian kids because it distracts from the reality of brutal Palestinian child death at the hands of Israel.

The Greek character is played by an israeli who supported the idf bombings in 2014 in the Gaza Strip that killed 4 kids playing soccer on a road. hope this helps Chief

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Greek character is played by an israeli who supported the idf bombings in 2014 in the Gaza Strip that killed 4 kids playing soccer on a road. hope this helps Chief

She outright supported it or are you basing her support of child murder off of her mandatory service? because we back up our claims with sources and links here, chief.

E: do you describe Adam Driver as a supporter of baby killers since he didn’t speak out about the marines who murdered kids in the Middle East? Just want to make sure you’re staying on message with your beliefs.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 28, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yes, I understand that premise. But then, what's the next step in the chain of thought here?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ruddiger posted:

She outright supported it or are you basing her support of child murder off of her mandatory service? because we back up our claims with sources and links here, chief.

E: do you describe Adam Driver as a supporter of baby killers since he didn’t speak out about the marines who murdered kids in the Middle East? Just want to make sure you’re staying on message with your beliefs.

Yes. Imagine giving a gently caress about Adam driver

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yes, I understand that premise. But then, what's the next step in the chain of thought here?

This movie is propaganda just plain and simple. That and it’s bad. It’s not like I can do much about it but I won’t be supporting another movie with patty Jenkins or this script writing team. I’ll watch justice league snyder cut and then prob peace out of anything Gal Gadot touches from here on out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the same thing as Call of Duty presenting the Highway of Death as a Russian war crime. Rewriting history, presenting the offender as the hero and acceptable scapegoat as the perpetrator, to an audience that likely doesn't know any better and is going to have that as their first impression. See also Iron Man and 'only shooting the BAD brown people'.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ruddiger posted:

they’re probably referring to this

quote:

I am sending my love and prayers to my fellow Israeli citizens. Especially to all the boys and girls who are risking their lives protecting my country against the horrific acts conducted by Hamas, who are hiding like cowards behind women and children...We shall overcome!!! Shabbat Shalom! #weareright #freegazafromhamas #stopterror #coexistance #loveidf

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The hero telling a victim of child abuse that Truth is Beautiful in the actual film feels way more relevant to the film's completely bizarre world view

It's absolutely not a great movie but I really think it's fascinatingly weird. A delusional Reagan, confused about who and where he is, joining hands with a TV conman to pray for more bombs is wild stuff

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 28, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yes. Imagine giving a gently caress about Adam driver

It’s not about giving a gently caress about Adam Driver but pointing out your hypocrisy, I don’t remember you bringing up Driver’s military history in any of your Star Wars thread posts, but feel free to cite them since I don’t really give a poo poo enough to look.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 28, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The hero telling a victim of child abuse that Truth is Beautiful in the actual film feels way more relevant to the film's completely bizarre world view

It's absolutely not a great movie but I really think it's fascinatingly weird. A delusional Reagan, confused about who and where he is, joining hands with a TV conman to pray for more bombs is wild stuff

I missed a couple of scenes early on but I'm not sure how well they would have contextualised the bit where the guy gets the wishing rock and immediately makes the absolutely bonkers wish to be the wishing rock

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

2house2fly posted:

I missed a couple of scenes early on but I'm not sure how well they would have contextualised the bit where the guy gets the wishing rock and immediately makes the absolutely bonkers wish to be the wishing rock

It's just bog standard wishing-for-more-wishes. Basically the same (goofy) thing Jafar does in Aladdin.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Stop simping for Gal Gadot and

Mr. Apollo posted:

they’re probably referring to this

Cant believe the her MANDATORY service forced her to post this picture. Sorry everyone I take it back 🤷‍♀️

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ruddiger posted:

It’s not about giving a gently caress about Adam Driver but pointing out your hypocrisy, I don’t remember you bringing up Driver’s military history in any of your Star Wars thread posts, but feel free to cite them since I don’t really give a poo poo enough to look.

I don’t like Star Wars and don’t really post in those threads. Keep making poo poo up though, it owns.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah Lord understands how the Dreamstone works so he rules lawyers it into giving him infinite wishes.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He ultimately wants to be the richest coolest dude in the world and could have just used his one wish on that instead of getting there step by step with a million wishes

Like, the dude uses Genie Magic to hire some interns, it's totally weird stuff

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t like Star Wars and don’t really post in those threads. Keep making poo poo up though, it owns.

What exactly did I make up? Your fan fiction is getting weird.

And what part of “I don’t give a gently caress about Gal Gadot” means I’m “simping” for her? Also, lol at using words like “simping” and thinking you’re in the moral right of this conversation.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

He ultimately wants to be the richest coolest dude in the world and could have just used his one wish on that instead of getting there step by step with a million wishes
I guess he understood that it took something from you when you make a wish? :shrug: I suppose he could have countered that by stating what he wanted taken from him or something like that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Nvm

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A delusional Reagan, confused about who and where he is, joining hands with a TV conman to pray for more bombs is wild stuff

I'm pretty sure this was covered in The Clothes Have No Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the same thing as Call of Duty presenting the Highway of Death as a Russian war crime. Rewriting history, presenting the offender as the hero and acceptable scapegoat as the perpetrator, to an audience that likely doesn't know any better and is going to have that as their first impression.

So the idea's that people watching the film will see actress Gal Gadot on the screen and become confused, thinking Gaza is in Egypt and that Israel was trying to protect them from attacks by a third party in 2014? (Or would that be in 1984?)

I'm, like, totally against Israel, but what you're saying doesn't make a lick of sense.