Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

teagone posted:

It's good enough to stream tabs to view content that doesn't yet have Chromecast support. Also, did you buy a Chromecast solely for streaming your desktop, thinking there'd be no drawbacks? It's a $35 dongle meant to stream media content from natively supported apps. Don't be cheap and buy an actual wireless HDMI bridge if you want to stream your desktop wirelessly. Also, I've never experienced any slowdown in my bandwidth while casting my desktop, so not sure what kind of janky setup you got going on.

Yeah I was expecting that kind of reaction. I received it as a gift like a million other people because nobody knows why you'd need it but hey #1 gift this year! If someone you know likes TV get them this!

I know it's not designed specifically for desktop streaming, it's just the one feature I'd occasionally use. My setup isn't bad either I don't think. I usually report 60/45+ mbps on the online tests, and it dropped to below 20 every time I tested it with CC desktop streaming on. Not sure how you'd ever stream video this way, I was getting like one frame every few seconds even with Tab Casting.

eddiewalker posted:

Are you still using 802.11b/g?

Probably although I don't know where you would change that?

These were fresh installs/updates for CC, CC app and the Chrome plugin though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Royal Scrub posted:

If you're running a single-band 802.11b/g router and there's an old "b"-only device on in the house, everything gets else knocked down to "b" speeds.

"B" is slow as balls. That's my shot in the dark about your download speeds.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Royal Scrub posted:

Yeah I was expecting that kind of reaction. I received it as a gift like a million other people because nobody knows why you'd need it but hey #1 gift this year! If someone you know likes TV get them this!

I know it's not designed specifically for desktop streaming, it's just the one feature I'd occasionally use. My setup isn't bad either I don't think. I usually report 60/45+ mbps on the online tests, and it dropped to below 20 every time I tested it with CC desktop streaming on. Not sure how you'd ever stream video this way, I was getting like one frame every few seconds even with Tab Casting.

Calling a gift pathetic isn't nice. And yeah, that doesn't sound at all right in regards to tab casting. I cast Twitch video streams just fine with no dropped frames or decrease in download speeds; I have a dual-band Wireless N router for reference. You'd have to go into your router settings to see if you're set up as a single band b/g/n or dual-band - If your router is dual band, you should set it as that, or force it to be N only.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I got one for Christmas. I'm having trouble completing the setup. My galaxy s4 sees it but can't connect to it to finish setup. If it helps, I'm running a Linksys e2500 with dd-wrt as my wireless. Ideas?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Irritated Goat posted:

I got one for Christmas. I'm having trouble completing the setup. My galaxy s4 sees it but can't connect to it to finish setup. If it helps, I'm running a Linksys e2500 with dd-wrt as my wireless. Ideas?

Is "Client Isolation" enabled on the router? That's the go-to answer.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

Are you on Sprint? If you are, you'll have to disable the connections optimizer. Go to Settings -> Connections -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Connections Optimizer, and make sure it is unchecked. Also, go into Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi, hit Menu, then Advanced. Uncheck auto network switch. Once all that is turned off, you should be able to connect to the Chromecast to set it up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I just tried with Client Isolation enabled. It had previously been disabled. It still has the same issue. I've got a Verizon phone so there's no option for anything on there for wireless.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Irritated Goat posted:

I just tried with Client Isolation enabled. It had previously been disabled. It still has the same issue. I've got a Verizon phone so there's no option for anything on there for wireless.

Client Isloation needs to be disabled.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Irritated Goat posted:

Can you try it with another wireless device (tablet or laptop)?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So from reading the thread a bit, it seems the best way to stream local video/audio content via the Chromecast is Plex and then the Plex web app?

I tried just doing the standard "open a local video file in Chrome, and cast the tab" thing the other day and the audio was about two seconds behind the video.

And then I had an issue with Netflix. I thought the Chromecast app that it made me download would sort of "direct connect" to Netflix and stream it to the Chromecast. But it just pops up a little "info window" telling me all the things it can stream.

Whatever, I guess it only streams from Chrome tabs, so I go to Netflix.com and start an episode and hit the thing to send the tab to the Chromecast...it thinks for a while, then stops and Netflix gives me a DRM error saying the date on my device is wrong...the weird thing is, it said "the date on your device is Dec 29, 2013. This might not be right" or something like that. Except it WAS the 29th. I tried three or four times and got that same error, only when sending to the Chromecast. I didn't see any way to change the date on the device, since I imagine it just connects to the internet to set the date/time.

I then just loaded up Netflix on my phone and cast that to the Chromecast and it worked fine, other than the quality being a little low, and then of course my phone's battery getting drained and trying to do other things on the phone being slow since the phone was doing the downloading and rendering.

So for the rest of my Netflix-ing I just booted up my PS3, which was annoying since I was hoping the Chromecast would be a nice, quicker, way to do things like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I then just loaded up Netflix on my phone and cast that to the Chromecast and it worked fine, other than the quality being a little low, and then of course my phone's battery getting drained and trying to do other things on the phone being slow since the phone was doing the downloading and rendering..

Your phone isn't doing any downloading and rendering while Chromecast does netflix. It only acts as the remote control. The chromecast gets the video directly from netflix.

Quality should be just as good as the PS3 for netflix, it also shouldn't have any performance impact on your phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

DrBouvenstein posted:

So from reading the thread a bit, it seems the best way to stream local video/audio content via the Chromecast is Plex and then the Plex web app?

I tried just doing the standard "open a local video file in Chrome, and cast the tab" thing the other day and the audio was about two seconds behind the video.

And then I had an issue with Netflix. I thought the Chromecast app that it made me download would sort of "direct connect" to Netflix and stream it to the Chromecast. But it just pops up a little "info window" telling me all the things it can stream.

Whatever, I guess it only streams from Chrome tabs, so I go to Netflix.com and start an episode and hit the thing to send the tab to the Chromecast...it thinks for a while, then stops and Netflix gives me a DRM error saying the date on my device is wrong...the weird thing is, it said "the date on your device is Dec 29, 2013. This might not be right" or something like that. Except it WAS the 29th. I tried three or four times and got that same error, only when sending to the Chromecast. I didn't see any way to change the date on the device, since I imagine it just connects to the internet to set the date/time.

I then just loaded up Netflix on my phone and cast that to the Chromecast and it worked fine, other than the quality being a little low, and then of course my phone's battery getting drained and trying to do other things on the phone being slow since the phone was doing the downloading and rendering.

So for the rest of my Netflix-ing I just booted up my PS3, which was annoying since I was hoping the Chromecast would be a nice, quicker, way to do things like that.

When you're in Netflix on your phone, there is a cast button. Tap that, and choose the Chromecast. When you press play on your phone, it sends a command to the Chromecast to start pulling the stream from Netflix.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AlexDeGruven posted:

When you're in Netflix on your phone, there is a cast button. Tap that, and choose the Chromecast. When you press play on your phone, it sends a command to the Chromecast to start pulling the stream from Netflix.

That's what I did.

I thought I read earlier in the thread that the actual device that is signed into Netflix is the one doing most of the work, but I guess I was wrong.

I don't know why the quality was off, but it was.

Though I guess maybe "quality" is the wrong word. The actual video looked the same, at least in terms of resolution, pixelation, etc...but something was slightly "off" about it. I was watching a cartoon, and the movement was weird. Like maybe a few frames were getting skipped? All I know is it looked weird when coming from my phone to the Chromecast, but was fine watching the same thing on the PS3.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's what I did.

I thought I read earlier in the thread that the actual device that is signed into Netflix is the one doing most of the work, but I guess I was wrong.

I don't know why the quality was off, but it was.

Though I guess maybe "quality" is the wrong word. The actual video looked the same, at least in terms of resolution, pixelation, etc...but something was slightly "off" about it. I was watching a cartoon, and the movement was weird. Like maybe a few frames were getting skipped? All I know is it looked weird when coming from my phone to the Chromecast, but was fine watching the same thing on the PS3.

Is your ps3 using a wired connection? It's possible that you are having wifi signal strength issues.

Or that. Try plugging the CC into the same port your ps3 uses.
VVVVV

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 30, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Different inputs on your TV may be calibrated differently.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Super Dude posted:

Can you try it with another wireless device (tablet or laptop)?

Tried it on my mom's crappy LG phone and finished setup. Who knew? :v: I appreciate the help

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

While on the Netflix website you should see the familiar cast icon on the Netflix player interface buttons near the subtitles button. This is the proper way to cast Netflix from your PC. You where using the tab casting feature which is meant to send the entire chrome tab to the Chromecast, casting Netflix that way does not work well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

stevewm posted:

While on the Netflix website you should see the familiar cast icon on the Netflix player interface buttons near the subtitles button. This is the proper way to cast Netflix from your PC. You where using the tab casting feature which is meant to send the entire chrome tab to the Chromecast, casting Netflix that way does not work well.

Ahhh, ok, thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ideally it should do that for you. If you hit the cast button on a tab with embedded video that is castable then it should assume that you didn't intend to do the entire tab.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

The Royal Scrub posted:

My setup isn't bad either I don't think. I usually report 60/45+ mbps on the online tests, and it dropped to below 20 every time I tested it with CC desktop streaming on. Not sure how you'd ever stream video this way, I was getting like one frame every few seconds even with Tab Casting.
This is not normal. My PC from 2010 has no problem doing the 720p stream while tab casting. Is your CPU capable of handling the load of encoding the video? Is your network able to handle the PC->Chromecast traffic in addition to your download test? If both devices are on wifi, that could be an issue.

Essentially, there are lot of things that could cause the problems you're having, but they're not typical problems and not indicative of normal ChromeCast performance.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Am I crazy or does this thing need to be powered constantly? It looks like it should be able to charge itself or something. Otherwise, it works great. Just need to figure out how to hide the power cord since it is hanging out of the side of my TV.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

New Leaf posted:

Am I crazy or does this thing need to be powered constantly? It looks like it should be able to charge itself or something. Otherwise, it works great. Just need to figure out how to hide the power cord since it is hanging out of the side of my TV.

It doesn't have a battery, so if you want to cast anything it has to be plugged in and turned on. I guess you could leave it off and just turn it on when you need it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of "pres butan for vidja"

edit:

Super Dude posted:

Plug it into a usb port on your tv. There is no battery.

Not all TVs can send enough juice through the USB port to power the thing.

nimper fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 31, 2013

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

New Leaf posted:

Plug it into a usb port on your tv. There is no battery.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a thing where some TV's usb ports would actually damage the thingy or the TV if you plugged it in there for power?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

withak posted:

Wasn't there a thing where some TV's usb ports would actually damage the thingy or the TV if you plugged it in there for power?

If it's a USB port labeled "SERVICE" then yes. Those are only meant for (you guessed it,) servicing the TV.

I still don't understand why the Chromecast fucks them up, though...doesn't the Chromecast only use the power pins, and not the data? Or is that the TV manufacturers' fault for using the design of a USB port, but not having it actually stick to USB standards, or something?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is almost certainly a Silverlight error.

Let me know if you figure out how to fix it.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Thanatosian posted:

The fix should be using the Chromecast icon to fling to the TV instead of casting the entire tab.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

If it's a USB port labeled "SERVICE" then yes. Those are only meant for (you guessed it,) servicing the TV.

I still don't understand why the Chromecast fucks them up, though...doesn't the Chromecast only use the power pins, and not the data? Or is that the TV manufacturers' fault for using the design of a USB port, but not having it actually stick to USB standards, or something?
It's the same shape as a USB port but the pinout is different. It's not a USB port if it doesn't have the USB trident logo.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I've been using the service port since I got a CC a couple of weeks ago. If it hasn't messed anything up by now it should be safe to continue using it right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've been using the service port since I got a CC a couple of weeks ago. If it hasn't messed anything up by now it should be safe to continue using it right?
If it has one of these or says USB it's safe.

If not, the TV could suddenly decide it's a good idea to send 20 watts through that port and burn your house down. It probably won't, but without the name or logo there's no telling what the manufacturer intended that port to be used for.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes, although you'll need plexpass to do this if you want to use your phone as a remote. Otherwise the https://www.plex.tv/web/ address might still allow you to cast. (Someone else should confirm, as I'm a subscriber now so I can't tell.)

Also what's the deal with Plex nickel and diming people? $3/mo for plexpass is fine, but don't charge me another $5 for an iOS app when you are giving the android one away for free to subscribers. That just pisses me off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Yes, although you'll need plexpass to do this if you want to use your phone as a remote. Otherwise the https://www.plex.tv/web/ address might still allow you to cast. (Someone else should confirm, as I'm a subscriber now so I can't tell.)

Also what's the deal with Plex nickel and diming people? $3/mo for plexpass is fine, but don't charge me another $5 for an iOS app when you are giving the android one away for free to subscribers. That just pisses me off.

I cancelled my PlexPass the moment I found out I could cast from plex.tv/web - still works fine sans subscription.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Works here, although the Plex web app seems to lose its connection to the Chromecast at the drop of a hat when you pause.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK, I need some help. Got one of these a few weeks ago and I have had nothing but hassles with it.

I can't for the life of me get this thing to complete the set up. I have tried setting it up with my (wireless) laptop, Nexus 4, Nexus 10 and wireless HTPC. All of them can see the connect to my network, see the Chromecast but fail at the final stage with a "Oops there was a problem connecting to your network" error.

I have disabled isolation, ensured UPNP is enabled, have both .NET 3.5 and 4.0 installed and don't have mac whitelising or any other "only accept connections from this IP" type settings on my router.

I actually managed to get it working a week or so ago for a few days by just retrying over and over and over, but then the whole thing froze on me, I conducted a factory reset and I haven't been able to work it since. It also randomly turns on my TV in the middle of the night and boots straight to the setup page.

If it helps, I have a Netgear DG834Gv5 modem. I've also had issues before with my networks which might be the same reason I can't get this to work. These issues include:
-A Western Digital streaming box thing that I have never been able to set up (can see the device, but I can never see shared content).

-My laptop is connected to a HomeGroup that none of my other PCs are and I can do nothing to get it to "forget" or join my actual Homegroup.

-My HTPC can see shared content if I'm connected to my wired home network but can't see it if it's connected to the network wirelessly.

-My Nexus 10 with recently installed Plex app/server can see content in my HTPC library, but both the built in, and third party remote control apps can not find/connect to my library.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Based on your other issues, the router is 95% sure to be the cause of your problems.

It took me less than 5 minutes to set up my Chromecast, and I think you'll find that the vast majority of people in this thread had very little problem with setup.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Well, I went to Netflix's help page for the error (https://support.netflix.com/en/node/192) and the little MS "fix it" tool ran, said that yes, my Silverlight installation was bad, and it "fixed" it by uninstalling and re-installing Silverlight.

If you can't guess from my use of quotation marks, it did not fix the problem. I still get the same error.

I only used to automated tool, I haven't done the manual steps listed below it yet. I couldn't' be bothered to at the time since I just wanted to watch something, so I just used my PS3 again.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

teagone posted:

I cancelled my PlexPass the moment I found out I could cast from plex.tv/web - still works fine sans subscription.

It stopped working for me from plex.tv/web and says even casting from the web client requires PlexPass now, I dunno if its trial based or what. Regardless, I don't see the point in paying for PlexPass since they said they would release the functionality to the paid iOS/Android client.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I went to Netflix's help page for the error (https://support.netflix.com/en/node/192) and the little MS "fix it" tool ran, said that yes, my Silverlight installation was bad, and it "fixed" it by uninstalling and re-installing Silverlight.

If you can't guess from my use of quotation marks, it did not fix the problem. I still get the same error.

I only used to automated tool, I haven't done the manual steps listed below it yet. I couldn't' be bothered to at the time since I just wanted to watch something, so I just used my PS3 again.

Ok, I preformed the manual steps, and now Netflix plays in Chrome, but it still won't play on my Chromecast through my desktop (plays fine through my phone.)

I did it by following these steps:

quote:

Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.
Press and hold the Windows key and tap the letter R on the keyboard at the same time.
Type %programdata% then select OK.
Open the Microsoft folder.
Open the PlayReady folder.
If the PlayReady folder is missing, you either do not have administrative privileges or your Silverlight installation has become corrupt and needs to be reinstalled.
To continue, log in as an administrator on your computer, or take your computer to your system administrator for more help.
If you are logged in as an administrator, use the Microsoft Fix it Tool linked at the top of this article, or see the How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation and then reinstall Silverlight article on the Microsoft Support website.
Right-Click on mspr.hds and click Delete.
If unable to delete the mspr.hds file, skip step 7.
Open a web browser and play your movie or TV show again

Now all I get is a blank screen on my TV, while Netflix just plays in Chrome. I get this error in the upper right:

Edit: Fixed image link.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 11, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, I preformed the manual steps, and now Netflix plays in Chrome, but it still won't play on my Chromecast through my desktop (plays fine through my phone.)

I did it by following these steps:

Now all I get is a blank screen on my TV, while Netflix just plays in Chrome. I get this error in the upper right:
http://imgur.com/delete/PfDJJitwmkQTwXD

Image link is wrong, but jesus, I don't get why you'd have to go through all those steps. I've set up 10+ Chromecasts for family and friends over the holidays, all with varying router/network setups and I've never had any kind of major issue streaming anything from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

teagone posted:

Image link is wrong, but jesus, I don't get why you'd have to go through all those steps. I've set up 10+ Chromecasts for family and friends over the holidays, all with varying router/network setups and I've never had any kind of major issue streaming anything from them.

Yeah, who the gently caress knows. And clicking that "learn more" link in that error message brings me to here:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3269224?rd=1

I don't have any plug ins as far as I know? Well...I guess I have Silverlgiht, but I thought I needed that? Doesn't Netflix use Silverlight? All that poo poo I was doing previously was because of Silverlight having DRM issues.

Glimm posted:

The fix should be using the Chromecast icon to fling to the TV instead of casting the entire tab.

I have no "Chromecast icon" when playing Netflix in Chrome (I assume it would be in the main video controls area and look just like the icon in Youtube/Mobile Netflix.)
My only option is using the "Cast this tab" option in the plug-in menu.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 11, 2014

• Locked thread