Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SSNeoman posted:

I dunno, wouldn't the mysterious voice say "BTW! A dude is tots using Magick and loving with the natural order already! So if you guys could tell him to knock that poo poo off, that'd be greeeeeaaaat!"?

I've learned not to question ancient voices in video games. Especially in TLR which is perfectly content with letting some of its biggest story elements go completely unexplained unless you do the leg work to piece them all together. TLR is very much of the opinion that if you don't need to know it, then it's not going to bother explaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

You are no longer necessary

- Video: Welcome to Koenigsdorf

We’ve had six boss fights leading up to this. I’m pumped. Are you pumped? You’d better get pumped? Let’s go!

Music: My Liege, My Enemy

Looks like we were a bit late. I guess stopping off for those side-quests was a bad idea after all.

What is the Duke of Ghor doing here?! He wasn’t supposed to know about this!

The Duke has eyes and ears the world over. We should not be terribly surprised.
*sigh*

Wilfred Hermeien seems a lot more agile than expected. He’s effortlessly dodging the swings from the Duke of Ghor. He’s showboating too, keeping his hands behind his back.

After this swing, Hermeien moves swiftly…

And suddenly, Ghor is no longer holding Bilquis.

Oh, that can’t be good.

A shadow rises, making Ghor back up.

Oh! It’s that thing that we saw in the Final fortress… except that now it has the Bilquis attached to its back.

I guess this is the Remnant version of Power Armor.

We’ve got to save him!

Mission: Defeat the Ála Mevilana!

Music: Out of Control

- Video: The Battle of Koenigsdorf

I hope you didn’t have any plans for the next half hour, because it’ll take that long to beat down the Ála Mevilana which Hermeien is encased in. I hope you like the music, because it seems to be fixed for this fight regardless of morale. It’s a half-hour fight, and for once, I don’t miss a single critical trigger the entire time.

This is perhaps my favorite battlefield in the game. It looks really great from every angle, and it shows your enemies lined up in the distance just waiting for you. On the first turn, all we can do is close in. If you have David, or Pagus or Roberto or Gaou set as leaders though, now might be a good time to sit here for a few turns and unleash a Gae Bolg or equivalent to clear the board. But that’s hardly sporting, now is it?

Yeah, let’s kick some tail!

Torgal Bluffs and Paris Crushes.

Hooray a status effect was useful!

Torgal’s union’s under pressure, but everyone else is holding fine.

Now I’m wondering if I forgot to re-enable all of Rush’s regular arts after the last fight.

Did Glenys upgrade her weapon when I wasn’t paying attention? (This union died, btw.)

Got ‘im!

Wow!

Torgal’s union continues to hold for now.

Oh boy, Jager’s about to do something really cool and helpful!

Torgal broke deadlock so Paris could clear the poison.

Lob Omen: follow me!

Lob Omen then collapses into a jumble, reducing the cool-factor of its entrance.

Weakling!
Wonderful!

More troops pour out of the canyons and caves as we close in on the gates of Koenigsdorf.

Sure, I’ll omnistrike this worthless schlub. Emmy will full-attack Union K, Kate will polish C off, Jager will full-attack G (or whatever if Rush kills it first), and Torgal will try to keep his HP up.

That’s more like it!

You guys are deader than dead!

Oh geez, Loki, you do NOT kill-steal from Kate.

Three attacks, three dodges.

This union is full of our heaviest hitters. That leaves only one left standing.

We’ve cleared all the way to Hermeien. But what we haven’t done is closed the distance, so we need to spend a turn doing that.

I’m sure that you recognize what this means by now.

Stealth prevents a union from being targeted by another union. If that other union engages the enemy in deadlock though, they can retaliate just fine, making that pretty much useless, except in certain situations. I thought I might as well show it off anyway. After we close in…

As usual, I’ll be focusing on clearing out the weaker enemies first, except for Kate, whose highest AP-using option is for targeting Hermeien. Torgal’s squad has to close in.

A lot of the unions back here are actually just support unions who spend most of their actions healing themselves or the boss. It’s not that helpful to them.

What?

Darien blocks the giant foot about to crush him.

A strong one, huh?
Inconceivable!

That critical chain did 49491 damage.

And here’s the end-of-turn attack.

My crystalline tears shall never cease to flow...
What?
Stay strong!

That hurt a lot.

This. Let’s do this. For some dumb reason, I send the nearly-dead-and-poisoned Kate to go revive Rush, even though her union will probably die from the poison damage before she gets the herb off. Everyone else will try to keep their HP up.

Lord… David…

Kate never got a chance to die of poison, as the Silencer killed her first.

That was pretty good...

So let’s do it again! Jager and Torgal will go revive the dead unions.

There’s no one I can’t defeat! No one!!

The Lob Omen is helpfully distracting all the other unions so they don’t go after Jager and Torgal.

The Bilquis-wheel on the back starts vibrating like crazy.

But the “Unique art about to go off” dodge bonus means it misses Emmy’s union entirely.

Uhh… is the wheel ever coming back?

There we go.

Oho!

Strong.

Hold on, I’ll help you!

And Glenys heals Emmy’s union back up, so that’s the end of the Hundred Flowers chain.

How dare you?!
Are you all right?

Interestingly, that massive AoE actually has some friendly fire in it as well.

Rush will use Talisman’s Gift, and the rest will just try to hold on, I guess. Kate and Jager will try to lower the enemy morale, since we’re at minimum and that’s not good at all.

If that enemy hadn’t decided to heal himself, he could have killed Torgal easily. But now Paris will fix him right up.

Hermeien moves the morale bar slightly to the left. Oh no, what a reversal that was.

So much for the Bluff.

I think Kate’s union is toast.

Wow, Pagus has been complaining about needing a weapon upgrade for a while. He just got it last episode, and he went from doing 0-2 damage to 887. That’s a huge leap in power, relatively speaking.

Emmy’s gotten the command to use Rejuvenating Water, which I really need to go off first to help all the unions in trouble.

Heh heh, check THIS out!

Will this well-timed upgrade save Kate’s union?

Didn’t think you had it in you…
You’ll have to face ME next!

Nope!

Darn.

Thanks!

So, instead of 6 healthy unions, I have three dead ones. Super. This is because that union is still in the low-speed formation I put them in so I could learn Rejuvenating water. I should fix it.

Rush will deadlock the boss, the others are on revive duty.

What?

That’s the Protection from Talisman’s Gift absorbing that shot. But it’s gone now.

Okay, most of the deadies are up now. Lob Omen is still almost dead, though.

Just one last union left.

:fuckoff:

You okay?
Bring it!

Talisman’s gift again.

If the boss is using this, it means that his HP is getting low.

Run Amok doesn’t count as a Combat Art, of course.

You mean, Emmy can get even MORE powerful?

Inconceivable!

Ugghhhh I’ve been doing this battle forever. It’s a lot harder to write commentary for it than it is to play it.

Get ready for the best move you will ever see!

It’s over. I’ll tell you this: I am not looking forward to screenshotting and commentating on certain other fights later on. I reach BR 53 from this battle.

learned Maledict III!
learned Mighty Crossbreak II!
learned Swift Resonance Edge IV!
learned Poison Gas IV!
learned Restorative Herb IV!
learned Mighty Double Strike IV!
learned Nimble Double Slash III!

- Video: Victory at Koenigsdorf?

*huff huff*

The remaining enemy forces run the gently caress away from our scary badass army.

Hermeien!

Music: Wheat from Chaff

Rush seems to have an uncanny knack for sensing the Conqueror.

Conqueror.

Lord Conqueror! Please! You must help me!

Lord David!

Forgive me! I didn’t mean to get carried away! I was just trying to help! Please, you must show mercy!

SQRUNCH

AAAAHH!
*gasp*

Amputation by stomp has to be painful.

Fool. Without regard for the Remnants or anything else, you continued your petty machinations.

No more.

The Conqueror deflects the Bilquis.

It ends up right back into the Duke of Ghor’s hand.

Uh-oh. He hates getting interrupted.

Duke Ghor!

Aaaaaa-

uhhh…

I love the camerawork here. It gives us the same feeling as if we were Rush without becoming a first-person camera.

Enough of this. If you have not awakened by now…

…then you are no longer necessary.

Rush…
STOP!

You…

The Conqueror walks away from Rush towards Irina…

…and… just keeps on walking past her?

Wait!

You can’t leave me! Conqueror!
Hmph.

AAAAHH-

POOF

So long Wilfred Hermeien. You died as you lived: a wiener.

And then he just walks away.

Leaving Irina to ponder what just happened.

New Arts Summary
learned Maledict III!
learned Mighty Crossbreak II!
learned Swift Resonance Edge IV!
learned Poison Gas IV!
learned Restorative Herb IV!
learned Mighty Double Strike IV!
learned Nimble Double Slash III!

Welcome to Koenigsdorf
The Battle of Koenigsdorf
Victory at Koenigsdorf?

Discussion: Why did the Conqueror just walk away?

Next Time: We are powerless in the face of the Conqueror

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 12, 2017

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Finally The Conqueror returns!

The Conqueror walks away because Irina has awakened, and he wants her help for something - and since he knows she cares about Rush he's not going to risk permanently losing her potentially willing help. Plus, since he's some kind of a Remnant-related being I wouldn't be surprised if she can exert some kind of influence on him.

Also, I hope that whatever boss fights with The Conqueror we'll end up having will all be unwinnable and mostly about surviving or making him bored with the party - barring some bullshit plot-related power downgrade he simply shouldn't be beatable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gotta say, Lob Omen continues to disappoint. I mean sure he tanked like 5 teams, but so can every other summon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nah the conqueror is going to be toppled by way of macguffin. Whether the guffin is a person or item matters none.
I feel it in my bones.

Also Wheat From Chaff.
Great song.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

nah the conqueror is going to be toppled by way of macguffin. Whether the guffin is a person or item matters none.
I feel it in my bones.
I'm pretty sure the Conquerer is only gonna get toppled by way of three or more fights in rapid succession with different forms.

I think he walked away because he's waiting for Rush to acknowledge his actual heritage and he knows his identity is wrapped up in protecting his sister, and so harming her would only let him sink further into that denial. It's been pretty heavily implied that Rush must be part Remnant if he was in that crib in the Sacred Land, after all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why did he just walk away?

I imagine the Conqueror is basically serving as some kind of... well, some kind of agent of the apocalypse, walking the earth in judgment. It didn't matter that we couldn't stand up to him, we knocked off his lieutenants and reached the fort, and that was sufficient demonstration it wasn't apocalypse time yet.

I'm guessing Rush is also supposed to be a justicar of the apocalypse, but somehow he's still content to live out the life of a protagonist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Conqueror just walked away because Irina started using Marion's Blessing and I bet He's a least half remnant so that's probably dangerous to him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Conqueror walked away because he, Rush and Irina are all in the same demi-god/remnant/nephilim group, only because the latter two were taken from the Sacred Realm as kids, the Conqueror's the only one who got the memo on what they're supposed to do in the world and while he doesn't need their help he values their abilities enough that he doesn't get rid of Rush even though he knows it's probably going to bite him in the long run (too bad he planned for that) because Irina has awakened to her potential. Kinda sorta.

Also because Hermeien was going to whine at him some more and even the Conqueror can't put up with that.

Hooray for beating up the powersuit Remnant! That explains where it got to and why the magick writings were around that place. Nifty.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Interesting theories. I guess we'll just have to see.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hooray for beating up the powersuit Remnant! That explains where it got to and why the magick writings were around that place. Nifty.

Well technically, the powersuit Remnant actually still is there even right before you go to Koenigsdorf. I was lying about it being gone, but only because it really SHOULD have been removed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't remember this at all. Is Ghor even present if you don't do the stuff to recruit him first?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't remember this at all. Is Ghor even present if you don't do the stuff to recruit him first?

No he's totally always there.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'm thoroughly mystified at what is going on. But the big C pasted Hermeien so I don't actually care why he's leaving

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

We are powerless in the face of the Conqueror

- Video: Aftermath of Koenigsdorf battle

We’ve returned, my Lord!

How is the Chairman?
It is still too close to call.
I see.

What is this?!
What’s going on, Dad?

Hey, that light’s moving!

Huh?

It blinks and disappears.

Uggh, we’ve lost it.
What even was it?
If it showed up on this baby, it was a Remnant, of course.
Irina?

Don’t! Irina!

Uhh… So dark… so deep… the forest… filled with power.

The Conquerer… he’s there…

That light is back!
Where’s it at?

Hmmm… Darken Forest, I’d say.

So this glowing light is the Conqueror? How come he’s on the Remnant tracker thing?

…It must be the talismans he carries.

Well, Dave?

Lord David. What shall we do?

We were unable to protect Duke Ghor.

We are powerless in the face of the Conqueror. That’s how it was at Nagapur, that’s how it was at Koenigsdorf.

Even if we meet him now, at Darken forest, what can we do?! How are we even supposed to stand against him?!

Mr. David… what you can do… is…

Irina!

Irina!

Soon…

How’s she doing?
She’ll be fine.

Used a bit too much of Marion’s Blessing, is all. She’s asleep.
Rush…

Coming back, right…? …Waiting for you…

She’s dreaming, of that time she waited for you in the forest.

She really cares for you, Rush.

The next morning…

Feeling better?

Sorry for worrying you.
Hey, don’t sweat it.

How is Irina?
She’s fine, just exhausted from everything.
I see.

She wasn’t to be mixed up in any of this. I gave my word. … *sigh*

Hey, this isn’t your fault, Dave. Irina did all this because she wanted to.
RUSH!
Mom?

Irina! Irina’s gone!

By the time you get this, I’ll be in Darken forest. There’s something I need to find out.

Please, don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. If things get too scary, I’ll come right back, okay?

How?! How can she do such a foolish thing?!

People can’t choose how they’re born. Coming into the world with Marion’s Blessing isn’t a mandate to use it.
Geez, she’s always taking things so seriously.

Dave, I’m gonna go save Irina. I know that I can’t really do much against the Conqueror… but I’ve left Irina behind before. I’m not gonna do it again!
I understand. However, I cannot allow you to go alone.

I’m going with you.
Thanks, Dave!

All right, now that that’s decided, let’s be off.

Irina has left the party.

:argh: Goddamnit, Irina. You’re supposed to be the smart one! Well, we have to go retrieve her now. If she had been leading a union, it would have been dissolved and all other members would have gone to the bench. But she wasn’t, so I just have to bring in one more person to fill out the party ranks.

Darken Forest is a wood that corresponds to reality. It can change its very form in response to the man brave - or foolish - enough to enter it. That is an ancient sovani saying. Upon entering the forest, you will be able to feel the movement of the trees. Surely we will be able to feel Miss Irina's strong will as well.

It's said the mysterious Darken Forest has two very different faces. One a beautiful, sun-dappled grove, the other a dank, smothering wildwood out of a nightmare... It's rumored that within the forest is an unbound Remnant, spawning many monsters. We should go after Miss Irina right away!

What... what!? Going all alone to that creepy forest, what was that girl thinking!? C'mon, Rush, what're you standing around here for? We gotta go find Irina and bring her back!

Irina's always been so responsible... There's got to be a good reason for her to have gone someplace like Darken Forest all by herself. That said, it's not like she had to go alone. No matter what the reason was, all of us would've been willing to help. No use saying this to you, hmm? Instead, let's hurry and get Irina back.

Irina seemed troubled by her powers, but I had no idea it would come to this... No, there's no time for that. Let's hurry to Darken Forest. I made a promise... I cannot allow Irina to be embroiled in our war any more than I already have.

Yes, let’s do that.

Next time.

Video: Aftermath of Koenigsdorf battle

Discussion: Why would Irina do such a thing?

Next Time: I gave her a more appropriate form

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Because Irina is just like her brother, and if she wants to know what's going on, she's going to go find out, even if it's dumb to do so.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

On the other hand, going by herself is incredibly smart in the whole 'huh, the Conqueror had two/three chances to mess me up and didn't take them.'

Plus apparently Darken Forest has the whole 'reality shifts for those who enter!' thing going for it which means she gets a pleasant walk through the woods while the party has to fight through dark foresty hell to get to her.

Really the only dumb thing is the usual dumb thing of telling people not to worry and telling them where she went. The former because that just causes people to worry, the latter because if she had just up and left she might have had time to get there and back before the rest of the group came for her.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On the one hand yeah, goddamnit Irina.
On the other hand, it's not like we have any other plan on how to defeat the Conqueror.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, she'll be just fine heading alone into the ancient forest to confront the villain. Just follow her to the ancient village made out of giant seashells and try not to think too hard about how the Conqueror might hijack your Remnants.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I would like to bring up how I like the game addressing the earlier plot point where Rush made David promise not to bring Irina into this, and his maturity in accepting her actions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess it is just me, but I still see their interactions as Rush being oblivious and David seething with poorly concealed loathing for Rush.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I guess it is just me, but I still see their interactions as Rush being oblivious and David seething with poorly concealed loathing for Rush.

It's just you.

Anyway, I should have an update for you tomorrow, and probably another one later this week. We're about to head into another stretch of sidequests. A short stretch... and I've already recorded half of it. However, one in particular is exceedingly difficult, and worse, I will have to do it before advancing the next step of the main plot or else it's locked out for good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's just you.

Anyway, I should have an update for you tomorrow, and probably another one later this week. We're about to head into another stretch of sidequests. A short stretch... and I've already recorded half of it. However, one in particular is exceedingly difficult, and worse, I will have to do it before advancing the next step of the main plot or else it's locked out for good.

Wait. Have we finally come to THAT side quest?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's more like slightly amused tolerated annoyance.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I gave her a more appropriate form

Allan comes in since Irina is out.

Mystic Arts is the way to go.
Thank you, Rush. You’ve helped me make a decision.

So it’d be pretty awesome to learn Potions, huh… But maybe I should stick with what I’ve got for now…
Try something new!
I know, right? More arts equals more awesome!

I’m disabling those.

This spot appears on the map now that we’ve finished Koenigsdorf. We won’t be visiting it for a while, though. We’re going to Darken Forest.

Music: Through the Tulgey Wood

It looks the same as it has looked on our previous visits.

But as we get a little way in…

The mist swallows everything up.

And when it clears, things have changed. Not just the atmosphere, but the layout as well.

Walls have appeared where there were none.

But what we want is this ramp which leads up and deeper into the forest.

Moss-covered ruins lurk above.

It’s a little labyrinth-like, but it’s not too big.

It’s narrow here, but it’s not too hard to dodge enemies.

The map teleporter is ahead, where we want to go is to the right.

One stop off for the morsel here, though.

We’re almost there. To the dead heart of the forest.

- Video: In the Heart of Darken

IRINA!!

I tire of your meddling.

I don’t think Irina’s friendly chat went over so well.

You bastard!

AAAH!

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY SISTER?!

I gave her a more appropriate form. Now you have no choice but to awaken.

He drops the mike just like that. He’s out.

Mission: Defeat the enemy!

Music: Beat the Odds

If the Conqueror was trying to piss Rush off, he succeeded. If he was trying to make a fight that would threaten Rush’s life, he failed. This fight is a snoozefest. Admittedly I had a good deal of trouble with it on my first playthrough, but that was when I sucked at the game. We’re up against three unions of Anima phantoms.

If you’re wondering how Irina could have been transformed like that, so was I, but just wait a couple updates.

Oww!
Stop slacking!

Anima doesn’t have a lot of health. It’s in critical by the end of the first turn, and that wasn’t even with all my units attacking that one. Meanwhile, my own damage is negligible.

One down.

Emmy took this one past critical and straight to dead.

The third one is in critical now.

That hurt a bit, but not enough.

Bewitch is the reason why I got my butt kicked the first time. It took control of some of my unions, and used them to beat the crap out of my remaining unions.

But this time, we’re done at the end of the second turn. Welp, so long Irina.

I’m pretty sure “skin of your sister after she got transformed into a monster” is one of the most uncomfortable components required for anything.

Irina! Irina!!
*groan*

Oops. I guess that didn’t work out, huh…?
You idiot… you know how scared I was?
You promised you’d come… and you did. You came…

And she passes out.

She’s fine. She’s only sleeping. … What was she trying to accomplish in coming here? Let’s return to Athlum for now. Your parents must be worried as well.
*nods*

Soon…

Rush?
Irina’s fine. She’s out like a light.

She has no idea what we went through.

That’s great news.
Lord David.
Yes, I realize we must come to a decision regarding future actions.
You musn’t! Sir!

Lord Qubine!

Oh right. Duke Qubine. I guess he’s feeling better now that Hermeien and his fucky Remnant are dead.

Well, well. You’re looking grave as always.
To what do I owe this honour?
I’ll make this quick. I need someone to pay a visit to the God Emperor. I’ve appointed you, David.

The God Emperor?! But, why?
The Conqueror’s powers were bestowed by the God Emperor himself. It is your task to go and ask his Highness everything he knows.

That is a great responsibility. A man of my meagre stature should not even be in the same room as the God Emperor.

Hmmm… so you’re saying the Acting Chairman of the Congress is not allowed an audience with his Highness?
What is this?! I’ve been chosen as Acting Chairman?

It was something that ever-withering Ghor and I decided. Of course, this arrangement is only until he recovers. But not to worry. This is purely based on your accomplishments. There are no strings attached.
Uh… I see.
Now that you’re up to date, I want you to leave immediately.

Oh, David? There’s just one more thing. Hereafter you do not need my authorization for anything, including the use of the Gae Bolg. I’ll leave matters in your hands.

Are you saying –

A little slow today, are we? I’m saying that Athlum is now an independent state, no longer under the reign of Celapaleis.

Music: The Young Marquis

Lord David!
Young master!

Way to go, Dave!

Lord Qubine… I can’t thank you enough.
David – uh, I mean, LORD David of Athlum, know this: making your own decisions is hardly an easy task.
I thank you for your concern. However, I will not have to do this alone.

I am surrounded by people I can count on.

People I trust.
And Rush too.

Hm.

All right then, Undelwalt awaits! Make preparations immediately!
Yes, my Lord! Yeah!

Video: In the Heart of Darken

Before we set off to Undelwalt though, there are a few sidequests to take care of. Not all that many, but they sure are going to be a pain. Oh, how they will be such a pain.

Next Time: Those who wish to create Remnants with their own hands are ignorant fools

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The council must be pretty scared of the Conqueror if they simply gave David that.
"Hey, here's a position with a decent stock of political capital attached and emancipation for Athlum, please don't join the Conqueror and completely screw us over."

Admittedly, can't say David didn't earn it, Rush may be the PC but it was Athlum that provided most logistical support, and they're the most succesful opposition to the big C to date.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also they're the only ones where their leader hasn't been compromised in some fashion and continues to be proactive.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I know, right? More arts equals more awesome!

I’m disabling those.
Poor Darien. Why don't you let him become more awesome? :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Fat Samurai posted:

Poor Darien. Why don't you let him become more awesome? :(

Because now he can spend a turn hitting something for huge damage instead of using a potion to add a slight amount of damage in a couple future turns. That's the big problem with Potions - trash mobs in this game typically have so little HP that they can be killed in one turn without potions, and bosses have so much HP that it'll take a lot of turns anyway.

Anyway, you people should really savour these next couple of updates, because after the next two it might be a while before the next ones. Ladies of Bloody Alice and The Fallen :shepicide:

EDIT: One down, one to go!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 3, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Uh Stabbey, right at the start of the combat I think you used an Irina portrait where you didn't mean to.

Also I had forgotten this little moment with Qubine giving Athlum independence.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

Uh Stabbey, right at the start of the combat I think you used an Irina portrait where you didn't mean to.

Nope, I didn't. You can actually hear Irina going OW! at that point in the video.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was... a surprisingly rapid resolution to that plotline. Only not much of a resolution at all. Did Rush get anything new after that fight?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Because now he can spend a turn hitting something for huge damage instead of using a potion to add a slight amount of damage in a couple future turns. That's the big problem with Potions - trash mobs in this game typically have so little HP that they can be killed in one turn without potions, and bosses have so much HP that it'll take a lot of turns anyway.
Counterpoint: More arts equals more awesome!

I just found it funny that after he being so enthusiastic after Rush encouragement you'd shut it down. I know you've been doing it with basically every other character, but this one was worded in a way that made me laugh.

So, do we ever find out what Irina was trying to do? Because this came out of nowhere, both in set-up and in resolution.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 3, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
It's probably intentional, but so far the game has given an impression that The Conqueror would be at least sympathetic towards Irina, who had probably counted on that and asked him to cease his conquering, but he wasn't interested. It's refreshing, really - he isn't interested in talking, he acts and if you're not in his way, then he doesn't care. Actually, I'd forgotten about that and was counting on his being nice to Irina, too - obviously forgetting his true nature. He still didn't kill her, though, and one would think that that would Rush's "awakening", whatever that is, come about surer, if kicking Irina's rear end was supposed to help achieve that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Those who wish to create Remnants with their own hands are ignorant fools

- Video: Irina and David after Darken

Mr. David.
You’re up! How do you feel?

I’m great! I’m totally fine! I hope I didn’t worry everyone too much.
We’re just glad you’re all right.

Mr. David, congratulations on Athlum’s independence.
Thank you. You know, you are one of the reasons this was even possible. … For that, I am truly grateful.

Really? Me?

I-I didn’t do anything! I-I just did what anyone else would’ve done… I just…

The awkwardness intensifies.

Uh, um… I should go get ready!

Ugh…

So is Rush thinking about giving the “…but stay away from my sister” talk to Dave?

Irina has joined the party.

Rush, didja hear!? We just got independence from Celapaleis! Incredible, ain't it? I'm so psyched up, I can't sit still! Guess even that Qubine kid can be a nice guy sometimes!

Independence for Athlum was the deepest wish of the former Marquis. For it to have come to pass in this way, while muchly due to David's efforts, is also due to your help.
Woah, really? That’s awesome!

Rush! It seems Athlum's already taken its first step towards independence. I think... even Mother can hear everyone's happy cries. If I listen closely, I think I can hear hers.

The imperial city of Undelwalt is an ancient and storied city. Once it was a bustling metropolis like Elysion, but ever since the Congress was formed, the God Emperor's influence has waned, and with it, the might of the city. To be honest, Undelwalt feels a bit run-down.

Party Update: Irina In, Allan Out. Let’s look around town for a bit.

But I’m sure he can handle it. He could even surpass the late Marquis in greatness… With Lord David at the helm, Athlum’s future is shining bright, no doubt about it!

I never imagined I would live to see the day Athlum was under her own control… Indeed, there is more to life than suffering.

Lord David is just amazing! I can’t believe he really got independence for Athlum! Pops, gimme your finest cut of meat! We’re feasting tonight!

An independent Athlum… I still can’t believe it. However, the tough part is yet to come… For better or worse, we’ll all have to gird ourselves and work together.

It seems that Duke Qubine has recognized Athlum’s independence. I wonder what machinations went on behind the scenes to make him agree?

Independence? Meanin’… …Ohh… meanin’ those turdholes in Celapaleis won’t be able to get away with lookin’ down their noses at us anymore! Yeahhh, eat it, bitches!

Pub Regular: Even folks like us who used to be enemies, he sees ‘em at their true worth… That is a real man there, that Ghor.

Athlum’s independence…? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I’m trying to rain on everybody’s parade, but… I dunno. I just can’t seem to get into it right now.

Bartender: Independence… Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? If only dear Papa had gotten a chance to hear it…

Bartender: I wanted to join them once… Bloody Alice. Of course, back then I was a bit of a rebel, going against the grain and all that.
Pleasant Young Man: I wouldn’t say you’re quite going with the grain now…

Sky-Gazing Woman: It warms me to hear it… Even though the Valeria Heart is gone, it still watches over us…

To think, Athlum’s become an independent state! You see the people walking around? Compared to before, it’s like night and day. Everyone’s so full of hope… Looks like they’ll be in the mood for buying, too, which makes me happy!

Loitering Yama: Hey, didja hear? Athlum’s finally got free from Celapaleis! ‘S been a long time since we had any good news. Kinda feels like karma’s finally payin’ us back!

Right, okay. … er, where were we going again? Dave should know.

The road to the imperial city is long and harsh. Past the highlands stretching east of Elysion, Berechevaltelle, and then over Mt. Vackel... There lies Undelwalt. However, this is my first duty as representative of the Congress Chairman, and I intend to do it properly. Rush, once you've finished your preparations, we will set out.
Yeah, I’m ready! Let’s go! It’s east, right?

Music: The Crumbling Fortress

Huh. I could’ve sworn…

Err… while we’re here, how about we see how the Duke of Ghor is doing?

drat the Conqueror! Do you know how many times I've stopped myself from taking the boys with me into his base and slaughtering them all? Argh! But I need to stay calm, especially while the lord is out of commission. Right now, he's resting and needs to concentrate on getting better. In the meantime, I can't allow any suspicious persons into this town!

I’m guessing that didn’t go so well.
The duel was over in the blink of an eye. But even as I was getting pummeled, I was awed to be in the presence of one so strong. Our lord is the most ferocious warriors in all the lands. He won't die easily. He won't...!

So let’s see how he’s doing.

I will make the Conqueror regret having laid a hand on Duke Ghor!

You have walked your path; I have walked mine. As for the Third Committee members, according to my emissaries, they have acquired a relic by the name of Leithion's Sword. I've not heard of such a sword. I know not what they're up to but I must do everything I can to find out.
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. … Er, whatever it is.

There’s nothing more we can apparently do here, so let’s head back to the Den of Heroes tavern.

Hey, no shenanigans in my pub, you hear? Our lord is recuperating at the moment. We pray for a quick recovery. I don’t want to answer to some kid from Celapaleis!

Our lord is resting in his castle. I hear he’s not doing very well.
He seems okay.
I’m filled with rage! I want to take the Conqueror’s life with my own blade!
Uh, right. Good luck with that.
I know I could take him on if only I were 50 years younger.

Sir! What do you think of that?
They’re hiding something. I know it. What could it be?

We’ll get to that quest pretty soon. It’s particularly nasty one. But for now, there’s a guy with a red bubble here!

A message? What is it?
It’s a communication from one person to another which is usually passed through an intermediate person or medium because the two parties are not in immediate contact. But that’s not important right now.

The Duke would like to speak with you regarding Leithion’s Sword.

If we hadn’t talked to the Duke all three times during the Six Base battles, this quest would not have come up. This bit me the first time, even though I was using the no-spoilers walkthrough, I didn’t spot that until it was too late, so I had to do all the bases again.

And that is?
They have taken the Remnant research they obtained and used it to create a Remnant themselves- one that is a weapon. At the Academy, the project was referred to by the code name "Leithion." The weapon created was a blade- Leithion's Sword. This weapon can trigger a Collapse at will as a way of gaining tremendous power.
How reckless!
The Third Committee plans to use this sword to throw the world into further chaos, and take advantage of the disorder to gain more power. I believe in no uncertain terms that this sword should not exist. I am heading to the Numor Mines at once to see to its destruction. Mmm, so, as I recall, you were involved in this matter from the beginning. Wouldn't you like to see the end? However, if you are to come, you will have to make certain to pull your own weight. Well?
I'm ready!
Hmph, then you shall come with me. Remember, I gave you a fair warning of the dangers that may befall us.

Accepted quest: The Gates of Deceit and Sword of the Dead

Music: Creeping Shadows

However, we gave learned that it is acquiring power in the depths of the mine. The path to the deepest mineshaft is through that door. Keep your eyes open and your sword close.

A guest union has joined the party.

So Duke Ghor has joined us as a guest union, bringing along two more Yama. Ghor knows a lot of Power Grip – Axe arts and carries the Bilquis as his weapon. So let’s just head down the elevator.

I don’t think we’ve been in this area before, or at least I didn’t make a map of it.

The Third Committee made Leithion’s Sword, a weapon that can trigger Collapses, or something. I gotta help Duke Ghor find that sword!

- Quest Video: Gates of Deceit and Sword of the Dead

Hmph. I take it that is Leithion's Sword. We have no reason to search any further.

Well, that was easy. Let’s go get it.

Err… what?

We got teleported back to the elevator room. Well, going straight ahead didn’t work, so let’s head left.

Uh…

The Collapse must have caused this area to be unstable. We have no choice but to search for another path to the sword.

Thanks to Leithion's Sword doing its Collapse thing, there're funky rifts in space everywhere. It's gonna be hell trying to track it down...

It’s kinda like a teleporter maze, but it’s not really that big a pain.

Generally speaking, the way we want to progress is towards the demon monsters.

Whoosh.

Not again…

Easy to follow.

We’re almost here. Ignore the big hallway, what we want is to the right.

Crank this cart across the gap…

And here we are.

You've seen a tad too much. There is no way we're letting you out of here alive. What perfect time! I can test the powers of its Collapse!

Naturally, the obligatory boss battle.

Music: Beat the Odds

Mission: Defeat the enemy!

- Video: “Gates of Deceit…” Battle

Not a terribly threating battle. It’s fine, because I could use a breather before some of the unpleasant ones happening soon. I’ll do some lowering of their morale though to lead off.

Everywhere we go, slime like you are creepin’ around!
I wonder if we can win?

Spoiler alert, Glenys: Yes.

Butterfly is pinned.

I’ll stop you, no matter the cost!

Pretty nice shot to take them from almost 50% to 0%.

The Third committee guy’s just about had it as well.

Music: Turn the Tide

Okay we’re just about done here.

Try again tomorrow.

And that does it for this sidequest. I am now BR 54. I don’t remember if I was before this.

learned Mixed Message II!
learned Life Powder!

This weapon, Leithion's Sword, is much too dangerous to be wielded by anyone. Its very existence is a danger. It must be destroyed immediately.

CRACK

Let us return.

The guest union has left the party.

Music: The Crumbling Fortress

However, my emissaries inform me of a slightly unusual activity in the area. I will stay and rid this land of it all. I am indebted to you. I will offer my assistance if ever it is necessary. Until we meet again...

Obtained Trap Formula! Rush can now lay Traps!
Completed quest: The Gates of Deceit and Sword of the Dead

Duke Ghor destroyed the sword. Ha! And he even said he's gonna help me out if I ever need it. Aces!

Okay!
Great! Then let’s get going!

Hey! You know what would be super-special awesome? Circular Albic Hide! Let’s find some!
Yeah, let’s go.
Awesome-possum! So let’s saddle up!

Before we go anywhere, though, a new guild has opened up in Ghor’s Warrior Town district.

This has a different name, but gives the same Guild Tasks as the Ring of the Labyrinth.

Th-thank the God Emperor you’re alright. And for you to come all this way…

Could it be…? Uh, nothing. It’s not important.

Duke of Ghor

Chairman of the Congress. A grizzled yama well known as a warrior. Bound to the remnant Bilqis.
(Voiced by Anthony Lander.)

Class: Legendary Warrior
Initial BR: BR 64
HP: (1063)
Str / Int: (70 / 39)
Union Name: Duke of Ghor’s Party

Current Arts
  • Power Grip: (Smash III), (Crossbreak III), (Switchback II), (Dragon's Flight), (Cyclone II), (Rift Cleaver)
Future Arts
  • Psionics @ BR 73
  • Potions @ BR 85

Comments
The Duke is tricky to recruit, since you have to talk to him after winning 1, 3, and 5 battles at the Six Bases otherwise you’ll miss out on a sidequest, screwing up your run, and can never recruit him. He starts out with a Remnant, which means he has a weapon art. Still though, there are only so many leader slots possible, and there’s a lot of competition. The weapon art is good, but he’s also good enough at fighting that you can have him in your party without making him the leader.

Tags: Combat, Unique Arts, Psionics

The Duke of Ghor knows all the Power Grip-Axe Arts, and he can also learn Psionics eventually.

I’m temporarily overstaffed, so Ghor is in, and Torgal is out for now. I’ll probably do more switching around though. Expect a poll after the next update about who should end up on the bench. Next stop, Elysion! And a bunch of other places!

New Arts Summary
learned Mixed Message II!
learned Life Powder!

Video: Irina and David after Darken
Quest: Gates of Deceit and Sword of the Dead
“Gates of Deceit…” Battle

Next Time: Why do you think Remnants exist?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 13, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The duke is pretty rad, but he's definitely worth going out of your way for.

Also Remnants exist to aid...

Okay so what do you say in a case like this, where we have a bunch of species. Like, Organics is wrong, but it's not just humans. gently caress it. People, Remnants exist to aid people.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Well, they're called Remnants, so I'd really have to go with "mad science of a past civilization" even if that might be a bit cliche

Pretty weird comment by Ghor, on that note. It's wrong on principle to want to create Remnants...? Why does wanting to make a Remnant make you a fool? It's not like they're all rear end in a top hat types like the sword.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ah SaGa games. You and your hidden dick requirements :allears:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

booksnake posted:

Well, they're called Remnants, so I'd really have to go with "mad science of a past civilization" even if that might be a bit cliche

Pretty weird comment by Ghor, on that note. It's wrong on principle to want to create Remnants...? Why does wanting to make a Remnant make you a fool? It's not like they're all rear end in a top hat types like the sword.

Maybe it's like the old adage about seeking power because you think you deserve it - Remnants offer a solid power boost and there's no check procedure, making of this sword is like creating yourself a nuke in the game's world. Or maybe he's an elitist and doesn't believe that anyone who didn't inherit a Remnant is up to the task.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Remnants exist because someone/thing either made them and/or became them. They're powerful tools that shorten the lifespans of those who bind them (power comes at a cost) yet also demand that they be bound via the collapse stipulation (except Elysion apparently.)

It wouldn't surprise me if they're not just tools but entities with needs (Remnant needs life/soul food badly! Monster time!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Interesting to see responses to that, because it's actually the chapter title for next episode, and I wasn't expecting people to see it as a discussion question - although I do like that it is getting discussed, so keep that up. The next update is pretty interesting for discussions on the Remnants.

Progress is being made on the update. I'm also engaging in some special grinding specifically aimed at getting Kate to learn Cachexia. I've gotten her to Bewitch, so she's halfway there, and I haven't even gained a single BR yet, too. So hopefully that will work out. I won't know for a while, though.

EDIT: Okay she's learned Cachexia now. It only took three runs with Mystic Seal-Kate on Bai Ze to get her from just learning Bewitch to learning Cachexia. That doesn't mean that I'm guaranteed to WIN, but it should be a big help.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 15, 2015

• Locked thread