Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Poque posted:

:toxx:

For each goon who finishes an official fiesta run before I do, I will donate $10, up to $750. To my disadvantage, this is likely to be among my busiest work weeks of the year. Limit two runs per goon.

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

I'm pretty sure my party would have hearing loss by now from all the cannon firing. Gonna try popular now, cuz I didn't last year but all the jobs it's apparently biased to are things I rarely or never get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
To continue my own story: thanks Derra, Drain Sword worked just fine on the Crystals once I got Magic Barrier to trigger. Let's hope it also gets me through Exdeath!

I went ahead and did my #void ahead of time, and... it's going to eat my Monk! Oh no! Not Monk! I wonder if it's totally random or if it's weighted toward "better" jobs--I was sure it was going to eat Mystic Knight. I'll just consider this a cosmic balancing for the three hours I spend in the Barrier Tower getting two rings.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

OzFactor posted:

Garula is your first lesson in counter scripts. You should notice that he will continue to do either a regular attack or Rush whenever it's his turn, but when you hit him, he'll counterattack and hit you twice--and that won't break his normal routine. So if you don't think about timing, he could pretty much be hitting you three times in a row. The general lesson: only use Lenna to hit him (she'll do a tiny bit more damage with black magic than anyone else) and use the other three to throw potions. Don't be afraid to throw a whole lot of potions, they're very cheap. Buy a ton. Also, make sure all your characters are in the back row--that will halve physical damage given and taken, but since you have Black Mages you shouldn't be doing anything but casting spells anyway.

edit: yes or break rods (this is the answer for everything in W1)

:monocle:
I thought that just lowered the likelihood of a character getting hit! Thanks everyone.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phew. 3rd Fiesta in as many days.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

this is my first time through ff5 at all and i kind of wish i wasn't doing the fiesta??? i keep getting all these cool-seeming jobs but i'm stuck with knight, black mage, and thief so far, which are solid but super boring

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I saw that, how long does that usually take? It's been almost a day now.

RK lives in Japan and thus may take a while to process a run due to time zone differences. You should get a confirmation within 24 hours though.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
With thief/red/zerk/ranger my plan for world 2 is hayate bows and ~150 rods

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I won.

BLU/BZK/void (was Ranger)/GLD

The entire endgame consisted just of spamming Finisher! until things died. Gladiator is kind of overpowered...

Didn't get Omega or Shinryu though.

Edit: To note, I didn't get a berserker from Berserker Risk, I just got it naturally from it being a water crystal job.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 21, 2018

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

enjoy your donations

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
Here's another #Forbidden Exodia:

I might go for Omega, don't know yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

OzFactor posted:

You should notice that he will continue to do either a regular attack or Rush whenever it's his turn

code:
AI SCRIPT:
Condition:Status:Self:Toad{
     Change Target:Self
     Toad
     }
Fight
Condition:HP < 800 & HP Damage{
     No Interrupt{
          Fight
          {Specialty,Fight,Nothing}
          }
     }
Garula will only use regular attacks until the end of linear time on his turn, unless he's a frog, in which case he'll try to un-frog himself with Toad.

Garula will try to un-frog himself so hard that he'll try in vain if he's silenced or has no MP.

The counterattack script kicks in when he's missing 400 of his 1,200 HP, and is two consecutive actions. It always starts with a normal attack, and then a 1/3 chance of another normal attack, a 1/3 chance of Rush, and 1/3 chance of nothing at all.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
This is why the first boss fight bothers me; it teaches you that bosses undergo a visible state change when going into a counterattack mode or something like it, but then the other bosses like Garula don't actually provide that visual warning.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mountaineer posted:

This is why the first boss fight bothers me; it teaches you that bosses undergo a visible state change when going into a counterattack mode or something like it, but then the other bosses like Garula don't actually provide that visual warning.

Wing Raptor was basically the granddaddy of FF6's Whelk and FF7's Guard Scorpion, and the son of FF4's Mist Dragon. It's a flashing signpost of "LOOK YOU CAN USE THE ATB SYSTEM TO WAIT OUT DANGEROUS BOSS MODES" but then that particular gimmick is almost never used again in any of the games. I think Twintania is the closest you get.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

jaclynhyde posted:

Know what, I'll get onto the toxx train.

I just played FFV outside the Fiesta for the first time, and getting to and beating Leviathan was still a giant pain in the rear end. So in the interest of making everyone suffer with me, I'll donate $5 for everyone who defeats Leviathan, up to $50.

One :toxx: down, hopefully more to follow!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Wing Raptor was basically the granddaddy of FF6's Whelk and FF7's Guard Scorpion, and the son of FF4's Mist Dragon. It's a flashing signpost of "LOOK YOU CAN USE THE ATB SYSTEM TO WAIT OUT DANGEROUS BOSS MODES" but then that particular gimmick is almost never used again in any of the games. I think Twintania is the closest you get.

FFXI and XIV do it a bunch but that doesnt really count at all

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
The best part about Wing Raptor is that you can give Galuf the broadsword from the Wind Shrine, and then just hold A to win.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, having trouble with Archaeoavis this year. I can get him out of his first form, but start to run out of steam by the second form. My party is knight, dancer, mystic knight, and geomancer. Geo helps out on the first form since he just doing nothing but wind slash that hurts him, but the limited options for healing becomes a problem.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Obliterated

quote:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

this is my first time through ff5 at all and i kind of wish i wasn't doing the fiesta??? i keep getting all these cool-seeming jobs but i'm stuck with knight, black mage, and thief so far, which are solid but super boring

If you're not having fun, play it some different way. There's no obligation to do a fiesta run.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

Hiilai posted:

I might go for Omega, don't know yet.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

While I'm sure I could level up a bunch, set up Mighty Guard, then spam White Wind and 1000 Needles, I don't think I'll be triple crowning this run.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Before this run I didnt know you could break rods.

Now Im sitting on a shattered pile of them as I toss them out like beads at Mardigras

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

For each goon who finishes an official fiesta run before I do, I will donate $10, up to $750. To my disadvantage, this is likely to be among my busiest work weeks of the year. Limit two runs per goon.

I count 22 for this so far. Let me know if I've left you out:

Admiral Joeslop (2), derra (2), Orange Fluffy Sheep, berenzen, Blue Link, Saigyouji, FreeKillB, Shyfted One (2), Serene Dragon, CapitalistPig, dis astraganant, Zerilan, Novasol, Samuel Clemens, AlphaKretin, Edwhirl, Sakako, Hiilai, StrangeAeon.

I am saved at Necrophobe, appropriately leveled, with free time in about 9 hours. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

vvvvvv 23! vvvvvv

Poque fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 21, 2018

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Poque posted:

I count 22 for this so far. Let me know if I've left you out:

Admiral Joeslop (2), derra (2), Orange Fluffy Sheep, berenzen, Blue Link, Saigyouji, FreeKillB, Shyfted One (2), Serene Dragon, CapitalistPig, dis astraganant, Zerilan, Novasol, Samuel Clemens, AlphaKretin, Edwhirl, Sakako, Hiilai, StrangeAeon.

I am saved at Necrophobe, appropriately leveled, with free time in about 9 hours. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Poque posted:

Monk / Summoner /Beastmaster / Samurai was a really easy first run of the year. I barely used any beastmaster abilities though, 95% of the time the answer to the problem was more summons.

Shinryu was easy, with berserk from the wonder wand, blind from a caught gaiajelly, and golem to block attacks I only had a single death during the fight.

Omega was trivial with calm locking, I just got the ATB and skills lined up properly then held A and fast forward, slowing down every so often to readjust the timings.

Neo Exdeath though, I forgot how much damage almagest did and only survived from a lucky ageis shield block, then got even luckier with grand cross landing a single blind.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Since last year you can start a new run immediately. On your player screen for the run your icon will have a question mark over the icon until it's verified, but you can get right back in there.

3 runs and the closest thing to a caster I've gotten is Geo or Red, ugh. My life for Time or Black!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The difficult part wasn't the actual fights. It was not accidentally collecting too much experience while moving through areas.

Incidentally, Bard & Chemist is a great combo because you can turn every enemy into a dragon and then hit for max damage with Apollo's Harp.

I figured you'd get one of these done. Welcome to the low level life : ) Now do it without Bard / Chemist : p

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rirse posted:

Ugh, having trouble with Archaeoavis this year. I can get him out of his first form, but start to run out of steam by the second form. My party is knight, dancer, mystic knight, and geomancer. Geo helps out on the first form since he just doing nothing but wind slash that hurts him, but the limited options for healing becomes a problem.

I have found over the years that Archaeoavis is heavily luck-dependent--sometimes he will do nothing but the all-party attacks, and sometimes he will never use them. I've found the best bet is to just try to go as fast as possible, and you've got a pretty offensive team there. You just need to get through the first couple of forms before you can start doing meaningful physical damage. Geo will help with the first phase, yeah, and then I'd go with Thundara Sword on the MK (using Two-Handed) and the Dancer and hope for some good Sword Dance luck. By the time you get to the fourth phase and he's absorbing lightning damage, your Knight (also Two-Handed) should be crushing him, and you can switch off the elemental damage on the other two. Use the Geo to throw all the high potions you have--that party won't need them until you can buy them (Gilgamesh is the only slight worry but he can be Olded with the Ancient Sword so Jump is his only damage, which means you can race him to the end).

Basically just keep trying. Archaeoavis does have single-target attacks, but those low-tier shields aren't enough to make a big difference, definitely not nearly as big of a difference as using Two Handed and getting him down faster.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
None of the available MK swords help you on Archaeoaevis (obligatory MK is overrated comment). Put Gaia on 3 people and 2H on your Knight. The non knight people should have daggers or some other weaak weapon equipped in case of confusion. Just spam the hell out of Gaia until he fades with your knight tossing elixirs or hi pots as necessary (what level are you, approximately?). For the last form, 2H Ancient Sword should get through his 2400 HP relatively quick as his defense is garbage. Dancer can help here too swith the Main Gauche.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OzFactor posted:

I have found over the years that Archaeoavis is heavily luck-dependent--sometimes he will do nothing but the all-party attacks, and sometimes he will never use them. I've found the best bet is to just try to go as fast as possible, and you've got a pretty offensive team there. You just need to get through the first couple of forms before you can start doing meaningful physical damage. Geo will help with the first phase, yeah, and then I'd go with Thundara Sword on the MK (using Two-Handed) and the Dancer and hope for some good Sword Dance luck. By the time you get to the fourth phase and he's absorbing lightning damage, your Knight (also Two-Handed) should be crushing him, and you can switch off the elemental damage on the other two. Use the Geo to throw all the high potions you have--that party won't need them until you can buy them (Gilgamesh is the only slight worry but he can be Olded with the Ancient Sword so Jump is his only damage, which means you can race him to the end).

Basically just keep trying. Archaeoavis does have single-target attacks, but those low-tier shields aren't enough to make a big difference, definitely not nearly as big of a difference as using Two Handed and getting him down faster.

Finally him. I gave the mystic knight (with two handed) poison as it did more damage while giving the two knights two handed. Geomancer was using aero until form 2 when he went on healing. Yeah I got lucky and he didn't do the lightning/blaze spam finally and I was able to kill it at last.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wait, the run started earlier this week?

Crap. Crap. Crap.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Edward_Tohr posted:

While I'm sure I could level up a bunch, set up Mighty Guard, then spam White Wind and 1000 Needles, I don't think I'll be triple crowning this run.

What about the lightning scrolls? Not sure how much they do, but even !Blue should make them more potent than 1000 Needles.

Maybe not potent enough to be worth it, though.

Edit: I think the Thunder Rod improves the damage, too. Might be remembering wrong.

Raiad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 21, 2018

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rirse posted:

Finally him. I gave the mystic knight (with two handed) poison as it did more damage while giving the two knights two handed. Geomancer was using aero until form 2 when he went on healing. Yeah I got lucky and he didn't do the lightning/blaze spam finally and I was able to kill it at last.

Just to be clear I have been reading the algorithm FAQ wrong and derra's right: elemental magic swords will only add damage if the target is weak to that element. They don't add anything if the target isn't weak to it.

code:
If the Target has Elemental Weakness of the attacking element:

If using Fire3, Ice3, Bolt3, Bio or Holy, if the Target is Heavy, 
Attack = Attack * 4 and Defense = 0.
If the Target is not Heavy, 
Inflict Dead status on Target.  Ignore Dead status immunity.

If using Fire2, Ice2 or Bolt2, 
Attack = Attack * 3 and Defense = 0

If using Fire, Ice, Bolt or Venom, 
Attack = Attack * 2 and Defense = 0

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Raiad posted:

What about the lightning scrolls? Not sure how much they do, but even !Blue should make them more potent than 1000 Needles.

Edit: I think the Thunder Rod improves the damage, too. Might be remembering wrong.

Remember that Omega has innate shell as well.

You could level up into the 80s and MH Dancing Dagger / OH Chicken knife and hope for Sword Dances (don't do this)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Raiad posted:

You need a magic multiplier of at least 5 for lightning scrolls to deal more than 1,000, so as long as your tosser is level... 6.

At level 35 with the Circlet, Black Robe, and Aegis Shield, Bartz hits an M of 11. With a Thunder Rod or Magus Rod boosting lightning, that's nearly 2000 damage per scroll.

E: I forgot the shell so you tie 1000 needles at that point. Lighting Scrolls cost 0 MP and scale upwards with more levels, which always helps.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So uh, for my Natural run have I committed any big sin by giving Galuf my Fire Crystal Job instead of Faris?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Of course you did. You selected Natural.

(Worst case scenario you can just swap them unless you're using a Freelancer or Mime.)

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Another Forbidden Exodia chiming in:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through I'm only on world 2, how am I going to beat Omniscient with Knight, Geo, Mystic Knight, and Dancer? All of their abilities are auto resets for him..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rirse posted:

Even through I'm only on world 2, how am I going to beat Omniscient with Knight, Geo, Mystic Knight, and Dancer? All of their abilities are auto resets for him..

Reflect Rings and several hours