Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

worm girl posted:

Brandon - Average strength and dexterity, poor intelligence and perception. Extremely frail.

More physical than mental, in need of durability? Sounds like it's time for Brandon the Bull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vagabong posted:

Is it dangerous for frail characters to mutate? Because if not it might be good to try and make some of the less combat oriented characters more tanky.

Mutations have some negative side effects now but IIRC it's very unlikely to actually die from it, though extremely low hp would make it possible

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't let Gray, Echidna and Natashia be the only strong ones, mutate the rest I've no preference for any type.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I don't know why, but Reena should go mouse. It just seems like that's the right path for her.

Also, I didn't see if it had been stated before, but the trash bag changes somewhat recently got rolled into experimental! :toot:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

Mutations have some negative side effects now but IIRC it's very unlikely to actually die from it, though extremely low hp would make it possible

Vagabong posted:

Is it dangerous for frail characters to mutate? Because if not it might be good to try and make some of the less combat oriented characters more tanky.

Thank you for posting this, I forgot Reena only has 14 head HP (18 everywhere else) and I might have accidentally overdosed her if you hadn't mentioned it. If you give someone a lot of mutagen at once, or certain types of mutagen, they can occasionally take damage from it while they transform.

If she takes it slow she'll be fine, other than turning into a Brundlefly or whatever, but I certainly wouldn't have remembered.

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't know why, but Reena should go mouse. It just seems like that's the right path for her.

Also, I didn't see if it had been stated before, but the trash bag changes somewhat recently got rolled into experimental! :toot:

worm girl fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 26, 2022

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Really enjoying this thread, the multiple characters interacting really make it a lot of fun.

I even started playing myself and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. I ate a bunch of the wrong seeds by accident and I've been hallucinating for almost a week, but it seems like the worst is over from that at least. I'm assuming I only survived the 3 days I was huddled in a dark room unable to sleep because my random character rolled poison resistance.

I did have one question from your last update that I wasn't able to find anywhere online. How do you get this screen to come up?

quote:

When I deconstruct things it just does it without confirming or telling me what it's going to give first, and I wasn't able to find an option for it.

On mutations:
I think Gray shouldn't mutate. I could see him doing Medical I guess, but the cyborg thing is working out, and I don't want to mess with his head.
Natashia should hold off, for now. Maybe see what it does to the others first.
Echidna should definitely Chimera it up.
On the fence whether Ernest would go for it, but I'm fine with Elf for him.
I like the idea of Brandon the Bull.
Narratively, I could see Yusuke wanting to try to mutate back to a human, but thats kinda boring gameplay wise, so I'm good with Lupine/Cat/anything furry.
I want to see what Slime does, so uh, Reena for Slime-girl I guess?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Reena for Slime

Maybe Medical for Natashia, she's already a bit mentally unhinged, I'm sure she can't get worse.

Earnest is Elf

Also I don't feel like I've seen the insect mutation line before. Is it semi-recently added or am I just forgetful?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'll say...

Reena - Mouse
Yusuke - Bear
Natasha - Vampire
Luo - Cephalopod
Gray - Medical

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Reena for Bear, she is weak, lets make her as strong as possible

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 26, 2022

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AtomikKrab posted:

Reena for Bear, she is weak, lets make her as strong as possible

Second this. We begin, like many good things, with a bear.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Reena IS the closest thing our merry band has to a mama bear.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think I agree with medical for Gray, bull for Brandon and bear for Reena.

Rat for Yusuke, seems more interesting than cat or dog.

Nothing for Natashia, she's already pretty unstable and I don't think it's a good idea.

Lizard for Luo because that's the one I want to see and he's the only one left. Plus, alliteration.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I'm inclined to hold off for now.
All for trying to be the next ultimate Cybermutant, but I'd like to see if we can't find the missing options before we get too mutation-happy.
Well, except for Echidna. :kheldragar:

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012
Voting for no mutagen for Gray or Natasha - the bionics stuff is working out pretty well, and while some mutations aren't surface-visible, we don't want to explain them to Rubik on the operating table, yeah?
For Reena, anything that has some toughness in it.[b] A stiff breeze could take her down right now.
[b]Yusuke goes full wolf.

No opinion on the rest of the gang.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Insect mutations have been around forever. Don't know if the specific mutagen has been around as long, never really looked for them.

Lets stick to one big mutation line. Too many big friends might add too many trips to any relocation.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Nothing for Grey or Natasha - Grey's found his groove with bionics, and Natasha does not need any further mental fuckery.
Plant for Reena, because they're 'extremely durable' and she needs that.
Slime or Snail for Luo because both sound super weird, and I wanna see someone get super weird mutations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Medical for Natashia because we need an emotionally devastating final boss fight.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nothing for grey and natashia - grey wants to stay buds with the exodii, and natashia is most likely to start killing for fun so it would be good to not make her too durable :v:

also a nebulous vote for fixing people's health problems with mutations when viable, i can't figure out what would be best for that, ok thanks

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of zombie atrophy system for the winter. Something to keep everything from being swarming in gasoline zombies and juggernauts. Like, every winter, all zombies slowly devolve one-to-two steps, but then can re-evolve come springtime. Maybe they keep a trait from their evolved form to add a little more monster variety over time? Gives you a reason to go out in winter despite the difficult conditions it can offer. As is, it seems like the endgame here is all juggernauts, which is a shame given the cool variety the game's otherwise got. Really, something to *do* in Winter in a longer game.

I have no opinions about giving away the purity of the human flesh barring my personal belief that there should be a Videodrome mutation set.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Bogart posted:

I wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of zombie atrophy system for the winter. Something to keep everything from being swarming in gasoline zombies and juggernauts. Like, every winter, all zombies slowly devolve one-to-two steps, but then can re-evolve come springtime. Maybe they keep a trait from their evolved form to add a little more monster variety over time? Gives you a reason to go out in winter despite the difficult conditions it can offer. As is, it seems like the endgame here is all juggernauts, which is a shame given the cool variety the game's otherwise got. Really, something to *do* in Winter in a longer game.

I have no opinions about giving away the purity of the human flesh barring my personal belief that there should be a Videodrome mutation set.

There are long-term maybe-plans for zombies to hibernate during the winter if there's nothing around to fight. The idea last I heard was that as it gets colder, they'll shut down and go to "sleep" and get buried in snow. There will be a few screamers patrolling the streets to make a lot of noise if an enemy is spotted, which would slowly wake them all up. This would make wintertime seem very quiet, but one wrong move and you might find yourself surrounded. That wouldn't solve the gasoline/jugg spam, but it would be super cool, I hope they do it.

That requires lots of pieces. We have patrols now, but we'd need simulation of activity outside the reality bubble, proper snowfall, etc.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 27, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RabidWeasel posted:

Gray is currently one of the saner members of the crew, let's not gently caress it up please.

I agree with you, but I would like to note that it's kind of illustrative of how bad things have gotten that we can point at the pyromaniac who seriously debated murdering their pet non-combatant computer-toucher for allowing someone else to get murdered and say "look we can't risk losing this high degree of sanity"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I agree with you, but I would like to note that it's kind of illustrative of how bad things have gotten that we can point at the pyromaniac who seriously debated murdering their pet non-combatant computer-toucher for allowing someone else to get murdered and say "look we can't risk losing this high degree of sanity"

Horses for Courses

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012
I have just binged this LP over a course of a week. Thank you for introducing me to the world of factions and other new stuff.

Now for mutations, I think Gray should hold off on mutations till we have something better and we don't have to worry about alienating the exodii.

While I loved rat for Natasha for the bandwagon it accrued. I would like to consider either medical or troglodyte and have her be our night ops. not to mention she's a vamp already

I'm happy to pick anything for the other frail members, as long as it doesn't limit their diet. We already have someone after our poor delicious innocent cow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Only the mad have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper truly judge what is sane.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

A loving zombie got into the chicken coop, and to our shock, the robot we put in there as a joke actually did its job. The chickens all cowered in the corner while the bot stood out front, took the hits, and made some noise to let us know there was a problem.

Robots use the monster code, and most monsters don't regenerate, so it'll stay at this level of health until we deactivate it, repair the object it turns into, and then reactivate it.

Goddamn stupid zombies breaking our fence.

Echidna's back. She caught a cold somehow and the sight of her sniffling is too pathetic for us to yell at her about burning through 1200 rounds of 5.56.

Almost.

We've been taking turns pulling apart the flatbed we stole from that hardware store. There's a lot of useful metal and glass on here that winds up getting used in our construction projects.

Speaking of, the place is really coming along. The central dining hall is finally complete, and soon everyone will have their own room. No more sleeping in the van for us!

Except due to portal storms we basically can't sleep here ever. The NPCs can hide well enough but it's too much of a hassle to corral them all into their bedrooms and get the animals inside every time one happens. Our usual MO is to drive outside the reality bubble and pass out in the van, that probably won't change.

Echidna's been glued to those lab journals we found, it's sort of worrying. Eventually she gives us some instructions to chase down some local birds and collect marrow, liver cells, and tissue from their brain stems. It's messy work and the birds we process this way aren't usable for much else.

We look for a 22LR rifle, but can't find anything because we've been moving our stuff from the mansion and it's still in disarray, so in the end we settle on using the 9mm attachment on our HWP.

You get most samples by dissecting the appropriate target, as mentioned. Success is based on the monster's drop rate (larger/stronger monsters tend to drop more often) and your medical skill and intelligence. The condition of the carcass also matters, meaning there's a use for game arrows and low-caliber guns here.

We bring the stuff back to her and she has Earnest get feathers and eggs from the coop.

Eventually we realize she's mixing up the Elf-A mutagen for Earnest. It's made from plant (we had some usable material lying around from our triffid adventures), slime (we snagged some at TCL) and bird mutagen, which doesn't make a ton of sense. Wouldn't that make a slimy plant bird?

"Synthesis in vitro. Slime catalyzes a blend of plant and avian traits."

The two of them set up some lab equipment in the dining room. It's a lot less fancy than we'd envisioned - some funny-looking glassware, a hotplate, a boxy electronic thing for measuring melting points, litmus paper, scales...it's like a meth lab in there, but not like a Heisenberg meth lab.

The result is a bunch of foamy crud that Echidna dumps out in the yard and a little vial of greenish-black liquid.

"Is this it?"

"No. Only first step, this is...weak. Impure."

Mutagens use the vitamin system. Essentially the generic mutagen powers your mutations, and the typed mutagen picks what kind you get. While you have mutagens in your system, you have a chance to mutate every 30 minutes or so. Every time you mutate, you spend some generic mutagen from your system. Bigger mutations cost more. If you're drinking mutagen, you need to wait for it to digest before it hits your system, and that can take a few hours. Both kinds of mutagens slowly leave your system over time.

A single drink of Elf-A mutagen has about 100 generic mutagen and 190 Elf-A mutagen (these are different than the % values you can see here, because gently caress you of course they are). It might actually have more, but since you're drinking it, you digest it slowly and some of it metabolizes out of your system. You need around 300 generic mutagen in your system to mutate at all, so if you want to use this stuff to mutate, you'll need 3 or more drinks at once. If that sounds inefficient, it is! You can use your resources more efficiently by drinking one or two elf mutagen, then drinking some basic mutagen to put you up over the starting line. I think they should come up with a different name for the mutagen vitamin so that I can explain this more easily, as it's also the name of the item and the two aren't the same thing.

In addition to needing ~300 generic mutagen to mutate, you also need a minimum amount of elf-a mutagen to get certain mutations. You can tell roughly how much you've got in your system in your @ screen - if it says Elf-A mutation, you're low. If it says Elf-A transformation, you've got a good amount, and if it says Elf-A metamorphosis, you have a ton and probably don't need more. The terms for generic mutagen are changing, warping, and mutagen overdose. Metamorphosis and overdose cause torso damage that can quickly become fatal, so try not to take that much.

They mix another sample with their concoction, cook it until it reacts, then they use a device that looks like a modern version of a medieval alembic to distill an emerald green fluid out of the sludgy mix.

Primers are the way to go here. A primer is basically quadruple strength for double the material cost. They don't include any generic mutagen, but there's a similar product for that.

Luo opens the doors to let the fumes clear out, and everyone gathers around to see the process.

"I can't believe you're doing this willingly."

"Gray and I lost someone before you all came along. If I can do anything to keep that from happening again..."

"You don't have to do this. The four of us can do the fighting."

"I do, though, and I'm doing it for me."

Echidna helps Earnest inject one dose of the catalyst and one of the primer.

"How feel?"

"Woah...weird. I dunno."

"Drink fluids, rest. I will check on you soon."

Echidna's Hub 01 poncho got a new sprite. It's hard to make out because it matches her skin.

The first course of mutagen doesn't make any super obvious changes, though Earnest is definitely looking slimmer and more angular. He gets pretty worked up about it "not working" and demands another dose. We help him with it, and he calms down and wanders off to wait for it to kick in.

Earnest has gained Light Bones, Animal Empathy, Less Sleep, Perceptive, Strong Back, and Mood Swings. That's one neutral, 4 positive, and one negative. Lucky? No! It's the new mutation system. You have a hidden stat called instability that goes up by about 100 every time you gain or lose a mutation. If your instability is under 800, you have about a 90% chance to gain a good mutation. Above 800 the chance slowly goes up until it caps at 30% good 70% bad at 8000 instability.

Instability drops by 1/day unless you have the robust genetics trait (available at chargen or via slime or fish mutagen), in which case it's 25/day.

This means it's generally a good idea to use mutagen early if you find it. You're not likely to get hit with a bad mutation and you can score a couple nice traits, and by the time you get more, your instability will probably have died down some. I think it's a much better system than before, though you should note that purifier is just human mutagen and using it to get rid of traits still raises instability - you're rewarded for dabbling, it's safe enough to go down a single line, and you're punished for backtracking or trying to be a perfectionist, though it's still possible to minmax your mutation setup with enough patience.

Echidna needs our help mixing up her own mutagen, and we oblige, throwing in bits of what seems like every animal we can find. We wind up with a lot more chimera mutagen than elf - she seems pretty gung ho about this, and she's the expert.

She gathers up several vials of primer and catalyst and fucks off to her room.

It has been hours since we took our medicine and it hurts. Everything hurts. Our bones crack and stretch while we lie in bed and scream and scream.

In our dreams, we are hunting, and we are hunted. We are the birds and snakes and mice and dogs and turtles and lions. We shriek and roar and start to lose ourself.

This is the funniest sprite in the game. I will try to catch it if I can, but it got away from us here.

We are free, running across the grass. We smash and bite whatever gets in our way.

We change. Our ears become dog ears and then wolf ears. Our tail is fluffy! Our claws are sharp and we are so, so hungry!

We are tall. Taller than all the ones at the place. Taller than the faces we can't remember. Our hands are eagle claws, snatching prey and cracking it in our grasp.

She's now seven feet and seven inches tall. I have no words.

Large talons makes us do 3 bonus cut damage with unarmed hand attacks and we can only wear fingerless gloves now. Alcohol metabolism means that we can now use alcohol as a food source. It always had calories, but most characters get drunk too quickly to really lean on it for nutrition. Fluffy tail adds 4 to our dodge.

We have to remember! We have to fight to hold on, or we'll come apart!

Weakening sounds scary but it's no big deal. Every once in a while we get a random tiny bit of pain, and when we sleep we heal 25% slower. The worrying part is that weakening can become deterioration.

Deterioration will slowly damage us over time until we fall apart and die. This can be offset or removed by other mutations and delayed (indefinitely in some cases) by medical care and healthy living, but it's a major concern if it pops up. If we get Deterioration, we'll need to either take purifier to hopefully remove it, or dip into another mutation line which could give us fast healing and cancel the effect. This can quickly spiral out of control as each attempt increases our instability. For that reason, I'm happy to leave weakening. We shouldn't even notice it most of the time.

Shouter makes us shout sometimes and greatly increases the volume of our vocalizations. We're now about as loud as a handgun. Nomad makes us get a minor mood debuff if we don't travel to new places once a month or so (we don't have to stay, and the mood debuff isn't too bad), and strong scent says that humans don't mind, but enemies that hunt by smell can find us more easily. Clearly, chimera is not built for stealth.

We are too big to fit in windows now.

Our skin boils and crawls. It splits and bursts. Our skin is human, it's scales, it's feathers and fur and chitin, all the parts inside us are coming out to fight and hunt and survive. We take off the metal suit Gray gave us.

Chimera mutants have 3 levels of natural armor, jumbled skin, patchwork skin, and patchwork armor. This is the first level, and it's already pretty decent. All 3 levels provide extremely good protection, though as expected it's a bit swingy. One downside is that this mutation prevents us from wearing rigid armor of any kind (including like, bracelets and eyeglasses), which I think might be a bug. Stay tuned.

Our tentacles twist together and melt and burn and then EXPLODE into legs! They have hooves for feet. We roar and jump on the bone man. We can reach his face, so we pull his jaw off and stomp and bite until he is dead! WEAK! He is helpless and WEAK!!

Yeah she solo'd a skeletal juggernaut naked and unarmed, what about it? Hooves are loving OP. Their base damage is 3 times your strength and they happen in addition to any other melee attacks you're making, similar to fangs, but far more powerful.

We find a sports bra and shorts in an old house. We're not supposed to forget. Still a person. Wear clothes. Still a person. We put them on and keep smashing.

Echidna is barely recognizable now. She's taller than Yao Ming even stooped as she is, and her skin is a crazy motley of random animal parts. When she moves, it's like nothing we've ever seen, her over-long arms nearly reach the ground, letting her sort of knuckle-walk like a gorilla, except gorillas don't have hooves. Other times she crawls around like something out of Bloodborne, or walks upright in terrifying imitation of a human. Her claws are even bigger than her teeth, and one of her eyes has gone all weird.

It's pretty badass. We were worried she might have gone feral when she came running up, but she picked us up and gave us a big hug. Does that mean her formula worked?

Earnest is different, too, but it's so downplayed next to Echidna's situation that it's hard to act surprised.

The first thing we notice is his eyes. They're not just green, they're practically glowing, and that's not all. He's looking good now - not great, but he was a gawky motherfucker before and now his skin is clear and his whole bone structure has changed, taking on a sort of regal androgyny.

Earnest took way less than Echidna and got pretty lucky on his rolls. He picked up chemical imbalance and mood swings, which we saw before. Chemical imbalance is fairly minor, it just gives you random pain, hunger, hot flashes, or cold. very dextrous gives him 2 extra dexterity and perceptive gives him 1 additional perception. Fey eyes boosts his darkvision, animal empathy means non-mutated wild animals are far less likely to flee or attack him.

The fact that Earnest has held onto his innate strong back trait is nice. It turns light bones into mostly a net positive - +10% attack/move speed is really great and the tiny loss to bashing protection can be offset with armor. He also lost his ugly trait. He hasn't become pretty yet, but it's in the cards if we get more mutagen in him.

Fey eyes mostly just look cool and boost your lying and persuasion ability somewhat, while reducing your intimidation ability.

"Really?!"

"We've been thinking about what Earnest said. Well, Reena has. I've got my own reasons."

"What do you mean?"

"My health is falling apart. The doctor at the refugee center said I was prediabetic. That was a year ago now and things haven't been improving. My back's still shot, I got the IBS...look, I was in the service back in the day. I'm a veteran, you know? It doesn't feel good being sidelined while you all put your butts on the line."

"I don't think you should look at what I do as aspirational."

"Darn it Gray, you cut that out. Echidna says this can help us. It might help me keep kicking another couple of years, and it'll help all of us if some badnick comes knocking and I'm not too sick to pick up a gun."

"Hhh...help. Help everyone."

"What about the risks? Who says it doesn't just kill you, or turn you into a monster?"

"I guess I'd rather die trying than sit down and wait for my feet to fall off. How about you, Reena?"

"I...well, I mean I'm not sick like Brandon is, but I'm scared all the time, and I think this is a way to beat that. And Echidna says if we only take a little bit, things shouldn't get too out of hand. Besides, there's the purifier, right?"

She sounds less sure, but what the hell. We have to admit we'd be relieved to not have to worry so much about them.

They take their shots. Brandon takes cattle - it seems like a crazy choice at first, but he goes on about idolizing Michael Jordan as a kid, and then makes a pretty good joke about becoming as healthy as an ox.

In the middle of an asthma attack, he jumps up to grab his inhaler. Jumps. He looks stunned at first, then, once his wheezing has cooled down, he twists this way and that, then bends down and almost touches his toes.

"The pain--it's gone! No more back pain!!"

Echidna continues changing before our eyes. It's terrifying. She screams in monstrous agony, she eats everything that has even a trace of meat in it, and big patches of her skin slough off and are replaced with new and even weirder ones.

Echidna has crossed the threshold, having taken enough chimera mutagen that her body no longer remembers what it was. She is now permanently a chimera mutant. Purifier will remove many of her traits, but not all. Like Father Kelly, she isn't human anymore.
You need to have a lot of points of mutations in a specific line already for this to happen, and it will never happen if you don't go over 2000 of a typed mutagen at any one time. If you only take one primer at a time, you won't get locked in like this. However, this can be a good thing - now that she's hit the threshold, Echidna has access to the top tier mutations in this line.

She can still take other mutagen types if she wants, she'll just never cross any other threshold.

She helps us plant crops the next morning, poking huge holes in the ground with her talons and very carefully dropping seeds in.

Reena's mutations are nearly as subtle as Brandon's, except her ears turn into bear ears. We have to admit they look pretty cute with her haircut.

Reena has jumped from like 18 to 58 HP from a single dose of mutagen. She's still got flimsy, but her other frailty traits are gone and she got +1 strength to boot. She's still not good by any stretch of the imagination, but a single dose of mutagen took her from unusably, laughably bad to perfectly playable.

We can take her further - if she sticks to bear, she'll become a big angry carnivore. I also saw votes for slime, and I think it might be funny to do some of that. We're currently out of slime samples, though.

Gray makes us a new coat so we can HUNT!!

She can't wear rigid armor, so we made Echidna an XL kevlar duster. Presently she's just wearing it over her sports bra and shorts. We can make her a suit later if necessary.

WEAK WEAK WEAK! MORE! MORE!!!!

She uses silat to kill another juggernaut in 10 seconds. It does not get to attack her at all. Remember that this takes Gray around a minute and is dangerous.

We don't fit through windows so we smash them down! Smash the frame! Get inside! Get all the food!

Smash everything! Easy! Weak!

Hungry. Always hungry. Keep moving, never stop.

She picked up the saprovore mutation, which means she can eat rotten food. The intestinal fortitude makes her only get 25% of the usual toxins from mutant meat, and while she's not (yet) parasite-immune, that's a long-term problem that can be solved with medication if it happens.

This is how chimera works: You turn into the biggest badass in the world, but your size and extremely rapid metabolism means you always have to be eating. This isn't a problem when she's not our viewpoint character - NPCs don't currently need food except via the faction camp system, and those values and nutritional requirements don't care about NPC mutations or metabolism (yet). Dionne's plan (canonically, not just in this LP) was to mutate some people into chimeras and let them loose in zombie-infested areas. Their incessant drive to fight and look for food would motivate them to clear these areas out for the military to come in and retake.

It wasn't a bad plan, all things considered. Chimera is great.

Laser gun!!

We drink the whole bottle of vodka. More, more!

RRRAAAAGH!!

More, kill more!

Too many below, too much smoke. We drop our grenade.

This subway station is all smashed, it connects with the other one.

The dead people did this, not us.

We clear this entire section of Cornwall.

Echidna returns from her mysterious errand, covered in acid and electrical burns. We set to work fixing her up.

If we want more elf mutagen for Earnest, we'll need to go back to the triffid grove. It's upriver, and our boat's hosed, so that's something to work on.

Echidna brough home a book about boxing, so we take some time to learn together.

Boxing is a fun barehanded martial art that follows a pretty simple principle. Move to gain a dodge bonus, hit back when you dodge for a lot of bonus damage. Just pretend you're Little Mac.

We go hunting for rocks with Vicar Amelia over here. At some point, she grew a huge scorpion tail, and in the time it takes us to get one swing in, she can smash, bite, sting, and stomp the enemy.

It's high time we put a proper workshop together. We build a forge, then install some shelves, a workbench, a seat, and a recharging station. We'll expand this as we go, adding solar panels, batteries, a freezer and whatever else we feel like.

Echidna keeps disappearing at night. We couldn't stop her leaving if we tried, but as long as she's having fun that's OK.

She kills about 400 zombies using melee only over the course of 2 visits, gobbling down whatever food and booze she finds on her rampage. These three juggernauts surround her (there's a fourth just offscreen) and she pulverizes them all with a baseball bat.

The next time we visit Rubik, we discover that Cornwall has been mostly depopulated. Buildings are knocked down and there are dead juggernauts everywhere. I guess that explains where Echidna's been going.

We pick up the following bionics:

Respirator - Can be activated to boost stamina regen, end asthma attacks, resist choking, and breathe water. It's fairly expensive to run, but super useful in a pinch.
Blood Analyzer - Can be activated to detect illnesses, drugs, etc in our system.
Oil Generator - Allows us to drink motor and lamp oil for fuel.
Titanium Skeletal Bracing - Increases our carrying capacity by 44 pounds. This is a big help.

We also install a few more power storage units, our max is now 2000kJ.

Looking over Rubik's stock, we realize some of our friends could make use of these things, even the mutants. A respirator would effectively cure Brandon's asthma, a dielectric capacitance system would keep Echidna safe from shockers on her rampages, and just about everyone could use a pair of anti-glare compensators and an air filtration system. We grab a few odds and ends, mumbling something about shoring up Natashia's loadout (we'll do that too, to be sure). None of them will likely take it as far as we are, but there's no reason we can't tune our buddies up next time we're in Scarborough.

We also take some time to fix up Powderfinger, installing new hulls, repairing the cabin, and slapping on some armor made out of spare chitin.

Chitin armor kits are lightweight and are just made out of cordage or tape and chitin. You can put them on without any tools so they're great for just slapping on a bicycle or whatever. They do tend to fall apart after a while, but chitin is plentiful, so who cares.

We'll probably continue mutating Brandon down the cattle line, as that's going well for him. I didn't get a ton of votes for Luo, so we've held off for now. It's easier to focus on a couple friends at a time anyway.

The new instability and armor systems make mutating far more powerful than it was previously. Echidna is already out of control and she's only about halfway as strong as she could be. Brandon and Reena had most of their problems solved overnight, and we see that while Earnest's mutations aren't as dramatic, neither is he stuck with any onerous penalties.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 28, 2022

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
I was about to ask "What Gray mutations?" before you caught it with your edit. See everyone, mutation is great! Everyone should do it. Having not played in a long time, I like the direction the mutation system is going in, much less of a slot machine.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Goddamn, Echnida's a beast.

It's funny that her sprite is kind of a cutesy-wutesy pig-girl looking thing mostly, when the proper description of her mutations is, yeah, something out of Bloodborne or the Cleric Beast from Elden Ring. Just this huge cloaked shape that runs down the street, armbar-tackles a juggernaut and throws it into another one so hard they both explode.

Is her digestion resistent enough to eat zombies? Or is their meat beyond rotten?

I also support giving someone the Slime mutations because I think they're really, really cool.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

PurpleXVI posted:

Goddamn, Echnida's a beast.

It's funny that her sprite is kind of a cutesy-wutesy pig-girl looking thing mostly, when the proper description of her mutations is, yeah, something out of Bloodborne or the Cleric Beast from Elden Ring. Just this huge cloaked shape that runs down the street, armbar-tackles a juggernaut and throws it into another one so hard they both explode.

Is her digestion resistent enough to eat zombies? Or is their meat beyond rotten?

I also support giving someone the Slime mutations because I think they're really, really cool.

Zombies are poisoned by highly concentrated XE037, so they're worse than rotten. None of our characters can currently eat it.

Echidna doesn't have any pig features?? she's just got a normal girl face with fangs and wolf ears, and her cheeks are blushing due to alcohol metabolism.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 28, 2022

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Can Echnida get large enough to wield mount only weapons like the laser canon they took off the power armor or the Powderfinger's main gun?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

worm girl posted:

Echidna doesn't have any pig features?? she's just got a normal girl face with fangs and wolf ears, and her cheeks are blushing due to alcohol metabolism.

Oh, yeah, by text she doesn't. But her sprite looks kinda like it has a cartoon pig head to me. I may be the only one who parses it that way.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

worm girl posted:

Zombies are poisoned by highly concentrated XE037, so they're worse than rotten.

The sprites have a very low level of detail, I can understand seeing pig from the ruddy face, hooves and "could be tons of different kinds of animal" shaped ears.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When I started reading this LP, I wasn't expecting a badass science heroine Vicar Amelie on our side, but I'm super glad it happened.

The wasp getting exploded was still the coolest thing to happen but this is a neat second.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Echidna is already out of control and she's only about halfway as strong as she could be.
Mhm. Yes. Good. :getin:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

When I started reading this LP, I wasn't expecting a badass science heroine Vicar Amelie on our side, but I'm super glad it happened.

She even has a science gun to science things with.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Don't gently caress with the Science team!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

There haven't been any new NPCs like Tad in a while. Are the super duper zombies just killing the ones that spawn before we can meet them? Or is it simply a narrative conceit?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

...can you pull a Wilson and make disgusting meat slightly more passable by cooking it into some sort of Monster Lasagna?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

silentsnack posted:

...can you pull a Wilson and make disgusting meat slightly more passable by cooking it into some sort of Monster Lasagna?

This is what you can do with mutant meat, you can process it in a number of ways to minimize the toxins and the grossness.
There isn't really anything you can do with Tainted Meat (what zombies butcher into) though.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

I brought my Drake posted:

There haven't been any new NPCs like Tad in a while. Are the super duper zombies just killing the ones that spawn before we can meet them? Or is it simply a narrative conceit?

They're around, but they only show up at set locations and we haven't visited any in a while. I was focusing on the beggars and didn't want to go track new people down just yet.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

This is what you can do with mutant meat, you can process it in a number of ways to minimize the toxins and the grossness.
There isn't really anything you can do with Tainted Meat (what zombies butcher into) though.

Right, we've been making pemmican and protein shakes out of the bugs we kill, but zombie meat breaks down super fast if you don't dehydrate it and it's impossible to cook with in any case.

Ardeem posted:

Can Echnida get large enough to wield mount only weapons like the laser canon they took off the power armor or the Powderfinger's main gun?

Unfortunately not, but if someone wants to code that real quick I bet it would get picked up.

Strength does reduce recoil though, so Echidna can at least hip-fire an LMG pretty easily.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, that escalated quickly. And then shot off sideways.