Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
On the bright side at least Dave's working on his own urban fantasy IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Meowbot posted:

whoa tales for mthe butterladns is 174. dollars ... pass

What? You live in Trinidad or Hong Kong?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: That effect is called "the first 10 hours of The Witcher 2" :argh:

Witcher 1 for me. I have 2 sitting there and 3 on my wishlist, but I want to do one first. I've tried 3 times now...

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Cactus posted:

Witcher 1 for me. I have 2 sitting there and 3 on my wishlist, but I want to do one first. I've tried 3 times now...

Just go to 2, read/watch a Let's Play of 1 if you really need to see the story from it. The game doesn't hold up well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cactus posted:

Witcher 1 is mega skippable. Do yourself a favor and just read its wiki articles or watch a Let's Play. The first chapter takes so long to play blind that you think the game is half-over. No, you are still in for another lifetime of rhythmically clicking on fishmen and fighting bosses that can only be killed by the environment.

edit: Second chapter? The one after the tutorial chapter.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 18, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cactus posted:

Here ya go

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

play Witcher 1. it's good apart from the poo poo combat (aka it is a Witcher game)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Convex posted:

What are you referring to? Only one I'm aware of is Dark Souls 2 but all those weapons could be enabled by just tweaking an ini if you didn't own the DLC.

They were also all available for purchase from a later game merchant.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I finished Blue Estate, and man that was a good game. I really hope they make a sequel or something since it ended on a huge sequel hook.

Actually i just wish there were more good rail shooters on Steam in general.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

play Witcher 1. it's good apart from the poo poo combat (aka it is a Witcher game)

:yeah:

Tho I actually kinda liked the combat, weird as it was. It was basically a rhythm game and if you invested in sword skills you ended up as Geralt the Human Blender.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Mordja posted:

:yeah:

Tho I actually kinda liked the combat, weird as it was. It was basically a rhythm game and if you invested in sword skills you ended up as Geralt the Human Blender.

I played it with a DDR pad.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i played all of the witcher 1 and liked it and then tried to play wticher 2 multiple times and couldn't get into it it at all

[ask] me about my weird broken brain

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got through the swamp in the first Witcher, went on holidays and when I came back I fired it up, realized I had no recollection of anything prior to that other than Salamander being bad and a bald fire wizard being a dick and just stopped playing.

I ended up watching the LP I linked above to catch up and play Witcher 2, got past the prologue and then... stopped playing. I've played the prologue like 3 times now and I always end up quitting it when I get to the first "town" after the forest.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Freak Futanari posted:

I finished Blue Estate, and man that was a good game. I really hope they make a sequel or something since it ended on a huge sequel hook.

Actually i just wish there were more good rail shooters on Steam in general.

I just tried it the other day but couldn't get into it. IDK maybe I need to gently caress with the mouse sensitivity but the gameplay didn't click for me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
March of

Day 1: 80 Days
Day 2: The Journey Down: Chapters 1 and 2
Day 3: Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
Day 4: Gray Matter
Day 5: Fran Bow
Day 6: Syberia
Day 7: The Dream Machine: Chapters 1-5
Day 8: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Day 9: Gone Home
Day 10: Shardlight
Day 11: Bad Mojo Redux
Day 12: Her Story
Day 13: Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Day 14: Oxenfree
Day 15: Waking Mars
Day 16: The Magic Circle
Day 17: Dropsy

Day 18: Three Fourths Home

Three Fourths Home is an interactive fiction game developed by Bracket Games. It first came to my attention due to Bracket Games’ Kickstarter for their second game, To Azimuth. I backed the campaign but it ended up failing. I played Three Fourth Homes not too long after and it made me feel disappointed that To Azimuth didn’t get funded.

Three Fourths Home has you play as Kelly, a young woman returning home to her family farm in Nebraska after some years away. She calls her family, her parents and kid brother, to tell them of her return as she is driving down the empty highway. As their conversations continue and old wounds are reopened a storm starts to brew over the horizon...

Three Fourths Home, being an interactive fiction game, has dialogue choices being its primary form of gameplay. It also makes you hold down a button to continue driving, which people on Steam whined about in the reviews (They also have no idea what interactive fiction is), but honestly as I got into the game I didn’t notice it all and it kind of immersed more in a way. Reactivity is more in the vein of what kind of person Kelly is and the relationship with her family. The writing is pretty good and you get a good feeling for Kelly and her family, enough so you care. The atmosphere is good, especially when the storm starts rolling in and it can be haunting at times. It feels like a short story in video game form, it’s not going to be very long to complete, about an hour or so, but it’s nicely paced. It being like a short story also helps with its themes, which it sticks to all the way through, ones of regret and decay. The real standout part of the game I feel is the epilogue. It does a really drat good job tying the game’s themes and ending together and it makes for a memorable and powerful ending.

Thankfully Bracket Games ain’t done because they recently announced that To Azimuth got picked up by a publisher and is planned to be released next year.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 19, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

DMC was a mediocre as gently caress and tryhard as poo poo and anyone who rushes to defend it saying that main series fans were being unreasonable are lolzworthy. (Because they weren't, they had very reasonable and relevant complaints.)
Mediocre... tryhard... rushes to defend it... lolzworthy... I just got lovely Games post bingo!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mediocre... tryhard... rushes to defend it... lolzworthy... I just got lovely Games post bingo!

To be fair those are accurate points outside lolzworthy which is dumb.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

i remember when people got probated for typing poo poo like lolzworthy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

She Bangs the Drums posted:

i remember when people got probated for typing poo poo like lolzworthy
Yeah and that was dumb. Posts can be bad without individual words being some sort of secret bad post signal. Punctuation is also not the problem.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah and that was dumb. Posts can be bad without individual words being some sort of secret bad post signal. Punctuation is also not the problem.

Touche. At least you didn't call me out on lack of Capitalization as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wasn't being serious with the last of the bingo there, but yeah DMC is genuinely tryhard, what with the sniper rifle abortion and the secondary female character getting raped a lot by her demon dad when she was a kid.

Compare that to cool old uncle Dante yelling about how this party is getting crazy as he ramps his motorcycle off a demon's face as he's eating a slice of pizza.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 18, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FactsAreUseless posted:

What about im gay

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

humble store has the exciting activision deal of 9 call of duty games for the low price of $200!!! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/callofduty_definitive_storefront

wait where are you going come back

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Activision truly is the master of sales.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

I'm really enjoying your write-ups, thanks for doing these!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

humble store has the exciting activision deal of 9 call of duty games for the low price of $200!!! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/callofduty_definitive_storefront

It only goes up to 2013 too omg

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Man, Neocore still hasn't learned optimization. I bought the Van Helsing final cut when it was on sale since I have 1 and 2 but not 3, and I'm getting worse load times than GTAV. I have 12GB system RAM and 2GB of VRAM on my card. I shouldn't be able to take a break to check Facebook on my phone while waiting for a B-grade Diablo clone to load.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Accordion Man posted:

Activision truly is the master of sales.
Well it's not too bad of a discount for the latest Transformer's game, $25 seems like it might be worth getting and maybe I can finally get some use out of that extra 10% since I have the humble monthly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't understand why anyone would buy multiple COD games at once. The main draw is the multiplayer, and the primary difference between versions is just "the newer one has more players"...

e: I guess it has a lot of the old single-player focused ones too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are there any decent single player fps that are 'realistic' like CS:GO or other "bullets seriously loving kill you" games?

Edit- other than deus ex.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nevvy Z posted:

Are there any decent single player fps that are 'realistic' like CS:GO or other "bullets seriously loving kill you" games?

The Metro games on the Ranger settings. Last Light moreso though, 2033 has more monsters that just swarm you.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I haven't played in well over a year, but if the idea of online WWI era FPS appeals to you, nearly every drat shot in Verdun is one shot kill.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242860/

Edit - completely missed the "single player" part of it.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 18, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Unbalanced posted:

At this point if you don't go into a game's finale expecting disappointment then I don't know what else to say.

Law and Order Legacies has a good ending

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Law and Order Legacies has a good ending
RIP Lennie.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

ARMA 3 has a single player campaign that's okay and is semi-open world.

The STALKER series can also be modded to be fairly lethal.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
More games need to end with a song about the game you just played playing over the end credits, it never doesn't make an ending better.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

superhot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dead Rising 3 for 15 bucks. Yay or nay?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Going through some of my adventure game backlog due to my write-ups and oh boy was Year Walk boring as gently caress. Its use of Scandinavian folklore is cool, but the puzzles are either really tedious or obtuse. What a waste of a cool premise.

The Last Door was good though, kind of shat the bed at the end of the game puzzle-wise so I don't think I'll be covering it because there are better games to cover, but its worth checking out.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Nevvy Z posted:

If you're willing to go back to Deus Ex go Ghost Recon Desert Siege and the original Ghost Recon. Don't judge them by the direction the series went after that.

Though there is some planning and management of your teams you can just play as one guy and swap into anyone else's body when they get shot if you're not into that part of it.

• Locked thread