Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“Kud god išo,

Na Te pišo,

Kud god stao,

Na te srao.

Tikva, glava,

Govno – mozak. –

Šuti Petre kazat ću Ti,

Punu kapu nasrat ću Ti,

Ti si Petre srce moje,

Što naserem to je Tvoje!” –

dijeljeno po zgb. ulicama 4./8. 1914.

I really need to translate for the thread this but I have no idea where to begin :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh my god, hahahaha :allears:

e: The Trump Song, 1914 edition

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Carcer posted:

True, but based on the dairy they were probably using captured vehicles at the time and out on the open road, not participating in an attack on a town where who was on what side should have been far more obvious. The Italians also nearly did it three times in a row.

With the "latest" Friendly Fire incident, I doubt the captured vehicles came into play as they could've been level bombing from several thousand meters up.

Since the diary says the 39th Anti Tank Regiment, its important to note its actual name was Panzerjager-Abteilung 39, and was attached to the 21st Panzer Division. Photos of that unit in Africa don't appear to show any captured examples, although this doesn't rule out the possibility.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Saxons are practically the Danes of Germany. I'm glad I don't have to directly communicate with them. No joke, it took me months to realize they were supposed to be speaking German when I moved in.
imagine what i sound like, it's that but in a thick American accent

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

my dad posted:

Oh, man, the names that just show up written with a little cross by the side. You know exactly why it's there, and wonder who they were and what they were like. And you'll never know. :sigh:

I was sad to read Sgt.Ziegler die so soon after his promotion :(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's a song "dedicated" to the Serbian King Peter. This is my best attempt at at translation, but it's vastly inferior to the original:

Wherever you go,
I'll piss on you!
Wherever you stop,
I'll poo poo on you!
Your head's a pumpkin,
you've shits for brains!

Shut up Peter, I'll tell you,
and fill your hat with feces, too!
You, Peter, are my lovebird,
To you goes my every rear end-turd!

my dad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 21, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With the "latest" Friendly Fire incident, I doubt the captured vehicles came into play as they could've been level bombing from several thousand meters up.

Since the diary says the 39th Anti Tank Regiment, its important to note its actual name was Panzerjager-Abteilung 39, and was attached to the 21st Panzer Division. Photos of that unit in Africa don't appear to show any captured examples, although this doesn't rule out the possibility.

I didn't mean to imply that the friendly fire during the attack was because of captured vehicles, but rather as a mitigating factor for why their own aircraft attacked them in part 2 or 3.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Man, I'm getting hungry from the way Stjepan writes about food.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's weird to think that some of my ancestors went through similar AH army misadventures (adjusted for being a Serb, and probably a fair bit of desertion). I wish they left more records about it.

e: Sorry for the double post. I'm just reading this stuff and posting my thoughts. I'll stop now.

my dad fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 21, 2017

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sep 23, 1914

At 6 pm ate pork for dinner, black coffee and two teas with rum. Rain started, filled my canteen with coffee. Artillery and rifle fire started at 7 PM. I got drunk on brandy and fell asleep.

e: Stjepan's hand-drawn battlefield sketches are really good and detailed.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 21, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
PzIV part 1

Queue: PzIV, PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D, SR tanks

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1
Howitzer Motor Carriage T-18

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
Soviet tractor tanks
02SS Aerosan
SU-76 prototype
LPP-25 NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
EMIL and KRV
Strv 103 NEW

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B1 bis
Char B1 ter
25 mm Hotchkiss gun

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII trials in the USSR NEW
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb
7.5 cm Pak 41
Hummel
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
CKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Carcer posted:

Its almost as if the Italians were trying to sabotage the Axis from the inside.The germans would have suffered less if the they'd had to fight the Italians instead.

You're gonna make me post more out of that Italian Navy book, aren't you?

WAR!! - to the end of 1940

- as Britain and Italy squared off in the Mediterranean, they found themselves with similar tasks: disrupt each other's convoys. At the same time, both navies had learned the lesson of not operating without air cover. For the British, that generally meant Carriers. For the Italians, that meant staying in range of land-based aircraft on Italy, Sicily, and Sardinia.

- In one of those "don't loose a war" tales, the Italians acted like the British, IE conservatively, trying to maintain their fleet while accomplishing their military goals. This lead of course to a lot of smack talk on the British side of the "moral ascendancy of the RN over the Italian Navy" which because the British were the Winners in that war got repeated uncritically. If the Italians acted like the Japanese, they would have been criticized as being overly reckless with irreplaceable assets, as the IJN was at Midway. You can't win if you loose a war!

-The British had to resupply Malta, which possibly could have been taken place had Italy and Germany at all co-ordinated their efforts. The British were quick to start re-enforcing it with army troops, and so that opportunity was lost. Malta would be held, but it was of only limited usefulness in Axis convoy interdiction because in order to stage ships, aircraft etc you need to resupply them, and that proved very difficult.

-When the British did run a convoy, they rolled extremely heavy - a carrier, battleships, multiple cruisers, many destroyers. Basically so that if the combined surface fleet of the Italian Navy showed up, they would still be out-weighed.

-The Italian fleet raised steam a few times anyway, to see if they could pull British ships into a fight. These failed, because even when you know a fleet is out there, it can be a difficult thing to find without radar. The only problem here was the shortage of fuel, even then.

- Dick measuring time: total numbers for the RN and Italy in the Mediterranean July 1940

RN:
Battleships: 7
Carriers: 2
Cruisers: 7
Destroyers: 30
Torpedo boats: 0
Submarines: 16

Italian Navy:
Battleships: 4
Cruisers: 18
Destroyers: 52
Torpedo boats: 76
Submarines: 113

While the Italians had some numbers compared to the RN, the British of course had many units elsewhere; in 1940 many RN ships were of course staying around Britain, in case there was an invasion.

-If you compare ships built during the war, then those material difficulties everybody is banging on about with the Italians become pretty clear. (This is from 1940 to 1943)

RN:
Battleships: 5
Carriers: 6
Cruisers: 26
Torpedo boats and Destroyers: 176
Submarines: 107

Italian Navy:
Battleships: 5*
Carriers: 0
Cruisers: 3
Torpedo boats and Destroyers: 49
Submarines: 41

*Four of these five were launched in 1940.

-In contrast to the British, the Italians needed to run extremely regular convoys to Libya to supply their army. In 1940 these convoys were rarely attacked. A persistant logistical problem with the convoys was that Tripoli was the only port with anything approaching modern facilities, and even then, they were pretty small. Benghazi and Torbruk were even smaller, which formed a significant bottleneck.

- The main advantages the British had were radar and ULTRA intel. The Italian Navy actually used their own ciphers, and in a bit of wise paranoia, often restricted Naval communications when possible to wired channels. The British had not cracked the Italian naval cypher - but the Italian Air force had bought enigma machines from the Germans. Because they needed to coordinate with the Navy, the British could cull clues out of Italian Air Force transmissions. Somewhat worse: by the end of 1940, people were beginning to think something was up with the Royal Navy having a sixth sense about Italian Navy operations. The Germans, thinking the Italians had hosed something up, insisted that their Navy use their objectively superior enigma machines for communications. Enigma ciphers started to be use much more broadly by the Italian Navy, and the advantages of separate naval ciphers and communication discipline was lost as ULTRA decryption became more effective.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 21, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Krengel Diary Part 8

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

18 June: Constant fighter-bomber attacks today. It is very hot, but by the 19th things are almost back to normal; we see only our own planes on the 20th and all is quiet on the 21st.

22 June: We hear the news of war beginning with Russia. One of our Pumas* needs a replacement suspension so we drive to Bardia. We hear on the radio in Bardia that the battlecruiser [Admiral] Scheer is returning to Germany.

They are not Pumas!

28 June: We're still in Bardia but we hear news of our victories in Russia; Brest Litowsk captured by our forces there. We return to our unit and set up a new camp at Cape Ras [at the entrance of the Gulf of Oman].

28 June --- 13 July: We're in camp, listening to news from Russia and killing time. A few of our men have been attached to a supply company under the command of Theilen. Bialistok [Poland] has been taken along with 160,000 Russian POWs. In Russia, German troops have reached the Dnieper River.

We receive 15 new replacements and salvage some lumber from a stranded freighter. A Hurricane was shot down near us. The latest news from the Atlantic is that the USA occupied Iceland on 8 July - and they're not even at war. On 9 July we practice firing our carbines. The Iron Cross has been awarded to Pvt.Kalies. In Russia, the battle of Minsk brings us 375,000 POWs. On the evening of 12 July, we staged a soccer match against 2nd Company and won 3 to 2. In Russia we take Witebsk.

14 July: 4th Company challenges us to a soccer match; we take them on but during the game 2 Hurricanes attack our Stukas and shoot down 2 of them, and our fighters down 2 of theirs. The score is 2:2. We continue our game and win 5:1. On the 15th another 5 Hurricanes are shot down.

19 July: In Russia, Smolensk has been taken. Here in camp, we have a film in the evening. General Rommel and staff arrive to watch the movie too. Nothing much is happening here; guard duty by the shore, one man taken to the hospital with malaria. I've been admitted to the field hospital with stomach pain but I'm able to watch a Karl May movie while there titled "Through the Desert."

The movie is called Durch die Wüste in German. Karl May was a character in the movie, not an actor (Because Karl May died in 1912). The movie was initially released in 1936.

3 August: Night guard duty in the desert north of Bardia. A Doctor inspects our medical facilities and we get more good news from Russia. On the 8th, enemy bombers fly over, searching for targets.

9 August: We are loading up finally, to relieve the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion near Sollum. 1st Lt. Behr has been transferred back to Germany. We move out on the 10th and arrive 10 miles north of Capuzzo at 9 AM. We do a short patrol toward Sidi Omar.

He survived the war! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winrich_Behr

quote:

In January 1943 he was sent by Paulus to try to convince Hitler of the hopelessness of winning the war on the Eastern Front; this mission did not succeed.

:eng99:

11 August: We return to Sidi Omar and tour the positions of the Italian "Savoy" Division. It is a very hot day again. We are staying here with the Savoy Division, resting, eating macaroni and fresh meat. In the evening we are relieved by the 4th Pioneer Co.

It was actually the Savona Division. The Savoia Division surrendered in mid-May 1941

14 August: We move to Capuzzo but return to the Savoy* Division on the 17th; same old routine, in out in out and then back to Sidi Omarch. It rained for a change - now our engines won't start.

27 August: Today I have been in the Wehrmacht for 2 years.

4 September: Now the nights are getting cooler. Ssgt. Gier has departed for a few days for Appolonia. On the 7th we move out at 3:45 AM to Sidi Omar and then we are sent from there to El Abitt for patrol duty.

8-9 September: We are still patrolling near El Abitt.

12 September: Rumors abound that we will be attacking somewhere soon. During the night many Panzers move east along the Coastal Road [Via Balbia]. I don't feel very well. The next night I'm in a bad shape, no food and I'm constantly sick. I still feel bad on the 14th and 15th.

16 September: My 23rd birthday and I'm spending it in Africa. We are relieved by a Pioneer Company. I still feel sick so I report to the medic and I am taken to Bardia Field Hospital. Yellow Jaundice is the finding and the cure is staying warm, extra salt, and a diet of rice, flour, oats, and fresh fruit, but I don't feel any better on the 18th or on the 19th. Feeling better on the 20th and on the 21st I'm able to go for a short walk.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

OwlFancier posted:

At least I assume I'm looking at a relatively representative sample of German accents there, I suppose I could be listening to a room full of people from the German equivalent of Somerset.

Since nobody answered that, nope those guys don't even speak in an accent, that's the standardest of standard German.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jobbo_Fett posted:

19 July: In Russia, Smolensk has been taken. Here in camp, we have a film in the evening. General Rommel and staff arrive to watch the movie too. Nothing much is happening here; guard duty by the shore, one man taken to the hospital with malaria. I've been admitted to the field hospital with stomach pain but I'm able to watch a Karl May movie while there titled "Through the Desert."

The movie is called Durch die Wüste in German. Karl May was a character in the movie, not an actor (Because Karl May died in 1912). The movie was initially released in 1936.
neither--May is an author of adventure stories and Westerns who was popular in germany back then and as far as i know still is. this movie was based on one of his books:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May%E2%80%99s_Gesammelte_Werke#Durch_die_W.C3.BCste

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAIL posted:

neither--May is an author of adventure stories and Westerns who was popular in germany back then and as far as i know still is. this movie was based on one of his books:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May%E2%80%99s_Gesammelte_Werke#Durch_die_W.C3.BCste

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202859/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Across_the_Desert

IMDB labelled Fred Raupach as "Karl May - genannt Kara Ben Nemsi"

-"Karl May - called Kara Ben Nemsi"

:shrug:

Fred Raupach died in 1942 somewhere in Russia.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 21, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cool, thanks. One more question: when the guy writes "we're hunting desert rats" are they literally doing that or is that a euphemism?

It was probably quite literal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I used to bullseye those in my T-16 back home.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Please translate the serb diary! Also, thanks Jobbo!

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Saxons are practically the Danes of Germany.

:catstare:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I used to bullseye those in my T-16 back home.

I was going to make a dumb pun by linking a real world vehicle here but apparently the only real T-16 is what the Canadians called the Bren gun carrier and an obscure Russian tank

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Some really great stuff in this thread at the moment, keep going with it everyone. Loving the war diary - same poo poo, different side.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

Please translate the serb diary!

Croat. Stjepan is a Croat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202859/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Across_the_Desert

IMDB labelled Fred Raupach as "Karl May - genannt Kara Ben Nemsi"

-"Karl May - called Kara Ben Nemsi"

:shrug:

Fred Raupach died in 1942 somewhere in Russia.

Karl May's best known characters are self-inserts. Both Old Shatterhand and Kara Ben Nemsi (literally Karl of Germany) are Germans with the same background as May, and perhaps even the same character in the same literary universe under different pseudonyms, at different times.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They just recently made a new Karl May Western movie with a hot Albanian-German as the main Indian.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

HEY GAIL posted:

Oh, he still is. As a Utah native, I can report that all western national parks are overrun​ with middle-aged Germans in cowboy hats.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Carcer posted:

Its almost as if the Italians were trying to sabotage the Axis from the inside.The germans would have suffered less if the they'd had to fight the Italians instead.

To be fair, in the end that happened. One of the most shocking things I learned about was the time when a German Gebirgsjägerdivision got orders to turn on their Italian allies and they just cheerfully turned around and massacred them all. That was chilling to read.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is a tradition, like how the Saxons changed sides in the middle of The Battle Of Nations.

Please do translate the Croat KuK soldiers war diary now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

To be fair, in the end that happened. One of the most shocking things I learned about was the time when a German Gebirgsjägerdivision got orders to turn on their Italian allies and they just cheerfully turned around and massacred them all. That was chilling to read.

If I recall from Soldaten the Germans despised the Italians anyway by and large, so I'm not too surprised.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Italian Navy in WW2 - MOAR WAR!! till the end of 1940

-The war started off with a variety of small actions, the biggest of which was an Italian submarine sinking the RN cruiser, the Calypso.

-As soon as Italy entered the war, they began bugging their German allies to let them operate out of Tunisia. This was a French colony at the time. The importance of this was simple - being able to offload in Tunisia would mean convoys would be able to make more round trips, and offload more cargo, about the only way constrained Italian industry could improve its resupply ability. Ideally, the Italians could also stage aircraft out of Tunisia to provide air cover for convoys.

-The Germans were not interested, as they thought at the time that they could get the French into the war on their side.

-The Axis were also slightly hopeful they could entice Franco to get Spain to enter the war on Team Fascism, maybe even take the hated British Naval base at Gibralter?! This was a forlorn hope - Franco was of the opinion that Spain's economy was much too hosed up to think about fighting any sort of war.

-Punta Stilo. The Italians launched an air attack of 72 bombers and 58 fighters against the first Malta resupply convoy; this negated the carrier borne defenses, but unfortunately the bombs dropped were far too light to seriously damage armored ships. The Italian Navy also joined the fray, with cruisers exchanging shells and battleships joining combat. With many warships turning and racing and making smoke, Italian AF units occasionally became confused at attacked their own ships. Cesare took a few hits from Warspite, reducing her speed. The British got a bunch of Torpedo attacks off via Swordfish biplanes, but none of these torpedoes hit. Adm. Cunningham (Cunning ham, what a weird name) got some SigInt he thought meant "Air-Submarine ambush" and withdrew to Malta. The toll of the battle was: no Italian losses, though the Battleship Cesare had taken some damage. While nothing had been sunk on the British side either, BB Warspite had been damaged, as had the cruisers Malaya, Liverpool, and Gloucester. The carrier Eagle had also taken some damage, keeping it four months in drydock.

- The Italians had planned a destroyer attack on the British fleet that night (at this point, the RN lacked radar, so it was a fair threat) but it was in the end canceled owing to a shortage of fuel.

- Cape Spada: This was a destroyer-cruiser dust-up between the Australian Cruiser Sydney and five destroyers vs. Italian light cruisers Bande Nere and Colleoni who had been ordered to the Aegean Sea to raid merchant ships. The Italian ships were without destroyer escort or air cover (weather was bad at the time) and hoped to use speed to protect themselves. The Italian cruisers spotted the flotilla of destroyers and engaged them with some long range gunnery. The RN destroyers fled, and the light cruisers chased them for some two hours. Then, the Italians found themselves being engaged by long range gunnery from another direction, by the Sydney. As the two Italian ships maneuvered, the Sydney and the RN destroyer group managed to get opposite sides of the two Italian ships, restricting their maneuvering power and speed. Then a shell hit Colleoni's engine room, leaving her dead in the water. The destroyers closed and finished her off; Bande Nere managed to disengage. The light cruisers had managed to get a shell hit on Sydney's fuel bunker; but lucky for the Sydney, that shell was a dud.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

- The main advantages the British had were radar and ULTRA intel. The Italian Navy actually used their own ciphers, and in a bit of wise paranoia, often restricted Naval communications when possible to wired channels. The British had not cracked the Italian naval cypher - but the Italian Air force had bought enigma machines from the Germans. Because they needed to coordinate with the Navy, the British could cull clues out of Italian Air Force transmissions. Somewhat worse: by the end of 1940, people were beginning to think something was up with the Royal Navy having a sixth sense about Italian Navy operations. The Germans, thinking the Italians had hosed something up, insisted that their Navy use their objectively superior enigma machines for communications. Enigma ciphers started to be use much more broadly by the Italian Navy, and the advantages of separate naval ciphers and communication discipline was lost as ULTRA decryption became more effective.

This is actually somewhat tragic.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Malaya is Warspite's sister, not a cruiser. Funnily enough, I just last night read a book that described Nagato (one of Japan's second most modern class of battleships, after the Yamatos) as a cruiser. What a coincidence.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Krengel Diary Part 9

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

23 September: At 11:45 PM, we have an air raid alert. We were all in bed and before we could reach the shelter several bombs detonated in and outside the hospital. It's a terrible tragedy; we don't know who's dead and who has survived. I'm slightly wounded on my left upper arm and my eyes hurt.

24 September: We count 6 dead and many wounded. The wounded are air lifted to Athens in Greece. I'm okay but outside I find an unexploded bomb right under my window. I was transported by road to Derna but the hospital there couldn't do much for my eyes. I need a new pair of glasses from a qualified optician, but the nearest one is in Benghazi.

26 September: Early morning I'm taken to Benghazi Military Hospital and have my eyes examined, then I'm allowed to visit the town. Tomorrow morning I will be taken by air to Tripoli to another military hospital. Another overall examination and my ear gets treated where bomb shrapnel hit me.

We have an air raid alert at 2 PM but no bombs fall in our vicinity. The hospital staff even gives me a bottle of German beer, the first I have had in months.

30 September: Another examination today, then I'm free to walk the city of Tripoli and visit the Wehrmacht cinema where the movie "Bismarck" is playing. After the movie, a film is shown of the latest speech of our Fuhrer.

4 October: I'm suffering again from stomach cramps and jaundice and there was an air raid on the city. I'm now on the observation ward for several days and receive a new pair of glasses on the 9th.

11 October: I'm still in Tripoli. I walked into town and visited the Rialto Restaurant for a nice dinner. I'm getting restless here but have to stick it out. I had to pay 84 Lira for my new glasses. Listening to the radio I hear the news from Russia. Kalinin and Kaluga have been taken. Bryansk and Wjasma were taken along with 650,000 POWs.

20 October: Woke up early this morning to a loud "Boom." Apparently a buried bomb with a time fuse went off; window panes broken but no casualties.

30 October: Finally I am supposed to be released from the hospital today and leave at 2 PM. I am to report to the local Front supply office. The next morning I am taken by truck to Camp 5 and at 5 PM by air to the front. We stop overnight in Benghazi and the next day we stop 50 miles west of Derna. 3 November, we stop near Tobruk.

4 November: At noon I arrive at my company 6 miles west of Bardia and everyone greets me with a big hello. The Company had suffered two deaths during my away time; Mueller died of cholera and Lt. Krause of diptheria. Hans Romer, my driver, has been transferred to HQ. 1st Platoon is scheduled for a reconnaissance mission. I want to go too, but I am told to stay put. I have to go for recuperation to a Wehrmacht home.

7 November: At 5 AM, the platoon moves out without me. It's getting really cold now in North Africa. Also I got the news that my cousin died on the Bismarck in May. Our Commander lets me out with a platoon on a short patrol on the 8th. On the 9th I finally receive some much awaited Field Post mail from home and spend all day the 11th going through the letters. Lt. Napp tells me that I have to report to General Rommel on 12 November.

12 November: I leave for Derna and report with 14 other men to HQ. We are told that we have been selected for recuperation in Appolonia and we arrive there at noon. We have an evening out and visit a bar. This is supposed to be home leave away from home so we enjoy it. Appolonia is an old city near Cirene, directly by the sea. Our Camp has 3 buildings named after our German garrisons; Stahnsdorf, Krummhausen, and Krefeld. We have good meals, no duty, and we are allowed to purchase civilian clothing. We spend a lot of time strolling around town. We listen to radio broadcasts and hear that the carrier Ark Royal has been sunk by U-boats. We get beer in the evenings.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

And hilarious. I guess it would have been an insult to German pride to notice the fact that the only armed force that hadn't been totally compromised in regard to codes was the Italians.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hunt11 posted:

And hilarious. I guess it would have been an insult to German pride to notice the fact that the only armed force that hadn't been totally compromised in regard to codes was the Italians.
Who knows, maybe the British deliberately only responded to Ultra information regarding the Italian navy (whose codes they couldn't crack) specifically to mindfuck them into thinking that Italian naval ciphers had been cracked, so they would then switch over to the (actually cracked) Enigma codes. Which would some pretty amazing psyops.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hunt11 posted:

This is the same alliance where 1)the Italians were ahead of the Germans regarding radar, only the Germans literally didn't ask about Italian research, and only started to try and coordinate radar research with them at the end of 1942.

In another example of alliance fuckerage, at the start of 1941, the Italians were all "so now that you are not going to invade Britain, the center of gravity in this war is shifting to the Mediterranian. Does that mean we can get more resources, especially oil?" And the Germans were all "Yep, sure, let me get on that" already planning to attack the Soviet Union.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yvonmukluk posted:

Who knows, maybe the British deliberately only responded to Ultra information regarding the Italian navy (whose codes they couldn't crack) specifically to mindfuck them into thinking that Italian naval ciphers had been cracked, so they would then switch over to the (actually cracked) Enigma codes. Which would some pretty amazing psyops.

No, the British acted on all ULTRA; the Germans were just too arrogant to believe their "literally unbreakable" cryptosystem had been broken.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Libluini posted:

~30,000 interned Italian soldiers were worked to death in Nazi factories after the surrender, according to Wages of Destruction.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
PzIV part 2

Queue: PzIV, PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D, SR tanks, Soviet tractor tanks, HTZ-16, Char B1 bis, Char B1 ter, 02SS Aerosan

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1
Howitzer Motor Carriage T-18

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype
LPP-25 NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
EMIL and KRV
Strv 103 NEW

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
25 mm Hotchkiss gun

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII trials in the USSR NEW
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb
7.5 cm Pak 41
Hummel
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
CKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39)

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 23, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's terrifying to think how the world could have ended up if the Nazis actually had their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, this completely slipped my mind, but maybe the M4M Sherman was supposed to be something like this?

The idea was to use Sherman hulls for SU-85 and SU-100 tank destroyers to free up factories for production of more T-34s.