Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Bloody posted:

this is a pretty solid looking layout. i like that your silkscreen has actually been annotated. what are the five blocks on the left? usb connectors it looks like? or maybe that's just the middle one

or are those just header blocks?

yeah, my philosophy comes from the electrical engineer that I work with: If you're paying for silkscreen, you may as well use as much of it as you can.

The five blocks on the left are designed for these little spring terminals that adafruit/sparkfun sell:

you could use regular headers too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

peepsalot posted:

Also I looked into getting ham license so I can have legit creds when the man tries to hassle me for flyin FPV. Took an example test online without studying any FCC nonsense about freqs and power levels and all that, and i knew enough general electronics to get a passin 27 of 35 questions right. (26 required to pass). So I'll prob go to a local test session or whatever and give it a shot. :hellyeah:

if you're gonna get your tech go ahead and run through the General pool. if you pass the technician test (they grade on the spot) they'll let you attempt the general for no extra charge. same with general to extra

extra's tough but general is basically the tech test + add questions on the General class HF privileges

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

this is why im utterly confused at why electric vehicle manufacturers havent come out with a sick2nasty EV truck. do all your traction control/4wd in software. monster torque. no driveshaft/diff/transmission underneath to get hung up on rocks. Put a 1.0L turbo diesel 3cyl under there spinning a generator at the efficiency peak for both. unf

electric?

you mean like a girl would drive? or a hippie?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
is there a decent sketchup tutorial out there cause im just loving around with random youtubes

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Arcsech posted:

i think this is on tesla's todo list

probably in "super special top secret master plan part 3" which will be announced when someone is killed by their in home solar battery

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

C.H.O.M.E posted:

probably in "super special top secret master plan part 3" which will be announced when someone is killed by their in home solar battery

anyone volunteering to short a tesla battery across their chest?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

epipen posted:

anyone volunteering to short a tesla battery across their chest?

its dc

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

electric?

you mean like a girl would drive? or a hippie?

yea i mean truck drivers intentionally make their poo poo run like garbage so they can piss off people behind them by going too slow and making tons of black smoke

i dont think they care about power or control other than having a 'displatement bigger than urs' badge on the back next to a badge that says Cummins above their truck nuts

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

so's a defib, it'll still kill the poo poo out of you

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

epipen posted:

we never specified how long we would be doing this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

epipen posted:

no its not

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Bloody posted:

no its not

i was wrong, we moved to waveforms in the 60s or some poo poo i guess, early units were DC

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's 375 volts

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

really depends how long its there and how much of a fatty goon you are because the initial resistance might be so high you might just get a great zing but prolonged contact would start cookin into your conductive flesh juices and really deliver fatal current unless your electrodes were huge and you have thick dry skin

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

im not recommending it or saying its a good idea im saying its probably way less lethal than 60hz 120vac across the chest

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

resistance of skin is in the order of megohms so you could probably grab the terminals and be fine. however, it goes down a lot when you pierce the skin because, suprise, blood is mostly water and is filled with salt electrolytes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

very dry skin is quite resistive but bad news about when it gets sweaty or otherwise damp at all

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

u can get <5k impedances through on a hairy head pretty easily, for example

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've touched 330V DC from charged-up flash capacitors a number of times, and it is a really unpleasant experience even for the 200 milliseconds or whatever that it takes to discharge to an unfeelable level.

i wouldn't want to have a 375v electric car battery put across any part of my body for any length of time, even if it is DC.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
memories of getting stung over and over in a chain link colo cage by a bad ground somewhere by -48vdc

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Connected the 1970s Marantz I'm going to rebuild to an Audio Precision APX525 analyzer last night using test probes. I only had enough to do one channel at a time, some Monoprice cables should come next week and I can do the whole thing.

The signal path went from auxiliary in to the preamp out, I'm not sure if I need power resistors to test the speaker outputs or what...

Got some pretty (lovely) graphs. Let's hope performance improves after repair. The left channel is far worse than the right.

Right Channel RMS with frequency (pretty good)

Left Channel RMS with frequency :zombie:

It was a little nerve-wracking connecting the receiver to the analyzer, I was afraid some short to mains would kill this $15k+ piece of (rental) equipment.

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 29, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, those finals are current sources so you're going to want to put dummy loads on the output to make sure they play nice when sourcing actual amps

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Cool, I'm glad to hear some confirmation :) (I don't know what I'm doing, despite the fancy equipment)

I'll buy 4x 4-ohm 100W power resistors on Amazon in :rice: green anodized cases, should do the job for four and eight ohm measurements.

Any suggestions on how to set the volume knob when I do tests through the entire signal chain? Unity? Full-scale? I'm assuming I should leave the bass/mid/treble at their midpoints, and disable "loudness" right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
absolutely flat as can be, yep. Loudness switches are the devil unless you're running super low vol (obv).

I would ramp up the volume from zero while testing until you see distortion numbers come up, see where you are on the knob and see how tight that correlates to the rated THD numbers for the thing, if they're available -- or a ballpark estimate from a similar amp that does have specs published.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Wouldn't full-up be unity gain on an old pot volume knob like that? I mean all it can do is reduce output, as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering what to do with my H/K receiver's volume knob. It likes to drop the left channel a lot. I've blasted it with Deoxit a few times and while it temporarily improves things the problem always resurfaces. I'm guessing it's just a lovely pot (receiver is only about 10 years old) and I wonder if there is an easy way to replace it. IIRC it's mounted on its own PCB so no idea how much work it would be.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the volume knob is generally an attenuator early on in the signal chain, so the finals work less at lower volumes. technically yes unity gain but not for the whole chain.

as far as pots go, only thing I can say is get the service manual, find a similar pot on Mouser with close physical dimensions and the same value/curve, and heat up the ol' iron

super space age answer: get some digital pot ICs and put those in place of the old volume pot, whip up an arduino pro mini to drive that and take input from whatever fancy rotary encoder you like off ebay. enjoy your drive-by-wire volume with whatever curve you like

e: you could also put it in party mode with a hard limit on volume that way lol, so no rear end in a top hat can keep cranking the stereo

e2: you could also put it in PARTYYYYYY! mode with a minimum volume :v:

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 29, 2016

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Well from experimentation, unity was around 1/4 of the volume knob turn. Edit: Unity at the pre-amp output.

I don't think the volume knob works by simply dissipating power from the signal (well effectively it does, but it's not just in series), most likely it's controlling the amount of negative feedback in the pre-amplifier. Turning volume up decreases negative feedback and turning it all the way down is full negative feedback and because there's a resistor in series with the input the gain gets close to zero. Just a gut feeling, not positive.

Edit: After looking at the signal path and the schematic, I think I was wrong, the volume pot really is just attenuating the line-level input to the pre-amp stage. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's probably easier to get predictable performance if the gain is constant, rather than varying. I am *not* an EE, if you couldn't tell.

E2: The reason that unity gain output from the pre-amplifier isn't at the far right of the volume knob is because the pre-amplifier gain is >1. For example, if the pre-amp gain is 10, then 1/10th the input signal would result in unity gain.

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 29, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That sounds pretty sane, yeah. And you're right, variable gain amps are way less common than fixed gain amps with input attenuators/pads. You CAN do them, but you rely on the device's Hfe/gain curves instead of relatively predictable resistor networks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I forgot about this thread so maybe when I start building my sikk y2k computer I'll post about it in here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

certainly sounds like an idiot spare time project

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its finished

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

BiohazrD posted:

its finished

i have that same printer, a good printer

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

is that a niles or xantech whole home audio thing I see?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

it may be, its a monoprice brand which means its just some other manufacturer with their logo and stuff slapped on it

im currently writing a dll to control the thing which ill plug into a webapi and write an iphone app so i can control audio in each room with my phone, but thats a ways off

From top to bottom:
Ubiquiti ER-Lite3 with a rackmount adapter
TP-Link 24 port gigabit switch (will eventually be replaced with an Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 24 PoE)

Colors are:
Red - Unfirewalled ethernet in from ONT
Green - router on a stick lmbo
Yellow - standard data
Orange - PoE devices at the other end (currently unused, eventually will be Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO APs and a couple of IP cameras)
Purple - NAS ethernet
Blue - Server ethernet
24 port cat-5e patch panel
Monoprice 6x4 amplifier/audio router for multizone audio (controlled with a phone app thanks to the RS232 port)
1u Shelf with a 3rd gen Apple TV (Airplay audio for multiple rooms). I'm going to be adding a TiVo Mini here as well so I listen to games and stuff out on the deck.
Dell PowerEdge R410 (Dual Xeon Hexacore w/ HT, 64GB DDR3 ECC RDRAM, 500GB Samsung EVO 850). Mostly used as a Plex server and for the occasion when I need Windows for something.
Synology RS2416+ NAS 8x3TB drives with room for 4 more
Canon injet printer (if I need to print something in color or scan)
Brother laser printer (for everything else)
APC SmartUPS 1500 to prevent power loss during flickers and graceful shutdown if there's a full blackout.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
that's a nice rack

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im allergic to that kind of power consumption these days but +1 all around, nice setup

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

power usage really isnt that bad! right at about 140 watts for the server, the xeons are older but still have nice thermal and power management and clock way down at idle

synology uses an atom, so most power usage is really low and the wd red drives use something like 4 watts, so i think it clocks in right a 90 or so

switch router and amp use around 15 total (amp at idle)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
deece! nice

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

so when do ARM servers become a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

32-bit ARM servers came and went because everyone apparently wants big memory, AMD have a new ARM chipset but not much else news.