Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://x.com/benln/status/1794780004888592886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

In enshitification news, our oven is going out and we’re looking for a replacement. We can only buy a gas range because we don’t have 240 in the wall or at least I don’t see it and that’s what we’re replacing,

Trying to decide between a single oven with a drawer or a range with two ovens (small and large). My wife was initially inclined for the single since the larger oven in a double setup is on the bottom. She wanted a warming drawer.

Now we found out that the new oven drawers are just storage drawers, they don’t warm independently of the oven (cost savings). So we agreed on a range with two ovens but then we found out they no longer sell them with a rolling rack and just sell standard racks so you basically suffer trying to take anything out of the oven.

This is apparently just unique to GE now and some ovens have the rolling rack but not the gas versions. This is just further cost cutting to save $300 bucks for the mfger while not lowering the price of the oven.

Do you not have abt or other stores that sell used appliances that come with warranties?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Azrial posted:

I tried to find numbers on how expensive it is to regain a customer that left because you got too expensive and now the customer’s brain thinks of you as too expensive but I couldn’t quickly. I should have assumed this because marketing is a bullshit black hole who couldn’t tell you how much a customer really costs to acquire as they shovel money into a furnace. I bet you have to spend a ton of advertising money to get these people back in addition to the lost revenue but as always short sighted quarterly numbers.

The term you're looking for is "trust thermocline," and while I can't give you any solid scientific citations, most of the people talking about it say it's basically impossible. A company will be doing great, and then increase their price a little bit, and make their service a little shittier, and everything will continue to be doing fine, so they'll do it again the next year, then the next year, then the next, until suddenly they'll lose a shitload of customers all at once, because that passed over some hidden boundary that nobody could tell them where it was until they hit it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

When there is more housing available and more people can afford housing, that is a downturn that is getting worse.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

he has 2 shotguns illegally in the house but thinks killing an intruder will be more costly than being robbed and my mom told him he couldnt just buy less than lethal shotgun rounds or a cop would kill him during whatever racist nighmare rescue scenario they are thinking of so he opted for a bright orange 400 dollar halo gun that hurts a bad guys eyes and is deadly to asthmatics

your mother is much much smarter than your dad what on earth is she doing with him

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^
yeah they hate each other theyre like 70 some odd its enertia

Ham Equity posted:

The term you're looking for is "trust thermocline," and while I can't give you any solid scientific citations, most of the people talking about it say it's basically impossible. A company will be doing great, and then increase their price a little bit, and make their service a little shittier, and everything will continue to be doing fine, so they'll do it again the next year, then the next year, then the next, until suddenly they'll lose a shitload of customers all at once, because that passed over some hidden boundary that nobody could tell them where it was until they hit it.

this is the rumor of why schlitz beer lost all its marketshare. the myth was that they spent huge r&d money figuring out cheaper replacement ingredients and processes for every step of brewing until everything was different and undrinkable

a schlitz of theseus

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:48 on May 27, 2024

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

all those 400k equity grants handed out 5 years ago

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Glumwheels posted:

In enshitification news, our oven is going out and we’re looking for a replacement. We can only buy a gas range because we don’t have 240 in the wall or at least I don’t see it and that’s what we’re replacing,

Trying to decide between a single oven with a drawer or a range with two ovens (small and large). My wife was initially inclined for the single since the larger oven in a double setup is on the bottom. She wanted a warming drawer.

Now we found out that the new oven drawers are just storage drawers, they don’t warm independently of the oven (cost savings). So we agreed on a range with two ovens but then we found out they no longer sell them with a rolling rack and just sell standard racks so you basically suffer trying to take anything out of the oven.

This is apparently just unique to GE now and some ovens have the rolling rack but not the gas versions. This is just further cost cutting to save $300 bucks for the mfger while not lowering the price of the oven.

every home microwave i see now has the same exact design regardless of the brand, because they come from the same factory lol

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Horseshoe theory (of microwaves)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

apple didnt fall far from the tree LMFAO bitch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

owned by my phone keyborat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BULBASAUR posted:

all those 400k equity grants handed out 5 years ago

Finance psychos literally do not know how much any real human being gets paid

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

meanolmrcloud posted:

I’m still a sucker for chipotle because they have always had the vegetarian sofritas as an option, where 90% of actual Mexican places don’t have anything vegetarian beyond rice and beans (if they aren’t full of actual lard) and maaaybe fish tacos.
in their heyday, all three locations by us had lines out the literal door from 5-8pm. after the second food poisoning story went national it cleared out a bit.

Yeah, the vegetarian options are $10 and you get a huge amount. People that order the steak + guacamole + queso stuff are suckers.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

^^

this is the rumor of why schlitz beer lost all its marketshare. the myth was that they spent huge r&d money figuring out cheaper replacement ingredients and processes for every step of brewing until everything was different and undrinkable

a schlitz of theseus

The Schlitz legend I heard in college 20 years ago mentioned something about a precipitate in the beer that appeared due to cheaping out on things

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

^^

a schlitz of theseus

It's in this article but they bury the lede

https://vinepair.com/articles/schlitz-history-ad-campaign/

The article pretends that they hosed up on advertising in the headline ala the endless shrimp poo poo with Red Lobster, but if you read a little further:

quote:

During the 1970s, in an attempt to cut production costs and keep up with growing demands, Schlitz’s owners decided to shorten the beer’s brewing time by implementing a process called “accelerated batch fermentation.” They also opted to replace its malted barley with a cheaper ingredient, corn syrup, and began experimenting with the use of a silica gel to prevent haze once the beer was chilled. (It was obviously a very different time.)

Soon Schlitz’s slogan as the “most carefully brewed beer in the world” was no longer applicable. Sales dropped as Schlitz’s customers grew frustrated with the brand and started returning cases of beer. In 1976, Schlitz recalled more than 10 million cans and bottles of beer, costing the company over $1.4 million in losses. In 2020, that’s the equivalent of $6.3 million.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's in this article but they bury the lede

https://vinepair.com/articles/schlitz-history-ad-campaign/

The article pretends that they hosed up on advertising in the headline ala the endless shrimp poo poo with Red Lobster, but if you read a little further:

Lmao Jesus Christ the precipitate was silica gel?

Apr 7, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Lmao Jesus Christ the precipitate was silica gel?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://x.com/FireCubeStudios/status/1794031621080805621?t=9lRU5TkH64wNcIe31TjpIw&s=19

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Willa Rogers posted:

Do you not have abt or other stores that sell used appliances that come with warranties?

No I don’t think so and I don’t want to go down that road although buying an older model probably has all the features I want.

It’s obnoxious how worse it has all become in just a few years. They consolidated models down to just a handful and they’re locking features behind different product lines that are not equal.

The kicker is even though they’re all the same size oven (30”) the racks are not interchangeable. The interiors are slightly different dimensions. The gas ovens are slightly smaller and won’t fit an electric oven rack so you can’t just buy the oven and then add a rack you want or whatever.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

In enshitification news, our oven is going out and we’re looking for a replacement.

what’s wrong with the oven? how old is it?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

reluctantly, i have no choice but to become the joker

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Smythe posted:

homeboy this semester i filled up 3 of these mfs

with THIS

oh this is nothing. i'll try to see if i can find any of my comp books i took notes in during PA school

margin to margin, college ruled, all lower case and symbols.

when i was a kid they'd keep me inside during recess to practice my penmanship lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

this isn't new iirc. adblock was sold out to some malware company years and years ago

everyone smart has been using ublock origin for like a decade now

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://x.com/MissSassbox/status/1794352608884531482?t=GVfJFk6Gp6ERtTEpuxIbNA&s=19

People don't know how to write cursive anymore because they don't write, period. If you do a lot of handwriting, you're going to land on cursive eventually just from trying to write more efficiently, but it's not some cultural failing that people aren't familiar with a skill that they won't use anyway.

I had a recent experience with this when I took my 13 year old daughter to get a photo ID (so she can travel).

When the counter person asked for her signature I said "Oh you've probably never signed anything hey?" and she thought about it and just printed her initials. Which was good enough.

I told her that I sign my name so rarely that my signature has actually changed and I have to think about how to do it as I start.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

biceps crimes posted:

what’s wrong with the oven? how old is it?

I think it’s the control board. It will go dead while the oven is running and then we have to smack it to get the power to come back. Two of the burners don’t ignite unless you try to ignite a working burner. The overall BTUs of the burners and oven are weak. We have 3 useful burners out of 5. The 5th is a center burner for a griddle we don’t have the accessory for so we never use it.

Kenmore elite is the worst brand of appliances, both the microwave and oven have fallen apart at the same time. Fridge compressor died two years ago right after we moved in.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://x.com/MissSassbox/status/1794352608884531482?t=GVfJFk6Gp6ERtTEpuxIbNA&s=19

People don't know how to write cursive anymore because they don't write, period. If you do a lot of handwriting, you're going to land on cursive eventually just from trying to write more efficiently, but it's not some cultural failing that people aren't familiar with a skill that they won't use anyway.

maybe im an idiot but whats the point of learning a lovely skill like writing unintelligibly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I guess my personal experience was that I initially tried to write in print/block lettering, but over time you start rolling the cross-bar of the 'f' right into the next letter, or the 'r' becomes unrecognizable because you join it directly to the 'e' that comes after, and once you start making those shortcuts it's really only a hop skip and a jump towards cursive. But it took that point to understand why you would use it in the first place, and the reason for using it is what's lacking even when it's being taught.

Apr 7, 2003

Palladium posted:

maybe im an idiot but whats the point of learning a lovely skill like writing unintelligibly

It isn't unintelligible if you learn how to do it properly

nobody does anymore though so you might as well throw it in the shitter as being useless and the panic about it is on par with buggy whip protectionism.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
When we bought our house it came with a Blamco oven and microwave. It turns out both were actually useless - they'd turn on and give the appearance of working but didn't actually generate heat. I chucked the microwave because I had the old one from our old place but I figured the oven's problem was probably that the heating element had died, so I found a replacement and ordered it. Only it turns out they didn't have the exact right one so they sent a part that had a 10% higher power draw. It plugged in and worked well enough but I'm not an electrician and was/am concerned about using a higher power heating element than what the oven was designed for. I returned it and ordered another one from a different site. Same thing happened so I tried again. Same thing happened a third time, so I gave up and bought a new oven.

Anyway point of the story is Blamco, which sounds like a fictional company from Fallout, makes poo poo appliances. Buyer beware.

Apr 7, 2003

DickParasite posted:

When we bought our house it came with a Blamco oven and microwave. It turns out both were actually useless - they'd turn on and give the appearance of working but didn't actually generate heat.

lol your inspector hosed you, they should be checking both of those. a microwave is easy to check, wet a piece of paper towel and nuke it for 30 seconds.

Apr 7, 2003

That said a microwave or stove are the cheaper end of what inspectors should be checking

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol your inspector hosed you, they should be checking both of those. a microwave is easy to check, wet a piece of paper towel and nuke it for 30 seconds.

You'll get no argument from me. It's very exciting wondering which appliance will fail next!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I sign things all the time with a wavy squiggle no one gives a poo poo nothing matters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ham Equity posted:

Marketing as mentioned is a fake field consisting entirely of bullshit so there's not much real research on it besides that one article, but it's absolutely a thing. People will put up with a lot of enshittification as long as they're still receiving the product and/or service, until the point they realise it's not going to stop and it's no longer possible to ignore, and then go 'gently caress it' and look for alternatives. It's likely to happen all at once as a network effect when they see people seeking out alternatives and follow them or seek recommendations for alternatives that don't suck as much.

It's actually easier to come back from major fuckups, as they can be seen as singular mistakes and something a company can in theory learn from, or at least spend a while in 'baby come back' mode, but a company that's already hit the trust thermocline probably has management and culture that's unwilling and effectively incapable of reversing the shittiness.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

is handwriting analysis still considered a legit forensic anymore?

like 40 years ago it was legit science but how do they do it now with all the block printing?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Willa Rogers posted:

is handwriting analysis still considered a legit forensic anymore?

like 40 years ago it was legit science but how do they do it now with all the block printing?

IIRC it turns out it was always pseudoscience

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I mean beyond comparing the handwriting of serial killers etc.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A couple decades ago Domino's did a huge campaign of "we know our pizza has sucked, but we're changing ingredients to make it better so please try it again" and it was pretty successful

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that seemed to be their entire campaign here from like 2005-2019. i remember their australian CEO would keep popping up on the ads with a real stern look on his face, like "mate, we know this just isn't good enough."

haven't seen a dominos ad for a while actually so maybe they finally made a good pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://x.com/jeremiahdjohns/status/1794543011298410980

https://x.com/jeremiahdjohns/status/1794543016650342739

https://x.com/jeremiahdjohns/status/1794543021750640885

Ladies and gentlemen, our future!