Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

John F Bennett posted:

Are we even sure they're going to name it Playstation 5?

They haven't said this officially, but I'd be shocked if it isn't. It'd be madness if they call it anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
optical drive. thank you cerny <3

hope its complete backwards with ps1-4.

anywho:

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1118146404155707392

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Are we even sure they're going to name it Playstation 5?

Sorry double post.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MZ posted:

They haven't said this officially, but I'd be shocked if it isn't. It'd be madness if they call it anything else.

PlayVstation

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder if this is the console generation where I'll finally have to grow up and buy a new surround receiver because they stopped supporting toslink. The Pro still has it at least!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm super excited about the audio and of course the backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 5.

Like with all consoles though I'll be getting one a couple of years after it drops so I can get some kind of bundle/kinks will be worked out/whatever, but drat backwards compatibility owns.

The backwards compatibility really is a pleasant surprise after all the times Sony has talked about how it's not a widely used feature/not worth it/etc. over the past decade. It's also show the changing times from the past gen too though - Microsoft's backwards compatibility is good, but I think Sony is competing with the Switch here more than Microsoft.

Concerns:

SSD, like folks say, if it's not user replaceable it better be pretty big. But going by the PS4, Vita, PS3, and PSP I'm not optimistic about that at all. Like having an SSD will be nice but I have a feeling we'll all be plugging our own USB drives into this after a couple of months. I've always hated this aspect of video game storage since the 360. The SOLE REASON THIS KIND OF STORAGE EXISTS is so you can buy more poo poo and get more tied to digital purchases on a particular platform, they should be eating it and giving way more storage out of the box. Sony's always been a little cheap with this.

Backwards compatibility - Is this full backwards compatibility? Or will there be a separate PS5 PlayStation Store where one has to buy digital games again? I'm assuming not because of how the PSN currently is set up but given the PS4's love of remastered editions I'm a little skeptical about how far reaching this will be.

The optical drive will probably be 4K blu-ray but maybe not, is 4K UHD catching on? They might cheap out on this stuff to keep the price down, which honestly is fine for me. But it will be interesting in today's world if they think it will be worth going all the way with the optical drive. Obviously it won't have the impact the the PS2 playing DVDs had when that dropped, but it will be interesting to see what they do here.

I'm a dumbass regarding video formats, is UHD something they could include later via an accessory? Not with a whole new drive like the 360's HD-DVD peripheral, but like how the original XBOX (not the third Xbox which they chose to name the Xbox One) had that cheaper piece you could plug into the controller port that came with a remote to let it play DVDs? Like is the cost of including it more a licensing thing more than the hardware like that was?

Raytracing.....does that mean a whole lot of 20-35FPS games yet again? Is this something it does on all games by default or something that's used or not depending on the dev?

The possibility of 60FPS Bloodborne with very short load times. This is a "concern" only because it's basically the only thing on earth that would make me get a PS5 at launch because hooooly loving poo poo that would rule. :aaaaa:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Is 4K UHD catching on?.

No

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Neo Rasa posted:

Concerns:

SSD, like folks say, if it's not user replaceable it better be pretty big. But going by the PS4, Vita, PS3, and PSP I'm not optimistic about that at all. Like having an SSD will be nice but I have a feeling we'll all be plugging our own USB drives into this after a couple of months. I've always hated this aspect of video game storage since the 360. The SOLE REASON THIS KIND OF STORAGE EXISTS is so you can buy more poo poo and get more tied to digital purchases on a particular platform, they should be eating it and giving way more storage out of the box. Sony's always been a little cheap with this.

WRT to the SSD, someone in another topic pointed out that it sounds like it's going to be a large cache drive instead of the console being entirely SSD based.

quote:

At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

So think like 32-64 gigs of high speed ssd close to the cpu along with a larger hdd for general game storage

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah that's what I meant by "momentum". But for the home market, how much longer will most people be using PCs at all? Everyone younger than a certain age grew up on smartphones.

People have been trying that line for nearly twenty years now, and there's a good reason it hasn't taken.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured that they wouldn't be able to say no to BC this time no matter how much they wanted to, because of people's expectations from smartphones.

It's an x86 architecture. Really it would've been harder not to have backwards compatibility and there's zero reason not to do it when they can just brutally mock Microsoft, again, by having the entire PS4 library on-hand at launch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So what should I probably expect to spend on this thing?

I'm seeing a lot of people say 500-600 which... eeesh. I'm not looking forward to that.

Also this is the first gen I've 100% been going digital. I hope backwards compatibility also means I'll be able to transfer my games + saves from my PS4 to the PS5

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm a dumbass regarding video formats, is UHD something they could include later via an accessory? Not with a whole new drive like the 360's HD-DVD peripheral, but like how the original XBOX (not the third Xbox which they chose to name the Xbox One) had that cheaper piece you could plug into the controller port that came with a remote to let it play DVDs? Like is the cost of including it more a licensing thing more than the hardware like that was?

Kind of an aside, but the Xbox DVD player dongle was a licensing thing. There was no special hardware related to DVD playback at all in it, just an IR thing for the remote, but MS didn’t want to pay licensing fees for a feature not everyone was gonna use. Making you buy a separate accessory to make you cover those license costs was their workaround.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macaluso posted:

Also this is the first gen I've 100% been going digital. I hope backwards compatibility also means I'll be able to transfer my games + saves from my PS4 to the PS5

That's the beauty of PS Plus cloud saves; Won't care about the hardware, just gets stored on a server and can be called by your account on another Playstation device.

edit:

Hamelekim posted:

It's using modded existing PC technology. It's not gonna be that bad, and they will probably take a loss at the start as usual.

If they can pull off raytracing >= 30fps locked then it will be killer.

Sony has a long history of price-gouging on custom storage media for their past consoles.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Augus posted:

I am a bit worried about what the price point is gonna look like if the console is gonna be this much of a powerhouse.

It's using modded existing PC technology. It's not gonna be that bad, and they will probably take a loss at the start as usual.

If they can pull off raytracing >= 30fps locked then it will be killer.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Macaluso posted:

So what should I probably expect to spend on this thing?

I'm seeing a lot of people say 500-600 which... eeesh. I'm not looking forward to that.

If it is ahead of what this years PCs can do then it's worth 500 dollars. Plus if they have the whole PS4 backlog, digital and physical purchases it makes the value even better. Sell your PS4, save money for the rest. You still get all your PS4 games and all the benefits of running better on a PS5.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the beauty of PS Plus cloud saves; Won't care about the hardware, just gets stored on a server and can be called by your account on another Playstation device.

edit:

Sony has a long history of price-gouging on custom storage media for their past consoles.

They didn't with the PS4 though. Everything was so custom in the past and things have changed in the industry, and with Sony leadership.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Buying a PS5 asap seems like a no brainer since its BC.

Im assuming it runs them Pro enhanced for the games that support it.

I never bought a Pro so unless my PS4 dies before 5 is released, this seems like a good upgrade.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm the same, never bothered with the Pro so if the BC is great on the PS5 I'll just get one whenever our PS4 dies.

If you have a bunch of games downloaded onto an external hard drive, like if you get a new PS4 can you just plug it into that one and then log in and play them once you make that your primary PS4? I hope it's that simple for the PS5

Dewgy posted:

Kind of an aside, but the Xbox DVD player dongle was a licensing thing. There was no special hardware related to DVD playback at all in it, just an IR thing for the remote, but MS didn’t want to pay licensing fees for a feature not everyone was gonna use. Making you buy a separate accessory to make you cover those license costs was their workaround.

This was exactly why I brought it up, because I'm not sure of where most of the cost would come from for whatever formats they want the PS5's optical drive to support.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Buying a PS5 asap seems like a no brainer since its BC.

Im assuming it runs them Pro enhanced for the games that support it.

I never bought a Pro so unless my PS4 dies before 5 is released, this seems like a good upgrade.

That SSD does not do Microsoft's hardware strategy any favours either, because I doubt they can step to "minimal/no load times".

Neo Rasa posted:

This was exactly why I brought it up, because I'm not sure of where most of the cost would come from for whatever formats they want the PS5's optical drive to support.

Given that it's capable of 8K graphics :eyepop:, it'd seem pretty safe to assume it'd do 4K UHD Blu-Rays to me. If not potentially futureproofing for whatever the next iteration of physical media is, given they've got a big old Film/TV division trucking away as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have a hard enough time differentiating between true 4K and 1800p. At higher resolutions it becomes less about your native pixel count and more about image reconstruction!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Concerns:

The optical drive will probably be 4K blu-ray but maybe not, is 4K UHD catching on? They might cheap out on this stuff to keep the price down, which honestly is fine for me. But it will be interesting in today's world if they think it will be worth going all the way with the optical drive. Obviously it won't have the impact the the PS2 playing DVDs had when that dropped, but it will be interesting to see what they do here.

No, not at all, it's very niche in today's streaming world and for enthusiasts only. BUT, given that games are getting larger and larger I think they will include this for the storage alone as the discs are 2x the capacity of normal Blu-Ray, also it would be very weird to have a fully next-gen console with an optical drive that only supports the older 1080p Blu Rays in 2020 (especially as they seem to be going big with the rest of the hardware spec.)

Neo Rasa posted:

Raytracing.....does that mean a whole lot of 20-35FPS games yet again? Is this something it does on all games by default or something that's used or not depending on the dev?

Unfortunately most of us are speculating yes, but praying it will be something they will let us toggle. It's still cutting-edge though so not every game will use it out of the gate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

I have a feeling I might be buying both the next gen Xbox and Playstation. They'll probably collect dust besides a few exclusives and I'll spend most of my time on PC/Switch Pro.

Next gen xbox is a pc tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm super excited about the audio and of course the backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 5.

Like with all consoles though I'll be getting one a couple of years after it drops so I can get some kind of bundle/kinks will be worked out/whatever, but drat backwards compatibility owns.

The backwards compatibility really is a pleasant surprise after all the times Sony has talked about how it's not a widely used feature/not worth it/etc. over the past decade. It's also show the changing times from the past gen too though - Microsoft's backwards compatibility is good, but I think Sony is competing with the Switch here more than Microsoft.

Concerns:

Backwards compatibility - Is this full backwards compatibility? Or will there be a separate PS5 PlayStation Store where one has to buy digital games again? I'm assuming not because of how the PSN currently is set up but given the PS4's love of remastered editions I'm a little skeptical about how far reaching this will be.

The possibility of 60FPS Bloodborne with very short load times. This is a "concern" only because it's basically the only thing on earth that would make me get a PS5 at launch because hooooly loving poo poo that would rule. :aaaaa:

You worry too much

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Early Access version of Dreams going up on PSN atm. Limited number of copies. $30.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
they called the tenth playstation the playstation five

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

So it gonna be PS5 versus Xbox One Infinity?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Early Access version of Dreams going up on PSN atm. Limited number of copies. $30.

Snagged my copy. The editor will probably be too complicated for me to bother with but I'm going to enjoy seeing what others come up with.

Here's the store page. It wasn't actually coming up in a search.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
If Sony has some first party release games with full raytracing/pathtracing to show it off that will sell a ton of consoles.

It will also be good for 20xx card owners on PC!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hamelekim posted:

If Sony has some first party release games with full raytracing/pathtracing to show it off that will sell a ton of consoles.

It will also be good for 20xx card owners on PC!

Ehh ps4's gfx gimmick was particles and aside from knack and infamous it didnt make a big splash.

Im expecting ps5 raytracing to not really be that gamechanging but nice to have in a hopefully cheap box

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If Battlefield V and Metro Exodus are any guide, ray tracing is going to be used primarily to augment polygon graphics for now, if only because polygons are so vastly more efficient. You only need rays for certain effects that can't be done easily or correctly with polygons.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'll throw my money at Sony if they make it possible to play Demon's through Dark Souls 4/Bloodborne 2/Sekiro 2 on one platform.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Ehh ps4's gfx gimmick was particles and aside from knack and infamous it didnt make a big splash.

Im expecting ps5 raytracing to not really be that gamechanging but nice to have in a hopefully cheap box

God of War also made good use of particles, but yeah, that's pretty much the complete list. Bringing up features like raytracing this early is just marketing to present the console as powerful, so I'm gonna ignore it.

I appreciate the confirmations for BC and PSVR compatibility. Sounds like Sony doesn't want to alienate anyone who bought into the PS4.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

J-Spot posted:

Snagged my copy. The editor will probably be too complicated for me to bother with but I'm going to enjoy seeing what others come up with.

Here's the store page. It wasn't actually coming up in a search.

Hecking same.

Can't wait.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

God of War also made good use of particles, but yeah, that's pretty much the complete list.

Destiny 2 makes extensive use of GPU particles but yeah, it wasn't exactly a killer feature this generation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Raytracing is one of those features where the actual effect is subtle and more of a holistic kind of thing that you really need to spend some time analyzing to appreciate. But it's easy to slap RAY TRACED GRAPHICS on the box like it's this generation's version of blast processing.

If PS5 really wanted to universally improve image quality and performance they'd invest in an adaptive sync solution. That is an immediate and unmistakeable game changer when you have a monitor capable of it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

acksplode posted:

I appreciate the confirmations for BC and PSVR compatibility. Sounds like Sony doesn't want to alienate anyone who bought into the PS4.
VR has done pretty well for them and they want to bring that base to PS5 for their future headset.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If PS5 really wanted to universally improve image quality and performance they'd invest in an adaptive sync solution. That is an immediate and unmistakeable game changer when you have a monitor capable of it.

It's so good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wish they hadnt stopped making those ps4 enhanced ports of ps2 games, since i'm presuming ps5 won't have backwards compatibility past this generation

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Forcing users to buy a new TV to get that feature seems to be a bit of a tall order.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

Forcing users to buy a new TV to get that feature seems to be a bit of a tall order.

Fortunately for me, I already have an adaptive monitor. Wrap it up, 4kailures. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lunar detritus posted:

Idk, I've been waiting to buy a 4k TV until OLED gets affordable. Knowing that I get active sync when I eventually upgrade would be nice, and I'd feel a little more pressured to finally do it.