Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

How are u posted:

Or you could quit being a baby about it and work your rear end off to elect even Pete the rat because every one of these Dems has a good shot against Trump and 4 more years of Trump isn't going to teach your enemies a lesson and will in fact obliterate the last environmental protections the loving country still has and the climate apocalypse you Bernie or Busters like to shout about as the reason that Bernie must win is loving guaranteed.

It's guaranteed with Pete too

E: I'll probably end up voting for him out of despair because the alternative is Trump, but gently caress donating to him or canvassing for him. He has billionaire backers he doesn't need my chump change, and I can't lie to people's faces so canvassing or phonebanking for him is out. But it doesn't matter how I vote, I live in a red state that he will lose, in a nation that he will also lose because he sucks and Trump will clown all over his West Wing pablum in the debates.

But it's loving ridiculous to use "Trump will destroy the climate" as an argument because so will Pete that is 100% guaranteed.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

Pete will probably keep campaigning as he has been and signal he will pick a black running mate if things still look bad in SC.

Identity voting doesn't work that way with black people. Hillary polled over Obama for a while in the south with black people.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why have we been arzying for 500 posts this afternoon? You'd think the spectrum outage on the east coast would hamper that.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Or you could quit being a baby about it and work your rear end off to elect even Pete the rat because every one of these Dems has a good shot against Trump and 4 more years of Trump isn't going to teach your enemies a lesson and will in fact obliterate the last environmental protections the loving country still has and the climate apocalypse you Bernie or Busters like to shout about as the reason that Bernie must win is loving guaranteed.

Christ, you fuckers are exhausting.

Pete Buttigieg is backed by the exact kind of people who are driving Trump's environmental deregulation and the only difference is that oafs like you are too embarrassed to admit you're voting for the same platform polished over with limp platitudes designed to reassure your completely empty sense of self worth.

I mean you'd be saying all this stupid poo poo about Biden too, an instance where's it's objectively laughable to cite environmental protections, so more likely something's just short-circuited in your brain.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2020

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was trying to think of the ultimate conspiracy theory and I think I landed on a good one. Granted, I don't even believe it, but it's fun to think about.

What if the ultimate Sanders sabotage was the DNC's decision to run impeachment on Trump knowing it would never stick and would only serve to rally his base around him, for the purposes of being absolutely certain he'd have enough support to beat Bernie because they knew he was going to get the nomination eventually

There's no wavering base to whipped for Donny. MAGA are ride or die tangerine fascism, and they were never going to waver. That base isn't something for anyone to concern themselves with, electorally.

The election will depend entirely on firing up the Democratic base, who were not fired up last time, and to a much, much lesser extent herding the moronic centrists/independent cat voters. Bernie does that, but he also is well positioned to bring out lots of people who have been sitting out electoral politics for lack of a choice or candidate. Bernie going into November is positioned to do 2008 Obama and better numbers.

Impeachment is going to be a non issue on the top of the ballot. It's effects will be felt down ballot as "reasonable" Republicans are unable to decouple themselves from Donny.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Kunabomber posted:

Seriously, the emotion coming out of Iowa should be anger and resolve, not despair.

A week ago I was drat about to :toxx: for Biden because I didn't think there was a way that Bernie could overcome him. Its far better to be resolved because we don't know what is going to come next. In 2 weeks we could all be lol'ing at Butt getting 10% in NH and then all Arzying about Tom Steyers epic surge in South Carolina

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Office Pig posted:

Pete Buttigieg is backed by the exact kind of people who are driving Trump's environmental deregulation and the only difference is that oafs like you are too embarrassed to admit you're voting for the same platform polished over with limp platitudes designed to reassure your completely empty sense of self worth.

I'm voting for Bernie because he's the President we need.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey, if I write a big long effort post about what to look for in this upcoming debate, a debate guide so to speak, would anyone bother to read it?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

I am worried in regards to the black vote that Pete will play up his Christian credentials in order to sway him. He was able to get a lot of (admittedly white) people in Iowa because he is the only one of the group that would talk about his (supposed) faith.

All of those religious elderly black voters in the Deep South are all super loving homophobic, and they aren't about to vote for a gay guy under any circumstances. And all of the younger black voters are feeling the Bern. :bernget20:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good morning sirs, Total Arab Death

sirs, do not be mean

Feldegast42 posted:

A week ago I was drat about to :toxx: for Biden because I didn't think there was a way that Bernie could overcome him. Its far better to be resolved because we don't know what is going to come next. In 2 weeks we could all be lol'ing at Butt getting 10% in NH and then all Arzying about Tom Steyers epic surge in South Carolina

tulsmentum is at hand, abandon all hope

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hey, if I write a big long effort post about what to look for in this upcoming debate, a debate guide so to speak, would anyone bother to read it?

sure

edit: troop

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1225396220602077184

uh oh

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1224532731775741952

#standwithtulsi

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1223769582336270337

know what, fine

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1223716010953342977

:toot:

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1223217866184388608

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 7, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I would read it and probably also share to my friends (we have debate watch parties)

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Eh. Why not. :justpost:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

How are u posted:

I'm voting for Bernie because he's the President we need.

I'm actually only voting for Bernie because I really want to make terrible jokes about turning the map red while playing The Internationale at confused Republicans.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

Just keep the fires burning, and don't forget to :lmao: every time the DNC trips over their own dick while trying anything they can to stop Bernie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You said the first thing he would do is cancel student debt by executive order, but does the president actually have the power to do that?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

How are u posted:

Not voting for DNC candidates for as long as the DNC takes its present form. Sorry not sorry.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

I think something a lot of us are forgetting is that bernie has been under attack for the past what, 4 months? His campaign should have been ended several times now. The guy had a heart attack!! He won Iowa even with the ratfucking! And hes still basically the front runner. Butt is the latest challenger, and I'm not saying to get complacent, but we can overcome this, just have to buckle down.

Text banking is fun, do it

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

How are u posted:

to defeat trump we must elect a younger, gay trump

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

probably, yeah

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are u posted:

this is bait

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Not voting for DNC candidates for as long as the DNC takes its present form. Sorry not sorry.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I don't give a gently caress about the LGBTQ folks and the PoC who are being oppressed by Trump and his Republicans right now, and I don't care what happens to them in his 2nd term. I also don't give a gently caress about the environment.

Bernie or Bust, let it burn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pick posted:

You said the first thing he would do is cancel student debt by executive order, but does the president actually have the power to do that?

Short answer is, yes. Long answer is that after his chosen Secretary of Education/Treasury(I forget which) works out a series of mathematical equations related to budgets and debt, yes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Full disclosure: a non-christian president is a lifetime endgoal for me. like holy poo poo let's change it up a bit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

Short answer is, yes. Long answer is that after his chosen Secretary of Education/Treasury(I forget which) works out a series of mathematical equations related to budgets and debt, yes.

But that would still only be for the direct federal loans, correct?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

It seems like you edited the second quote. Those aren't my exact words. FYI.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good morning sirs, Total Arab Death

sirs, do not be mean

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Full disclosure: a non-christian president is a lifetime endgoal for me. like holy poo poo let's change it up a bit.

we just had obama and trump though?

i agree that all else equal i'd vote for a nonchristian, it's part of why i'm a big ilhan fan despite some votequibbles and her occasional foot-in-mouth issues

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 7, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Nairbo posted:

Anyone that into their faith that it will steer them towards him will be just as scared away by him being gay. It’s a double edged sword

A little backstory...

South Bend is, of course, a rust-belt city. Its history is closely tied with unions - UAW # 5 and 9 (I think, could have my numbers wrong) are both in South Bend, still extant. Studebaker was there. The area was Catholic as hell, and the blue-dog congresscritters that come from that area tend to be pro-life democrats. South Bend is also, in a sense, a far suburb of Chicago. The South Shore Rail Line, a light-rail commuter line, runs from South Bend to Millennium Park in Chicago, and it's 11 bucks each way. South Bend Politics produced Joe Kernan (a graduate of St. Joe High, a mayor of South Bend, and a governor of Indiana that once had dreams of the Presidency) and Joe Donnelly. And, of course, the University of Notre Dame is right next door to downtown South Bend.

There's been a 'South Bend Democratic Machine' for decades. It's loosely tied to the Rahm/Obama way of thinking (as evidenced by Pete's neoliberal stances). But around the time that Pete was elected - during #Occupy - there was a bit of a revolution in that machine.

Many of the up-and-comers in that Dem Machine were brilliant black locals. There was also all kinds of dirty politics at play. In many of South Bend's black churches, there are pastors that marched with MLK and presently believe homosexuality to be an affront to god. So this gay white kid coming in and becoming mayor got a lot of resistance on that point alone. Early in Pete's first term, the City Council wanted to pass a civil rights protection that includes sexual orientation as a protected status. Notre Dame worked with black churches in the West Side to get the 2nd district to elect a new council member - Henry Davis Jr (a friend of mine) - who would vote /against/ that measure (pushing out a brilliant, well-respective progressive black female academic). It took a few years for the city council to pass that ordinance change. Davis voted against. At one point the statehouse was pushing some anti-lgbt nonsense, and the city council was considering a sternly written letter to the statehouse about how much bullshit that was. The progressive activists flooded the city council meeting, and Davis - being a populist - voted for the letter, 'cause all these hip young politically engaged people were there in person. Afraid of other homophobic people accusing him of being gay (the /worst/ thing, in his eyes), he posted a story to facebook about a man loving dog - and took the time to google up an image of an actual man loving an actual dog to upload with the link. It was quite a scandal, and most people were just confused as gently caress by it, but it was basically Davis saying 'I can hold my nose when it comes to public policy not attacking gay people, but I find the act disgusting to the highest order.'

Then Regina took the 2nd district and Davis is more back-room lately.

(henry davis jr. is not related to and should not be confused with oliver davis, another [much better]] black city council member who is now running for county commissioner if I'm not mistaken)

But, like, this is fine-grain detail and long gone history at this point, and is not meant as a defense of any particular action that Pete has taken.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Again, without the broad social programs of a real Green New Deal any climate change plan will fail. Bloomberg and Buttigieg won't alter the course from Trump in a meaningful way when considering the scale of climate impacts.

That's why they have to be defeated in the primary so we have a chance for this nation to avoid fascism.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We've never had a truly christian president. All 45 of them have been worshippers of Mammon

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I ask this because, for example, Sallie Mae is not a government organization, so I'm trying to figure out what the mechanism is for an executive order there.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pick posted:

Dept of Education is part of the executive branch so there's an argument that yes the president could just go ahead and do that. I have no idea how it would shake out in real life but if I trust anyone to try its Bernie.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That stupid loving presser with Troy Price is still going on in case anyone wants to kill time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok, I'll work on a debate guide with a little bit of background about Iowa just to set the tone.

Note that it is going to be HEAVILY biased for Sanders, but at this point it's impossible not to be.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Office Pig posted:

That stupid loving presser with Troy Price is still going on in case anyone wants to kill time.
What's the gist?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

Dept of Education is part of the executive branch so there's an argument that yes the president could just go ahead and do that. I have no idea how it would shake out in real life but if I trust anyone to try its Bernie.

Right, but see above: many student loans aren't actually held by the government. I can't see how an executive order could cancel student loans that are held by Sallie Mae, for example. I don't know the proportionality's here, but if I recall that's quite a large percentage of them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So the last time I argued the opposite of this, I was reminded there was a rule against that sort of thing. I think it should apply both ways.

Also, "sorry not sorry" is a little less sincere than just writing, "gently caress you."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

What's the gist?

lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pete is a Log Cabin Republican

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Pick posted:

Yes!

quote:

But on Tuesday, Warren announced she would use a little-known shortcut and wouldn't need Congress. As president, she says, she could cancel the debts of tens of millions of student borrowers all on her own.

It turns out, she's probably right.
Under then-President Dwight D. Eisenhower, Congress passed the National Defense Education Act, which poured federal dollars into U.S. colleges and universities — and into students' pockets — all in the name of playing academic catch-up with the Soviets.

Included in the legislation is one tightly packed sentence that says the government's appointed student loan commissioner (there was no education secretary back then) "shall have the power to agree to modifications of agreements or loans made under this title and to compromise, waive, or release any right, title, claim, or demand, however arising or acquired under this title."

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/14/796329598/cancelling-student-debt-is-easier-than-it-sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1225880005353275393