Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
She's just really incapable of telling when she's being scary in either form, probably because of how weird she is in relation to her own genuine displays of emotion.

Tomorrow's update's going to be relatively short, it'll just be the opening to Chapter Six because that's what I've got (though I might stick in the one DLC character scene I couldn't help but trigger because it was super cute).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So wait, whose plan was it to run off with the kids?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Glazius posted:

So wait, whose plan was it to run off with the kids?

Given the all the foreshadowing in the meetings when Abnes wasn't present and the general competency level displayed by the different Seven Sages, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess Anonydeath.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess Anonydeath.

Really, I'm just going to assume that any previous, current, or future success on the Sage's collective or individual part can be tracked by to Anonydeath.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They pretty much explicitly spelled it out in the Chapter 5 intro. It's just that Anonydeath went "Here's my plan" and the dialogue immediately skipped over it to keep the details a mystery.

Feinne posted:

She's just really incapable of telling when she's being scary in either form, probably because of how weird she is in relation to her own genuine displays of emotion.

Well, when you put it that way, I guess it makes more sense/consistency.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, it was Anonydeath's idea, as will come up again at the start of Chapter 6. It was a pretty good plan except for relying on any of the Seven Sages at all to be able to do a thing without ending up in an unwinnable fight with a pain-train of CPUs.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Just catching up (and I haven't watched every video, admittedly), but how are you possibly going through the Mr. Badd fights without prioritizing Plutia's "Verbal Abuse" skill? I remember spamming the hell out of that against him, just on principle. Found out my friend did exactly the same thing. Then we both felt really uncomfortable and never mentioned it again.

(Have you unlocked costume canvas yet? Can't remember when you get that.)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think that's always available, though it's never mentioned much.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Count me in as another not really getting the "skulls" joke. The whole point of the Mitchell and Webb skit is bad guys who think they're the good guys, and slowly realizing they're on the wrong side. Here, you have everyone remarking on the fact that they're traveling with a goddamned psychopath, while at the same time they are stopping literal kidnappers. No matter how twisted or hosed up your party member is, when they're helping to stop people that are stealing children, you're not the bad guys.

(Of course, as poorly as the metaphor fits, I can't really think of any easy references to "Our teammate is the worst person we've ever met, and the only reason we put up with her poo poo is because the people we're fighting are even worse than that.... Maybe Hyde from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? :v:)

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
That scene was... underwhelming, given people's descriptions of it as "the worst scene". I'm probably just kind of jaded given the poo poo that's gone on over** the past week or so, but a superhero fight that doesn't even generate a fatality doesn't register at all.

*This last link should probably be considered :nms:/:nws: for graphic depictions of injured children.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 20, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Just catching up (and I haven't watched every video, admittedly), but how are you possibly going through the Mr. Badd fights without prioritizing Plutia's "Verbal Abuse" skill? I remember spamming the hell out of that against him, just on principle. Found out my friend did exactly the same thing. Then we both felt really uncomfortable and never mentioned it again.

(Have you unlocked costume canvas yet? Can't remember when you get that.)

Is that the empty CPU parts you can buy in shops? I don't know how to use them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Count me in as another not really getting the "skulls" joke. The whole point of the Mitchell and Webb skit is bad guys who think they're the good guys, and slowly realizing they're on the wrong side. Here, you have everyone remarking on the fact that they're traveling with a goddamned psychopath, while at the same time they are stopping literal kidnappers. No matter how twisted or hosed up your party member is, when they're helping to stop people that are stealing children, you're not the bad guys.

(Of course, as poorly as the metaphor fits, I can't really think of any easy references to "Our teammate is the worst person we've ever met, and the only reason we put up with her poo poo is because the people we're fighting are even worse than that.... Maybe Hyde from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? :v:)

Oh you're definitely right.

I think it's just a bit of a jarring scene because in games like this you expect the villain to flee with an "I'll get you next time" and this time when they tried to do it they were beaten within an inch of their life and left a gibbering wreck instead. And not even like in a really funny way, about the only actual joke in the section was the Technical Difficulties splash screen.

I got the DLC scenes for Chapter 6 recorded along with the last couple things we need for the true ending, though I still need to make a Jumping Star so I can get more of the Legendary Seven.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

I think that's always available, though it's never mentioned much.

One of the reasons it's not mentioned much is that it's entirely unnecessary; you can enjoy the entire game without ever setting foot inside the Costume Canvas, and the parts you need to equip are on par with the default processor sets, so anyone playing the game seriously would leave them behind.

Another reason is that, being entirely user-driven, people can abuse the system and mod in :nws: poo poo in the Canvas.

Spergminer posted:

Is that the empty CPU parts you can buy in shops? I don't know how to use them.

Yeah, but you'll also need an image you or someone else made in the PS3 hard drive in order to make full use of the system. I got screens prepped if you want me to explain further, since my chosen demonstration image turns Vert into Ikaruga from Senran Kagura (with, thankfully, no clothes destruction involved).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ozdhaka posted:

One of the reasons it's not mentioned much is that it's entirely unnecessary; you can enjoy the entire game without ever setting foot inside the Costume Canvas, and the parts you need to equip are on par with the default processor sets, so anyone playing the game seriously would leave them behind.

Another reason is that, being entirely user-driven, people can abuse the system and mod in :nws: poo poo in the Canvas.

Yeah, but you'll also need an image you or someone else made in the PS3 hard drive in order to make full use of the system. I got screens prepped if you want me to explain further, since my chosen demonstration image turns Vert into Ikaruga from Senran Kagura (with, thankfully, no clothes destruction involved).

Go for it, I've always been interested in the crazy poo poo you can pull with the Costume Canvas.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ozdhaka posted:

I have a bunch of Peace Walker pictures on my PS3, most of them are from Kaz's secret mission ;-*

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Episode 37: The Plight of Neptune, Motivated

Last time we got the kids back. Today, after an uncertain but short amount of time, we’ll start by checking back in with them.

Uggghhh… Haha…
Looks like one of us ain’t really up for a meeting.
If that psychotic CPU didn’t hold back with me, I would’ve ended up just like her…

What a pity. Copy is broken and Arfie is…well, also broken. We can’t contact Abnes, either…
Sounds like we may have to postpone our little pow-wow.
Your ambiguous plan is the root of all this, weirdo.
Aww, don’t say such things. My plan was meant to kill three birds with a single stone.
Dealing massive damage to each nation, taking hostages, and then if things went well…
Three birds with one stone? It was more like chasing three rabbits and catching none.
I wish the kidnapping succeeded, at the very least. I mean, we couldn’t even keep one kiddie…
Hahahahahaha… Pffffft…
I couldn’t handle making that angelic little girl cry!
I’m…I’m so sorry… I’m so useless, et cetera…
My dear Rei, are you trying ot hide something from me?

It seems Rei is trying to cover up what happened when she had Peashy, whatever that was.

You are acting extremely suspicious.
Is she? She’s always this neurotic to me, chump.
Th-Th-Th-That’s right! I’m always exactly like this!
Hmmm… I just have this feeling…
Ga-thunk!
Huh? A-Abnes!?
drat. The shrill one’s here.
I heard about everything! You stooped to kidnapping!?
Oopsy-daisy, we’re busted.
Um, well, there were certain circumstances forcing our hand…
Like I care about that! Where are the kids you took? Where’d you lock ‘em up!?
They aren’t locked up anywhere. As for the rest of the story…
If you won’t tell me, I’ll let the world know what you’ve done! Then, the Seven Sages will…
Do whatever you want. The world already sees us as an evil organization.
When it comes down to it, we could doctor the information. But it’s annoying and I don’t want to.
Ugh! Fine! I’ll just get it out of you by force!
Knock it off. You can’t possibly stand against us.

So yeah this is Abnes quitting, which since Copypaste got himself extremely exploded well behind enemy lines takes us down to five Sages, and really only four at the moment.

W-With me? You shouldn’t fight your friends…
None of you are my friends!
Gah, enough! I’ll free the kids myself!
Wait, Abnes!
What!? Are you gonna feed me another stuttering excuse!?
I wouldn’t call it an excuse, but know that I’ll always think of you as a comrade.
If that’s your choice, fine! Idiotic woman!
Abnes…
At last, we’re rid of that one. Her shrieking made my ears bleed.
Can we really just let her go?
I see no problem. Maybe it’s a tad rude of me, but that girl can’t do anything.
Gehhhh… Hehehehe…
Let’s call it a day here. Until sweet Arfie is better, we should lay low.
O-Okay…
Agreed. I must devote myself to raising my sweet daughters.
I need to kick back every now and then, too. What’re you gonna do, genderless wonder?
Me? Hmmm…
Huh? Wh-What is it? Why are you staring at me…?
Oh, no reason. Maybe I’ll conduct some personal investigations unrelated to all this.

We’ll find out what he’s up to later. Right now, the CPUs are meeting as well.

No reason at all…!
Even if you hadn’t called us all together, I would’ve come on my own.
Jeez, can you stop with all the emergency summons? I’m really, really busy…
For someone who’s here all the time, I find that hard to believe.
Um, actually, the other day, we were contacted by –our- Histoire…

The situation in the Hyperdimension continues to deteriorate.

A lot of stuff keeps happening, but it’s kinda peaceful. The Seven Sages have been quiet.
Looking after these children doesn’t demand as much time or effort as it did before.
Iffy has become a wonderful girl…! She does eeeverything I tell her to…
Well, she had this one really bad experience, so um…
Ever since that day, I don’t think I’ve heard her act informal around you once.
I see. Things have truly settled down over there.
In that case, why not begin to increase your shares so that you can return home?
Huh? Aw, it’s not like we’re totally ignoring that part! C’mon, Histy…
What’s the situation over there?
Not good. The citizen’s group has made it their primary goal to found a CPU-less nation.
Planeptune, specifically. The other CPUs will mitigate, but the situation is getting worse.
It’s not like I’m doing this for your sakes or anything!
It’s just that if Planeptune falls, it’d affect my nation!
Oh, Noire’s with you right now.
That Noire acts the same as the Noire over here…
I see. Even with Noire there, it’s bad times. Not even the great Popular Heart can help?
Neptune, are you holding some sort of grudge…?
If that’s your attitude, then I’ll just make your followers into my own!
Y-You must not do that! They would never be able to return home if you did!
That is how things stand here. Please do your best. Plutia, please give them your support.
Hmm…

So yeah, we’re about to ask them to help us get shares.

Hmph. So?
Man, you’re colder than ice! You’re dry ice! I mean, you get what we’re saying, don’t you…?
It’s selfish of us, but could we please get help from you all as well?
Not only is it selfish, but you’re asking other CPUs to gather shares for someone else.
I know. How can a nation with three CPUs be hurting for shares so badly?
Th-That’s because, like… Uh, we’ve been thinking of the children, you guys!
Nep was just playing with Peashy the whole time.
Nope! –I- played with –her-!
She ignored me almost completely…
From the mouths of babes.
Neptune’s laziness aside, what were the two of you doing?
I was… Well, I was looking after my sister…
I was looking after Neppy…
Huh? Both of you were keeping tabs on me and stuff? I didn’t expect this alliance!
Well, I wouldn’t mind helping, but…
Vert, you rock! It’s true when they say the size of your heart matches the size of your rack!
…The hell does that mean?
But if I help, that means the day Nepgear returns home will draw ever closer, does it not?
Um, about that…
Knowing that, I cannot support you. But I can’t let Nepgear be in a tough situation…

Noire continues to be Noire, though this chapter's DLC wave features a scene where like most of the cast calls her out on her lovely personality so look forward to that.

Uh, yep. It’s all about sending us back home.
Right…
All:
Aww, come on, everyone… Don’t talk like that… Let’s help the Neppys out!
Plutie…?
Are you fine with this? If they leave, you would be the most lonely of all, would you not?
I will, sure… But… But they need our help, so…
Plutia…
Besides, we should only get sad when the day that they leave comes, so… Um…
I understand. You are looking at this situation very constructively, aren’t you?
If Plutia says so, then there’s no getting around it. I’m just saying.
So basically, “I’m not helping you or anything. It’s all for Plutia’s sake”?
Don’t act like you know my lines! In any event, that’s how things are, so…
Thank you so much, everyone!
I’ll do my very best to help…
Yeah, thanks fellas!

I guess there was a deluxe version of the PS2 or something that this DX Silver is supposed to be?

Before we break here, let’s do one DLC scene that triggered because one always does after the opening event. This one is with Falcom and the kids.

Video Link- “Ice Cream”

Watch

Hmm? IF and Compa again.
Are they on another mission?
Wah… * sniffle *
Compa, you weren’t bad! I was! So stop crying already, jeez!
She’s crying pretty hard.
Hmm…
Neptune doesn’t seem to be following them this time. I can’t let them out of my sight!
Hi you two, what’s going on?
Gah, Falcom! U-Um, Compa’s…
I’m here now, so don’t worry. Just calm down and explain what happened, okay?
O-Okay.
Nep asked us to get ice cream, so Compa and I went to get some.
On our way to the store, I kinda tripped… It really hurted, and I was kinda crying a tiny bit.
Compa used our ice cream money to buy me band-aids, so now we can’t get the delicious ice cream.
I’m sorry, Iffy… I just… I…
I see. So that’s what happened.
Compa, sweetie, you didn’t do anything wrong. There’s no need to cry.
B-But because of me, we won’t be able to complete Nep-Nep’s mission…
She was really excited about eating some ice cream…

This one is of course a sequel to the prior one with the three of them.

Uh-huh…
It’s pretty clear to me that simple errands are to them what adventures are to me.
In that case, I’ll…
No, thank you!
Get bent.
I didn’t understand, but Nep said you can borrow from loan sharks and skip out on the bill, but not friends!
They’re young, so I may have taken them lightly, but these two are diligent and listen quite well.
Hmm… With that in mind…

Got it!
How about we call the band-aids a present from Auntie Falcom?
But…it’s not our birthday…
That’s okay.
IF tripped and scraped her knees, and then I came along to help her out.
But the two of you were on a mission to buy ice cream, so you couldn’t get band-aids.
That’s when the adventurer, Falcom, decided to lend a hand and buy you the band-aids. Okay?
Problem solved, right?
Is that really okay…?
No adventurer could leave a girl crying and in trouble alone.

She came up with a good way to get them to accept her help.

Thank you very much, Miss Falcom!
Th-Thanks!
Any more than this and I’ll be interfering with your mission, so do your best, okay?
All right, I’m off!
Phew, that quest took longer to wrap up than I expected.
I hope the kids were able to complete their errand.
I’m back.
Oh, there you are.
Welcome back.
Hey, from the look of it, you two were able to buy that ice cream.
Yes ma’am, we were able to buy some scrumptious and creamy ice cream.
Good for you.

This is a really cute scene, I like it.

It’s really stinkin’ good, so don’t leave any behind.
For me? Why, thank you, you two.
Oh, Falcom’s back.
Yeah, I just got here.
Aw, I see the kids already gave you some ice cream.
Usually, they both get their own cup of ice cream.
But today, they split one and said the other one was for you. They’ve been waiting for you to come home.
C-Can it, Gear! Don’t tell her!
Ge-Ge, you ruined everything!
H-Huh? You’re getting mad at me for that!?
Jeez Gear, maybe you need to start wearing a helmet…and a bib.
U-Um, I don’t really understand what’s going on right now. Did…something happen?
Well, actually…
CLASSIFIED!
Our missions are top secret!
Hahaha, yeah, I guess it’s a secret between us three, huh?

Next time we’ll be seeing our last few scenes we need to get past the Normal ending, as well as Nepstation.

Next Time on Victory: The Plight of the Key Items, Redux

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Feinne posted:

I guess there was a deluxe version of the PS2 or something that this DX Silver is supposed to be?

Doing a pretty poo poo job at being Black Heart there, Noire. You sure you don't want a name change? I hear Grey Heart is still open. White Heart's taken, though.

Not like she'll ever stop being Lonely Heart, mind you.

Also daww, Falcom. You're good people.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Go for it, I've always been interested in the crazy poo poo you can pull with the Costume Canvas.

Welp. :v:

How to Use the Costume Canvas

Before opening the game, you'll need to make or find an image (JPG or PNG formats preferred) with 1024 x 1024 pixel dimensions, and place it inside the PS3's hard drive. The game doesn't detect anything outside of it.

So, let's go ahead and go into equipping a processor first.

You should see an option called "Costume Canvas" under all the equipped processor parts. To use this fully, however, you'll need to equip the whole set of <BLANK> parts purchased from the shop, which I've done here. Clicking on the "Costume Canvas" option...

...brings us here, where you can see the option to change textures and return the current texture to the default one you're seeing at the moment. Select "Change Texture" and you'll be given this prompt.

Navigate your PS3's image folders to find the texture you plan to use.

After selecting one, you'll get this screen, where you can preview how the character will look in-game and start messing with how much of the actual texture you want to use. If it looks good to you, hit confirm twice. If it doesn't, the Image Select command brings you back to your PS3 folders to find a different texture.

Once you select a texture, go into a fight and have that character transform into HDD.

Enjoy your handiwork.

Or that of someone else's.

Just do us all a favor and keep any :nws: poo poo you find to yourselves, ok?

Because this isn't the Awful Mods thread.

Spergminer posted:

I have a bunch of Peace Walker pictures on my PS3, most of them are from Kaz's secret mission ;-*

Actually, if you want the textures to look good on the character, the textures would need to be pretty specific. If you don't know what I mean, take a look at the texture this tutorial used.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's sad to see our villains fall apart, especially with their best member gone. "But it’s annoying and I don’t want to." sums them up. And Rei didn't even have to pretend to be incompetent and still managed to fail at that.
So 9 days is what it takes for everything to fall apart eh? Correct me if I'm wrong here but if a CPU-less nation is made wouldn't it be some sort of monster-infested hellhole?
So, child-rearing delays the plot in the end eh. Neptune managed to achieve less in twice the amount of time, I think that gets you an award or something.

I'm not sure if it was deluxe or special in any way, but the Silver PS2 was limited edition around these parts and Europe I think?

I think the idea is that this is the Slim version (luckily that doesn't translate into an anorexic Noire).

Y'know, the amount of unvoiced stuff is kinda getting disconcerting. Like, every chapter intro and outro has so much plot relevant talking. Are most of these guys/gals union or something? The apparent reasoning was "We had the same out of voicing, there's just way more scenes", so maybe that's why it feels so disproportionate.
On the other hand, what little we have is nice, what with that DLC scene.

EDIT: That is a surprisingly decent looking skin. I wonder what kind of mech looking things could be made to fit that...

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 20, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I had one of those silver PS2s, but chunky. They weren't deluxe in any way though, only £160 towards the end of the PS2's lifecycle in the UK. Very nice looking, and rather quiet too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

It’s funny because despite the way she acts Noire’s always the first to become all mopey when it seems like Neptune may be going home.
I see what you mean. It's like she usually acts cold, but sometimes she suddenly switches to acting warm instead. That seems to be a common character trait in Japanese pop culture. You'd think there'd be a name for it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

HGH posted:

So 9 days is what it takes for everything to fall apart eh? Correct me if I'm wrong here but if a CPU-less nation is made wouldn't it be some sort of monster-infested hellhole?

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but these are somewhat special circumstances. And yes a CPU-less nation would be a monster infested hellhole where everyone dies screaming. Given what we've seen of Hyperdimension Rei since we left, she's likely moved from being completely ignorant of this to not giving a gently caress about it.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I had one of those silver PS2s, but chunky. They weren't deluxe in any way though, only £160 towards the end of the PS2's lifecycle in the UK. Very nice looking, and rather quiet too.

Cool, as I think of it I do sort of recall the silver PS2 being a thing that happened at one point. It's actually sort of weird that we get this now given that this Chapter's not very long and next time we get the next proper generation for everyone, but whatever.

FractalSandwich posted:

I see what you mean. It's like she usually acts cold, but sometimes she suddenly switches to acting warm instead. That seems to be a common character trait in Japanese pop culture. You'd think there'd be a name for it.

Yeah when you put it that way the caption was super unnecessary. I'm going to do something I normally wouldn't and actually come up with something to say that isn't a lot of words for 'hey Noire's being how Noire's been for three games guys!'

Oh, and on the subject of the Costume Canvas:

I am willing, within reason, to use tasteful Costume Canvas textures provided by the thread.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 20, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Feinne posted:

I am willing, within reason, to use tasteful Costume Canvas textures provided by the thread.

:stonklol: Good luck with that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Costume canvas was a concept that sounded kind of fun until I tried to design a Gundam X skin in mkII. Besides the obvious awkwardness of messing around with a model of a half naked girl in an image editor, it's a huge pain in the rear end to try and get the shading to look right. And then you run into the roadblock of not having an easy preview to see exactly what the hell you're doing and ugh. Just a pain.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Okay, before you all go crazy on adding textures, I need to add an important note, since I didn't try to test it until now:

You can use your other processor parts alongside with it!

It seems the textures only replace what the Core part looks like; the rest of the parts are left unchanged.

So if you don't want to use the <BLANK> processor sets, go ahead and ignore them!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That Falcom scene. :3:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

My PS3 is stuffed with strange-looking images, because I used CC on literally everyone. I recall Plutia spent most of the game dressed as Selvaria Bles, Neptune wore one of those bodysuits from GANTZ, and Nepgear was dressed in various Neon Genesis Evangelion plugsuits until I found a good Samus Aran skin. Vert got dressed as a librarian, because "fetish gear" was the best I could get to "good god woman, put on some clothes!" :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not like she'll ever stop being Lonely Heart, mind you.

Much better than a Broken Heart.

(:v:)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay, yeah, I think I know exactly what happened with Peashy, but I've seen the anime, so that may be a bit cheating, even though the situation is completely different. (Also this Peashy is a million times less obnoxious than the one that shows up in the anime.)

Also that costume canvas thing looks really cool. You can actually make Vert remotely tasteful!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The more I learn about Omega Quintet, the more I regret ever jokingly saying anything vaguely cautiously optimistic about it. An idol-themed RPG, sure. An idol-themed RPG with clothing damage, disappointing. An idol-themed RPG with clothing damage, rated D by the CERO, with a male viewpoint character? gently caress it, I give up. I'm going to be so pissed if that game is any fun to play.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I don't know with that many bad IF choices it's probably going to be the Citizen Kane of gaming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, if this is Gamindustri, Planeptune should end up being CPUless and just export games to the other nations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

The more I learn about Omega Quintet, the more I regret ever jokingly saying anything vaguely cautiously optimistic about it. An idol-themed RPG, sure. An idol-themed RPG with clothing damage, disappointing. An idol-themed RPG with clothing damage, rated D by the CERO, with a male viewpoint character? gently caress it, I give up. I'm going to be so pissed if that game is any fun to play.
Watch it get that rating for suddenly turning incredibly violent halfway through. Unlikely to happen since this is IF but it'd be amusing.
Although it does one thing right though. The main/red character doesn't use a sword. More games need to have blunt weaponry on the party leader. Although I can't argue against drill gauntlets...

Glazius posted:

Well, if this is Gamindustri, Planeptune should end up being CPUless and just export games to the other nations.
It'd be more like the place stopped existing and everyone just moved away really. Squatting at their friends' places most likely.

Feinne posted:

I don't know with that many bad IF choices it's probably going to be the Citizen Kane of gaming.
A critical success that fails to recoup costs and is adored many years later?

AmiYumi posted:

My PS3 is stuffed with strange-looking images, because I used CC on literally everyone. I recall Plutia spent most of the game dressed as Selvaria Bles, Neptune wore one of those bodysuits from GANTZ, and Nepgear was dressed in various Neon Genesis Evangelion plugsuits until I found a good Samus Aran skin. Vert got dressed as a librarian, because "fetish gear" was the best I could get to "good god woman, put on some clothes!" :v:
It'd be interesting to see the Samus skin, but which one are we talking here? The good ol' orange suit?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Drill gauntlets are goofy enough to suggest at least the game won't be acting in earnest, which is important for these hosed up CH/IF things.

I'm getting a start on writing, should have the next update out today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Episode 38: The Plight of the Key Items, Redux

So, there are two more Key Items we need from scenes here in the Basilicom to go past the Normal ending. We’ll be picking them up today.

Hmmm? What is it, Peashy?
My stuffed animal’s leg fell off. Fix it!
Aww, again…? Peashy, you’re soooo rough with your toys.
It’s not my fault, ugh! The stuffed animal is just really weak!
Don’t blame the stuffed animal… Hmm, maybe I need to remake it with a more durable cloth…
No! I want this kind!
Why? It’ll be much prettier if I make a new one…
You’ve fixed this one tons of times, so it’s got a lotta your heart in it and stuff!
Ohhhh, so my heart’s in there?
Uh-huh. Right in here, see?
As usual, P-ko is saying some mysterious and vaguely existential things.
I can kind of understand where she’s coming from, though.
Okey-dokey, then I’ll do my best to fix this one up for you…
Yay! Fix it good!
But if my heart’s in here, please try to take better care of it…
I said it wasn’t my fault! The stuffed animal is just way too weak!

We get a Stuffed Animal for that, one of the two. Before we get the other, we have a scene with Nepgear bemoaning her fate.

What is the matter, Nepgear? That was quite a heavy and dramatic sigh.
Oh, Vert. Well, it’ll serve no purpose to tell you, but…
How cold of you. I would do anything and everything for my cute little sister.
Aww, Vert… Okay. Well, you see, I was the main character in the last game.
Oh? You? …The main character?
Pfft… Ahaha… Hahahahahaha!
What!? Why are you laughing so hard at that!?
B-Because, I just…can’t even imagine you in the leading role. Ahahahaha, it’s so hilarious!
Grrrr! FINE! As I thought, I shouldn’t have said anything.
Ahaha…ha… Sorry. I’ll listen to what you have to say. All right?
…Will you really?
Really. Please gaze into my completely serious eyes.
… * stare *
O-Okay, then… As I was saying, I was the main character in the last game.
Pfft.
Did you laugh again!?
N-No, I suppressed a sneeze. Continue.
I was thinking “goodness, I sure am getting treated poorly this time.” Did I do something wrong?
Hmm, that’s a difficult question to respond to. I’m not sure I have the experience to answer.

As always, Blanc to the rescue.

What the goodness!? Blanc!?
Oh, you were here. What is this syndrome you speak of?
It’s where someone experiences being in the lead role and then faces unreasonable circumstances.
The father passes the role to his son, but then the father steals the spotlight again. That’s it.
I’ve heard of such a tale. If I recall, the young one was nearly dead until the very end.
A-Am I going to suffer the same fate!? Does that mean things are just going to get worse for me?
It’s pretty likely.
To think that such a specific syndrome exists… Who else but Blanc? You know almost everything.
I do not. I just know what I know.
H-Huh? I feel like there was a reference in there somewhere.
But can’t we do something about this? I don’t want to let this continue until the very end!
Just hope for a better role in the sequel.
Th-That…
There, there. It’s all a matter of perspective. This may be the flag indicating you will return.
I…I see! So if I hang in there through this one, I’ll appear in the next one…
Of course, you could just be written out of any future installments entirely, too.

Cold as ice. Anyway, let’s have one more scene where we get a key item that has something to do with Peashy, which isn’t ominous at all.

Huh? What’re you doing, P-ko?
Hey, stop! You can’t see this!
Wh-Why not? Just a peek, okay?
No! You can’t look, Neptuna!
Lame. When you say that, it makes me want to look even more.
Do not interrupt her. She has been hard at work since this morning. ( ⋅ ∀ ⋅ )
Really? Dang. P-ko’s working hard on something? Makes me want to see it really bad!
No means no!
Peashy, can I look…?
You can’t either, Ploot!
Maybe I could…?
Uh, -definitely- not you, Nepgear!
She said –definitely- not me…
I am telling you all to refrain from disturbing her. ( ⋅ ∀ ⋅ ; )
She wouldn’t shoe us, either.
Pea-Pea is being a bum-bum.
She does not intend to be mean. Please give her a little more time. (^ ^)
When you talk like that, it sounds like you know what she’s drawing.

These scenes are all really cute, and the sort of thing I suspect the anime was missing when people are complaining about Peashy in it.

Not cool! I wanna see, too!
And me…!
If you just wait a little bit longer, Peashy will…
* scribble, scribble * There! All done!
You are…? Can we see it now?
Yeah. Here!
Oh, it’s…uh… What is it?
Huh? You don’t know, Neptuna?
This is –us-, Neptune. It is a beautiful picture of us all!
Us, huh? I guess it is! The one in the middle with the purple hair is me, right?
Yeah, yeah!
I’m there, and that’s Neppy Jr., and that’s Iffy, and Compa, and a tiny little Histy, too…
Oh, okay. I was worried the punchline would be that I wasn’t in it or something.
Hmph. If you’re going to draw me, try a little harder.
Don’t be rude. Thank you, Pea-Pea. This makes me very happy.
It’s a lovely drawing… You tried so hard, didn’t you?
Uh-huh. This picture has tons of character, if you catch my drift.
Hehe. You can have it, Neptuna.
Me? Really?
Yup! I’m giving it to you!
I see. Thanks! I’ll toss this bad boy up on the fridge!

So, we can actually go check out these Key Items in the menu. They’ve got cool pictures even.

Now for Nepstation to end the update. As always, the news is first.

The great sisters of Leanbox who love each other very much will present today’s top stories!
C-Could you please stop that?
Hmhmhmm. Your reaction is so cute that I can’t help myself.
Let us continue.
Okay. Vert, the first item, if you please.
I have quite the scoop today.

This next news item works because it’s so loving terribly plausible that IF/CH would include poo poo like this in their game.

Huh? Rock…Paper…Strippers…?
Yes. Rock, Paper, Strippers.
There is a mode in this very game you are playing where you can access Rock, Paper, Strippers.
Your opponent is Nepgear, and every time you win, she will peel off, layer by layer, her…
Wh-What!? I never heard anything about this!
If you had, it wouldn’t be much of a cheat. We are currently investigating how to unlock it.
As soon as we figure it out, we will let her eager fans know.
N-No, you mustn’t ever let anyone know!
All right, Nepgear. Please read the next item.

She’s just dropped it out of boredom but from the art I like to envision Compa poked herself in the eye with the phone.

The other day, another kidnapping incident occurred in Planeptune.
To prevent further incidents, all children are now equipped with a cell phone.
That’s a decent idea, but can children even –use- cell phones?
Um, one of three children learned how to use it fully.
The second child grew bored of it, and the third child broke it in a matter of hours.
That’s how it goes. Now for today’s final item.
To apologize for the hacking incident, Lastation is going to distribute free games.
Lastation, which has recently recovered from a hacking attack that affected the entire nation, has begun to offer some of its games for free as a way to apologize.
That’s a nice idea. How like Noire!
However, the games are of suspect quality or fail to make followers feel like they’re getting a deal.
The populace is not quite pleased with everything.
I-Is that so…? That sense of entitlement is also very much like Noire…
That is all for today. Please look forward to next time.
Vert! Vert…!
Oh! Wh-What is it? Why the frantic face?
Please read this. Now!
Read what…? Ahh! What is this!?
What is it? Tell me, too…
We have a rather disappointing update to a news story.

I guess it’s good that IF/CH can joke about their terrible poo poo?

A lie… So that minigame doesn’t exist…!
Yes. How unfortunate.
N-No, it’s very fortunate! Phewwwww… Thank goodness…
We deeply apologize for reporting unverified rumors.
In the future, we will be vigilant not to repeat the same mistake.
Um, I need to apologize, too! I’m sorry!
Apologizing is fine, but…
I shall take responsibility for this and engage in a real game of Rock, Paper, Strippers with Nepgear!
Okay. A real game of… WHAT!? Wh-What’re you saying!?
That wraps things up for today. We will let you know the results of our match next time.
No way! There’s absolutely no way this will happen!

Now for Walletcrusher Nep.

With our exhilarating lineup, you’ll be on the road to bankruptcy in no time flat!
I’ll be presenting the wonderful products with you today.

Anyway, here’s today’s product! Ta-da! Dogoo-shaped meat buns! They’re called Plump Dogoos!

A chilling product indeed this time.

Don’t think too hard about it. I was like, “Jeez, Noire sure pops up a lot in these things.”
That’s not true. This is only my second time, isn’t it?
Uh, whatever. Okay, deep breath…
These have dogoo faces on them for you to crush and rip, but yuck. I prefer smushing and poking.
R-Right.
Huh?

Um, Noire?
Hrrmmmm…
(Th-These…are really cute…)
Noire? Social Skills to Lonely Hear, come in!
…No! I could never eat something so adorable!
Yuck, so you’ve finally sunk this low… Trying to act like a cute girl after all this time!?
N-No, that’s not it at all!
I mean, in battle, you slice these things apart like you’re gonna spread their gooey bums on toast!
But that’s battle and they’re attacking us! This one’s just sitting here, staring at you…
Um, well this is just food. Okay, if that’s how you’re gonna play it, then…

Oh Neptune.

H-Hey, don’t say it like that!
And then I do…this! Scoop out its innards, leave in those pouty eyes, and dump ketchup all over it!
Ugh… Well, I can’t eat that just because it’s gross.
Huh? Don’t get so stiff and serious over this. Is it really that gross to you?
Hmm. Maybe this is kinda gross.
System Message: The production staff all enjoyed their Plum Dogoo meat buns after this broadcast.
Oh, I forgot about the item set!
Eat these to restore your HP and boost your INT.
Enjoy!
Thanks for your patronage!

And now for the quiz to end the update.

It’s the quiz show that isn’t getting stale in the least bit! It’s our fifth episode, yay!
Um…yippee…
I know, but we can’t stop right in the middle. We’ll bust this out until the end, by force if we gotta!
Um…yippee…
C’mon, Plutie, get it together. Let’s go. First question.

This chapter has pretty easy ones.

Dingle-ee-doo!

There are a couple of hard ones still left in the game, just not this round.

Dingle-ee-doo!

Anyway next time we’ll be on DLC scenes.

Dingle-ee-doo!
That’s it, everyone. This is a pretty easy pattern to get into. So is the quiz itself, huh?
Um…yippee…
Plutie’s petulant apathy is growing. I wonder when she’ll snap… I kinda wanna keep going to find out.
Wooooooo-hooooooo…
She’s not going to snap just yet, so that’s’ it for now! Later!
…Laaaaaaater…

Most of them are sequels to prior ones, which is kind of cool. See you then!

Next Time on Victory: The Plight of a Mystery Robot

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Considering the Dragonball Syndrome continued with the son being absolutely unimportant in both non-canon and canon sequels, I can only imagine that Nepgear will have nearly no role whatsoever in V II.

Also did something happen with the stuffed animal? It has no description other than "stuffed animal". Feels like they were meant to write something and forgot.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering the Dragonball Syndrome continued with the son being absolutely unimportant in both non-canon and canon sequels, I can only imagine that Nepgear will have nearly no role whatsoever in V II.

Also did something happen with the stuffed animal? It has no description other than "stuffed animal". Feels like they were meant to write something and forgot.

It's just being consistent with a bunch of other Stuffed Animals we've gotten invisibly for the rest of the cast that are down past the Medals and all also only have the description "Stuffed Animal".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Blanc's reference that Nepgear comments on is a favorite line of Tsubasa Hanekawa from Bakemonogatari, who is voiced by Yui Horie, Nepgear's VA.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Yeah, the anime plays up a lot more of Peashy's terrible brattiness, and she's a mostly unbearable little poo poo in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Feinne posted:

Dingle-ee-doo!
It should be pointed out that this noise is, by far, the loudest thing in the game. Jarringly so.

HGH posted:

It'd be interesting to see the Samus skin, but which one are we talking here? The good ol' orange suit?
I'll have to do some file transferring and check, but be honest with yourself: when the costumes are all made by obsessive japanese Neptunia fans, what kind of ratio of "Power Suit Samus" to "Zero Suit Samus" are you expecting?

• Locked thread