Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Twiddy posted:

Oh my god let's go back to the basics, this entire thing started because you couldn't follow some visual story telling cues for what was going on. The entire avalon thing was not a fault of this adaptation, it's because you failed to follow what was there. This isn't a problem of loving wikipedias, this is a problem of your reading comprehension.

By visual cues, it's really just one, lasting for about a second, in an episode that was released half a year ago. But my problem is less with that and more with the idea that my issues are resolved in other routes. I shouldn't have to read the VN to understand the UBW anime. The anime should exist on its own, and have the necessary information in a clear format without relying on knowledge of source material if it is an adaptation.

Twiddy posted:

Why don't you think about why the light novel does that? Actually, screw that, here's the answer. The novel doesn't justify dumb decisions, it justifies bold decisions. More specifically, it follows role playing a character who literally does not think about his survival because he thinks his life is worthless due to extreme survivor's guilt (a person you are calling stupid) and is working all the time to save others. This is the character you're supposed to be. More specifically, you just completely cherry picked that part of the point and ignored that you repeatedly ignore story structure and charactertization to the point that you've repeatedly gotten things wrong and made incorrect evaluations.

I get that part of Shriou's characterization, but it still doesn't change the fact that it still comes off as irritating and enforced by narrative rather than something happening organically. I almost feel this story would work a lot better without all the super heroic figures and was more strictly realistic, ala Oyasumi Punpun.

Twiddy posted:

This is what is called back-pedaling. It is what you do when you start realizing you're wrong in an argument and try to redeem it.

My argument is entirely consistent here. Gilgamesh is a demigod and does get somewhat serious when he needs to (killing Heracles), but since he's a demigod he really doesn't need to bother worrying about the rest. Shirou and Rin do not have that luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You are talking all kinds of poo poo about a thing you haven't played and in fact refuse to even try.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Lord Justice posted:

I consider Urobuchi to be one of the best writers of the early 21st Century

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don't know how so much can be written by people in this thread for the silly VN Fate/Stay Night.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

I don't know how so much can be written by people in this thread for the silly VN Fate/Stay Night.
talking and thinking about things is cool

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

talking and thinking about things is cool

So my teachers kept telling me but I never believed them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

it's epic as hell, and i like posting

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I like the show and my favourite part of this thread is coming in here and bashing Rin by calling her a trash tier waifu.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
In a good adaptation you shouldn't have to refer to a wiki, or play the VN, in my opinion. Because this is not the VN. This is the anime. I can't imagine anyone in any other sort of adaption saying that you should just read the wiki if your confused. I mean I guess if their intent was to just add some cool fight scenes to the VN for fans of the VN, whatever, but I don't think it was.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Surprisingly Dope posted:

In a good adaptation you shouldn't have to refer to a wiki, or play the VN, in my opinion. Because this is not the VN. This is the anime. I can't imagine anyone in any other sort of adaption saying that you should just read the wiki if your confused. I mean I guess if their intent was to just add some cool fight scenes to the VN for fans of the VN, whatever, but I don't think it was.

I think there are a couple of different goals an adaptation can have. It can aim to work as a standalone piece of media, or it can be an attempt to expand an existing work into another medium, but still require knowledge of the initial work to appreciate. There's nothing inherently wrong with either type of adaptation; obviously some people will like more one than the other, but there's a pretty distinct line between "I don't like this kind of thing" and "this kind of thing isn't actually a kind of thing but rather a failure to achieve [other kind of thing]".

Also

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Some of the advertising ("iOS: Fate; TV anime: UBW; Movie: HF") suggested to me that you're not supposed to have played the whole VN, but you're supposed to have played the Fate route. They still did make attempts to make things understandable to people who haven't played Fate, though; the explanation of Avalon wasn't originally in UBW, for example.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 25, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like Urobuchi but yeah

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Counter point: Game of Thrones. People don't even remember most of the characters names.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Justice why do you think you have the answers on how to make the adaptation 100x better and how they should just combine all the routes when by your own admission you know nothing outside fate/zero and this adaptation of UBW. How does that make any logical sense at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Lord Justice why do you think you have the answers on how to make the adaptation 100x better and how they should just combine all the routes when by your own admission you know nothing outside fate/zero and this adaptation of UBW. How does that make any logical sense at all
he took a one credit writing course at his community college, fucker. don't mess with him! he knows what 'death of the author' means!

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Rodyle posted:

You are talking all kinds of poo poo about a thing you haven't played and in fact refuse to even try.

I've really only ever talked about the anime when discussing the problems with the narrative, my experience with the VN is non-existent so I can't comment on that specifically. I only bring it up in relation to its influence on the anime itself, such as Shirou's decision making.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I never claimed to know exactly how such an adaptation could be accomplished. Rather, my point is trying to adapt F/SN as it is doesn't work very well due to the aforementioned problem with the routes working together. I've been told repeatedly that answers and development lie in other routes, and that suggests to me that a complete rewrite (not just combining the routes) of F/SN for an anime adaptation would better, so that information and development is put together properly in a complete narrative.

As for my comment on Urobuchi, let me qualify that a bit. Urobuchi is one of the best writers of the early 21st Century when writing in his element, I.E, what we see with F/Z and Madoka. His writing tends to suffer when he writes outside of that (Gargantia, Expelled from Paradise).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Please read a real book if you think Urobuchi is an amazing author. This is not me trying to own you, this is an honest suggestion.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Please read a real book if you think Urobuchi is an amazing author. This is not me trying to own you, this is an honest suggestion.

I don't really agree with the philosophy that books are inherently superior to anime as an artistic medium. They have their merits, but so does anime, and I don't feel a book is ever going to come close to Madoka in terms of quality, of which Urobuchi's writing was an integral component. I also feel an author and writer to be different in this context, you don't write an anime script in the same way you write a book. Essentially, you can't really compare the two, beyond subjective measures of quality.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lord Justice posted:

As for my comment on Urobuchi, let me qualify that a bit. Urobuchi is one of the best writers of the early 21st Century when writing in his element, I.E, what we see with F/Z and Madoka. His writing tends to suffer when he writes outside of that (Gargantia, Expelled from Paradise).

Not trying to be dick here (even though it's my MO) but you should expand your horizons a bit and read some honest to god literature. Find one of those 100 books to read before you die lists and pick a book that sounds interesting.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lord Justice posted:

I don't really agree with the philosophy that books are inherently superior to anime as an artistic medium. They have their merits, but so does anime, and I don't feel a book is ever going to come close to Madoka in terms of quality, of which Urobuchi's writing was an integral component. I also feel an author and writer to be different in this context, you don't write an anime script in the same way you write a book. Essentially, you can't really compare the two, beyond subjective measures of quality.

Yikes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think there are inherently superior mediums, but there are countless literary authors better than urobuchi

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Raenir Salazar posted:

Counter point: Game of Thrones. People don't even remember most of the characters names.

True I suppose but they make it work because I still know many people that haven't read the books and watch it casually. Otherwise it wouldn't be as successful and widespread as it is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked this episode and Shiro pulling the sword out of the ground as if he's opening his way into hell was the loving bomb.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

littleorv posted:

I like the show and my favourite part of this thread is coming in here and bashing Rin by calling her a trash tier waifu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think there are inherently superior mediums, but there are countless literary authors better than urobuchi

there are also countless anime authors better than urobuchi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and i love urobuchi

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

urobuchi may in fact have been the trash tier waifu all along

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

there are also countless anime authors better than urobuchi

Mind naming some?

This isn't me trying to gotcha, it's just that I think discussions about good writers are neat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kinoko Nasu
Riichiro Inagaki
Hirohiko Araki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind naming some?

This isn't me trying to gotcha, it's just that I think discussions about good writers are neat.
chiaki j. konaka has done a lot of cool stuff

rip satoshi kon

sayo yamamoto's only gotten to Anime Auteur a couple of things but both of them are really good

yoshiyuki tomino's only been on point like, twice in his whole life, but when he's on point holy poo poo is he on point

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ryohgo Narita

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Ryohgo Narita

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daisuke Ishiwatari

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Beef Waifu posted:

Daisuke Ishiwatari

That doesn't sound like Toshimichi Mori.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like this show and I don't care if other people hate parts of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

BlitzBlast posted:

That doesn't sound like Toshimichi Mori.

coming out of lurking to emptyquote this. well ok, bye.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

-Troika- posted:

What if we hate all of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Then you're probably not really watching it in the first place.

• Locked thread