Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

causticBeet posted:

We had one last night and a handful of people slotted couldn’t even log in, and it seems like if you miss the initial load in you’re basically screwed. The whole “out of 300 sign ups, 50 people will be slotted” mechanic really sucks too - I was slotted for the 2 days before the war but moved out at the last minute without any notification so they could get a higher level player in. Really cool for the games defining feature to be likely unobtainable for most players!

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, they're fun, but I have to laugh whenever big faction companies make insane requirements to have Discord, be a certain level, have duels to determine order, etc.

Over the past year or so in testing, there didn't seem to be any appreciable difference between having comms or not, what level players came in, etc. We tried everything from crazy elite comms strats to just having some newbies join and have them run the ammo/cannons so they could participate and test. Most wars the strats inevitably just became "Build/destroy repeaters and choose a door." It's heavily weighted towards the defense, which is something we'd been giving feedback on for a long time and AG has never really managed to fix despite some tweaking of spawn timers and locations for attackers. If the defense could hold the points until the 15-minute marker, they usually won. If attackers got to the doors, any crazy comms strats just didn't really work and everything became a mass of brute-force AoEs on the flag.

I can understand why some faction "leaders" are super into wanting comms or tryouts or whatever because that's the game Amazon marketed. The reality is that the devs just weren't creative enough to make that kind of game. The wars are essentially just a prettier version of WoW's Wintergrasp and probably somehow even less involved. If anything, the people trying to be grand tacticians or whatever tended to do worse because they were overthinking everything.

I'll be curious how things shake out a month from now when wars are happening a couple times a day, fewer new players are coming in, and organizing everything just gets to be too much work for the rewards you get. Even on the ridiculously closed test servers, we had some wars that weren't even full because players just couldn't be assed to join after awhile. I joined a full marauder group for a war once and our competition ended up being 15 Covenant dudes. Literally only 15 wanted to do it.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, they're fun, but I have to laugh whenever big faction companies make insane requirements to have Discord, be a certain level, have duels to determine order, etc.

Over the past year or so in testing, there didn't seem to be any appreciable difference between having comms or not, what level players came in, etc. We tried everything from crazy elite comms strats to just having some newbies join and have them run the ammo/cannons so they could participate and test. Most wars the strats inevitably just became "Build/destroy repeaters and choose a door." It's heavily weighted towards the defense, which is something we'd been giving feedback on for a long time and AG has never really managed to fix despite some tweaking of spawn timers and locations for attackers. If the defense could hold the points until the 15-minute marker, they usually won. If attackers got to the doors, any crazy comms strats just didn't really work and everything became a mass of brute-force AoEs on the flag.

I can understand why some faction "leaders" are super into wanting comms or tryouts or whatever because that's the game Amazon marketed. The reality is that the devs just weren't creative enough to make that kind of game. The wars are essentially just a prettier version of WoW's Wintergrasp and probably somehow even less involved. If anything, the people trying to be grand tacticians or whatever tended to do worse because they were overthinking everything.

I'll be curious how things shake out a month from now when wars are happening a couple times a day, fewer new players are coming in, and organizing everything just gets to be too much work for the rewards you get. Even on the ridiculously closed test servers, we had some wars that weren't even full because players just couldn't be assed to join after awhile. I joined a full marauder group for a war once and our competition ended up being 15 Covenant dudes. Literally only 15 wanted to do it.

The players are ALREADY making restrictions?? The game just came out days ago. This is going to be so much fun to watch. I think I'm going to buy an account.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Earlier today I grouped up with another couple covenant randos and ran the pvp mission quests. Ran into a marauder group (who are the biggest on our server) and had a few fights. Liking my life staff/hatchet build, might try the frost gauntlet/life staff soon but worry I’ll be way too squishy

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

IAmKale posted:

Ah, this loving chestnut of a rumor just will not die. None of this is true, I own and operate GDNBot all by myself and TT has no say in how it operates.

Here, I wrote this for people like you who still believe those lies:

Pass it around: https://goondiscordnetwork.com/about

Or just check out the official GDN thread, I try to keep the community aware of the bot's evolution over time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911147

Or just go audit the bot yourself, the source code is entirely in the open so you can see the bot has never done anything but handle !authme and GDN-related stuff: https://github.com/MasterKale/gdnbot2

I really, really wish people would stop associating my work with TT, it's been a passion project of mine for years and I hate how much poo poo gets dumped on it because TT can't help be an insufferable troll whose persona got stuck in the 2000's.

I'm sorry what now? This kinda looks like TT and... Taylor Swift... to Gasp... Bully someone? It's yours though right?

Edit, have some god drat sensitivity after loving someone posts what they did and you come swooping in with "HURP DERP PRE HASHED loving RESPONSE ON WHY MY BOT IS SAFE GUYS ITS TOTALLY SAFE NOTHING TO SEE HERE"

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 4, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is there like a thread you can move this to? Or actually QCS? The dude needs perma'd obviously but I don't see New World thread being the place to continue this

He's a piece of poo poo, I just don't think it'll get the attention here

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Like Rev posted:

I'm sorry what now? This kinda looks like TT and... Taylor Swift... to Gasp... Bully someone? It's yours though right?

Edit, have some god drat sensitivity after loving someone posts what they did and you come swooping in with "HURP DERP PRE HASHED loving RESPONSE ON WHY MY BOT IS SAFE GUYS ITS TOTALLY SAFE NOTHING TO SEE HERE"

Why do people keep thinking my passion project is a spy bot when the guy i give admin privs to says this

- kale

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Dear TT, why do you still have LITERAL NAZI Der Verrater on your server, with a special title and role.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Oh look a literal BMW/WTT member

I'd like to get an answer on this rather than see it buried, if this is a true allegation.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Deviant posted:

I'd like to get an answer on this rather than see it buried, if this is a true allegation.

I can post some poo poo if you want but I'm LEGIT trying to hold stuff back to A.) not enrage a mod. B.) not eat a probe/ban myself and C.) let the mod i've PM'd do their thing. Deviant, we've known each other a long rear end time, its true.

Barreft posted:

Is there like a thread you can move this to? Or actually QCS? The dude needs perma'd obviously but I don't see New World thread being the place to continue this

He's a piece of poo poo, I just don't think it'll get the attention here

I'd love to but it would just get drowned out in QCS too. At this point he's pulled this poo poo for literal years so someone SOMEWHERE is covering for him cause nothing else loving explains it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You can just PM Deviant, too, Rev.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Deviant posted:

Der Verrater was an active member of that group of doxxers/white supremacists yes. I (and Rev) have the logs.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Is tcjimbo still around? This guy seems like he would be great friends with him

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Make a thread in QCS and PM all the mods and admins.

I don't know the guy but this is obviously a problem. Way more than Larry.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dead Like Rev posted:

I'd love to but it would just get drowned out in QCS too. At this point he's pulled this poo poo for literal years so someone SOMEWHERE is covering for him cause nothing else loving explains it.

There is nothing going on in QCS right now to drown it out. The worst that could happen is that it gets ignored in QCS (or you're told to let the MMO mods deal with it which is functionally the same thing). I feel like this goes beyond general "Discord Drama" since it's tied so closely to the GDN bot which is actively being used to harass and stalk forum members. Kind of like a Meta-SA Forums problem. You don't have to go all hell-dump (though gathering all your logs and proof in one place might help), just make it clear this is a Forums Problem due to how closely the GDN is tied in to everything.

TT isn't a mod so there's a chance something might actually be done about their lovely behavior too lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

So this has been going on for over a decade with the same person and everyone was just like 'uhh yeah *looks the other way*'?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Barreft posted:

So this has been going on for over a decade with the same person and everyone was just like 'uhh yeah *looks the other way*'?

Did you ever hear the story of bob from marketing because yes, the looking the other way does happen

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

Did you ever hear the story of bob from marketing because yes, the looking the other way does happen

Well yeah, I def ain't making the post. I don't know him. If anyone else is too cowardly whatever. Just seems someone would have said something after 10 years that'd cause any action at all lol. guess thats on the admins/mods

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Thread and game owns lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

2DCAT posted:

TT used to spam his spyware discord links in literally every thread ever and I think that after years of people blindly clicking on links, they assumed this was some sort of legit goon guild

This website fascinates me

I'm sure he'll still be here in 5 years doing the same thing

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I called out the spam PMs and got told by a mod to remove the post. I had several threads and got one PM for each thread except for one that got several.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Barreft posted:

This website fascinates me

I'm sure he'll still be here in 5 years doing the same thing

Gotta keep the new regs coming. Jeffrey gotta eat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Made it all the way to the soaring high level of 23.

Unfortunately for the longevity of the game, I have already reached peak fashion and can no longer ever upgrade my hat or chest armor.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
TT was in the OG atlas goon group back in the day and jfc he was an insufferable dumb mother fucker there and it was a very happy day when he was finally removed from leadership. It's also super loving funny to hear that he's bros with actual loving nazis like the JFG eve loser kimsumus and the like.

But on another note this game isfun so far, any auzzie goons running around?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jaegerx posted:

Gotta keep the new regs coming. Jeffrey gotta eat.

Saying stupid poo poo is always fun. But allowing someone who's scamming goons to just go whatever and still be here? weird.

Just don't say you want them to choke on a bone I guess?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Anyway was just reacting cause it seems crazy, I'll let it go

y'all should just do something about him, he may shoot up a place or something

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
In more innocent TT days, I remember when he was kicked from guild as while everyone else was engaged in a massive GvG tettitory battle, he was melting down because no one was helping him scam some dumb low level person out of newb gear (because lol goons!!!)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This game actually reminds me of Darkfall, just with a PVP switch.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Thread was a solid 3 (like the game) but now the thread is a solid 5 (the game is still a 3)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The rebalancing of equipment types just before launch was loving stupid. There's no reason not to go heavy armor at this point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My previously empty server now has a 2 hour wait time, which means that the first major war that was just done was an utter catastrophe because no players were able to actually log in. It ended up being like a 20v20 fight.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

My previously empty server now has a 2 hour wait time, which means that the first major war that was just done was an utter catastrophe because no players were able to actually log in. It ended up being like a 20v20 fight.

Same engine as Star Citizen baby!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It is 2021. I should not be spending 30 minutes on a 5 minute quest because the developers of <new mmo> were too stupid to fix the "not enough interactables spawn when too many people are in a quest area" thing that has plagued mmos since 1999.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Except star citizen has instancing as they can only have 50 people max per server. So it is really weird amazon didn't get that code back for here...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just imagine how much worse it would be if they increased the number of players on a server

and then they did

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Hi all, catching up on this thread now. I picked the wrong weekend to go to a COVID wedding! Please PM me with any additional details you'd like to share about harassment you've faced or issues occurring off-site that might be relevant here. Thank you to those of you who have already PMed and emailed me. Let's try to get this thread back on track while I address these issues.

To clarify the rules here about importing Discord "drama", I don't want it to seem like I'm in favor of protecting or deflecting attention away from shitheads. I don't want to enable shitheads here, and I have no personal connection to this. I'm taking these issues up with the admins directly, and the several other mods who post ITT have also reached out to me about it. I know not everyone has had stellar experiences with mods handling offsite issues before so I want to clarify my stance on this and what I'm doing.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

fast cars loose anus posted:

It is 2021. I should not be spending 30 minutes on a 5 minute quest because the developers of <new mmo> were too stupid to fix the "not enough interactables spawn when too many people are in a quest area" thing that has plagued mmos since 1999.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, the opposite of this happens in the cathedral in south west brightwood where people gather to farm an elite mob that spawns instantaneously if enough people are around, people farm it for a chance of a purple gun drop as well as levelling weapon skills. It's hilariously stupid that it's either one thing or the other, no middle ground.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Edit: removing this due to the post above.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zotix posted:

The rebalancing of equipment types just before launch was loving stupid. There's no reason not to go heavy armor at this point.

At first I thought the only meaningful difference was going to be the dodge roll distance. After some fights in the open world I can say that is very much not the case. In heavy armor, I have even odds against another person in heavy armor within maybe 5 levels of me, but I consistently obliterate people 10+ levels above me in light armors. If I hadn't built hammer/axe specifically for the CC they'd be able to escape easily enough, which is something I suppose. But if you don't have some foolproof way to kite and do ranged damage armor mitigation is king.

That said, I don't think that it's too high on heavy armors. Ranged attacks do hurt plenty when they land. I think that something more along the lines of buffing light armor mobility somehow would be more valuable than nerfing heavy armor mitigation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, they rebalanced armor types? I didn't see that in the patch notes.

I've been going life staff/hatchet (though I'm considering trying warhammer) and using the commonly-suggested medium chest, light everything else. Should I be switching over to full heavy? I certainly don't mind going full paladin mode with heavy armor and a life staff + hammer.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Kill All Cops posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, the opposite of this happens in the cathedral in south west brightwood where people gather to farm an elite mob that spawns instantaneously if enough people are around, people farm it for a chance of a purple gun drop as well as levelling weapon skills. It's hilariously stupid that it's either one thing or the other, no middle ground.

Yeah, at least with mobs I can get that this is a possibility and therefore some limit has to happen but in my case it was barrels to interact with and its like dude just let them instantly respawn its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m trying to find a good healer build that shows you the talents to select in order so you’re not completely useless. Anyone got one that’s working for them? I was thinking life staff + hatchet.