Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neat, I might wait for the final patch and then slam that poo poo on my xstation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pretty good posted:

Wow I grabbed the previous abandoned translation literally yesterday, time to immediately chuck it and check out this new thing

And uhhhh lol at the person in that thread who says they're with a group that's gonna drop another patch sometime later this week. Something in the water.

Yeah, those other folks were working on one semi-publicly for a while, and then this one dropped out of nowhere. They put out what they had on their version last night as well, since they were at the point of just needing to edit subs for the demo video if you let the title screen sit or something, and were like a few days off releasing anyway. Details are over here for that:

https://twitter.com/CirosanCB/status/1377104374808281093

As far as I know, this one linked here should be better technically at least, as they've solved a few technical issues that prior patches (including the first one from yesterday supposedly) had, such as text files being limited to maximum upper size. That one in particular is what caused the random crashes on other patches even.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna wait for a final patch but def gonna check it out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

finally...

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5851/

quote:

EightBound Regal is an ‘remaster’ of the original Final Fantasy / EarthBound crossover hack by Poliynm and Mareeta. Regal was created in response to complaints about the game being ‘too difficult’.

Regal aims to offer a ‘brand new’ way to experience the classic EightBound story! New features of EightBound include:

- Cheat protection has been removed

- Significantly lowered encounter rates

- A faster adventure that doesn’t waste more of your oh-so precious time

Polinym wishes to apologies to all the pain he’s caused players of the original EightBound. He hopes that this hack will allow you to live in a world without strife that you deserve. You don’t need to strive for greatness. Play EightBound Regal, then you won’t need to suffer for anything anymore.

Holy god this guy's head is a mile up his own rear end.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

magikid posted:

The readme even has a snipe at a person who released a patch to remove the cheat protection.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don’t understand the significance of quoting the final boss’s song lyrics from persona 5 royal.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What a petulant child

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
this is the rom scene drama i've missed for so long

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

magikid posted:

lol i just looked at some 2004 kefka/cefka discussions on some ancient messageboard earlier and it was exactly this tone of voice

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Echophonic posted:

This fires up with WebMan Mod on a PS3, if anyone was curious. It's aggressively dithered, so the kind of mediocre smoothing is helpful.

Oh, awesome. I was thinking about trying to run it through Popstarter on my PS2 tonight since I've been really into that lately.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Echophonic posted:

The readme even has a snipe at a person who released a patch to remove the cheat protection.

I'm famous!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Oh, awesome. I was thinking about trying to run it through Popstarter on my PS2 tonight since I've been really into that lately.

Trip report in case it'll be of use to anyone later: Mizzurna Falls blackscreened for me, right after the opening credits when you start a new game, multiple times when I mounted it through webMAN MOD on the PS3 (I'm on HFW and using HEN). However, it seems to be running just fine with Popstarter (the PS1 emulator for OPL on the PS2). Admittedly, I didn't get very far into my test, so I can't guarantee it will remain stable.

I did get as far as petting the dog, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Im_Special posted:

I'm famous!

:hfive:

Trip report in case it'll be of use to anyone later: Mizzurna Falls blackscreened for me, right after the opening credits when you start a new game, multiple times when I mounted it through webMAN MOD on the PS3 (I'm on HFW and using HEN). However, it seems to be running just fine with Popstarter (the PS1 emulator for OPL on the PS2). Admittedly, I didn't get very far into my test, so I can't guarantee it will remain stable.

Yeah, I'm having an issue with Cirosan's on PS3, but Owl's seems to work fine.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How do the two patches differ content-wise? The kotaku coverage mentions Cirosan's script got a professional localisation pass, but I'm gonna stick with the Owl one for the time being if it's more stable.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think Cirosan's is supposed to flow better and have a few bugfixes, which is why I was trying to get it to work. I just tried repatching and checking my MD5s and it doesn't work in either PS3_emu or netemu for me.

Also, the netemu setting is SO much better than emu for the PS3. Looks like it deinterlaces, so it scales nicer and dials down the insane dither a lot of games have. The smoothing option in it is a lot less aggressive, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 3, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I put both on my RG280V - owl's didn't boot at all and crashed the emulator, Cirosan's got past the intro and then froze.

I'll probably just put it on my Vita instead :v:

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know for owl's patch on RHDN's personal projects section, they do mention emulation being a pain for this:

"A note on emulators:" posted:

I've tested the game (both translated and untranslated) in a few different emulators, and the only emulator I've found that doesn't cause game-breaking problems is XEBRA (http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/).
NO$PSX has performance issues and doesn't render the minimap, as well as periodically locking the controls for some reason.
EPSXE doesn't render text correctly among other problems, and while Mednafen/Beetle/BizHawk works for the most part, after having the game running for a while, a glitch almost always occurs where parts of the world aren't loaded, and the game crashes shortly after.
I can't speak to whether or not the patch works on real hardware, but this is something I hope to test during the beta period.

In terms of content, I've played neither on this end here yet so I can't say anything definitively, but it sounds like owl's patch is ResidentEvie's script with a few cuts in places while Cirosan's underwent further editing to trim some out. This looks to be because both teams used different ways to try and work around the file size problems that stopped earlier attempts, though they may be trying to consolidate to do something about that now or something per other tweets. Also, the fonts used are different.

Echophonic posted:

Also, the netemu setting is SO much better than emu for the PS3. Looks like it deinterlaces, so it scales nicer and dials down the insane dither a lot of games have. The smoothing option in it is a lot less aggressive, too.

As an aside, I was never really able to figure the emu/netemu stuff out on my end. Is there anything in particular you're using to toggle between those that's not overly a pain to use?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Arc Impulse posted:

I know for owl's patch on RHDN's personal projects section, they do mention emulation being a pain for this:

In terms of content, I've played neither on this end here yet so I can't say anything definitively, but it sounds like owl's patch is ResidentEvie's script with a few cuts in places while Cirosan's underwent further editing to trim some out. This looks to be because both teams used different ways to try and work around the file size problems that stopped earlier attempts, though they may be trying to consolidate to do something about that now or something per other tweets. Also, the fonts used are different.

As an aside, I was never really able to figure the emu/netemu stuff out on my end. Is there anything in particular you're using to toggle between those that's not overly a pain to use?

I'm using WebMan Mod with HEN on mine and it's just a setting as part of the top option block about where to scan for files. Next to PSXISO, there's a checkbox for netemu.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is there a good resource on how to softmod the PS3? I never modded it before now and with the PSN store going away I'm no longer all that concerned about accidentally getting banned or something.

As for Mizzurna Falls, I'm going to attempt to burn a disc and play it on my PSX this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out on "the real thing."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
MrMario2011's channel has a ton of nice guides for how to do all sorts of PS3 hacking related stuff.

You basically start by figuring out your minimum firmware version it'll take. That determines whether you can do CFW or hybrid firmware with HEN. He has videos for both.

I know HEN is braindead simple, since mine was too new to do CFW. It's put HFW update on USB stick, try updating from USB, then in recovery mode (once if it worked in XMB, twice if not). Then you just hit up ps3xploit.net in your PS3's browser and install HEN. Then you can install multiman and webman mod and you're golden.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Seconding the MrMario2011 videos. Between them and the resources on the PSX-Place forums, you cannot go wrong.

The few times I've posted questions to PSX-Place, I've gotten quick and helpful answers, often from developers.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So far I've been unable to get either patch to work for Mizzurna Falls. The checksums match for their bin files, I'm just having all sorts of problems trying to burn them to CD-R. It might have something to do with the fact I bought this spindle of blank CD-Rs around 2006.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, they probably ain't good anymore.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My psOne using TonyHax hitch s on the fmvs while playing mizzurna falls by owl. Not sure why.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow this game is extremely punishing with missing events huh...its insanely impressive but if you miss a event you have to restart?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

How good is a Retrode 2 at ripping genesis carts? I've got a game that could be an undumped prototype. I just don't have the tools to do it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Genesis is one of the ones that it supports natively, so it's probably fine. Only thing I've had it not work on is GBA saves, but it'll do roms just fine with the latest firmware.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

How good is a Retrode 2 at ripping genesis carts? I've got a game that could be an undumped prototype. I just don't have the tools to do it.

If you can't, I can probably put you in touch with people who can.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

What game is it a prototype of?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tomato is back and given us the definitive retranslation of Final Fantasy IV:

(on a serious note he's actually working on the super cool FF6-T translation right now)

Also I don't know if this will actually turn into anything but hot drat, what a great idea:

https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios/status/1380656530442321925

Ballz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 10, 2021

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Thats exactly what MVG used to dump a prototype last week.

https://youtu.be/CqTuPterSUo

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I dig the Namco logo on top. Looks great.

I didn't want to take pics of the front of the board. Just looking made me nervous, but I saw 4 of those big eeproms with that lil window on it, where UV light erases the data.

Splatterhouse 2. I'm assuming it might be a review copy and not a prototype, cause I did a playthrough and everything seems identical to the retail copy.

Despite that, there could be tiny differences in code or anything, and as a huge SH fan I definitively want to get this rom out there to everyone. I'll likely get a Retrode 2 and do it myself.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

From a cursory glance it looks like a normal enough cart that the Retrode shouldn't have an issue with it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh huh, i didn't even know that retrodes were being made again, good to know.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Are they? I thought they've been out of production for a while and the forums have been on hiatus for, uh, quite a while.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Are they? I thought they've been out of production for a while and the forums have been on hiatus for, uh, quite a while.

well maybe they're out again, last i paid attention years ago there wasn't a retrode 2, i just saw a listing on stone age gamers with reviews from yesterday but now that i look again it's not actually available to buy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If you get one and want the newest firmware, let me know. If you decide you want to deal with the risk of shipping and having someone else rip it, I can help out.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Echophonic posted:

If you get one and want the newest firmware, let me know. If you decide you want to deal with the risk of shipping and having someone else rip it, I can help out.

I actually just bought a retrode 2 off ebay. I'll post here when it arrives. Thanks.

Also, can I treat this cart just like its a regular one? Like can I play and store it as I would any cart?

I'm new to console prototypes, never had one in my hands before.

Atomic Robo-Kid fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Ok, got the Retrode 2 today. I dumped a couple games, including Splatterhouse 2 retail and the prototype version.

1. If the rom loads up and plays, can I assume it's a good dump? I tested each rom dump on a mega everdrive x7, everything loaded up fine.

2. How would I be able to tell if the prototype is any different? I loaded both SH2 roms in an online hex viewer. The text was the same for both.

3. Any significance to the extra numbers and letters after each rom dumped from retrode? Both SH2 copies are titled Splatterhouse2.81ED

Original SH2

Prototype SH2

I hope there's more to discover, cause drat it's a big bummer if this prototype is not one, and just a review copy.