Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that got me is that everyone knew Julianne Moore was real and they would have figured out what was going on in 2 seconds. Although maybe the parents knew the son killed her and were covering it up? Who knows, who cares. Bad movie.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Nothing holds up under scrutiny.

The disappointing thing is that all the plot elements are there for a decent movie, but they couldn't connect the two parts. (Plot spoilers for Woman in the Window): A major part of the plot is that she can't find evidence of the original "Jane", because the woman she assumes is Jane actually isn't. It would be compelling if we were led to believe the options were between: one -- some weird conspiracy to replace Jane and only Amy Adams knows the truth; or two -- that Amy Adams is actually losing touch with reality. But instead every character just says "no, this is Jane, you never met her before" but the audience knows that Amy Adams is telling the truth. The script never makes us doubt that she's seeing things as they are, so it's frustrating when it's just "why is everyone lying to her?" instead of the psychological thriller it should be. The handyman/tenant whatever he was served no purpose; if they needed a character to not tell her anything important and also make a bunch of noises in places they shouldn't be in, they already had the cat.

A case of mistaken identity causing a woman to report a murder when the victim simultaneously doesn't exist and is alive but appears to be a different person, combined with a well-off guy covering up for his son's murderous impulses could be a good movie, but this isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just started Halt and Catch Fire, about early 1980s computers/tech. Has Lee Pace and Scoot McNairy in it. In Australia it’s on Binge/Foxtel, I have no idea where you’d find it anywhere else in the world but its an AMC production if that helps

I’m 3 episodes in for a 3 season watch, and so far its pretty good. Mackenzie Davis’ character is starting to give me the shits though.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

toggle posted:

I’ve just started Halt and Catch Fire, about early 1980s computers/tech. Has Lee Pace and Scoot McNairy in it. In Australia it’s on Binge/Foxtel, I have no idea where you’d find it anywhere else in the world but its an AMC production if that helps

I’m 3 episodes in for a 3 season watch, and so far its pretty good. Mackenzie Davis’ character is starting to give me the shits though.

Halt and Catch Fire quickly became one of my favorite shows of all time. I binged through it over Christmas/New Years, then immediately dove in for a rewatch (and now I’m at the end of season 3 on my third go). It has some of the best character development I’ve ever seen, and that’s all I’ll say. Enjoy the ride!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Halt & Catch Fire is fantastic, just stick with it.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

toggle posted:

It's available on Netflix in Canada and it's 4 seasons unless you plan on skipping 1.

It's a pretty strong character drama with an interesting setting.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah nice, its got me hooked after 3 episodes so far. Funny to see the smug character (Lee Pace) get his ideas constantly get shat on. Looking forward to watching it all!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Halt & Catch Fire is fantastic, just stick with it.

Yeah it's insanely good

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ayup, H&CF is one of the best shows ever.

For All Mankind scratches the same itch for me, in terms of strong characters.

I need to get around to watching Mad Men to see how it compares.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have 2 more episodes to go on season 2 of For All of Mankind, and so far it is my favorite show of 2021.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 21, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Netflix recommended this show for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_44FFKZ1M

2 episodes in and it's pretty great, despite how dumb the leads are. Not sure how many of you are familiar with Gantz, but it reminds of that mixed with Battle Royale vibes mixed with the Purge mixed with Saw...lmao.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

teagone posted:

Netflix recommended this show for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_44FFKZ1M

2 episodes in and it's pretty great, despite how dumb the leads are. Not sure how many of you are familiar with Gantz, but it reminds of that mixed with Battle Royale vibes mixed with the Purge mixed with Saw...lmao.

Super great show, glad it got renewed for S2!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched Cyrus on Hulu and thought it was really good. Great performances from the whole cast. It's very much peak 2010 Duplass brothers, but that is my jam personally. It's funny because it's a movie that by all means I should have heard of but I hadn't so I clicked on it thinking it was some goofball comedy (the premise is John C Riley and Marissa Tomei start dating, but she has an unhealthy close relationship with her weird son played by Jonah Hill) but it's really not at all. It's more a sweet drama with some funny parts. it never really takes the low road even with Hill's character. Just an all around solid movie to watch if you want to be in a good mood.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Tenet is a movie that seems like one I should be into because the story is so bonkers but it's so full of long scenes of exposition that I was really bored through most of it.

It reminds me a little bit of The Matrix sequels where many of the action sequences feel like they don't matter because of the nature of the story. So not a great combo where the exposition drags on and the bits that should be exciting feel unnecessary or inconsequential.

Could be I'm just too dense to "get it" but this movie doesn't feel entertaining enough to rewatch to the point of understanding and enjoyment.

It did give this bit of unintentional comedy:

"And if that happens?"

"Everyone and everything that ever lived, destroyed instantly"

"... Including my son"

Hahaha. Yep, your son would be included in "everyone and everything".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This video hits a lot harder after I watched Tenet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2FXfFeRtJo

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think Tenet is deliberately weird in some ways because it's trying to convey the sense that the causality of the events doesn't quite make sense from the perspective of the protagonist. Like there are points in the beginning where it seems like he's going to get someone to do something, but when he arrives there it seems almost like he's actually there to help them instead, and I think this is one reason the dialog seems so confusing, because the characters aren't necessarily completely on the same page about what's happening.

I felt confused a bunch of times when watching it but if you just keep watching it will make mostly make sense again.

Also, unlike something like Primer it doesn't feel like a movie that's designed so you need to go back and think about it again to understand the "real" version of all the events you already saw, so it's completely possible to just accept that it's weird and ignore that while you watch it without worrying about the details, although if you still don't enjoy it then just don't bother I guess.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 21, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was really hoping he was becoming more restrained after Dunkirk but nope. I tapped out on Tenent after about 45 minutes. it was just boring me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Halt and Catch Fire felt like the definition of mediocrity, corny cliched writing, and faux-prestige to me and I love Lee Pace. I was pushing myself to get through it but I just couldn't.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Halt and Catch Fire felt like the definition of mediocrity, corny cliched writing, and faux-prestige to me and I love Lee Pace. I was pushing myself to get through it but I just couldn't.

How far in did you make it?

I always kind of hate when people tell me to just keep watching because it gets good later, but its absolutely the case for Halt and Catch Fire. I'd say most of the first season (up until, say, COMDEX?) is pretty much exactly as you described.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fancy stats posted:

How far in did you make it?

I always kind of hate when people tell me to just keep watching because it gets good later, but its absolutely the case for Halt and Catch Fire. I'd say most of the first season (up until, say, COMDEX?) is pretty much exactly as you described.
Ah, no wonder, i was pretty confused by all the high praise. i never managed to break through the first season, def didn't get as far as that. Maybe I'll give it another go.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I like the first season of H&CF, but to call it faux-prestige is spot on. That said it does come truly prestige once it decides what it truly wants to be. Man I miss that show.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I was kinda the same. I caught the first episode on a recommendation from a friend a couple years ago and bounced off it. I still had it in my queue and started it up again this past winter.

The first half of season one is definitely going for a Mad Men in the 80s kinda thing, but changes course to be its own thing later. I guess where exactly is up for debate but for me it’s when Boz calls all the code monkeys into his office to get help with Adventure that I was sold.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it but doesn’t it shift the subject of the story pretty hard for each season too? Like only the first season is about the PC company per se, but we still follow the same characters through the whole show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My only real complaint with Halt and Catch Fire is that the same 3 or 4 people are basically responsible for literally everything when it comes to the internet (to put it simply). The same people invent MMO’s, eBay, virtual chat rooms, online services like AOL, early internet search engines, antivirus programs, the list goes on .

Other than that I liked it well enough.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what to think of Shadow in the Cloud on Hulu. It has some genuine thrills, but the dumb low parts are really dumb, and the music choices and most of the special effects are just baffling. There are characters you don't see for 90% of the runtime, so when you finally do see them it's hard to place who's who... but Chloe Grace Moretz was great, and the action was plenty of fun. It's mostly a fun B-movie, and I think it didn't get more attention because Max Landis was involved at one point.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Worst part of TENET is that it completely wasted Martin Donovan, who is a legit great actor

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Simone Magus posted:

Worst part of TENET is that it completely wasted Martin Donovan, who is a legit great actor

This made me google that actor, which led me to an article that revealed to me that John David Washington is DENZEL's SON?! Can't believe I didn't put that together before. I do think that Washington was one of the weaker parts of the movie, definitely doesn't have his dad's charisma yet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The third of HBO Max's four planned Adventure Time movies, this one called Together Again, is up. It's actually about Finn and Jake this time!! (I haven't watched it yet)

Dunno how many fans of AT actually read this thread, but I think a lot of people completely lost track of the fact that these were even getting made so I figure it's nice to get updated.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Simone Magus posted:

Dat true. Donovan is awesome in particular roles.

I've been busy catching up on past prestige TV. Narcos Mexico is very watchable but a slightly palid imitator of the original. It just doesn't seem as well thought through, leans a bit too heavily on clichés. Conversely, I keep waiting for Giri / Haji to tip fully into Orientalism or have the white characters take over and it hasn't. It's basically a Japanese detective show that's set in London.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

nonathlon posted:

Conversely, I keep waiting for Giri / Haji to tip fully into Orientalism or have the white characters take over and it hasn't. It's basically a Japanese detective show that's set in London.

Let us know what you think of the last episode...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nate fisher posted:

I like the first season of H&CF, but to call it faux-prestige is spot on. That said it does come truly prestige once it decides what it truly wants to be. Man I miss that show.

I dont if shows are getting sloppier with it, or I'm just noticing it more, but it feels like faux prestige could be is own genre lately. Like they're just running through a checklist of what they're supposed to have. Like Mare of Eastwood felt super forced and unearned when the main character goes into her Emmy clip soliloquy early in the second episode.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Halt and Catch Fire never seemed like a show you have to push through to enjoy, probably because I was already in to the initial premise. The jumps between seasons were unexpected but natural. I don’t think it was too far fetched to see these early pioneers fragmenting into influential companies and visioneers. The reality of the tech industry was very much like that with a handful of names present in almost everything.

If some alien scientists dig us up in the far future I would be pretty comfortable with H&CF representing the tech industry from the late 70s to early 90s. I bet they’d cry during the finale too (if they can push through the compaq plot line of course).

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Finished up Travelers and goddamn that was one hell of a show, totally stuck the landing for me, too. Just pulpy, over the top nonstop stakes-raising to an insane degree and I swear I cracked up laughing at least a couple times per ep either because of the insanity/absurdity or sudden brutal events or the one character who largely exists as comic relief and succeeds, just a super fun series. Prestige it is not but the budget worked perfectly, tons of practical fx & cool props with decent cgi for the Cool Stuff. Absolutely loved it.

Just started H&CF and I'm diggin' it too, killer loving soundtrack

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Modok has too much robot chicken dna

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Junkie Disease posted:

Modok has too much robot chicken dna

I was worried about that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Martman posted:

The third of HBO Max's four planned Adventure Time movies, this one called Together Again, is up. It's actually about Finn and Jake this time!! (I haven't watched it yet)

Dunno how many fans of AT actually read this thread, but I think a lot of people completely lost track of the fact that these were even getting made so I figure it's nice to get updated.

It’s worth watching if you like AT, but it was the weakest of the 3 in my opinion. It’s also a poor final episode, when compared with the actual finale of the show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wow, Army of the Dead is a really hard to pay attention watch. Characters are paper thin, dialogue is atrocious, writing as a whole stilted and unimaginative, and it has this weird cinematography tick of hyperfocusing on the center screen and blurring out like I've developed sudden cataracts.

It takes them 45 minutes to encounter a zombie after the intro titles and you feel every single one of those minutes. Michael Bay did it better, I actually liked meeting the characters in Armageddon.

I don't think anyone in this movie has more than a paragraph of dialogue before they move to another scene.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The depth of field is atrocious

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RCarr posted:

It’s worth watching if you like AT, but it was the weakest of the 3 in my opinion. It’s also a poor final episode, when compared with the actual finale of the show.
Yeah I mean, I absolutely love AT and also these movies are pure fan-service. I would not recommend them as a first entry haha.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Shageletic posted:

Wow, Army of the Dead is a really hard to pay attention watch. Characters are paper thin, dialogue is atrocious, writing as a whole stilted and unimaginative, and it has this weird cinematography tick of hyperfocusing on the center screen and blurring out like I've developed sudden cataracts.

It takes them 45 minutes to encounter a zombie after the intro titles and you feel every single one of those minutes. Michael Bay did it better, I actually liked meeting the characters in Armageddon.

I don't think anyone in this movie has more than a paragraph of dialogue before they move to another scene.

How many "Dead" movies have you seen? There's rarely a whole lot for development or backstory.

Probably didn't need to be 2.5 hours long....but I thought it was pretty badass. Exactly what I expected from a big budget, Zack Snyder 'Dead' movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Army had...a lot of things that didn’t need to be there. It’s also a weird mixup of a heist movie, which should be fun and a non-horror zombie movie, which should also be fun, but it’s just depressing.