Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
All of the brothers are good characters. You are far enough along I won't spoil that Hull Beddict is basically the male lead of a romance novel. And also dancing with wolves.

Tehol is practically a homage to Pratchett and it works more often than it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Tehol and Bugg and their whole storyline were easily my favorite sections of the books they appeared in. Maybe not my favorite characters of the whole series, but a joy to read, especially when juxtaposed to some of the heavier and more brutal things.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Tehol and Bugg are such an overtly comedic pair that it could easily backfire if it didn't work. Erikson nails it though, in my opinion. Their dialogues are some of my favourite.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

pik_d posted:

Nah, I'm reading in English, why?

Shurq manipulating Ublala into the distraction is [I]better[/] than being passed around in bed, the issue is that she's already been shown to have an equal sexual appetite to multiple women. Maybe Ublala will appreciate that it's just her, but I do not see Shurq look at him as anything but a thing to use (both in her thievery and in bed).

Also you used Discord markdown for the spoiler text.

poo poo, sorry for the spoiler thing

RE: Language, you used different spelling for some names. Totally understandable since there are thousands of names and a lot of them are weird but I like learning about differences in different translations so I was just curious about if it was like the german translation changed it, so I wanted to ask.

Ublala is basically a child in a giant's body and my main gripe with the entire series tbh. I love him but the way he's handled is super gross.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Tehol and Bugg are such an overtly comedic pair that it could easily backfire if it didn't work. Erikson nails it though, in my opinion. Their dialogues are some of my favourite.

Some of the funniest poo poo in the entire series, IMHO.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Man with Hat posted:

poo poo, sorry for the spoiler thing

RE: Language, you used different spelling for some names. Totally understandable since there are thousands of names and a lot of them are weird but I like learning about differences in different translations so I was just curious about if it was like the german translation changed it, so I wanted to ask.

Ublala is basically a child in a giant's body and my main gripe with the entire series tbh. I love him but the way he's handled is super gross.

Oh, the three brothers, when I think about them, I don't use their names. I think of them as Sword Beddict, Swindler Beddict, and Strider Beddict. So when I have to type out their name I don't necessarily remember it unless I check (which I didn't)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I have finished Midnight Tides, time for me to butcher some more names

Firstly, I really think this is my favorite book of the five I've read so far. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it gripped me the whole way through. I love and hate all these beautiful dumbasses.

The only thing that let me down was I expected it to go right up to the point where Trull was kicked out of the family in that one prologue flashback. There's a gap in time now, and I'm curious both how wide it is, and who specifically the Pure Kin are that Trull spoke of. The Tiste Andii? Probably not the Letherii at this point.

I was pretty sure Mael was going to show up in the story, but I figured it was the demon that traveled with the ships since it was actually in the sea. Bugg being Mael makes more sense though. Also, I love Bugg.

Kettle did finally get her necessary adult, in Selekis, who I am pretty sure is Silchas Ruin based on the names sounding similar and both being Tiste Andii, and Silchas being albino and Selekis having white skin.

I am really looking forward to the continued adventures of everyone who ended up on Shurq's boat, that's quite the company. Iron Bars is pretty OP though, able to fight off 3-5 Toblakai, and he's not even the best? Pretty cool dude though, I hope Seren and Fear ended up with them too, though I think Fear eventually ends up back under Rhulad's thumb. Just a hunch though.

Udinaas, I'm glad he's free of possession, and might be free overall at this point. Feather Witch seemed close to accepting him, more so than Sandalath and Withal at least. I did enjoy Withal ruining the Crippled God's tent as a closing passage of the book, especially with Bugg/Mael planning to beat the Crippled God senseless.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Obligatory "if you like Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard, don't read the Esslemont books" warning.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

anilEhilated posted:

Obligatory "if you like Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard, don't read the Esslemont books" warning.

It's not about who's right and who's wrong, or even whose decisions you agree with, but it's about who is your favorite war criminal.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Esslemont might be the worst war criminal of the lot, in that whenever he writes about war it makes his readers fall asleep

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

pik_d posted:

it's about who is your favorite war criminal.

Kallor.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm a Dessimbelackis guy, give me some sweet animal powers.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

pik_d posted:

I have finished Midnight Tides, time for me to butcher some more names

[spoiler]Firstly, I really think this is my favorite book of the five I've read so far. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it gripped me the whole way through. I love and hate all these beautiful dumbasses.

I felt the same way about Midnight Tides the first time I read it and it still might be my favorite depending on when you ask me. Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice were hugely epic books that both benefited from inheriting its own half of Gardens' original cast with their own story momentum from the first book. Midnight Tides seems like a book that should have anti-momentum, as it is a prequel story set before GotM featuring entirely new characters in a disconnected setting. Instead, by starting from scratch again Erikson shows off how far his storytelling skills have come since Gardens, so that you very quickly forget about those other books... at least until the end, when Erikson's big world has been zoomed out even more. Next level stuff.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I felt the same way about Midnight Tides the first time I read it and it still might be my favorite depending on when you ask me. Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice were hugely epic books that both benefited from inheriting its own half of Gardens' original cast with their own story momentum from the first book. Midnight Tides seems like a book that should have anti-momentum, as it is a prequel story set before GotM featuring entirely new characters in a disconnected setting. Instead, by starting from scratch again Erikson shows off how far his storytelling skills have come since Gardens, so that you very quickly forget about those other books... at least until the end, when Erikson's big world has been zoomed out even more. Next level stuff.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he told his editor "yeah book 5 I just throw away the entire setting and character cast of hundreds and go entirely new"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kallor is a wonderful character. He's monstrous and pitiful and clownish, and somehow those three things don't counteract each other.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Bonehunters Books 1&2/Chapters 1-11

This books seems like it's really going places, though I'm not yet confident I know where they are. The battle of Y'Ghatan early on was quite a big set piece that killed a ton of people but mostly seems to have served to get certain people together? I do love it when characters meet up, so having Apsalar meet Kalam/Ben/Stormy and then those guys meet the tunnel crawling group was really nice after they went through hell.

The book is definitely leading to a Convergence on the shore across from Sepik Island. The above group is heading there, Karsa and Samar Dev are heading there, though I have no idea why Samar Dev is still following him.

Icarium and Taralack Veed (gently caress this guy for lying to Icarium) are heading there, so I hope Mappo is also heading there. The whole Nameless Ones plot is weird, with the release of Dejim who was introduced as possibly a big bad yet has taken losses to Mappo (Ok, fair, he owns) and Iskaral Pust who normally only hurts peoples brains by having his internal dialogue out loud. Either way Dejim sucks and Paran thinking he needs the Deragoth to kill them feels like overkill.

But... Heboric, Crokus, Scillara, and maybe Felisin just randomly dying in the middle of a quest to a bunch of surprise T'lan Imass? That was really hosed up. I know, I KNOW, that death isn't really final in these books, but it was just so out of nowhere and is such a weird thing to seemingly kill some long-time protagonists. And also weird to make Scillara pregnant then kill her. Even if she "survives" in the story I'm less sure that her unborn child will? I am sure that all/most of them will play a part in the story going forward, and I don't even think I saw Felisin actually die so I'm unsure what her fate is. Completely brutal scene either way, I need to know what happens with them more than any other plotline.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Look, sometimes an author just needs to write some folks out. But answers to all of those questions are coming, some even in that very book. Also what makes you think Scillara would live and the baby would die? If I remember that part correctly she is pretty far along. Samar Dev swears up and down that she is following Karsa to satisfy her curiosity as a witch of science.

For my personal journey, don't read these spoilers, edit seriously book 10:

Reading book 10 I'd make a joke about hell freezing over but Hood isn't around to do it. I thought the T'lan Imass's ill timed resurrection was funny enough and then the Jaghut agree to fight alongside them. Its teetering at the edge of being too much of a convergence. But its stayed on the right of that so far. Plus or minus a certain cattle hound/pup duo.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Do you think Icarium could make a device so complex even he couldn't wild out and destroy it