Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

They've fixed it, for small values of 'fixed':

Grindrfreude:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/antigay-michigan-pastor-outed-by-grindr-messages/

quote:

Matthew Makela, formerly an associate pastor at St. John’s Lutheran Church and School in Michigan, has an online history with numerous Facebook postings and op-eds railing against homosexuality. “I love people who have same sex attraction, and so does God. The proof is in the sacrifice He made for all of us who sin,” he once wrote in an online comment. “We don’t tell a person born with tendencies to abuse alcohol to keep on giving in to his innate desires because he can’t help it. We try to help him in his struggle.”

So basically, not a fan of homosexuality. Or was he?

A tipster sent Queerty a cache of screenshots from Grindr, showing his chats with a very Grindr-fluent Makela. In them, the pastor sends photos of himself in bed, as well as his desire to “mess around with a bicurious guy” and his preferred bedroom activities. He also mentioned that he had a girlfriend and two children (he has a wife and five children, none of whom were aware of his activities).

The images eventually forced Makela to resign, and he told Queerty that the images were indeed authentic, but declined to comment further. Meanwhile, the church took down its Facebook page and told its congregants to not read the story, because that’s the quickest way of making a dude not gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Phanatic posted:

They've fixed it, for small values of 'fixed':

Still brings me to the white house.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, but apparently Harry Shearer (voices many big characters from the show) is being a baby back bitch about wanting in on some sweet merchandise cuts (I think you missed that boat by a decade or two, my friend) so he is walking away from a 14 million dollar renewal deal. I think his replacement has just been found, and I can guarantee he'd sign on for a hell of a lot less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1SFqYD9ZPg

Edit: Of course I know his voice isn't going to match perfectly, but a vast majority wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Ragequit has a new favorite as of 15:10 on May 20, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ragequit posted:

I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, but apparently Harry Shearer (voices many big characters from the show) is being a baby back bitch about wanting in on some sweet merchandise cuts (I think you missed that boat by a decade or two, my friend) so he is walking away from a 14 million dollar renewal deal. I think his replacement has just been found, and I can guarantee he'd sign on for a hell of a lot less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1SFqYD9ZPg

Edit: Of course I know his voice isn't going to match perfectly, but a vast majority wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I applaud Harry for taking a stand. He is a self professed "turd in the punch bowl" and is one of the reasons that the voice actors on the show make millions dollars in the first place. If it was up to the producers they'd all still be making scale. He has dug in his heel before and it has paid off, but who knows, maybe with the Simpsons being so old they just won't care and find a sound alike to replace him.

E: The 2010 Howard Stern interview where he first drops the "turd in the punch bowl" phrase.

Indolent Bastard has a new favorite as of 15:23 on May 20, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point I don't know if he cares. A quick search tells me he has been paid $300,000 an episode for a couple of decades now and has a net worth of over $65 million.

When you're worth a bloody fortune, I find it impossible to care about your attempts to grab yet more cash. If he gets it, good for him. But I certainly won't lose sleep over his unemployment.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

I applaud Harry for taking a stand. He is a self professed "turd in the punch bowl" and is one of the bigger reasons that the voice actors on the show make millions dollars in the first place. If it was up to the producers they'd all still be making scale. He has dug in his heel before and it has paid off, but who knows, maybe with the Simpsons being so old they just won't care and find a sound alike to replace him.

E: The 2010 Howard Stern interview where he first drops the "turd in the punch bowl" phrase.

Taking a stand is good - he's actually happy with the money offer. I just think wanting in on Simpsons merchandise in 2015 is hilarious. Are people still buying Simpsons merchandise?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ragequit posted:

Taking a stand is good - he's actually happy with the money offer. I just think wanting in on Simpsons merchandise in 2015 is hilarious. Are people still buying Simpsons merchandise?

Simpsons Lego would point to yes. Also I have no clue about international sales.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Gorilla Salad posted:

At this point I don't know if he cares. A quick search tells me he has been paid $300,000 an episode for a couple of decades now and has a net worth of over $65 million.

When you're worth a bloody fortune, I find it impossible to care about your attempts to grab yet more cash. If he gets it, good for him. But I certainly won't lose sleep over his unemployment.
It sounded like he wanted freedom to do other projects, not more money.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Meh, they're at a point now where they can probably just splice together voice clips from past episodes to say virtually any sentence in the English language anyways. I want to be upset by this news, but I really can't.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The last time the Simpsons were relevant to me was about 1992.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Harry Shearer is a prolific actor and comedian. Even if he does leave or get the boot, he's still incredibly well off. His long run on The Simpsons is (I'm assuming) something other voice actors can only dream of, even if it stops now.

I'm not getting the Schadenfreuty here.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

Harry Shearer is a prolific actor and comedian. Even if he does leave or get the boot, he's still incredibly well off. His long run on The Simpsons is (I'm assuming) something other voice actors can only dream of, even if it stops now.

I'm not getting the Schadenfreuty here.

The freuts to me was having the deal breaker be wanting merchandise revenue, which has to be insignificant in 2015 because of the age of the brand and his already enormous wealth. He is now most likely going to be replaced.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I guess.

But people get forced into retirement all the time, right? :shrug:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

poo poo, being worth 65 million dollars, I can't imagine why any human being would need forcing, but I guess greed is greed.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Mogomra posted:

I guess.

But people get forced into retirement all the time, right? :shrug:

I'll force YOU into retirement, motherfucker

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

This is just becoming old hat now.

http://gawker.com/antigay-pastor-seems-pretty-into-gay-sex-judging-by-hi-1705625323

Still funny though.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thump! posted:

poo poo, being worth 65 million dollars, I can't imagine why any human being would need forcing, but I guess greed is greed.

I'm confused who the greedy one is?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Actor negotiating his deal, news at 11.

PS That voice actor video wasn't even good.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
To avoid a derail, here is why you should wear proper shoes, even if sometimes "they aren't as pretty":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzEalzjQQuU

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Choco1980 posted:

Meh, they're at a point now where they can probably just splice together voice clips from past episodes to say virtually any sentence in the English language anyways. I want to be upset by this news, but I really can't.
Simpsons did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

BerkerkLurk has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 20, 2015

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BerkerkLurk posted:

Simpson's did it.

Fun fact: the "Simpsons Already Did It" episode of South Park is from 2002. Both shows are still on the air, thirteen years later.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Ragequit posted:

The freuts to me was having the deal breaker be wanting merchandise revenue, which has to be insignificant in 2015 because of the age of the brand and his already enormous wealth. He is now most likely going to be replaced.

You know there's a (recently expanded!) Simpsons theme park attraction, right? Universal pulls in probably 150-200,000 a day on Simpsons merchandise alone, not counting food or ticketing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

codespace posted:

You know there's a (recently expanded!) Simpsons theme park attraction, right? Universal pulls in probably 150-200,000 a day on Simpsons merchandise alone, not counting food or ticketing.

Nope, had no idea. That makes the request more reasonable I guess, but come on man, you are 70+ years old with 70+ millions of dollars - do you really need all the extra money.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ragequit posted:

Nope, had no idea. That makes the request more reasonable I guess, but come on man, you are 70+ years old with 70+ millions of dollars - do you really need all the extra money.

The company is making bank off his work, he's got a right to request a cut.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ragequit posted:

To avoid a derail, here is why you should wear proper shoes, even if sometimes "they aren't as pretty":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzEalzjQQuU

She walks like she has cinder blocks attached to her feet.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Also, Simpsons is still huge overseas, at least based on how excited certain groups of tourists get when they see Simpsons merch at the parks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The company is making bank off his work, he's got a right to request a cut.

Because this happens in any other industry

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's his plea for them to cancel the show before he dies. Because man, it's probably time. For the show to have a final episode, that is. Not time for him to die.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Maybe he's doing it to try and make it more standard for other voice actors that don't have the same pull in negotiations as him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Azhais posted:

Because this happens in any other industry

it should, IMO, but we're getting way off topic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
FWIW the reason Ned Flanders has a dead wife is that the actress who did her voice work was paid so little, that when they moved the voice recording studio location, her pay was less than the cost of the plane ticket to get there.

So, schauden-frooody on the greedy company.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

spog posted:

FWIW the reason Ned Flanders has a dead wife is that the actress who did her voice work was paid so little, that when they moved the voice recording studio location, her pay was less than the cost of the plane ticket to get there.

So, schauden-frooody on the greedy company.
Not totally right. She wanted a 4k raise per episode for the stress of travel and the cost of the plane tickets. They gave her some joke amount to put her in her place and she quit.

Her actual salary was about 2k which more than covers the tickets themselves.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

codespace posted:

Yeah, the "simpsons land" got its trial opening a couple years back at the Orlando Universal. The Florida one is mildly smaller but has most of the same attractions, including a Simpsons themed food court (Including a highly detailed accurate recreation of Moe's. Which does serve alcohol.) We probably had the most fun there out of the entire two-park complex. Also, all the shops are always out of "Bort" merchandise.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Darkhold posted:

Not totally right. She wanted a 4k raise per episode for the stress of travel and the cost of the plane tickets. They gave her some joke amount to put her in her place and she quit.

And then they hired her back after agreeing to let her record her lines from home so she didn't have to travel.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The schadenfreude is people still watching this show

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, the "simpsons land" got its trial opening a couple years back at the Orlando Universal. The Florida one is mildly smaller but has most of the same attractions, including a Simpsons themed food court (Including a highly detailed accurate recreation of Moe's. Which does serve alcohol.) We probably had the most fun there out of the entire two-park complex. Also, all the shops are always out of "Bort" merchandise.

We actually DO stock the Bort merch, it just always sells out first :sun:

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Yeah, gently caress the people who actually create the show, the giant company that already has more money than god should keep it all. Shearer should definitely not leverage his considerable clout to try to change the playing field for his far less fortunate fellow voice actors.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

We actually DO stock the Bort merch, it just always sells out first :sun:

You're over in Simpson's merch? I'm out in CityWalk merch!

:dance:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Thump! posted:

Yeah, just like those basketball players making $15m/year get all greedy and ask for $16m while the poor, destitute owners get so beaten down they end up being forced to sell their team for $500M-$2B :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

It'll probably be fixed around January 20, 2017.

• Locked thread