Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The best thing about Roche is that every other Shinra mook's reaction to Roche is "ugh, for gently caress's sake, him?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a weirdly casual attitude towards the guy that's got no friendly fire setting in his brain.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In a world where Healing Materia exists, errant motorcycle-inflicted wounds aren't that big of a deal

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really get the problem with Roche being a character when Don Corneo, who is basically the exact same in both original and remake, is also a thing. Roche being way out there isn't even unique to him.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Roche owns and I'm sorry if you can't enjoy him

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Momomo posted:

I don't really get the problem with Roche being a character when Don Corneo, who is basically the exact same in both original and remake, is also a thing. Roche being way out there isn't even unique to him.

There's also Palmer, the walking fat joke, who obssesses over lard, runs a space program and proceeds to fight you with a 1950's replica ray gun, sticks his tongue out at you, and then gets hit by a truck. That's the extent of his arc. Remake Corneo gets stomach jiggle physics. The point is, there are not only characters as ridiculous as Roche, but also just plain worse.

Roche is the queer icon 2020 needed, but didn't deserve

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

There's also Palmer, the walking fat joke, who obssesses over lard, runs a space program and proceeds to fight you with a 1950's replica ray gun, sticks his tongue out at you, and then gets hit by a truck. That's the extent of his arc. Remake Corneo gets stomach jiggle physics. The point is, there are not only characters as ridiculous as Roche, but also just plain worse.

Roche is the queer icon 2020 needed, but didn't deserve

None of those people embody the hated anime in their actions however, so they're fine. I'll accept a thousand genocide enthusiasts before I tolerate another loud anime with a sword!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Namnesor posted:

In a world where Healing Materia exists, errant motorcycle-inflicted wounds aren't that big of a deal

roche-related incidents qualify as "injury by misadventure" on shinra health plans (silver and up only) so as far as the C-suites are concerned he's a solved problem

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

RareAcumen posted:

None of those people embody the hated anime in their actions however, so they're fine. I'll accept a thousand genocide enthusiasts before I tolerate another loud anime with a sword!

The original game's immediate predecessor had routine boss fights with a loving octopus. You also could (and should) suplex a mother loving train.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shinra crew, minus perhaps Rufus, are all fairly drat goofy, intentionally so. They're modeled after the evil underlings of a 90s-style anime evil overlord and the game plays that up. Like Hojo is a horrible monster in every way shape and form but you also find him sunning on a beach and he eventually turns into a goofy monster you fight. Hedegger and Scarlet are evil bastards who are absolutely played for comedy. Palmer is Palmer. Reeve looks straightforward but the dude is a secret spy using a loving robot cat riding a robot moogle. They are all absurd humans which is an intentional contrast to Sephiroth just feeling weird and inhuman.

That's not counting the entire rest of the cast which has an absurd number of truly ridiculous characters. Don Coreno, Bugenhagen who is literally a goofy old man riding around on a floating ball, Dio who is just a beefy shirtless dude in short shorts, the Turks who are at once murderers of all of Sector 7 and people who have goofy antics and you discover chatting about which FFVII girl they'd want to date, etc, etc. Almost every segment of the game is filled with very silly sequences but it intentionally uses those sequences to humanize the protagonists so when something hits it hits harder. The game constantly straddles the line between serious and ridiculous and that is part of what makes it work.

And that is also present in the remake. Don Corneo is a goofy fat rear end in a top hat but in a heartbeat he drops that to show the ruthless human trafficker beneath. Rude is a dude who literally always has replacement sunglasses and he also is personally responsible for the destruction of Sector 7. Wedge is a goofy dude voiced by Badger from Breaking Bad who loves cats and is the butt of jokes and he absolutely parlays that into being someone you worry about dying. FFVIIR works because it remembers that most of these characters are not one or the other but both and it intentionally builds upon that.

FFVII is a silly game that is okay. Silly doesn't mean it can't have meaning. Good writing can make you care as much about a goofy cartoon skeleton as you do a photorealistic sad father, and it can make death or tragedy hit harder because you're seeing someone who feels more human than a constantly dour Extremely Serious Person.

The only real difference between Roche and the rest of Shinra's cast is that he is new. There is absolutely no place where a motorcycle-riding rear end in a top hat Shinra Soldier wouldn't fit in perfectly as a reoccurring goofy villains.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

roche-related incidents qualify as "injury by misadventure" on shinra health plans (silver and up only) so as far as the C-suites are concerned he's a solved problem

and here I thought Shinra Middle Manager was a minor character

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Namnesor posted:

It's actually kinda funny, they almost take pains to show Cloud isn't killing that many people in cutscenes. Even folks getting hit with motorcycles get up afterwards.

ImpAtom posted:

The Shinra crew, minus perhaps Rufus, are all fairly drat goofy, intentionally so. They're modeled after the evil underlings of a 90s-style anime evil overlord and the game plays that up. Like Hojo is a horrible monster in every way shape and form but you also find him sunning on a beach and he eventually turns into a goofy monster you fight. Hedegger and Scarlet are evil bastards who are absolutely played for comedy. Palmer is Palmer. Reeve looks straightforward but the dude is a secret spy using a loving robot cat riding a robot moogle. They are all absurd humans which is an intentional contrast to Sephiroth just feeling weird and inhuman.

That's not counting the entire rest of the cast which has an absurd number of truly ridiculous characters. Don Coreno, Bugenhagen who is literally a goofy old man riding around on a floating ball, Dio who is just a beefy shirtless dude in short shorts, the Turks who are at once murderers of all of Sector 7 and people who have goofy antics and you discover chatting about which FFVII girl they'd want to date, etc, etc. Almost every segment of the game is filled with very silly sequences but it intentionally uses those sequences to humanize the protagonists so when something hits it hits harder. The game constantly straddles the line between serious and ridiculous and that is part of what makes it work.

And that is also present in the remake. Don Corneo is a goofy fat rear end in a top hat but in a heartbeat he drops that to show the ruthless human trafficker beneath. Rude is a dude who literally always has replacement sunglasses and he also is personally responsible for the destruction of Sector 7. Wedge is a goofy dude voiced by Badger from Breaking Bad who loves cats and is the butt of jokes and he absolutely parlays that into being someone you worry about dying. FFVIIR works because it remembers that most of these characters are not one or the other but both and it intentionally builds upon that.

FFVII is a silly game that is okay. Silly doesn't mean it can't have meaning. Good writing can make you care as much about a goofy cartoon skeleton as you do a photorealistic sad father, and it can make death or tragedy hit harder because you're seeing someone who feels more human than a constantly dour Extremely Serious Person.

The only real difference between Roche and the rest of Shinra's cast is that he is new. There is absolutely no place where a motorcycle-riding rear end in a top hat Shinra Soldier wouldn't fit in perfectly as a reoccurring goofy villains.

Yeah, it's kinda important to have a character who is both a badass and vulnerable and human. New Wedge is really well done and actually really endearing; I was very pleased with how relatively heroic he was played - and this for a guy who's fat, goofy-featured and just generally a dork. Other works would've totally just made him a loser! The Remake gives him real pathos moments!

RareAcumen posted:

The one thing about Roche is was he normal before becoming a SOLDIER and now he's crazy or is he like this now afterwards and a danger to everyone since he can swing motorcycles around like nunchuks?

I also kinda got the impression Roche was there to help sell the idea that SOLDIERs are not actually very stable. Between their apparent propensity for dying young due to cellular degeneration, Roche's dysfunctional eccentricity, and even Cloud's stunted emotional growth - especially given the implication other SOLDIERs were conscripted youngsters - it helps add a creepy element to their whole concept which was sort of lacking in the original.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

RareAcumen posted:

Too much Wall Market, Roche was pointless filler, Jesse, Biggs and Wedge suck up way too much of the game's plot time, Sephiroth shouldn't have appeared for another three games, Hardedge shouldn't have been available so early and where the gently caress is Tifa's slot macine Limit Break?

That is not the consensus around here.

Also Wall Market is great except for that new lovely music they have for it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ace Transmuter posted:

There's several parts that are like "She's still fighting, so we need to keep fighting too!"

I don't remember them referring to her continuing to fight on post death, but a lot of how she had planned to return from the City of the Ancients once she was done and how her optimism and kindness in life continued to inspire the heroes. That doesn't mean they don't exist though, and I'm going to replay with high res textures so I guess I'll find out!

Ace Transmuter posted:

The game sets up all this darkness as a motivator, and of course the ending is supposed to be ambiguous. But I'm not seeing any support in the text for this misanthropic interpretation and tons of support for a hopeful future.

I guess what I would say, if I were being pedantic, is that FF7 can be and often is bleak, but it strikes far too many hopeful notes to be really considered dark. And grimdark is right out.

The game is constantly bringing up that human activity can be harmful for the planet both implicitly and explicitly. The WEAPONs attack settlements because of this, the planet around Midgar is a black, lifeless plain, etc etc.

This doesn't mean that humanity is irredeemable, throughout the game we see several personal redemptions and we get speeches like Cid telling our characters it's up to us to protect the planet (specifically from Sephiroth but more generally as well).

The game is absolutely optimistic on the level of the individual but we are not shown that at the societal level the impetus to change will be sustained. This time, we were spared, but if nothing changes, planet will eventually get rid of the threat and continue existing without us.

Which is literally climate change where the Gaia hypothesis is true. That is not grimdark (I never said it was, though), that's just...realism?

That said it does include a hopeful option - you can always interpret the greening of Midgar as a symbol of humanity's growth and learning to live more harmoniously. And if you believe that is possible the game is calling you to apply that to where we are now. Face the uncertainty of global warming and try to make things better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elephant Ambush posted:

no it isn't

what

They're talking about the Cait Sith cameo, not exactly the same since instead of some one liner he falls to his knees in despair, but it's got the same energy.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're talking about the Cait Sith cameo, not exactly the same since instead of some one liner he falls to his knees in despair, but it's got the same energy.

No don't

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

President Shinra is voiced by James Horan using his Skullface performance and that's inherently hilarious.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Over-the-top motorcycle man is the silliest boss fight in a game where you fight a flying sentient house that has all house-puns for attacks and shoots chair-missiles at you and launches exploding stuffed cats while being narrated by a pair of WWE commentators.

"Your friend fought a house? .... a house."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope the other parts include MORE weirdo SOLDIERs to bug Cloud and the gang.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope the other parts include MORE weirdo SOLDIERs to bug Cloud and the gang.

I'm curious to see what else they expand into boss fights. Midgar is honestly pretty frontloaded with bosses even discounting the minor enemies they gave boss status there are as many boss fights in Midgar as there are up until the Temple of the Ancients afterwards.

I assume Midgar Zolem will probably be upped to either boss or optional boss status but not sure what other iconic stuff they can throw in.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Triceratops tank at the now-mandatory Gongaga reactor.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

President Shinra is voiced by James Horan using his Skullface performance and that's inherently hilarious.

Wait he was voice by who? WHOOOOOO!?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tonal shifts are an important part of any good narrative. Even Shakespearean tragedies have comedic breaks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Schwartzcough posted:

Triceratops tank at the now-mandatory Gongaga reactor.

Tankceratops.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see what else they expand into boss fights. Midgar is honestly pretty frontloaded with bosses even discounting the minor enemies they gave boss status there are as many boss fights in Midgar as there are up until the Temple of the Ancients afterwards.

I assume Midgar Zolem will probably be upped to either boss or optional boss status but not sure what other iconic stuff they can throw in.

Cloud and friends are riding Chocobos toward the cave when they see the Midgar Zolom chasing after them, with Roche riding on top of its head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Cloud and friends are riding Chocobos toward the cave when they see the Midgar Zolom chasing after them, with Roche riding on top of its head.

"A boss battle against Roche on top of Midgar Zolom" would be a pretty fuckin' amazing way to start the game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

amigolupus posted:

I just realized, is Red XIII gonna just be running along side everyone else or are they gonna animate him trying to ride a Chocobo?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about Roche is that he is so fight-horny that he opens by hucking an Elixir at you just to make sure that he gets the best fight possible out of you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite thing about Roche is that he is so fight-horny that he opens by hucking an Elixir at you just to make sure that he gets the best fight possible out of you.

on a motorcycle.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

"A boss battle against Roche on top of Midgar Zolom" would be a pretty fuckin' amazing way to start the game.

A Final Fantasy orchestrated version of "Baba O'Riley" starts playing as the camera zooms in on Cloud's horrified face while an old man starts narrating the story so far

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/KujaOnii/status/1362902764142084096

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
All this talk about Midgar Zolom” makes me think a Gunnm crossover with dueling evil disc cities is in the works.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

I kind of want to kill myself everytime I hear the phrase dilly dally shilly shally.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had to google where that even came from, because my brain has erased it from my memories; I found a 30 second video and didn't make it to the 10 second mark.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zuru zuru zuru zuru

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The absence of Iscar Matthias alone is complete tonal whiplash in every scene.

FTFY

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Zuru zuru zuru zuru

As a teen I ONLY watched Advent Children on Japanese with subs. So thank you for bringing these memories back

Also how can anyone hate Dilly dally shilly shally? Next you'll be telling me you don't like "let's mosey"

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Moola posted:

As a teen I ONLY watched Advent Children on Japanese with subs. So thank you for bringing these memories back

Also how can anyone hate Dilly dally shilly shally? Next you'll be telling me you don't like "let's mosey"

Let's mosey is great. Nonsense baby words are not.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
All words were baby words until someone had to be a try hard about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arkage posted:

Let's mosey is great. Nonsense baby words are not.

I mean FF7:AC did not invent those things. I agree it was a dumb set of choices but it's actual phrases.