Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Too Shy Guy posted:

Something weird is going on with the FEAR store pages, so maybe it is a bug.

Steam Thread 2017: Buy FEAR 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Started playing Operation Babel and I'm dying of anime OD.

I havent even made it out of character creation yet. Pray for me.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Started playing Operation Babel and I'm dying of anime OD.

I havent even made it out of character creation yet. Pray for me.

Isn't this the sequel to Operation Abyss? I thought you'd have built up a tolerance by now, or did you jump straight into this game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
you know it's good when every single female character only gets to wear full clothing on either top or lower body

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dias posted:

you know it's good when every single female character only gets to wear full clothing on either top or lower body
Going by Operation Abyss screenshots, even the enemies are not safe from wardrobe malfunctions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cheap Trick posted:

Isn't this the sequel to Operation Abyss? I thought you'd have built up a tolerance by now, or did you jump straight into this game

Straight in feet first no rope

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anime-ness aside, are they good dungeon crawlers?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm trying to pick through the character generation stuff I havent even started yet.

I wont hesitate to recomment Starcrawlers though for dungeon crawler action.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm trying to pick through the character generation stuff I havent even started yet.

pick the most naked loli and hit us back with the results

knowing these games that's the op character

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

GrandpaPants posted:

Anime-ness aside, are they good dungeon crawlers?

They're not bad if you like fairly straightforward Wizardry clones that are slightly less cruel to the player than actual mid-series Wizardry games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And trying to penetrate all the standard crawler jargon that's been obfuscated. i.e. that third screenshot of blood code selection? That's just a class selection screen :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

pick the most naked loli and hit us back with the results

knowing these games that's the op character
"Looks" appears to be before you pick your class, so it seems like it'd be unrelated.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Behind one purchase button is FEAR 3, behind the other two are goats.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

"Looks" appears to be before you pick your class, so it seems like it'd be unrelated.

C'mon, at least one of the classes has got to have a half-naked loli as the display image.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You seem really fixated on this thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

please stop using the word 'loli' here or anywhere

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
this is the thread that had the whole huniepop circlejerk lemme make fun of the stupid anime game for once please

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dias posted:

this is the thread that had the whole huniepop circlejerk lemme make fun of the stupid anime game for once please

There are much better ways to make fun of things than the angle you're trying so very hard to go for, I assure you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kanfy posted:

There are much better ways to make fun of things than the angle you're trying so very hard to go for, I assure you.

goddamn dude i was just shitposting but it's fine sorry i upset you so badly i'll drop it gently caress

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So since people were talking about Harvest Moon and there's still like 30 hours left to get it with a deep discount, I thought I'd talk about a game I bought earlier during the NIS sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZaTsQHTtJk

http://store.steampowered.com/app/525700/Birthdays_the_Beginning/

Made by Yasuhiro Wada, the original creator of Harvest Moon, Birthdays is not only a God Game but an artificial life simulation/sandbox that plays a little bit like a puzzle. It's a genre that apparently has been resurfacing over the past few years but I hadn't had any contact with ever since those old multiplayer games about evolving a microorganism and seeing if it could survive. Birthdays packs some of the same ideas but instead of designing any creatures, you instead shape the landscape so that the conditions are right for cute looking flora and fauna to appear.

The game has a story mode/tutorial that then unlocks into challenges and sandbox mode. You begin the game with a little bit of plot to introduce the weird alien thingy you use as a cursor and you are brought to a world that's just a little barren cube. You are taught the controls, the absolute basics of how terrain affects lifeform generation and from there you are kind of let loose to experiment and prepare the conditions for one lifeform after the other. First you'll spawn plankton that will give way to stromatolite, algae will give way to seaweed from which primitive jellyfish and trilobites will emerge and from there you are off to create all sorts of life. At first things you make will inhabit the sea, eventually they make their way onto land and from there on keep changing. Each and every lifeform you make you can "capture" and add to a library with information on all creatures available, which in turn makes your alien cursor dude stronger and able to do more.

The game mechanics then revolve around two modes: One "Micro" mode where you slow down time and use your terraforming tools and items on the world; One "Macro" mode where you fly back into space and watch from afar as time passes on your world. Using your terraforming tools uses up your alien's energy so you need to go into Macro mode and rest from time to time, likewise you can make time go even faster but that too will drain you up and require you to rest while time passes normally. Your lifeforms in the meantime will constantly thrive OR die while you are lazying about up in space so in theory you should try and manage yourself efficiently as to prevent unfortunate emergencies but to be frank that has never really been an issue during my games so far.

Back to Micro mode, the terraforming tools are pretty simple: First, lowering or lifting terrain changes what type of biome any particular square is categorized as and affects the terrain's temperature as well. Lower or lift enough land and you'll get temperature changes that affect the entire world, slow and gradual shifts that are then used together with humidity and the population numbers of other lifeforms to fulfill the conditions needed for whatever it is you want to be born. Create all the specified creatures and complete the scenario's objectives/fill your library so you can move on to the next.

The challenge then comes into finding a way to alter the world and spawn what you want without disturbing other creatures, especially those that you might need to keep the food chain going and multiple lifeforms ticking. This can be a little tricky considering the worlds are not that big and managing each area becomes kind of an issue, especially given that a new biome might require a radical shift in temperature and lifeforms need a big enough area to live. Get it right and your lifeforms will thrive when you are in Macro mode; gently caress it up and species will straight up go extinct and you might have to make even more changes to bring them back. In effect the game plays like a very chill, very slow sandbox puzzle broken up by plenty of time to zoom in and watch your lifeforms from up close. At times it can get a little frustrating because the game doesn't really hold your hand and it might not be exactly clear what you need to do but everything is so low pressure that it doesn't really matter beyond making you try different things.Thankfully trying stuff can also get you consumable items that help alter the world/a particular area in a more specific way so they are pretty useful. It's fun and the desire to see more of the lifeforms the game has (almost 300) keeps you going.

(This is just a promo item in-game, don't think you'll be evolving into prinnies)

As you might be able to see in some screenshots the artstyle is amazing, animals have this sort of cute felt texture and the game as a whole would be just perfect if you want to relax or need a game that everyone can play. Sadly it is not without issues though: The controls in particular can be a little clumsy so using the more complicated terraforming stuff takes some time to get used to and makes everything a bit more slow than necessary. Likewise there's some technical stuff with the port, for one it always launches in a wrong resolution so you need to do a quick Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode and then back in to display properly. The absolute highest graphic setting too seems to have some considerable performance hitches in very specific situations so you might want to play on high instead of ultra settings (game still looks great though.)

All in all it's a very enjoyable package. It feels educational and fun but also kind of old school in a way that reminds me a lot of how Harvest Moon had a lot of things to discover and appreciate.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 19, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

please stop talking about 'anime' here or anywhere

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Anime is good tho. For instance, the Disgaea games are on sale too, might as well pick those up instead of...that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

McSpanky posted:

please stop talking

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Seconding this, I've only played through one of the routes so far (Workers United) but it's storyline was remarkably deep and well-done. If you're looking for a slick, modern dungeon crawl one you can't do much better.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

---

So assuming I kinda enjoyed Endless Space 2 for what it was, do you guys have some recommendations on the 4x side for someone that really doesn't know what he's doing? Something a bit less dense and preferably either more focused on exploring/expanding or with pretty good combat? Should I just get into Civ already?

edit: actually I wouldn't mind a game that's SUPER exploration focused because my favorite part about playing ES2 was finding out new poo poo

Dias fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 19, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Seconding this, I've only played through one of the routes so far (Workers United) but it's storyline was remarkably deep and well-done. If you're looking for a slick, modern dungeon crawl one you can't do much better.

The one thing that gave me trouble til I understood it was that nearly all your character abilities scale off your weapon damage. Theres a remainder that scale off your HP.

So that means you really want the hardest hitting weapon you can find, not necessarily the rarest.

The other major thing is to keep an eye on the time cost of the weapon. Itsno good having a heavy hitter when you only act once for every 2 times everyone else does. Balance that against how hard the weapon hits, keep throwing out your old gear

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

Behind one purchase button is FEAR 3, behind the other two are goats.

I'd like a goat, please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

I'd like a goat, please.

Sorry, you picked the door that contained 'Mother' by Danzig. Enjoy your copy of FEAR 3!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As someone who didn't get through FEAR 1, can you folks tell me what's horribly wrong with FEAR 3? What's with the goat jokes?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has anyone decided to give Star Traders: Frontiers a try? It just came out and looks pretty interesting, but its also Early Access, making me rather leery of it.

I'm really interested in this. The devs started on mobile with a game called Star Traders RPG (I assume this is some sort of sequel/port/?) which was a) really good and b) really well supported with updates for years, and if they can pull of the move to PC and the added amount of content/depth/engagement I'd expect from that, it should be fantastic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who didn't get through FEAR 1, can you folks tell me what's horribly wrong with FEAR 3? What's with the goat jokes?
You just made me feel very old.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

You just made me feel very old.

I thought the goats were related to the game, not to the probability stuff I learned from Zero Time Dilemma. :saddowns:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

its a bad game, the goat jokes are a monty haul reference. fear 3 is actually kind of fun with the asymmetric co-op but the single player is real boring.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fear 3 has the worst named protagonist in the whole of anything, anywhere. But the mall level was really good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought the goats were related to the game, not to the probability stuff I learned from Zero Time Dilemma. :saddowns:
I need to replay that series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FEAR 3 is a great game and is fun as hell. I don't really know why people have a vendetta against it, you can still jump kick people in slow motion and gib them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

FEAR 3 is a great game and is fun as hell. I don't really know why people have a vendetta against it, you can still jump kick people in slow motion and gib them.

I think it's just that it's the worst of the FEARS, IMHO, if only because of saturation. Also the whole Sadako pregnancy thing might not have worked really well with some people?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I need to replay that series.

You should, when the memories have faded enough - it's really a fun read. :D

Also thanks guys! The FEAR series is wild but I didn't dig its gameplay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dias posted:

I think it's just that it's the worst of the FEARS, IMHO, if only because of saturation. Also the whole Sadako pregnancy thing might not have worked really well with some people?

Well yeah, but even the worst FEAR game still lets you sweep kick enemies so hard they do a flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dias posted:

So assuming I kinda enjoyed Endless Space 2 for what it was, do you guys have some recommendations on the 4x side for someone that really doesn't know what he's doing? Something a bit less dense and preferably either more focused on exploring/expanding or with pretty good combat? Should I just get into Civ already?

edit: actually I wouldn't mind a game that's SUPER exploration focused because my favorite part about playing ES2 was finding out new poo poo

Civ V is a good choice for your first 4x and does a good job of teaching you how to play, Age of Wonders 3 does the exploration side well and has really good combat, plus a fairly decent tutorial. If you do pick up AoW3, I'd recommend going through the tutorial part of the campaign, but then you might want to go for a random map for a more traditional 4x experience - the campaign is a lot more structured and requires a more aggressive playstyle.