Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Splish posted:

Nothing brings out my inner rear end in a top hat Republican like people complaining that legal weed is too expensive in California. Like if you can't afford $35 for an eighth you need to work more or smoke less.

You can disagree without bringing your inner rear end in a top hat Republican to the fore. He probably wants to ban weed outright anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to send our annual donations on Giving Tuesday.
Same, I always forget there's a 'day' for that and instead just donate when the thread in D&D shows up. Or if GBS has a thread for Matenwa again. I'm definitely adding a local food bank to my list this year.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is an eighth enough to melt into a couple tablespoons of butter for a mug cake?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BonerGhost posted:

Is an eighth enough to melt into a couple tablespoons of butter for a mug cake?

Do what my dorm floormate did and cook the actual grass into a cake

College: Bad With Weed

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
Maybe it varies by county? Most is like $40-60 an eighth but you can def get it for cheaper.

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/alpine-alternative?filter%5BanyCategories%5D%5B%5D=flower

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/Insurance/comments/e70vg8/tx_my_auto_insurance_is_about_to_skyrocket_no_one/

quote:

I would like to preface this by explaining how aware I am that I have bad driving habits and I shouldn't be driving. I'm here asking for a way to stop driving, so I don't have to insure myself. I have a large amount of points on my record—9 in 2017 alone, all of which will fall off in about 12 months (No, I don't know how my license hasn't been suspended either.) I also have a major not-at-fault accident that year too. I assume that's also counting against me even though I couldn't help being hit by someone who ran a red light.

I already feel terrible about my driving history, and so does my wallet—my insurance has been insanely expensive this year. I now own an eScooter which I drive to work so I don't drive hardly at all anymore. I also started leasing a new car, which has helped me kick my speeding habit thanks to the ACC. I don't have to touch the gas or brake hardly at all when I make long trips to visit my girlfriend or parents.

Timeline of events:

2017: 9 points on record for various tickets, major not-at-fault accident
2018: two minor fender-benders and a couple speeding tickets
Early 2019: got off my parents insurance, premium started at ~$450/mo
Mid 2019: one no-seatbelt citation dismissed via defensive driving; I get an e-Scooter for my commute
October 2019: I begin leasing a 2019 Civic, insurance premium goes up to ~$600/mo
Yesterday: Insurance agent tells me Progressive said they are going to raise my rates to over $1600/mo in January when my 6-month term ends, and he doesn't know why; says maybe I got moved up a "bracket"?
So starting in early January, I will not be able to afford any "regular" insurance. I've shopped around, and no one will insure me for less than $1000 a month. What are my options moving forward? I'm open to anything.

I already don't commute to work, so I want to just stop driving somehow. I need someone else to be the insured driver. Are there any loopholes I can take advantage of? Here is what my lease contract says about insurance. My girlfriend is in the market for a new car, would her insurance company insure my car in her name?

I am considering other options such as selling the car (Honda doesn't do lease transfers), but for the sake of this post I'm curious about keeping the car because that would be the cheapest option even if I keep making payments on the car.

Another question maybe someone can answer: if I were to just not renew my policy in January and stop driving, how likely is it that Honda would find out and provide their own insurance at my expense?

Lease details:

2019 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan, $380/month, DFW area
Had the car for less than 2 months, it's in pristine condition
34 payments left out of 36, almost 2k miles used out of 12k miles a year
TLDR: I need a creative way to not be the insured driver on my lease, because I need to stop driving for a year until my insurance becomes affordable again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That guy needs an electric bike

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Alternate option: double down on driving. Do nighttime street races to pay insurance out of the prize money.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Wow, that’s a good’un

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
At least he's trying to drive insured. A lot of people around me don't.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

How is this possible? I was in three at fault fender benders in three years with three speeding tickets, and my comprehensive on a 2014 Mazda3 is 175/mo

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

How is this possible? I was in three at fault fender benders in three years with three speeding tickets, and my comprehensive on a 2014 Mazda3 is 175/mo

Comprehensive is almost always super cheap, as it's any upset to the vehicle while you aren't operating it that isn't a collision. Liability and Collision are going to be through the roof, though I assume this is what you meant. It also sounds like this person is young and seems to accrue multiple tickets a year. A new car is more than an older car, and some states are just higher.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

H110Hawk posted:

Comprehensive is almost always super cheap, as it's any upset to the vehicle while you aren't operating it that isn't a collision. Liability and Collision are going to be through the roof,

Other way around. Liability is the minimum you need in order to operate the car on public roads. Comprehensive is what covers everything.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I dont think you can actually buy comprehensive without also buying collision and liability. I have all three of course, and the 175/mo is for everything

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sure you can, it's just more generally called storage coverage.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The company I work for is essentially what this guy needs. Non standard insurance (liability only) from when you can’t get any anywhere else. We absolutely do not pay out for poo poo so lol if you get hit by one of our insured.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm listening to my co-worker behind me talk to a mechanic about an oil leak. He's an Unix admin who I presume makes good money, but is delivering pizzas in his off time in a loving Chevy Suburban with 140k miles on it.

Why does he need to deliver pizzas in a vehicle that gets 15mpg when he has an otherwise good job? Is it because we live in a late state capitalistic hellscape where everyone needs a gig job to survive? Or is it because he's on his second mail order bride because American women are too bossy and demanding?

Oh good, now he's talking about putting a new engine in it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why does he need to deliver pizzas in a vehicle that gets 15mpg when he has an otherwise good job? Is it because we live in a late state capitalistic hellscape where everyone needs a gig job to survive? Or is it because he's on his second mail order bride because American women are too bossy and demanding?

What thread are you in?

That's right, he's in crushing debt from spending more money than he makes over a period of years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

maybe he's giving housewives

EXTRA SAUSAGE

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

I dont think you can actually buy comprehensive without also buying collision and liability. I have all three of course, and the 175/mo is for everything

He needs to "garage" the car (basically put it in storage), which allows him to buy just comprehensive, and then send proof of both to Honda.

Source: I work at a Credit Union and deal with people garaging their vehicles every so often when they get deployed or are on a long vacation or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m surprised we haven’t had a derail about mail order brides yet; they’re insanely BWM.

Edit: the process to meet and marry one I mean.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if he's using a marriage broker or not. He's been over to the Philippines a couple of times for the latest one. It's possible he's still negotiating terms or maybe his vote for Trump didn't pan out the way he wanted and she can't get a Visa.

Also running a quick search in Reddit for mail order brides didn't show me a lot of BWM. Still, realizing on a web forum that there's a reason why your dad kept going on Asian business trips before he met your step-mom has to be worth something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I’m surprised we haven’t had a derail about mail order brides yet; they’re insanely BWM.

Edit: the process to meet and marry one I mean.

It’s real easy to get super gross and creepy, plus the stories are even more likely to be made up bullshit than the usual BWM fare here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i dont think any good who had one would admit to it

unlike MY WIFE who married me for love and not for medical money

because she lives in canada

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1203118775815622664

We’re in the response ads phase of the Peloton bike commercial now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this could make that lady's career it looks like, lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That owns.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
well speaking of Pelotons...

This is the saddest post I have seen today:

quote:

"My wife and I decided to get a Peloton. It for now, costs about $100 a month (equipment + membership). For comparison, the Gold’s Gym a half a mile away costs $60 per person. So for now, the bike is cheaper for us than 2 gym memberships. The Membership gets you all their classes. Running, yoga, weights, etc. Stuff I do use. Once we pay off the bike, it’ll be even cheaper. We looked at the cost as that of like a new Macbook Pro or something. We’re paying it off with no interest, and we actually use it. And we figure the cost of our health equipment will always be cheaper than any hospital visit it puts off. (We live in the US, so one ambulance ride is more expensive than the bike)"
They can't afford the bike, they have to pay it off in installments. They're literally going into debt for an exercise bike. What the gently caress ever happened to... going outside? I get being poor, and I get prioritizing health. But I just got back from a 9-mile run that cost me about $0.05, as an approximate amortized cost of my running shoes.

And I love the comparison to the Macbook Pro stuck in there: clearly these are necessities. We absolutely had to go into more debt to get one or the other, of course! And the bike is healthier!

Jesus Christ, America. Get your poo poo sorted.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

George H.W. oval office posted:

We absolutely do not pay out for poo poo so lol if you get hit by one of our insured.
Progressive?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thursday Next posted:

They can't afford the bike, they have to pay it off in installments. They're literally going into debt for an exercise bike. What the gently caress ever happened to... going outside? I get being poor, and I get prioritizing health. But I just got back from a 9-mile run that cost me about $0.05, as an approximate amortized cost of my running shoes.

And I love the comparison to the Macbook Pro stuck in there: clearly these are necessities. We absolutely had to go into more debt to get one or the other, of course! And the bike is healthier!

Look at this guy who hasn't heard the phrase "low low payments of" on daytime tv for some piece of exercise equipment

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thursday Next posted:

Most people don't live somewhere they can walk out their front door and run 9 miles safely.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Eleven Eleven posted:

He needs to "garage" the car (basically put it in storage), which allows him to buy just comprehensive, and then send proof of both to Honda.

Does "comprehensive" have the opposite meaning in Freedomland or something, because this post and the previous one is making me think so.

In Aus/NZ "comprehensive" insurance means "covers just about everything" and is the top level. Below that you have other stuff that I've never used and at the bottom is third-party-liability-only, which is where they'll pay for the BMW driver you mowed down but you're on your own for your own car/body.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In the US comprehensive usually means “covers your car for things that aren’t due to a collision”.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

In not quite correct terms:

Liability covers the damage you do to others.
Collision covers the damage to your own car, even if you caused it.
Comprehensive covers stuff not covered by the other two, like vandalism and theft.

Liability is required most everywhere. The other two are optional.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Most people don't live somewhere they can walk out their front door and run 9 miles safely.

This is a joke post right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Peloton post doesn't look weird at all. Plenty of people put large purchases on installments, especially if it's no-interest. I bought the nicest TV I've ever owned last year and it gets paid off in 2 months and that was a loving awesome purchase with zero regrets.

Going outside is nice too, but not everyone's schedule makes that easy - especially in the winter. If they're actually using the bike then bully for them. If it's a clothes hanger with a tablet screen then it's stupid and we can mock them relentlessly.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Peloton post doesn't look weird at all. Plenty of people put large purchases on installments, especially if it's no-interest. I bought the nicest TV I've ever owned last year and it gets paid off in 2 months and that was a loving awesome purchase with zero regrets.

Going outside is nice too, but not everyone's schedule makes that easy - especially in the winter. If they're actually using the bike then bully for them. If it's a clothes hanger with a tablet screen then it's stupid and we can mock them relentlessly.

The point is it is not a necessary purchase, particularly since they cannot afford it. You can get a different stationary bike - and post on Facebook all you want about it, and even download motivational apps like Zwift - for around $100. You can literally get this experience without the brand name for less than 1/20 the cost.

In your case, you - I assume - cannot get another TV of similar quality for 1/20 the cost. TVs cost what they cost, so your purchase makes sense.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

enraged_camel posted:

This is a joke post right?

I didn't take it as a joke post. I used to run at my old address, but now I live in Maryland on a rural road. It gets dark this time of year right after I get home from work, and there are very few street lights. I don't want to get hit by a truck.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Thursday Next posted:

The point is it is not a necessary purchase, particularly since they cannot afford it. You can get a different stationary bike - and post on Facebook all you want about it, and even download motivational apps like Zwift - for around $100. You can literally get this experience without the brand name for less than 1/20 the cost.

In your case, you - I assume - cannot get another TV of similar quality for 1/20 the cost. TVs cost what they cost, so your purchase makes sense.

why watch TV when you could go outside? Going outside only costs 5 cents (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Thursday Next posted:

The point is it is not a necessary purchase, particularly since they cannot afford it.

Is your evidence that they can't afford it that they financed it? 0% financing is GWM even if you have the cash to pay upfront.