Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Ruffian Price posted:

lmao they're cutting teacher hours to save money and managed to get dumb boomers to blame the loving kids

Unless it’s going down different in Cali, all this affects is start times because surprise to no-one, puberty and growing take a lot of loving energy. I would have killed for later start times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Come out, Persona!!
(:nws: you know who this is)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PurpleXVI posted:

I always wondered what Helios from Deus Ex would sound like on social media.

I was thinking Ummon from the Hyperion Cantos, but basically same thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Unless it’s going down different in Cali, all this affects is start times because surprise to no-one, puberty and growing take a lot of loving energy. I would have killed for later start times.

Yeah, this is actually a potentially positive change, teenager's bodies gently caress their sleep schedules the gently caress up, leading to them needing more sleep and likely not being able to get to sleep until later in the night. And piling on stuff like extracurriculars and extensive homework because 'what else are they doing' doesn't exactly help matters either.

There have been efforts to start school an hour or so later that actually work out really well. I just checked, apparently Seattle did that last year. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't cut anyone's employment hours any, but I can't find anything to confirm or deny that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is actually a potentially positive change, teenager's bodies gently caress their sleep schedules the gently caress up, leading to them needing more sleep and likely not being able to get to sleep until later in the night. And piling on stuff like extracurriculars and extensive homework because 'what else are they doing' doesn't exactly help matters either.

There have been efforts to start school an hour or so later that actually work out really well. I just checked, apparently Seattle did that last year. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't cut anyone's employment hours any, but I can't find anything to confirm or deny that.

Sure, but why should kids these days have it better when I didn't? Why shouldn't they suffer in the same way I did? Why should things improve somewhat?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just checked out Philosophy Tube's own Olly Thorne's Twitter and holy crap he is just being so absolutely goddamn tone-deaf by ignoring all the noise about Contrapoints praising and boosting an enby-denying Wachowski-outing fuckface it's transcended to high art. Like, I loved the guy's work, but the fact the dude can't even take a moment to pinch out even the slightest apology save for a brief non-apology where all he does is shill his next tryheard theaterkid video.

So yeah, screw the whole "Leftube/Breadtube" thing. It is, as described by one astute Tweet, "a loving human centipede." It's strangely comforting to see that even people who seem good are every bit as stupid and hypocritical as the people they made their careers bashing.

I liked Hbomb's comment which seemed honest and at the very least didn't plug his next loving video.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bread tube or whatever has the problem that when you create content that revolves around a single person a personality cult is going to form. Not even like on purpose it’s just how things go.

Add to the fact people are naturally going to be defensive of people they view as friends and it kind of was always going to end this way

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The entire time I was in high school my teachers liked to trot out that factoid. "Oh you guys would have a much better time if we started like two hours later but nah"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

The entire time I was in high school my teachers liked to trot out that factoid. "Oh you guys would have a much better time if we started like two hours later but nah"

Apparently when Seattle did it the tough part wasn't the schools, it was everything else. Those hours are baked into basically every supporting area of the system, so to make that happen you have to get extracurriculars, school buses (or other kinds of public transport) or any other directly related workers to shift accordingly, and you need them all to make that change pretty much seamlessly. And that's to say nothing about everyone else in the city, because parents and the businesses they work at aren't used to that change in the schedule either.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Paradox Interactive was asked by a games journalist (uh oh) if they would use the phrase "deus vult" in their upcoming medieval title Crusader Kinds 3 now that the word has become associated with far-right hate crimes, and they said "no." Cue millions of gamers crying out in terror and being suddenly silenced by the SJW agenda. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/deus-vult-a-megathread-read-op-before-posting.1261285/

The whole thread is rich mine of terrible idiots but this one stands out for being so blatant

quote:

Are the forums always this..."organized"? Only official threads about controversy allowed? I've only used them for gameplay research until now. This just solidifies my resolve not to buy from these Swedes anymore after seeing their consistent participation in "pride."

I disavow piracy as immoral, though. I would buy from Humble and slide all the purchase money towards the charity if I knew the publisher didn't get a tax wrote off or any other deductions from such purchases.

Edited to say I have way more respect for many Muslims compared to my opinion of the average westerner...at least they have the guts to stand up t the Gl*b*-h*m*

I honestly can't tell if those asterisks are about queer folks or "globalists." Props to this gamer tho for having the guts to flat out say "no actually I just think conservative religious extremism is straight-up a good thing"

quote:

Yeah I'm done with Paradox after this. I've loved your games since I first discovered EU3 and I've spent thousands of dollars on your games since but Deus Vult is not racist in any way and to pander to the censorious pearl clutchers at the expense of your own fanbase and integrity shows the same kind of moral character that has Blizzard and the NBA bending over for a communist dictatorship halfway around the world. You will never get another cent from me.

Oh, and since this is just gonna get deleted anyway, there is nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy and defend western civilization (which is what the Deus Vult meme is about). I wouldn't expect a bunch of Swedes to understand, since you're willfully participating in the destruction of your own culture and history to appease Muslim "refugees", but western civ is beautiful and unique and a force for good in the world. One day you're going to wake realize you're living in another Saudi Arabia or Syria or, god forbid, ISIS state and you'll wish western liberal democracy still existed in your part of the world. Enjoy your ability to virtue signal while it lasts.

EDIT: Just uninstalled all their games on Steam. They won't care one bit, but it made me feel better

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Oct 22, 2019

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The asterisk stands for "globo-homo" which is a shorthand for the leftist conspiracy trying to make the world gay through globalism.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

goblin week posted:

The asterisk stands for "globo-homo" which is a shorthand for the leftist conspiracy trying to make the world gay through globalism.

how do i sign up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The asterisked-out word is "globohomo" which is ostensibly a derisive term for a society they see as increasingly globalized and homogeneous, but is curiously only used by obvious homophobes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Paradox Interactive was asked by a games journalist (uh oh) if they would use the phrase "deus vult" in their upcoming medieval title Crusader Kinds 3 now that the word has become associated with far-right hate crimes, and they said "no." Cue millions of gamers crying out in terror and being suddenly silenced by the SJW agenda. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/deus-vult-a-megathread-read-op-before-posting.1261285/

The whole thread is rich mine of terrible idiots but this one stands out for being so blatant

Huh, you know, I wasn't gonna get CKIII because usually I've been more into the rest of their series but I feel like they deserve my money now for pissing off the far-right nerd crowd.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bread tube or whatever has the problem that when you create content that revolves around a single person a personality cult is going to form. Not even like on purpose it’s just how things go.

Add to the fact people are naturally going to be defensive of people they view as friends and it kind of was always going to end this way

It feels like its got some of the issues of YA lit twitter/social media, too. Limited space to make a living off of the product, so you end up with folks who want in, circling and looking for any opening to pull someone out (presumably to make space for themselves, but I really dont think it works on Highlander rules). End up with a situation where theres economic incentive to make literally any gently caress up look like the end of the world.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, you know, I wasn't gonna get CKIII because usually I've been more into the rest of their series but I feel like they deserve my money now for pissing off the far-right nerd crowd.
Paradox has been consistently good about stuff AFAIK. Props to them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It feels like its got some of the issues of YA lit twitter/social media, too. Limited space to make a living off of the product, so you end up with folks who want in, circling and looking for any opening to pull someone out (presumably to make space for themselves, but I really dont think it works on Highlander rules). End up with a situation where theres economic incentive to make literally any gently caress up look like the end of the world.

This....is the exact opposite of my point.

I’m not on contrapoints side. I think her fanbase is actively toxic

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole thread is rich mine of terrible idiots
"Western Civilization is beautiful and unique" is great. It's so loving ignorant of any kind of history that any time people say it they lose any deniability they just mean "white".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Paradox has been consistently good about stuff AFAIK. Props to them.

There was a goon who used to make really extensive mods of Paradox games and doing Let's Plays to show them off. They made him stop doing that by hiring him to work as a developer full time.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Sleep deprivation has immediate negative effects and can be so miserable that it's considered a form of torture.

So let's do it to this guy!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember reading once people are going to bed later than they used to in general, but stuff in the morning hasn’t changed at all, so if that’s true I can see why kids would be more tired compared to 50-60 years ago.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole thread is rich mine of terrible idiots

Wow, it really is. This one's got virtually all the bingo squares:

quote:

Grand strategy is a kind of game that doesn't really attract normies that would appreciate woke gestures. If anything the types that either play this either don't care or are actually peeved by it.

Peeved may be an understatement though cause we've seen how negatively people have reacted to games when they felt their history was under siege by modern values--Battlefield V, Rome II females, etc.

Normies...history under siege...:females:

Paradox seem like a good bunch and I love to waste a rainy day on HoI4 but, my, there are a lot of people in that game's community who just really, really, really like exploring the counterfactual where you win the war for the Nazis again and again and not, say, defending democracy in Czechoslovakia or flipping South Africa to communism and liberating the entire continent. But I'm sure I'm reading too much into how some people choose to play this entirely historical and apolitical game.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I honestly can't tell if those asterisks are about queer folks or "globalists." Props to this gamer tho for having the guts to flat out say "no actually I just think conservative religious extremism is straight-up a good thing"

I've never played a crusader kings game, what the gently caress is the point of this interview question? Is "deus vult" like the most important phrase in those games?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

After seeing the alleged Kent State gun girl poo poo photo, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't her. A poo poo that huge would kill the person as it exited their body, and gun girl is still posting and not dead from blasting out 10-15 lbs of poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Elblanco posted:

I've never played a crusader kings game, what the gently caress is the point of this interview question? Is "deus vult" like the most important phrase in those games?

It was the name of an expansion and in a game about the crusades it comes up yeah

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BalloonFish posted:

Wow, it really is. This one's got virtually all the bingo squares:

Normies...history under siege...:females:

Paradox seem like a good bunch and I love to waste a rainy day on HoI4 but, my, there are a lot of people in that game's community who just really, really, really like exploring the counterfactual where you win the war for the Nazis again and again and not, say, defending democracy in Czechoslovakia or flipping South Africa to communism and liberating the entire continent. But I'm sure I'm reading too much into how some people choose to play this entirely historical and apolitical game.

Has anyone come up with a "The Nazis win WWII" alternate history that doesn't basically require magic? You'd think that alone would clue people in to the idea that it's not a winning ideology.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BalloonFish posted:

people who play paradox games are extremely adjacent to far right wing politics because of the subject matter of paradox games. i know this because i have spent thousands of hours of playing paradox games and simply because of the topics they cover, they are some of the best games to demonstrate the banality of evil. in ck2 you often end up murdering children for entirely pragmatic reasons, not because you are an evil gently caress, but just because you have great incentive to do so. stellaris allows for the genocide of trillions of sentient beings. it's just the nature of map games and some folks get real into that when it comes to the more historically grounded games like vicky 2 or hoi4

Elblanco posted:

it is a decently astute question. crusader kings, as you may assume, features the crusades somewhat heavily. this means conflicts between christians vs. muslims (mostly) in a battle for the holy land. deus vult is a phrase that was used in these historic conflicts. but christian crusader iconography, including the phrase deus vult, is now being used as a coded symbol for alt right white supremacists and other various internet racists

since paradox games often deal with highly sensitive historical topics, they have to tread careful ground about what is depicted in games. in their ww2 series, hearts of iron, you can play as hitler and nazi germany, but there are no swastikas. you can take decisions to purge the USSR military, but no holodomor or holocaust. the developers don't want to touch on war crimes or genocide, and they should not - the game is a war game, not a political genocide what-if simulator

if deus vult and crusader symbolism has become politicized, then the responsible thing is for paradox devs to be aware of this and remove it. i think that there's some question about if they will do this or not. but the reason why the alt right is getting mad is because one of their sneaky racist symbols is being identified and called out as racist, and they're hiding behind "it's historical! erasure!" to excuse why they and their politics are unpopular today, in the present

for what it's worth, crusader kings 2 has portraits of all the hundreds of thousands of characters in the game. the game can start as early as the year 769, in the reign of charlemagne. great dynasties and historical figures who predate this start date are hard coded into the game. think all the popes, ancestral kings, etc. this includes all of the family of the prophet mohammed, and if you go all the way back in the dynastic tree to find mohammed himself - he is the only character in the game depicted with a textual symbol rather than a portrait, out of cultural sensitivity for the taboo against direct depictions of the prophet in islamic art. so the devs are well aware of potential scandal within their games

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Oct 22, 2019

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Yikes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My cousin is having a meltdown over Trudeau and posting all sorts of Alberta separation garbage. He grew up here, but for 25 years he's been in fuckin Ontario. So he wants Alberta to leave so his province can't benefit from us anymore? Okay dumbass. Makes perfect sense.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

My cousin is having a meltdown over Trudeau and posting all sorts of Alberta separation garbage. He grew up here, but for 25 years he's been in fuckin Ontario. So he wants Alberta to leave so his province can't benefit from us anymore? Okay dumbass. Makes perfect sense.

Part of me hopes the Alberta separatist movement actually gets off the ground so it can inevitably crash and burn into ashes and humiliate everyone involved.

Yes let's purposefully form a completely landlocked nation whose only economy is oil and beef exports, bordered on three sides by the nation you decidedly betrayed. Genius idea.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mak0rz posted:

Part of me hopes the Alberta separatist movement actually gets off the ground so it can inevitably crash and burn into ashes and humiliate everyone involved.

Yes let's purposefully form a completely landlocked nation whose only economy is oil and beef exports, bordered on three sides by the nation you decidedly betrayed. Genius idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aimed for 51st state status

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As some one from the Alberta of the US, it's all a bunch of whining that will come to nothing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Untrustable posted:

After seeing the alleged Kent State gun girl poo poo photo, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't her. A poo poo that huge would kill the person as it exited their body, and gun girl is still posting and not dead from blasting out 10-15 lbs of poo poo.

Have you considered that she might just be unusually full of poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We will all be sorry when the Alberto-Texan PetroRepublic reigns over North America

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

If you shop at Walmart you'll find tons of stuff that's $14.88.

Edit: not saying it's right, it's just more ~brands~ dont give a poo poo about that number.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mak0rz posted:

I made a bait post, we'll see if anyone screams at me about it. It's only 930 in the morning, they're still drunk with rage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

bobjr posted:

I remember reading once people are going to bed later than they used to in general, but stuff in the morning hasn’t changed at all, so if that’s true I can see why kids would be more tired compared to 50-60 years ago.

It's also the buttload of research we now have showing that kids and teens not being good in the AM isn't just them being 'babies', it's actually a biological phenomenon. A teenager's biological clock shifts so they go to bed later, but at the same time, they need closer to 9-10 hrs of sleep on average. Falling into 8/7 hrs or less is an adult sleeping schedule.

they literally need more sleep, and it's not an issue of 'sleep hygiene' where we need to train them how to handle mornings by force. they're still in one of the most intense growing and developmental stages of their lives! Of course that requires tons of energy!

imagine being so broke-brained you think the biological stages of life are something one can beat by trying to force 'good habits' on someone at a point they literally can't and shouldn't be functioning in that way

the reason most people get 'good' with mornings and can wake up easier by adulthood isn't by force of habit, it's that your internal clocks shifts and since you're not growing anymore you don't need as much sleep

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Oct 22, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone translate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone translate this.

"TERFs are good, actually."