Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

LastInLine posted:

If you have a jack in your car but not Bluetooth, you can buy a Bluetooth adapter for your car for $20 that will do the job. My wife has the linked one and I can confirm it's been flawless with her Pixel.

I don't. It's a 2004 that came with a double DIN radio/tape/CD unit yet no Bluetooth or aux. I've had all the poo poo I need lying around for ages so it's no big deal, I just haven't bothered to install it. I don't care for the sound quality on the cassette to 3.5mm adapter I have but it wasn't enough of a disappointment to goad me into not being lazy anymore.

I don't want to go derailing the thread or anything so I'll drop it here, but I can deffo see why folks might get pissy about the headphone jack thing. Main reason I'm not is because I've been wanting to get as few wires tangled around me as possible for so many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I've had it with this bootlooping G4. I sent it now in a second time for the same issue after LG replaced the mobo in July - this time they're calling it a "software failure".

What's the consensus on the G5s plus vs the G5 plus?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The camera in the G5s is supposed to be better than the G5+ but neither are very good, the G5s has a metal body, and they're identical apart from that. Get whatever's cheapest which for most people is the $240 Amazon 4GB model (do not get the 2GB model).

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Maybe is this Librem 5 a option or good Investment in a new kind of smartphone for one of you that can wait until 2018 or need this time to collect the 566$ ?

For now ( hopefully their croudfounding match ) it will be my new phone :sun:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

XenJ posted:

Maybe is this Librem 5 a option or good Investment in a new kind of smartphone for one of you that can wait until 2018 or need this time to collect the 566$ ?

lol no

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XenJ posted:

Phones are not investments.

And no, it's not a good option at all.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Phones are not investments.

And no, it's not a good option at all.

Depreciation by 30% if it's an iPhone, or 50%+ if it's not, after one year? That's better than, uhh, lighting your money on fire, or getting in at the bottom of a pyramid scheme!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

check this out: roth cdma

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am moving away from the US but would like to keep my google voice number active. To do this I need to keep it associated with a "real" US phone number.

My idea is to get a *cheap* voip account and point google voice to it. Is this the best way to go? And if so, can anyone recommend a provider? I really don't expect to use it much for actual phone calls...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“other people”" post="“477204137”"]
I am moving away from the US but would like to keep my google voice number active. To do this I need to keep it associated with a “real” US phone number.

My idea is to get a *cheap* voip account and point google voice to it. Is this the best way to go? And if so, can anyone recommend a provider? I really don’t expect to use it much for actual phone calls...
[/quote]

If you can get a VOIP line for less than $10 a month that is the best option.

Another idea: you can point it towards a family members phone, parents cell / landline, very good friend, etc, and then just turn off call forwarding. Should still work in the hangouts app over internet like I assume you want it to work.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Duckman2008 posted:

If you can get a VOIP line for less than $10 a month that is the best option.

Another idea: you can point it towards a family members phone, parents cell / landline, very good friend, etc, and then just turn off call forwarding. Should still work in the hangouts app over internet like I assume you want it to work.

If you leave a line inactive for a while, Google Voice will deverify it and (if you want to use it again) require the verification process again.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
My Moto X Pure is starting to show its age and I'm looking for replacement options.

I'm looking for an GSM Unlocked phone running as close to stock android as possible for <$500.

Is the Moto Z Play (the original, not the 2) still worth purchasing?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

twice burned ice posted:

My Moto X Pure is starting to show its age and I'm looking for replacement options.

I'm looking for an GSM Unlocked phone running as close to stock android as possible for <$500.

Pixel 1 is on sale from Google for $550 now, should be able to get it cheaper second hand or from another retailer if you wanna save a few more bucks at the expense of worse customer support if stuff goes south on it. The Z Play will have better battery and an SD card if that is something you think you need, but in every other way the Pixel will be better.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
That's not a bad deal. Now I'm debating if the extra $150 or so is worth it for the Pixel 2 XL versus the Pixel 1 XL. Probably, right? I'm likely to have the thing for at least a solid four years unless it turns out to have some horrible design flaw.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twice burned ice posted:

i have the Z Play as my work phone and i think its slow. All i use it for is phone calls and maps, but i've had it stutter on maps a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Meldonox posted:

That's not a bad deal. Now I'm debating if the extra $150 or so is worth it for the Pixel 2 XL versus the Pixel 1 XL. Probably, right? I'm likely to have the thing for at least a solid four years unless it turns out to have some horrible design flaw.

$150 sounds worth it to me for something you plan on keeping that long, especially as the Pixel 1 is already through 1 of its 3 years of security updates.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The good news is with it being a year already is that we know there aren't any horrible design flaws. There were some early ones with the bad sound board but after that both the regular and XL have been solid.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After the neglectful relationship I had with Windows 10 Mobile I'm in urgent need of a new phone as my password manager is already starting to break and my music streaming is dead at the end of the year. Based on my requirements of Microsoft ecosystem, security and a vendor that actually gives a gently caress about its customers with nice-to-haves of Cortana and wireless charging, here are my finalists and their downsides:

iPhone 8 Plus (too expensive and made to be fragile, lovely battery)
Google Pixel XL (loving huge, regular size 128GB is out of stock and with the 2 on the way it's unlikely to come back)
iPhone 6s Plus (no wireless charging, iOS 12 will deliberately kill its performance, 80% the price of an 8 Plus if I buy the docks)
Blackberry KEYone (I'm over physical keyboards, crummy storage, you get security updates but not the latest version of the OS)

I'd really like to avoid spending an obscene amount of money as my last phone was perfectly fine at $450 CAD. To get Cortana working to 100% I already have to get Borderlinx and Entropay accounts to get access to US app stores, so if either Apple or Google is more susceptible to that trick it would tilt my decision. As I understand it Android is the only OS that lets you replace the virtual assistant to any meaningful degree, and the Microsoft launcher would be a huge plus.

I've got some time to make this decision, but I'd rather buy something ASAP and get the switch over with.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 10, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Android is the only platform where you can change the launcher as well so if those are important to you you should get the pixel

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's not essential but it would be nice to have a home screen closer to Windows 10 than Windows 3.1

I refuse to use Siri or Google Now since they don't cross over to my desktop, but Cortana is kinda poo poo outside the US anyway. The US version is great even in non-US locations but the non-US versions won't even access the same data on Windows and aren't in either of my local mobile app stores.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Here are some Windows 10 launchers

https://www.onmsft.com/news/these-are-the-best-windows-10-mobile-launchers-for-android

You can download the package for cortana from apkmirror.com and install it that way to get around it not being in the store, and you can set it as the assistant function by long pressing the home button. From what I've read it won't respond to voice tho

In the Android thread they said the BlackBerry was bad and if you wanna somewhat emulate what you're used to iOS won't let you do it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How hard is the installation and regular updating of a package I get from apkmirror? And is the Pixel only recommended over the Pixel 2 because you can buy one right now instead of in November?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you can wait the pixel 2 would be a better choice, but either of them will be a good phone. Installing the apk just requires that you download it, tap the downloaded file, tap install. to update it you'd have to go to their site and check if theres been an update and do the same thing. You could maybe set up an rss to notify you of new updates but I'm not sure

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Actually I lied this is what they say

If I install an APK from this website, will I be able to update the app from the Play Store?

Yes, absolutely. The Play Store installs APKs it downloads from Google’s servers, and sideloading from a site like APKMirror.com goes through a very similar process, except you’re the one performing the downloading and initiating the installation (sideloading).

As soon as the Play Store finds a version of the app newer than the one you’ve sideloaded, it will commence an update.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does that carry over between store regions? If so that's pretty much a slam dunk over iOS apart from wireless charging and better security.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No idea about that, it's not addressed in their faq either

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Had enough of my G4 bootloop issues and picked up a 64 GB Moto G5S Plus today - when all was said and done, $288$271 for the phone + a $50 Cricket refill card I can resell, not a bad deal compared to the price of the G5 plus.

Only afterwards did I realize the case options available for this phone are gaaaarbage. I hope that's only because it's so new and better ones will be developed in the near future?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 12, 2017

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Gray Matter posted:

Had enough of my G4 bootloop issues and picked up a Moto G5S Plus today - when all was said and done, $288 for the phone + a $50 Cricket refill card I can resell, not a bad deal compared to the price of the G5 plus.

Only afterwards did I realize the case options available for this phone are gaaaarbage. I hope that's only because it's so new and better ones will be developed in the near future?

Girlfriend's g4 mobo fried yesterday night.

"I lost my pictures and contacts!"
"Weren't they backed up online?" - Trick question, I set this up myself

"I turned it off because it was using up my battery." :psyduck:

Goddamnit.

My 6p dies at 40% whenever I so much as look at it funny and her g4 has snuffed it.

Can someone recommend a g4-style phone (rear buttons, decent camera, no built-in bunsen burner)?

I'm going to get myself a Pixel 2 and weep about the price of a new phone.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Girlfriend's g4 mobo fried yesterday night...
I loved my G4 to death, it was a fantastic phone for the ~$300 I paid until it started the boot loop BS like a year after purchase. I already had the mobo replaced once in July, and it started bootlooping again in September. Based on what I've read causes it (crappy soldering job with crappy solder rather than an IC problem inherent to the board) it's just going to keep happening with new boards so I begrudgingly decided to cut my losses.

G5S plus feels like a really premium-built phone for the price.

e: Just now received it back from LG repair for the second board swap. It's running hot as poo poo. I made the right choice.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2017

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

twice burned ice posted:

I decided to splurge and bought an S8. I'm really looking forward to having a flagship device again, and the price wasn't too far out of range.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Gray Matter posted:

I loved my G4 to death, it was a fantastic phone for the ~$300 I paid until it started the boot loop BS like a year after purchase. I already had the mobo replaced once in July, and it started bootlooping again in September. Based on what I've read causes it (crappy soldering job with crappy solder rather than an IC problem inherent to the board) it's just going to keep happening with new boards so I begrudgingly decided to cut my losses.

G5S plus feels like a really premium-built phone for the price.

e: Just now received it back from LG repair for the second board swap. It's running hot as poo poo. I made the right choice.

Yeah, borrowed time on that one too. Sorry bud. Girlfriend loved her G4 but I refuse to get back on the lame horse.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

What's the current recommendation for a 5 line plan (or 5 individual plans, if that's cheaper for some reason) for heavy data users? I'd really like to do T-Mobile's family plan, but we're in an area where they don't own 700mhz spectrum, so their coverage is pretty bad. Additionally, part of the reason I want to switch is for ease of swapping devices (I'm on Sprint currently, and they're network is actually reasonably good in this area, but every time I bring a device to their network, it is a week of calling customer service and opening tickets to get it activated, and I'm sick of it), which almost forces me to AT&T I think? Tell me if that's wrong though. I'd love to have some hotspot data, but that's not required.

Total usage (all 5 lines combined):
Average minutes used: 750/mo
High minutes used: 1500
Average data used in the last 12 months: 24gb
High data used in the last 12 months: 37gb

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

What's the current recommendation for a 5 line plan (or 5 individual plans, if that's cheaper for some reason) for heavy data users? I'd really like to do T-Mobile's family plan, but we're in an area where they don't own 700mhz spectrum, so their coverage is pretty bad. Additionally, part of the reason I want to switch is for ease of swapping devices (I'm on Sprint currently, and they're network is actually reasonably good in this area, but every time I bring a device to their network, it is a week of calling customer service and opening tickets to get it activated, and I'm sick of it), which almost forces me to AT&T I think? Tell me if that's wrong though. I'd love to have some hotspot data, but that's not required.

Total usage (all 5 lines combined):
Average minutes used: 750/mo
High minutes used: 1500
Average data used in the last 12 months: 24gb
High data used in the last 12 months: 37gb

Just looked up ATT, and I think ATT and Verizon literally have the same prices.

Regular unlimited: $40 a line with autopay.
$40 * 5 = $200

Unlimited with hotspot and higher definition video: $50 a line.
$50 * 5 = $250.

So yeah, that’s it. ATT will throw HBO in with their plans. Some unlocked phones work Verizon, but def not all, so ATT is more reliable on BYOD.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So i'm trying to decide between the iphone 7 which i've currently got signed on for but can still return at 50 bucks upfront with a 90-95/month charge for 3g data/unlimited text etc(i'm from canada)

but there's another carrier, freedom mobile, and they're offering the samsung s8 or the LG G6 with 0 upfront for 75/month with like 6 gigs of data. i've never used android before and i couldn't really care less about a lot of the super customization stuff, but i'm sure i will end up loving around with it and liking it

how do people like the LG? is it utter trash? i like the design of the handset more than any of the androids i think, and i would hands down go for the s8 but i'm really worried about breaking the screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

So i'm trying to decide between the iphone 7 which i've currently got signed on for but can still return at 50 bucks upfront with a 90-95/month charge for 3g data/unlimited text etc(i'm from canada)

but there's another carrier, freedom mobile, and they're offering the samsung s8 or the LG G6 with 0 upfront for 75/month with like 6 gigs of data. i've never used android before and i couldn't really care less about a lot of the super customization stuff, but i'm sure i will end up loving around with it and liking it

how do people like the LG? is it utter trash? i like the design of the handset more than any of the androids i think, and i would hands down go for the s8 but i'm really worried about breaking the screen.

I'd keep the iPhone, personally, and probably pick the S8 before G6.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

is the curved off edges as much reason for anxiety as it seems? both the dudes i talked to at the freedom mobile location said they didn't use them because they didn't like the curved screen and how fragile it is, but if i can get a case that will actually protect the side bezels and not just the top i dont really care if it's clunky.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

is the curved off edges as much reason for anxiety as it seems? both the dudes i talked to at the freedom mobile location said they didn't use them because they didn't like the curved screen and how fragile it is, but if i can get a case that will actually protect the side bezels and not just the top i dont really care if it's clunky.

I've never broken a screen or used a case so I'm probably not the best guy to ask but LGs have a habit of just dying due to poor engineering so I'd avoid them. Of course, Samsungs exploded last year due to poor engineering but I think everyone agrees that dying in a lithium fire is like a thousand times cooler than just dying your sleep.

In general we recommend the Pixel if you're paying S8 or G6 money but I know things are hosed up in Canada and plans and phones are weird. Is getting the cheaper plan contingent on buying a phone? The iPhone 7 is going to be nicer for longer than either the S8 or the G6 and simply bringing the iPhone over seems like a better choice than either of the Androids.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I've never broken a screen or used a case so I'm probably not the best guy to ask but LGs have a habit of just dying due to poor engineering so I'd avoid them. Of course, Samsungs exploded last year due to poor engineering but I think everyone agrees that dying in a lithium fire is like a thousand times cooler than just dying your sleep.

In general we recommend the Pixel if you're paying S8 or G6 money but I know things are hosed up in Canada and plans and phones are weird. Is getting the cheaper plan contingent on buying a phone? The iPhone 7 is going to be nicer for longer than either the S8 or the G6 and simply bringing the iPhone over seems like a better choice than either of the Androids.

If I wanted to bring the iphone 7 over to the carrier with the 6g/month plan, i would have to buy the iphone 7 outright. i water damaged my previous phone and the contract was already finished so now i'm just browsing around for a new contract to sign. rogers is who i went with for the iphone 7.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

If I wanted to bring the iphone 7 over to the carrier with the 6g/month plan, i would have to buy the iphone 7 outright. i water damaged my previous phone and the contract was already finished so now i'm just browsing around for a new contract to sign. rogers is who i went with for the iphone 7.

I have no experience with the regular S8 but with the S8+ and the Note 8 the curved screen has been no issue as far as usability is concerned. I suppose it is possible it could be slightly more fragile than a traditional flat screen but I've seen someone accidentally drop an S8 more than once on the sidewalk and the screen hasn't shattered yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

I have no experience with the regular S8 but with the S8+ and the Note 8 the curved screen has been no issue as far as usability is concerned. I suppose it is possible it could be slightly more fragile than a traditional flat screen but I've seen someone accidentally drop an S8 more than once on the sidewalk and the screen hasn't shattered yet.

The curved screens do crack easier when you factor in the case doesn’t cover quite as much. I really would just recommend a glass screen protector for any of the Samsung 8 phones. But of personal preference in the end though.