Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fiction posted:

It was definitely Assad causing the Syrian revolution to become taken over by Islamists and definitely not the US's best ally in the region which has made its mission to spread Wahhabism through funding and arming child-beheading militias. Oh and the US also arming those people definitely had nothing to do with it.

Assad created just about the most perfect conditions imaginable for Islamists to be ascendent in the revolution. People need to stop treating Islamic fundamentalism as some kind of hive mind emanating from Saudi Arabia where if we take down the queen all the drones will flop over like the end of the Avengers. Its much more multifaceted than that, for example a lot of the intellectual basis for modern Islamism comes from people Sayyid Qutb who didn't have much to do with Saudi Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So apparently it's been confirmed that the classified intel Trump leaked came from Israel.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So apparently it's been confirmed that the classified intel Trump leaked came from Israel.

I guess the source itself isn't that important, or those leaking this would be more careful.

I guess its about the principal of the matter.
e: or a way to burn Trump

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Once Trump spilled the beans the cat was already out of the bag as far as actually using that source is concerned.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sinteres posted:

The opening remarks were incoherent even for Trump. Someone's not getting enough sleep.

He starts out at least sensible (if slow, like he's having trouble reading it), but every time he looks up from the paper to try and improvise his brain just goes bananas.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

He starts out at least sensible (if slow, like he's having trouble reading it), but every time he looks up from the paper to try and improvise his brain just goes bananas.

It's genuinely baffling the way he refuses to stick to the script. His ability to improvise during the campaign was effective at times, but he's unbelievably bad at doing it as president. I'd say embarrassing himself during a state visit should be something he'd want to avoid, but by all appearances he's just fine with it since this wasn't the first time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Kitchener posted:

[Insert Gundam Villain Here]

Yeah he's Bask Om from Zeta.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

It's genuinely baffling the way he refuses to stick to the script. His ability to improvise during the campaign was effective at times, but he's unbelievably bad at doing it as president. I'd say embarrassing himself during a state visit should be something he'd want to avoid, but by all appearances he's just fine with it since this wasn't the first time.

The word 'baffling' applies to the Americans who elected him thinking he was anything other than a conman with advanced cognitive deficiencies, one who would be incapable of governing and one who would damage the standing of the United States more than all the presidents in the post WWII period combined. I don't think there's any doubt that the president of the United States has dementia, alzheimers or even just regular ADD with a broke rear end old brain. If you followed his endless attempts to go 'on script' during the campaign you would see him attempt it for 30 seconds, get bored, then go on a tangent. I can only remember a single speech (the debut of 'I'm with you')where he stuck to his script without appearing flustered, bored or ranting. It's loving pathetic.

Trump's trick is to make you think there's something when you're just staring at nothing. Truthfully, though, he'd be a real terror if it was 80's Trump as president and in a way the USA, and the world, is lucky his brain is broken.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what have I missed in the last two months here in the middle east?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Grouchio posted:

It's a live reenactment of every Gundam, both good and bad.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/864569814353883136

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baloogan posted:

which anime villain is assad most like?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Erdogan is the new sultan.
Both the US and Russia put troops on the Turkish border to dissuade Turkey from attacking the YPG.
Yemen is still horrible.
Election season in Iran

Oh and Trump bombed Syria.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Got a mid-term coming up Grouchio?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Trump likely burned an Israeli intelligence asset in ISIS so he could brag to the Russians.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Uncle Kitchener posted:

It's a live reenactment of every Gundam, both good and bad.

Assad has yet to do a colony drop on Idlib.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

El Disco posted:

Trump likely burned an Israeli intelligence asset in ISIS so he could brag to the Russians.

It could be worse and they are asking Mossad to take the hit so the press looks the wrong way.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

It could be worse and they are asking Mossad to take the hit so the press looks the wrong way.

Post/username combo.

That has far too many moving parts in it. Generally speaking, assume the dumbest and simplest option from the Trump Administration and you will never be surprised.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

Video evidence of the rebels in Idlib openly bragging about and advertising themselves as Al Qaeda. But that's Assad's fault of course... :jerkbag:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thatfatkid posted:

Video evidence of the rebels in Idlib openly bragging about and advertising themselves as Al Qaeda. But that's Assad's fault of course... :jerkbag:

It was the army of conquest that made the big push on Idlib and took it from the regime to begin with. I don't think anyone denied al qaeda plays a large role in the city. But there's also often protests and civil resistance against them there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Got a mid-term coming up Grouchio?
Have you? I just graduated.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Here are Erdogan's body guards attacking Kurdish protesters in DC

https://twitter.com/voaturkish/status/864631567972540417

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CherryCola posted:

This isn't the first time that's happened either. I'm sure some posters in this thread will find a way to blame the Kurds though.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

CherryCola posted:

Still unfortunate that the coup failed to liquidate them.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

CherryCola posted:

Are they arresting protesters at the end?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

TildeATH posted:

Are they arresting protesters at the end?

Yes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Children getting some respite in Idlib

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/864686426314727425

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Deploying clowns against innocent children. Despicable.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What's with the kid with a suit?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
So genocidal jihadist militias are good because they put on a clown show for kids?

For some reason i don't think that video is representative of the conditions of Al Nusra held Idlib province.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

So genocidal jihadist militias are good because they put on a clown show for kids?

For some reason i don't think that video is representative of the conditions of Al Nusra held Idlib province.

Not everyone outside of Pax Assad is a bearded killer.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

No, it's representative of some kids seeing some clowns. Not everything has to be about good and evil.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
You're right. It definitely wasn't an intellectually dishonest attempt by a repeated jihadist apologist to handwave away the actual theocratic/genocidal administration that the people of Idlib province are subject to.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Even moderate islamists are reactionary scum, neoliberal shills who will support any corporation so long as they get their religious laws enshrined. It's not really much of a revolution if they end up in power.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

You're right. It definitely wasn't an intellectually dishonest attempt by a repeated jihadist apologist to handwave away the actual theocratic/genocidal administration that the people of Idlib province are subject to.

gently caress you.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Fiction posted:

It was definitely Assad causing the Syrian revolution to become taken over by Islamists and definitely not the US's best ally in the region which has made its mission to spread Wahhabism through funding and arming child-beheading militias. Oh and the US also arming those people definitely had nothing to do with it.

whynotboth.gif

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, there is certainly an argument to be made that both Assad created an ideal breeding ground for extremism (economic liberalism, amnesties) and the Gulf states have done their best to make it happen (including allowing indirect funding to happen through private individuals). You can throw the US in there as well for the Iraq War and turning a blind eye to the Gulf.

Like everything in the Syrian Civil War, no one has any clean hands.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Just so long as those kids aren't suffering any more.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I think they just need jobs, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Al-Saqr, you make a lot of noice about the YPG / SDF betraying the revolution and all that, but putting aside the could'a should'a questions, what exactly do you think they should do going forward? Do you think that the threat posed to them by Turkey is a legitimate one, and how do you think they should deal with that? Do you think the SDF could fight both Daesh and the Regime simultaneously with success?

• Locked thread