Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

UnknownMercenary posted:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 18, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There will be no balance updates for the next 3 weeks due to the Christmas holidays

The game could use some bugfixes and maybe some enemy tweaks but in terms of power/weapon effectiveness I don't know how much balancing there is left to be had (new classes notwithstanding). Bioware has done an outstanding job balancing kits given the amount of variety available, which is especially remarkable considering that this is the company's first foray into multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psimitry posted:

Wait - does that mean they're going back to the charging mechanic on the acolyte?

The charge is back and so are the original damage stats.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

BreakAtmo posted:

Biotics are created when exposed to dust-form eezo in-utero, and only 10% of such cases result in a biotic. Quarian suits render even exposure immensely rare, and the fact that they all live on ships mean that an accident severe enough to spread eezo would also likely be an accident that would kill everyone on-board the ship. Even experiments to try and make quarian biotics would be massively unlikely since eezo is such a precious resource. All these things mean that lore-wise it would just be really, really unjustifiably dumb. I think it would be interesting from a gameplay perspective, but yeah - only so far they can stretch. Even volus are more logical, what with the lore about them being a super-rich banker species that can afford the best power armour and most cutting-edge tech available.

That's only how it works for humans. Others are just naturally gifted, I think.

Though some argument could be made that constant low-level exposure before they knew what it was could have written some into each species' DNA, to have it pop up randomly, perhaps as a recessive gene. There just wasn't any on Earth, so we're only in very early stages of evolutionary exposure after discovering it on Mars, and thus anomalies only so far. I posed this theory to a microbio friend over Skype and received only a series of loud thumps as response, so I suspect it's what Bioware was thinking.

Lynx posted:

They're not actually. I've got all gold and below weapons maxed, and all I got from ~800,000 worth of Arsenal Packs were the new characters and gold consumables.

So the Arsenal Packs, which are supposed to be weapon-specific, give characters? :downs: The level IV consumables I expected, because they're still going to keep the odds low to get more money, but I hadn't expected characters or the 99K cost.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 18, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so basically if I go find a platinum glacier game, it'll be full of missile glitchers?

Well, free money I guess.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Felinoid posted:

So the Arsenal Packs, which are supposed to be weapon-specific, give characters? :downs: The level IV consumables I expected, because they're still going to keep the odds low to get more money, but I hadn't expected that or the 99K cost.

They're essentially PSPs with a higher chance of giving weapons. I guess the Ultra Rare drop rate was unchanged.

EDIT: Anyone else surprised that the Volus Vanguard isn't an Ultra Rare?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should have a Weekend Operation where the goal is "Extract without using missiles".

e: on Platinum

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

precision posted:

They should have a Weekend Operation where the goal is "Extract without using missiles".

e: on Platinum

Most of the playerbase is bronze/silver, the BSN :qq: would be astounding.

I mean, we'd find that hilarious here, but it'd affect like ... I don't know, I'm gonna pull a number out of my rear end and say under 10% of the playerbase. Not the most effective troll.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So I'm really liking the Turian Ghost but I need some help with the build. My current one is 6/6/6/6/0 and he's alright, I guess.

Also the heavy melee is awesome.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Wow, what a lovely time for my laptop display to have broken. I'm sending it in and not getting it back for like ten days.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Monolith. posted:

So I'm really liking the Turian Ghost but I need some help with the build. My current one is 6/6/6/6/0 and he's alright, I guess.

I'd drop a few points out of overload (I know, heresy) and take the 6th point out of Armiger, put them in Fitness. I know with Stims you can hammer the button and usually tank damage, but there's no replacement for always-on shields sometime.

basically use cloak as your free damage button - be hitting it while firing your AR constantly. Pop stims the minute you get hit or whenever you want Even More Damage from your gun. OL - even at rank 4 - is usually enough coming out of a cloak to remove shields so your gun can shoot more things.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Monolith. posted:

My current build is a lot like Psion's suggestion (6/5/6/4/5). I take extra fitness since the Ghost is my go to class for platinum. I only really use overload for detonating ammo powers and neural shock. The extra damage from the passive isn't really necessary, though if you really want it you could try going 6/5/6/6/3.

EDIT: Overload is at level 5 in case that wasn't clear.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Felinoid posted:

That's only how it works for humans. Others are just naturally gifted, I think.

I think they made it pretty clear that the only species that is naturally gifted at biotics are the asari and even that's thanks to meddling by the Protheans. Everybody else requires eezo exposure. Tali has an elevator conversation with Kaidan (or maybe it's Liara) in ME1 about quarian biotics and she says that they do exist but it's really rare for the reasons that BreakAtmo posted.

Stickman posted:

Thanks for nothin', hackers! :mad:

A much better nerf for the acolyte would be to halve its damage but double the shield/barrier multiplier.

The shield multiplier is hard coded and beyond what they can do with the live updates which tweak the same .ini settings that we can also modify ourselves on PC. It would require a full patch to change it.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lynx posted:

They're not actually. I've got all gold and below weapons maxed, and all I got from ~800,000 worth of Arsenal Packs were the new characters and gold consumables.

drat, I was hoping the Arsenal Packs would be a bit cheaper than PSP, or at least have a decent Ultra Rare drop rate, but this doesn't look too promising.

Looks like I'm still going PSPs to get the new characters later today. If someone blows a wad of credits on the new packs, I'd like to know how often they got a UR.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Any PC players up for some gimmick squads this evening? I would really like to play a 4 batarian or 4 volus match. Or 4 asari, or 4 turians.

Just pick the race and we all choose a different class of that race. We just need a fourth geth now and we could do that too. Maybe 3 geth and a volus.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Does the DI have any special cloak evolutions, or is it just the usual sniper rifle damage? I'll be disappointed if they don't give him an SMG-flavored cloak.

If he doesn't have anything special I'll probably just take TC to 5 and fart around with using the melee buff on his kung fu.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

zxqv8 posted:

Any PC players up for some gimmick squads this evening? I would really like to play a 4 batarian or 4 volus match. Or 4 asari, or 4 turians.

Just pick the race and we all choose a different class of that race. We just need a fourth geth now and we could do that too. Maybe 3 geth and a volus.

If you want max lulz take a volus adept with a high power efficiency consumable, and 3 n7 slayers all spamming phase disruptor....God that's hilarious...

Don't do that on anything higher than silver.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

highmodulus posted:

Indeed- Santa came early this year!

...and the objectives are presents!

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Indeed they are:

zxqv8 posted:

Sure, I'm up for whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the arsenal packs have a higher chance than a PSP of rolling a weapon card, all other things being the same? Do you still get consumables and all that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Psimitry posted:

I take a PD Slayer into Gold, it owns. With a volus? Platinum.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the arsenal packs have a higher chance than a PSP of rolling a weapon card, all other things being the same? Do you still get consumables and all that?

Pretty much, yeah. You still get a blue and a couple of silver items (usually consumables) in addition to the two gold-or-betters just like a PSP.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Psimitry posted:

If you want max lulz take a volus adept with a high power efficiency consumable, and 3 n7 slayers all spamming phase disruptor....God that's hilarious...

n7 Slayer with a power amp IV is quite good on Gold even without a Volus. If you're hosting.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Bioware posted:

Acolyte changes
Ffffuuuuuucck

Farewell Acolyte-only Geth Trooper. We had so many beautiful times sleepwalking through Golds together!

The new packs sound cool though, would have been really useful for me a while ago. "No I want an N7 Paladin, not a Krysae III IV and V :argh:"

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think they made it pretty clear that the only species that is naturally gifted at biotics are the asari and even that's thanks to meddling by the Protheans. Everybody else requires eezo exposure. Tali has an elevator conversation with Kaidan (or maybe it's Liara) in ME1 about quarian biotics and she says that they do exist but it's really rare for the reasons that BreakAtmo posted.

Guess it's been far too long since I played ME1. What still confuses me though is that why, over a few thousand years, they don't have exposure rates and durations and susceptible genomes and everything down to a science. I'm sure at least the Salarians would be intrigued and ruthless enough to do experiments on it, if not the others. Especially with their short life cycle and queen bee thing going on. Even a few million male salarians dropping dead would only put a small dent in their population curve for a decade or two, and then it'd be like it never even happened. And in exchange for being able to make every salarian possible a biotic, for the rest of time? Now that's some worthwhile quality-of-life science.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2012

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Psion posted:

I take a PD Slayer into Gold, it owns. With a volus? Platinum.

True. I'm just used to my experience when I went in to gold with three slayers and I was the volus. We were largely just farting around so we weren't playing as carefully as we should have.

Many laughs were had as the pd blasts were constant, but we died pretty quickly.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psimitry posted:

Nonsense, this exact setup works fine on Gold. It's gimmicky as hell but it works. :colbert:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I was keeping a ready reserve on hand so I was able to jump in and buy 6 reserves packs and get all three new classes unlocked off the bat. I'm thinking about a 4/6/6/4/6 build for the Drell, to maximize damage from recon mine and homing grenade while still getting the Drell speed and a little durability in. I did a little test run and I'm thinking I need to know a little bit more about the mechanics of tac cloak and recon mine. Weirdly, the mine doesn't seem to affect cloak. Launching it doesn't uncloak you, and if you wait around to cloak again before you detonating, triggering the explosion doesn't uncloak you, either. It makes me wonder how it interacts with the damage bonus. It's a pretty badass explosion either way.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

UnknownMercenary posted:

Nonsense, this exact setup works fine on Gold. It's gimmicky as hell but it works. :colbert:

Yeah I tried it on Glacier/Cerberus and it was quicker, easier and much more fun than the old FBW/Geth.

Tips: The Volus should have radius on the shield boost and always be spamming it. Slayers should always stick with the Volus and taken the armor damage evo. Everyone should have Acolytes or Scorpions.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

EvanSchenck posted:

Weirdly, the mine doesn't seem to affect cloak. Launching it doesn't uncloak you, and if you wait around to cloak again before you detonating, triggering the explosion doesn't uncloak you, either. It makes me wonder how it interacts with the damage bonus. It's a pretty badass explosion either way.

If it works like arc grenades, then you'll want to be cloaked when you set off the explosion, but not necessarily when you drop the mine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is the new Volus rare or UR?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

exquisite tea posted:

Is the new Volus rare or UR?

The Volus Protector is a rare unlock.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Im really starting to hate Collectors. So much bullshit with the possessed mobs. :negative:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm having a hard time dying as the Volus Vanguard. By that I mean, nothing seems to be able to kill me. :stare:

Charge > heavy melee shield, renders you nearly invincible. I've only died to sync kills and lag so far.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

BIOWARE: "gently caress it, have the rest of this crap. I'm out til January. Laters."

Sucks about the Acolyte, but it was coming. I reckon they should have just changed it to a 1-shot clip weapon. Alright, time to start unlocking.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Stickman posted:

If it works like arc grenades, then you'll want to be cloaked when you set off the explosion, but not necessarily when you drop the mine.

I'm actually finding the damage-build recon mine underwhelming in Gold, because the way it works really limits how often you can detonate it so you can get that damage whenever you want it. It has a nice punch against bosses, like taking off three bars from an Atlas's armor in one go, but I think the support version with radius and invasive scan might be overall more useful, since you can keep track of a wide area and give the whole squad a nice damage bonus.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

subroc posted:

BIOWARE: "gently caress it, have the rest of this crap. I'm out til January. Laters."

Sucks about the Acolyte, but it was coming. I reckon they should have just changed it to a 1-shot clip weapon. Alright, time to start unlocking.

I can't think of a single games studio that doesn't give their employees a few weeks off at Christmas.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo the Volus Vanguard is fun.

I specced 6/6/6/6/0 for full on recharge speed and high shields. Bonus power on charge because you're living on your shield gate, not full shields. It's so much fun to play, I've gotten lucky enough to have about 5 charges in a row because of bonus power, and 4 orbs with 15% recharge bonus each makes for fast everything. You can shield boost instantly after charges, or take another charge to do more staggering or to escape. You can charge in while cloaked so you can revive and then shield boost right as they get up. I use the acolyte because it hits perfectly if you hold down fire before you charge.

I played reaper gold on Vancouver with him and didn't drop nearly as much as one might expect for having 100 health and 500 shields. Watch out for grenades.

Moola posted:

I'm having a hard time dying as the Volus Vanguard. By that I mean, nothing seems to be able to kill me. :stare:

Charge > heavy melee shield, renders you nearly invincible. I've only died to sync kills and lag so far.

Charge while cloaked. Best thing.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 18, 2012

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

I specced 6/6/6/6/0 for full on recharge speed and high shields. Bonus power on charge because you're living on your shield gate, not full shields. It's so much fun to play, I've gotten lucky enough to have about 5 charges in a row because of bonus power, and 4 orbs with 15% recharge bonus each makes for fast everything. You can shield boost instantly after charges, or take another charge to do more staggering or to escape. You can charge in while cloaked so you can revive and then shield boost right as they get up. I use the acolyte because it hits perfectly if you hold down fire before you charge.

I played reaper gold on Vancouver with him and didn't drop nearly as much as one might expect for having 100 health and 500 shields. Watch out for grenades.

I imagined that the advantage of the Volus Vanguard would be him being the most mobile medic. Someone's down across the map. Charge the closest enemy (assuming there aren't too many) and revive/shield boost. Have you found this to be true at all?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Elotana posted:

Does the DI have any special cloak evolutions, or is it just the usual sniper rifle damage? I'll be disappointed if they don't give him an SMG-flavored cloak.
SOMEONE ANSWER ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

It was ridiculous watching you pinball around detonating off all my reaves. :D

• Locked thread