Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Seems irrelevant because there are no blinks in B/R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
New Chainer is pretty loving cool. Would kind of like to build a more casual deck with him sometime.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

*clicking furiously*

.......... flash in an Oubliette?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Clowner posted:

*clicking furiously*

.......... flash in an Oubliette?

how are you flashing it in

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just put a single Veldalken Orrery in the deck and, since we're in Black, just stuff the deck with tutors. Tutor up VO, tutor up Oubliette, blink Kroxa to make everyone discard two cards and maybe lose some life. Ezpz

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Framboise posted:

how are you flashing it in

Framboise, you FOOL, you absolute degenerate CLOWN, the answer is as plain as the glasses on your Avatar's face, Vedalken Orrery!

But how the hell is Black/Red saccing an Enchantment?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Framboise, you FOOL, you absolute degenerate CLOWN, the answer is as plain as the glasses on your Avatar's face, Vedalken Orrery!

I actually forgot that is a card that exists since I sold mine, as it is not good in cedh :smith:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Toshimo posted:

Do you want to Always Be Turning Dudes Sideways?

YES: Smolivia, Exava, RAKDOS II
Yes, but I want to be bad at it: Greven
No, I want to do dumb combo poo poo (but also yes, I want to punch people in the face): Grenzo, Chainer, Garna, Scorpion God
No, I want to suck poo poo forever and ever but have 1 incredibly telegraphed trick to knock people out from downtown: Kazarov, A Card Literally Nobody Remembers

You can go combo with Rakdos 2 also with him, ancestral statue, and either one of purphoros 1, impact tremors, nettle drone, or that dude from kaladesh who pings when an artifact etbs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's actually funny how much more difficult it is to try and "effectively" blink Kroxa than it is to just Worldgorger Combo kill the table with him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Aesthetically radical, Functionally neutral: Blood for Bones is a blink

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Enchanter's Bane, obviously

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

pseudanonymous posted:

My brother plays a surprisingly effective Anje madness deck

I want to see the cards that are in this, because

Framboise posted:

New Chainer is pretty loving cool. Would kind of like to build a more casual deck with him sometime.

I'm also spitballing a list for this, already got the foil Chainer to lead it. might try to go modern-legal but maybe not, because when am I gonna get to play Cauldron Dance ever again?

separately

Bust Rodd posted:

Conjurer's Closet

Bust Rodd posted:

Claws of Gix

some of y'all never played monocolored casual EDH and it shows

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Also gargadon

Edit: nm

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've got a casual ish UW blink deck that hasn't been updated in 6 years. I noticed that it's pretty threat lite. Other than Agent of Treachery, what are some win cons I can throw in? I don't really have the desire to pour through 6 years of releases to look for options myself.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Rescue from the Underworld isn't good, but it is kind of a blink effect in black. I run it in my casual Teysa Karlov deck, where getting triple value out of it just about justifies the atrocious CMC.

Toshimo posted:

Do you want to Always Be Turning Dudes Sideways?

YES: Smolivia, Exava, RAKDOS II
Yes, but I want to be bad at it: Greven
No, I want to do dumb combo poo poo (but also yes, I want to punch people in the face): Grenzo, Chainer, Garna, Scorpion God
No, I want to suck poo poo forever and ever but have 1 incredibly telegraphed trick to knock people out from downtown: Kazarov, A Card Literally Nobody Remembers

A buddy of mine runs a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck. It's very good, but very uneven. Like, it either goes off and smacks everyone with Eldrazi before anyone has their poo poo together, or it absolutely explodes on the launch pad. I've piloted it once and it was tons of fun, win or lose.

When I played standard and extended 20 years ago, suicide black, mono-red Sligh, Ensnaring Bridge burn, and R/B aggro were my poo poo. I've been playing commander for a couple years now and I have yet to build a RB deck that appeals to the aggro player in me. K'rrik scratched the suicide black itch, so at least there's that, but that's almost more of a storm deck in black. Aggro just sucks so hard in commander, and I say that as someone who will turns dudes sideways to win pretty often. I've thought about Judith, Garna, and Grenzo as aggro commanders, but I've never really put energy into it. :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Railing Kill posted:

Rescue from the Underworld isn't good, but it is kind of a blink effect in black. I run it in my casual Teysa Karlov deck, where getting triple value out of it just about justifies the atrocious CMC.

A buddy of mine runs a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck. It's very good, but very uneven. Like, it either goes off and smacks everyone with Eldrazi before anyone has their poo poo together, or it absolutely explodes on the launch pad. I've piloted it once and it was tons of fun, win or lose.

When I played standard and extended 20 years ago, suicide black, mono-red Sligh, Ensnaring Bridge burn, and R/B aggro were my poo poo. I've been playing commander for a couple years now and I have yet to build a RB deck that appeals to the aggro player in me. K'rrik scratched the suicide black itch, so at least there's that, but that's almost more of a storm deck in black. Aggro just sucks so hard in commander, and I say that as someone who will turns dudes sideways to win pretty often. I've thought about Judith, Garna, and Grenzo as aggro commanders, but I've never really put energy into it. :shrug:

I genuinely believe the answer to aggro in Commander is Tribal. Any deck that''s just, like, Jund-style value creatures with no internal synergy isn't gonna cut it if your plan is to smash face. I think you need stuff like Edgar Markov or Wort, Boggart Auntie and their various lords and buffs and synergies to have a chance of mustering 120 table damage. We may finally have enough cards for Minotaur Aggro//Staxx in Rackdos, that seems worth exploring.

Like you could run 98 Rakdos cards in Edgar Markov + Smothering Tithe and that deck would probably be ok lol.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Edgar is a great commander if you wanna run aggro because he also enables aristocrat combos too if you want to have more ways to soften up/kill opponents on.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I genuinely enjoy my Greven deck at casual/high power tables. It's so common to just one shot people with him.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely believe the answer to aggro in Commander is Tribal. Any deck that''s just, like, Jund-style value creatures with no internal synergy isn't gonna cut it if your plan is to smash face. I think you need stuff like Edgar Markov or Wort, Boggart Auntie and their various lords and buffs and synergies to have a chance of mustering 120 table damage. We may finally have enough cards for Minotaur Aggro//Staxx in Rackdos, that seems worth exploring.

Like you could run 98 Rakdos cards in Edgar Markov + Smothering Tithe and that deck would probably be ok lol.

Oh yeah. :doh: I do have an Edgar Markov deck, and it's basically this. I guess this is as close to aggro as I have, and it's RBw.

Framboise posted:

Edgar is a great commander if you wanna run aggro because he also enables aristocrat combos too if you want to have more ways to soften up/kill opponents on.

I have a pretty healthy bloc of aristocrats stuff in there, given that a ton of the good creatures for that are vampires (Blood Artist, Cruel Celebrant, Falkenrath Noble). It's not a dedicated aristocrats deck, but it can swing pretty hard in that direction if need be. The free tokens more often get sacrificed to Ashnod's Altar et al than used for anything else, but that's my habit as someone who has probably too many aristocrats decks. I have Meren, Edgar Markov, Teysa Karlov, and Marchesa the Black Rose all built. I just can't stop killing my own creatures. :emo:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shadow225 posted:

I've got a casual ish UW blink deck that hasn't been updated in 6 years. I noticed that it's pretty threat lite. Other than Agent of Treachery, what are some win cons I can throw in? I don't really have the desire to pour through 6 years of releases to look for options myself.

Something like this? https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-02-20-blink-and-youll-miss-it/?cb=1582256116

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bust Rodd posted:

Literally in the most recent set, Blood Aspirant. You sweaty jockstrap. You syphilitic horse.

e: also, Skophos Warleader

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 21, 2020

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

So I just started playing on Discord at PlayEDH and have had a blast so far with one minor exception that I’d be interested in hearing feedback about.

We were playing a mid-power game with Feather, Muldrotha, Kess (me) and Gisela in that turn order. Feather is on the board and has a good amount of mana. I’ve got a solid hand with Kess and can likely kill someone when it gets to my turn but Muldrotha is starting to snowball and will be a problem for me. Gisela swings their commander into Feather and casts an Embercleave which would be for exactly lethal commander damage. I have a Mana Drain up (everyone knows since I Merchant Scrolled for it T2) and ask Feather if he wants to owe me one great big giant favor redeemable by me at a time and place of my choosing. He quickly agrees since he’s dead otherwise and I mana drain the Embercleave. Gisela immediately salt scoops and goes off about how you’re not supposed to intervene on another player getting killed etc. Feather goes on to kill Muldrotha on his turn then I kill Feather on mine and wrap it up.

Was I way out of line with that Mana Drain? In my mind I figured the best shot of winning was if it came down to just me and Feather which is exactly what happened but man this dude was so pissed about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That is exactly what politics is for, that’s the nature of casual EDH. if theycan’t handle that they should take theirBoros angels deck and go play solitaire

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LeafHouse posted:

So I just started playing on Discord at PlayEDH and have had a blast so far with one minor exception that I’d be interested in hearing feedback about.

What platform?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, LeafHouse did nothing wrong.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I think PlayEDH uses webcams mostly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/thekristenemily/status/1230622612251955200?s=21

We have the names of the 2020 precons

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LeafHouse posted:

Was I way out of line with that Mana Drain? In my mind I figured the best shot of winning was if it came down to just me and Feather which is exactly what happened but man this dude was so pissed about it.

for my money, the only thing you did wrong was ask for a favor explicitly. "I need Feather not to die" is as good a reason as any to throw a counterspell

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

LeafHouse posted:

We were playing a mid-power game with Feather, Muldrotha, Kess (me) and Gisela in that turn order. Feather is on the board and has a good amount of mana. I’ve got a solid hand with Kess and can likely kill someone when it gets to my turn but Muldrotha is starting to snowball and will be a problem for me. Gisela swings their commander into Feather and casts an Embercleave which would be for exactly lethal commander damage. I have a Mana Drain up (everyone knows since I Merchant Scrolled for it T2) and ask Feather if he wants to owe me one great big giant favor redeemable by me at a time and place of my choosing. He quickly agrees since he’s dead otherwise and I mana drain the Embercleave. Gisela immediately salt scoops and goes off about how you’re not supposed to intervene on another player getting killed etc. Feather goes on to kill Muldrotha on his turn then I kill Feather on mine and wrap it up.

I couldn't roll my eyes harder at "you owe me a big giant favor redeemable at any time"... that sounds like he's effectively conceding to you but playing on your behalf, which is lovely. Regardless, it doesn't really sound like you needed to call in the favor. "Don't kill me on your turn now that I've left myself exposed for you" is definitely a fair deal, which is basically what happened.

But the Mana Drain was probably a good play regardless of politicking. A 6-mana Mana Drain is a good play, and you correctly identified that Feather was the least threatening player to you, and Gisela and Muldrotha were bigger threats that you might not be able to deal with, and you picked a line of play that put you on top.

If anything, the Gisela player scooping hosed up the game. He obviously had a strong board position and Gisela herself is a crazy powerful effect. If he was still in it, Feather couldn't have gone all-in on Muldrotha (or vice versa). It would still have been anyone's game, but the power vacuum disrupted everything.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I don't have a big problem with this example, but having the deal contingent on something later/outside of the game is a little nervy. Like someone else said, there's no reason the deal couldn"t have been couched as, "I'm going to keep this player alive because that gives me my best chance" because that was the case. This is better because it keeps the deal in-game.

Aside from that, anyone getting salty about countering finishers isn't using counterspells or table politics right in this format. You did the right thing, and the Gisela player can pound sand.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I absolutely didn’t read “in the time and place of my choosing” as an OOG thing but just a goon-ish way of saying elsewhere in this game you’ll need to do me a solid, considering that they are playing over discord and not IRL.

Otherwise that would just be, like, actual bribery i.e. cheating.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

What platform?

Paper with a webcam. Not great for complex board states or opponent graveyard interaction but I’m finally getting to use all those decks I built!

Bust Rodd posted:

I absolutely didn’t read “in the time and place of my choosing” as an OOG thing but just a goon-ish way of saying elsewhere in this game you’ll need to do me a solid, considering that they are playing over discord and not IRL.

Otherwise that would just be, like, actual bribery i.e. cheating.

This is correct.

I was just quoting The Office when I said that, it was in a joking tone and he said something like “how about I won’t kill you on my next turn” to which I replied “good enough for me.” I certainly didn’t want any actual out of game favor or anything like that.

LordSaturn posted:

for my money, the only thing you did wrong was ask for a favor explicitly. "I need Feather not to die" is as good a reason as any to throw a counterspell

I’m curious about this though, is explicitly asking for a favor frowned upon? I’ve had opponents negotiate deals like “I’ll kill his X if you kill this guys Y” or agreements to not pay for each other’s Rhystic Tutors which seem like basically the same thing.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 21, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yo, that is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LeafHouse posted:

I’m curious about this though, is explicitly asking for a favor frowned upon? I’ve had opponents negotiate deals like “I’ll kill his X if you kill this guys Y” or agreements to not pay for each other’s Rhystic Tutors which seem like basically the same thing.

Those are all totally normal for low power tables, but I’m 100% serious when I say all you had to say was “I don’t want the Gisella player to have an Embercleave” and no EDH jury on Earth would convict you.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Those are all totally normal for low power tables, but I’m 100% serious when I say all you had to say was “I don’t want the Gisella player to have an Embercleave” and no EDH jury on Earth would convict you.

Yeah that was a big reason I countered it too since I had no way of removing it once it hit play. Probably should have just left it at that but I have a feeling the dude would have been salty either way since he had been complaining about Feather all game already.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Politics is fair play. No rule against it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would have actually scooped as the Feather player because the game was already over for me. If that's the kind of play that is going to keep me alive, the game is going to drag out way past the point of my personal enjoyment. I would rather start another game and play two shorter games as opposed to one longer game.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Unless you're playing heavy stax or prison control, decks simply can't pack enough counterspells and/or removal to control literally everything that might cause a problem. Instead, you hold up your counters to protect what is going to win you the game, or counter poo poo that will lose you the game. Doing that usually takes a bit of table politics, which shouldn't be too much to ask from a commander player. The format is multiplayer, and I've never understood people who try to bar it entirely. I can understand some folks being more adverse to it than others, but no one should act like it's against some kind of unwritten rule. There's a thousand 1v1 formats in this stupid game for idiots, so folks who get butthurt about table politics can go play Pioneer.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LeafHouse posted:

this is strictly from my perspective and not trying to describe EDH Culture, but I love politics and I hate deals. I just refuse to promise anyone anything.

some of this descends from long experience playing with one or two teenagers at the table: sooner or later every young person needs to learn that if a person has power over you, you can't bribe them with something you already gave them. "why are you killing me? I didn't blow up your sword last turn!" "because killing you is the best way for me to win the game"

I generally want to play the game as it exists on the table, which means that accords like "we're not hitting each other" are a natural outgrowth of "going in on you would leave me open to dying in this other way". a lot of excess talk and negotiation usually indicates a weak or vulnerable position. doing explicit dealmaking can also be time-consuming and tends to be disrespectful of the player trying to win just by playing his cards.

in the case you described before, "I'll save your life but you owe me one" is at best totally unnecessary - you ARE saving their life, for self-serving reasons, and if they happen to do you a solid later, so much the better. if I'm Feather there I'm going to tell you to make up your own mind, because if I see a way to kill you and win, I'm taking it

in the case of "I'll kill his X if you kill this guys Y" it's mostly a question of wording: "I'm dealing with his X, but I can't/can't also deal with this guys Y" and then let other players decide what they think. "hey guys, this guy's Y shuts off my deck/synergizes dangerously with thing Z over there" also fine.

it's just a matter of nuance and tone. I don't generally get mad about other players making deals, at most I make a point to make them break the deal or just kill them both anyway, because that's how I live

Gisela guy does sound pretty incorrect, though. it's fine to be annoyed about dealmaking imo but Mana Drain on Embercleave is a perfectly solid play. "I don't want to have to deal with you having Embercleave" is totally reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

In VTES, table politics is much more baked into the game (as is it being multiplayer). The unwritten but universally used rule about deals is to hold up your end of the bargain. You can wheel and deal all you want, and you can even try to be sly about wording ("I agreed to two turns of no thrashing your minions, but we never agreed about your other resources"), but you can't outright break a deal. As long as everyone holds words sacred, then people generally feel more able to deal and be politik without things getting salty. As far as I'm concerned, as long as people are doing this and keeping deals in-game, then they can do whatever they think they can get away with in Commander. Frankly, this part of the game is why I play this format and don't play 1v1 formats anymore.

Deals should also be specific, concrete, and finite. Like, "I won't attack you next turn," as opposed to something vague like, "I'll go easy on you later."

I'm getting kind of into the weeds a bit here, but politics also requires good faith on the part of the players to play to win. The second you get Pillowfort McStaxman with no win con making deals just to delay his inevitable and well-deserved (in-game) beatdown, then the whole benefit of dealmaking is out the window.