Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

HerraS posted:

What does Shirahoshi's dad have to do with the fact that no planet has ever been called Poseidon

Neptune is called Poseidon in Greek/Greece.

Also when looking this up I learned that the planet Neptune’s name is translated into “Sea King Star” in Japanese, which I guess is why some translations use the term Neptunians for Sea Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Speaking of, does Imu's name have a reference to a celestial thing?

Not that I can find but it can mean dream or illusion, it’s also an anagram of Umi (sea)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mraagvpeine posted:

One of the meanings of "mu" is emptiness... like outer space!

Anyway, drat what a chapter! I appreciate that he didn't leave us on a cliffhanger right before the big break. At least, not a new cliffhanger, technically we're still hanging from that Egghead Island Incident cliff. Really excited to be introduced to a new group of Elite Government Agents, I can't wait to see what sorts of quirky personalities and powers they have. And all the 5 Elder Planets power! When Oda gets back with perfect vision, we're gonna be in for a wild ride.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Neptune is called Poseidon in Greek/Greece.

Yeah, I guess it's a pretty big flub for Oda to have specifically called the one that is central to a different culture/race of people than the rest of them by the name used by a different culture of people in real life. Smh

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I, for one, was shocked that the bald dude is named Ethan.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If the Five elders aren’t also immortal I wonder if they’re former God’s knights

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 8, 2023

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Okay, let me rephrase this. In the chapter, they said that there was a "Saint Imu of House Nerona" and I'm wondering if Imu Nerona/Nerona Imu might be a reference to a celestial thing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope we get to see the Big Hat next month, I’m worried about him

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eiba posted:

I did not remember that name from that movie at all. Looking it up apparently the Elder Stars were speculating if Uta was a member of that family. As speculation it's very unclear what concrete information can be taken from it. It seemed plausible, but by no means certain that it was Shanks' name.

But I guess that's splitting hairs because we now have another piece of circumstantial evidence (God Valley and Figarland) on the other side and Shanks being a Figarland right in the middle, so it's pretty certain at this point.

Shanks' dad being a major villain makes sense. Exciting stuff!

The reasoning is something like...

The Five Elders (mistakenly) believe that Uta is Shank's child by blood, and believe that she might be from the Figarland family as a result. Of course, Uta is Shanks's adopted daughter, and does not share his lineage. Ergo, the actual Figarland is Shanks.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i dont know how things havent felt rushed to me yet with developments seemingly exponential week after week lol

actual magic trick poo poo

i had zero clue about the name thing with shanks and the second i saw that dude i was like 'thats shanks' dad'

sometimes you just know

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
no elaboration on the elders or imus freaky shadow stuff from last chapter yet but i agree with whoever said they hope theres no devil fruit in play and theyre just on that ff12 occuria vibe

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lol he got a moon head

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

mac tonite lookin rear end motherfucker

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Okay, let me rephrase this. In the chapter, they said that there was a "Saint Imu of House Nerona" and I'm wondering if Imu Nerona/Nerona Imu might be a reference to a celestial thing.

its not a celestial reference in the astronomical sense, but I(イ) and MU(ム) can be squeezed together into the kanji 仏, which means Buddha.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Paper Lion posted:

mac tonite lookin rear end motherfucker

Moon Man murking someone for not being enough of a racist piece of poo poo. Yeah, that tracks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

His name is Mac Tonight, not Moon Man, and he's not racist, he just wants you to go to McDonald's after 6 for dinner!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is all part of Oda's long-time plan to collaborate with McDonald's.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

His name is Mac Tonight, not Moon Man, and he's not racist, he just wants you to go to McDonald's after 6 for dinner!!!

His name is John Garrideb, and he lives in Victorian London so it's better than even odds that he's horrendously racist.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What is the turnaround on official colored manga? Do they come out in large chunks? Is there any regularity to that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

its not a celestial reference in the astronomical sense, but I(イ) and MU(ム) can be squeezed together into the kanji 仏, which means Buddha.

If you meet Imu on a Road Poneglyph, it would be necessary to kill them.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Nerona could be a reference to Nero?

e:

Nero in japanese can mean "Go to sleep"

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 8, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, it's a reference to nero, the cp9 apprentice that has only appeared one time.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Eiba posted:

I did not remember that name from that movie at all. Looking it up apparently the Elder Stars were speculating if Uta was a member of that family. As speculation it's very unclear what concrete information can be taken from it. It seemed plausible, but by no means certain that it was Shanks' name.

But I guess that's splitting hairs because we now have another piece of circumstantial evidence (God Valley and Figarland) on the other side and Shanks being a Figarland right in the middle, so it's pretty certain at this point.

Shanks' dad being a major villain makes sense. Exciting stuff!

I think the thing that nails it down is that his closing line is basically the polar opposite of shanks' whole philosophy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, it's a reference to nero, the cp9 apprentice that has only appeared one time.

But what an appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fse2yVypqPc

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Why the heck is the 4kids Nero vs Franky age restricted

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
frankys a pervert

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

an implied speedo is far dirtier than an actual speedo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1667006361941712896?s=20

God, the Chopper mascot's head is somehow LESS bulbous than the actual Chopper

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

yes yes more more

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1667212718754115584?s=20

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to remember this one shot being quite solid but also making me quite sad for how Shokugeki ended

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TheKingofSprings posted:

I seem to remember this one shot being quite solid but also making me quite sad for how Shokugeki ended

Its kind of funny to go back and reread this now that molecular gastronomy has proven to be a ridiculous fad

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

I think we can rule out Buggy, and seraphim at this point

gently caress that, I wanna see what an actually competent Seraphim can do with that bottom-tier fruit. Bring on the crazy poo poo like the particle breakdown move baby :black101:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The chop-chop fruit would be an amazing fruit for a haki-proficient user or someone with exceptional physical attributes like a seraphim/lunarian. Sadly, as buggy demonstrates, it alone cannot carry you in power

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You'll all be laughing when Buggy uses his Conqueror's Haki

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If seraphim Croc doesn't have sand powers since Logia powers are difficult to copy, what other power would be a good second choice?

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mraagvpeine posted:

If seraphim Croc doesn't have sand powers since Logia powers are difficult to copy, what other power would be a good second choice?

Man car door hook hand