Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Montreal Olympics. Got to see France/Mexico and USSR/North Korea in Ottawa.

Also got to see Pele, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer on the Cosmos around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
"I will love it if we beat them! Love it!" is the first football thing I remember.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
My dad taking me to see Hibs in 1992 is my first clear footballing memory. I'm pretty sure they lost shockingly enough.

I definitely remember Italia 90 going on when I was 5, but I can't remember any of the actual football. I watched 94 obsessively though.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I vaguely recall playing organized football for the first time at the age of six, just before starting school.

As far as watching it goes, I think I was somewhat aware of Norway - England 2-0 happening in 1993 because everyone was talking about it, but I'm not sure I actually saw the game. I think the first game I ever went to was Norway - Denmark in 1994, at the age of seven. I was something of a Manchester United supporter at the time partly because I was aping one of my older brothers, and partly because I'd visited Old Trafford the year before, and I think I remember getting disappointed with Peter Schmeichel because he got very angry about something. I thought he got a yellow or even red card, but I've just looked up the game in both the Norwegian and Danish football associations databases and neither one has a record of that, so I must be misremembering. Norway won the game 2-1, so that was pretty cool.

I remember watching some of the 1994 World Cup, but I don't remember caring all that much about it. The 1998 World Cup was the first big football event that I cared about personally, and I was actually at the Norway - Brazil game where Norway came back from a 0-1 deficit to win 2-1 and advance from the group stages in a World Cup for the first and only time. That's pretty much the biggest moment in Norwegian football history, which I didn't fully realize until much later.

Sigh, Norway were actually worth watching in the 90s.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

tetsman posted:

Italia 90 and the panini sticker album.

This pretty much.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Zidane headbutting Materazzi.

I didn't care about football or even sports until 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Here's a couple, since I don't remember which came earliest:
-Playing soccer in the same club as my older brother when I was about 6 or so. He was pretty good (he went on to play in his high school's soccer team), I was unmitigated poo poo but I still had fun.

-My brother and I playing a FIFA videogame (I forget which) because he was always trying to beat me in it. I was pretty crappy at that too since I was still only 6 but my goalie was good enough that my bro decided to quit. You go, virtual goalie :unsmith:

-As far as actual FIFA matches go, my earliest memory would probably be in summer camp during the 2004 final. There were a few French kids in my group who were kind of annoying so I supported Italy out of spite since i didn't know any better about the teams. Everyone in the camp came together to watch the game in a relatively tiny TV. Everyone also had their cheeks painted in the Italian/French flags.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyone else here going to cop to having been to matches in the First Division, before Sky invented football?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTayts24pM

I still can't quite get used to the idea that Arsenal play lovely attractive football and all the neutrals want to see them do well. When I was young they were second only to Millwall in the "clubs that nobody likes" stakes, and the best skills on display were Tony Adams's mastery of the block tackle and the offside trap. And it had pretty much been like that ever since Herbert Chapman died.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
I went to a game at Anfield and broke my cousins finger accidentally.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

starksfergie posted:

Actual old person memory.... I was 11 when my brother flew back to San Antonio from East Texas, we went out to lunch and then headed home to catch the 1982 World Cup Final on NBC. I remember it being something "special" for NBC Sports at the time. I vaguely recall the big orange "Naranjito" mascot being shown (not sure if that is a more recent memory though) and don't really recall any of the game itself other than the result. Didn't see football again until the 1986 World Cup but I watched a LOT of it on Univision and pretty much fell in love then. Have watched football pretty regularly since then. I even think the World Cup inspired an excellent friend of mine to put together a pickup team after the '98 World Cup, we were appropriately called the Worst Team Ever and I still have my jersey to prove it, heh

That dude sounds cool as poo poo. Also sexy and like a funny poster. Also post the jersey I lost mine :(

My first memories playing were in 1st grade in the sand but I was good enough to play with the second graders.

My first memory watching; I played with an Italian kid and his dad owned a pizza place in the mall across from the movie theaters and after games we would go there and he played video tapes of the 82 World Cup (this was 82) and I was mesmerized.

Later that dude got thrown in jail for selling coke lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My first memory is going to something called the "torneio inicio" in 1983 at Mineirao in Brazil. Torneio inicio was a single day preseason tournament where teams played matches with 15 minute halves. I've been to Mineirao some 200 times since, including a match where a 16 year old Ronaldo destroyed then-Uruguay national team captain Kanapkis.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCbz-kRNhI

Italy's Tassotti breaking Luis Enrique's nose with an elbow to the face in the WC 1994 quarter-final. Luis Enrique was bleeding all over his shirt, but the ref didn't see it and Italy went on to lose to Brazil in the final. This was in the last minute of extra time and Italy were 2-1 up, so the resulting penalty (and red card for Tassotti) would have given Spain a good chance to reach their first WC semi-final ever.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

straight up brolic posted:

I watched a ton of football growing up with my uncles and played the sport, but I can't really remember anything too vividly because I smoked a ton of weed in highschool and killed my long term memory. The first "intense" memory that I have is watching the 2006 WC Final when I was 14. I remember pacing around the room during shootout and my family going loving mental and me being kind of sad because, despite being Italian, I idolized Zidane and wanted to see him succeed.

Yo what the hell I thought you were like 35.

My first memory is also from the '06 World Cup, but it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIGD52O9qQ

Before this I was genuinely a "DONT talk to me about SPORTS" kid but I've not been able to stop watching or playing foot since that moment.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
I remember 87-88 having a season ticket with my dad and going to most of the Millwall home games when we got promoted, then the following year in the first division finishing 20th WOOO, we also played Liverpool at least 3 times that season which was definitely weird to me since they were a BIG TEAM. Italia 90 was another big one then my next big memory is the final game at the old Den everyone storming the pitch and trying to chip out bricks to take as souvenirs.

I'm old I guess.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Italia 90 definitely. I think I probably played in school before then, but just typical schoolyard games where everyone chases the ball like headless chickens. Italia 90 was amazing though, the whole country just went mental. In school we were all assigned a country from the World Cup to do a report on, I had Yugoslavia. We played against England and Kevin Sheedy scored. I can barely remember my own name sometimes, but I never forget that Packie Bonner saved a penalty from a Romanian lad called Timofte to put us into the quarter finals.

First match I ever went to was a testimonial at Lansdowne Road around 1995, Liverpool v UCD. I think it was Ronnie Whelan's?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Trin Tragula posted:

Anyone else here going to cop to having been to matches in the First Division, before Sky invented football?

My dad took me to Sunderland matches in the late eighties, early nineties, but I was too young to remember anything from them now except a big wall of noise and fragments of football.

The first time I can really definitely remember a specific moment was:

bubblegumbo0 posted:

My earliest memory was Roberto Baggio doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voT5W9Doa-s

I remember this one pretty well too, as well as being 2 stickers off the complete album for 94/95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYt3iNWau0

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Nottingham Forest 2-2 Liverpool, New Year's Day 1990, on the telly back when you could get the footer on terrestrial TV. The Match Live! Classic days. Two Ian Rush goals and I still picked United instead. Owned son.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

hecko posted:

Mine is that weird shadow at the Estadio Azteca in 1986

Holy poo poo, close to my first memory! I remember the final of 86 and my father being pissed off about the result. Watched on ABC 7 in New York.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I distinctly remember my first training session at 8, first game at 9, first trophy at 10 and first being taught how to kick a ball properly at 11. Non-stop parade of titles and cup-wins right up till I was 15. Perhaps I peaked too early.

All I remember from Italia 90 was a little hot wheels car with the logo on it, but I had all the posters from Match and Shoot magazines for the 92 Euros. Die hard Denmark plastic, me.

Genuine first memory is Leeds on the telly when I was maybe 5/6.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
There wasn't a ton of football to watch growing up so my first footballing memory was playing recreational ball when I was something like 6 years old. Our team went undefeated that year and yes, we did get a trophy for that. Things came full circle when I was 14, in my last season of rec, when our team didn't win a single game. I'm pretty sure it was the latter experience much more so than the former which put me on the shameful path that led me here.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
1994 World Cup - went to my hometown stadium to see Sweden lose to Brazil in the semi-final. Don't really remember how I felt about the match but I thought it was a little odd to see football played in the place where I had watched a lot of American football before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTDRGl19xU4

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Probably watching Bulgaria v. Mexico in the 1994 World Cup. I had watched Mexico throughout the group stage but this match is the most memorable.

I remember people chanting, "ˇBulgaria va probar, el chile nacional!" over and over.

Mexico was eliminated in the penalties. It was a good start to a life of heartache.

My grandfather hates football with a passion and I remember him getting so much joy out of Mexico's failures.

Me as a young TM: "ˇBulgaria va probar, el ch-"
Grandfather: "Inútiles! No sirven para nada!"

Memories.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Trin Tragula posted:

I was part of a pre-match on-pitch presentation for Oldham Athletic vs Luton Town in the First Div - 11/4/1992. I had to look up the date but I knew it was Luton. There was some kind of school exchange thing and we had another primary school team come up from Luton and stay the night with us in the school. We smashed 'em in a friendly game and myself and their captain then went to the match and stood in the centre-circle before kickoff.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I ever found that on youtube.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Trin Tragula posted:

We went to England with my team when I was 13 and went to Highbury to see Arsenal - Southampton in 92.

Ian Wright scored a bunch of goals.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Last ever match in front of the North Bank, that was. Bet you didn't stay for the sit-in afterwards.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
This was my first or second time at Lerkendal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGNJriFj5tQ

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Bogan Krkic posted:

My first memory is also from the '06 World Cup, but it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIGD52O9qQ

Before this I was genuinely a "DONT talk to me about SPORTS" kid but I've not been able to stop watching or playing foot since that moment.

For some reason I have a really vivid memory of watching this game too.

It's not my earliest, as I posted before, but it's kinda funny that I have such a strong memory of a match between two countries I have no connection to.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I remember this one pretty well too, as well as being 2 stickers off the complete album for 94/95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYt3iNWau0

Probably my earliest football memory is crying when this happened.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Deciding what to get for my first football shirt. I spent a very long time deciding between this:

Or this:

Using this as a reference:

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

My first memory was going to see Shelbourne vs Man U at Tolka Park sometime in 1995. Even though it was only a friendly, I was amazed that Shelbourne managed a 2-2 draw.

Bruce, Irwin, the Neville's, Keane, McClair, Beckham and Scholes played that day and I was most excited about seeing Lee Sharpe. loving hell.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I remember Jack Charlton's Ireland beating Italy, and going crazy. Then I think David Batty and Faustino Asprilla playing for Newcastle and scoring a great goal. And leaving the pub at half time Champions League Final in 1999 because football was boring and United were going to lose, and the people I was with were all united fans and it was depressing to be around them.

Then I don't think I actively paid attention to football until United beat Arsenal 8-2, and I started watching obsessively.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Von Linus posted:

I remember Jack Charlton's Ireland beating Italy, and going crazy.

The Ray Houghton goal?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

WanderingKid posted:

The Ray Houghton goal?
Yep, and 80 minutes of Paul McGrath giving a defensive masterclass.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I remember basically nothing of the game or the 94 world cup but I can remember that goal clear as day. Its weird.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HytwZoFp-o

EDIT: and that loving 1994 Panini album, which I almost bloody completed, but I never got the Irish reserve GK (gently caress off Alan Kelly just gently caress right off).

Also Baggio's penalty scarred me for life and I'm not even Italian. Football is a cruel, evil game.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 16, 2014

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Wengy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HytwZoFp-o

EDIT: and that loving 1994 Panini album, which I almost bloody completed, but I never got the Irish reserve GK (gently caress off Alan Kelly just gently caress right off).

Also Baggio's penalty scarred me for life and I'm not even Italian. Football is a cruel, evil game.

You're Swiss, so that comes with the territory.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Eh, we're still doing better than the EMNT

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's two for me. The earliest thing I can physically remember happening in football was Fowler scoring 5 goals against Fulham in the Cup, that was 1993. The most clear thing in my mind from that era though is definitely the Cantona kung-fu kick. I didn't see it live but I remember sitting on the floor watching it on the news and being unable to comprehend why he did that to that man.

I don't remember the 94 World Cup but I do remember the computer game for the Sega Megadrive.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Vague memories of Manchester United v Middlesborough on TV. Then very clear memories of the 5-0 loss against Newcastle. I was sitting on a bean bag.

The first actual game I would attend live in person wouldn't be until years later at a Serie C 0-0 bore draw. It was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Doing poo poo training drills in the park with my 10 year-old team and learning how to pass to the coach's kid (who was admittedly our best player).

• Locked thread