Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Why was their diplomacy text acting like they were giving you money?

e; Oh jeez, update at the bottom of the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
When you've gone as far west as possible where else can you migrate to? :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

dublish posted:

I was just wondering at what point settling becomes a better option than migrating.
Honestly, if the Roxolanians hadn't become homing missiles, the Ostrogoths could've kept on migrating for a fair while longer.

Grizzwold posted:

Why was their diplomacy text acting like they were giving you money?
I just took it as the Romans acting like haughty motherfuckers and that even asking you for money was them doing you a favor.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

dublish posted:

I was just wondering at what point settling becomes a better option than migrating.

You can only get higher tier units after you've settled and it's the key to creating an empire, but generally most people will migrate for a while and save up money (somewhere in the 50-100k cash range), as settling down is quite expensive. Iberia is considered a good place to settle down, due to being far away from most of the conflicts that happen in the world.

On a side note, should our current position become untenable, we can pack our bags and migrate again. As a Great Migrator (the same as the Visigoths, the Vandals, and I believe the Alans), we get a bunch of growth points every time we settle or pack our bags.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I figured it was a glitch, too. All of that is what they usually say when they offer money.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You can only get higher tier units after you've settled and it's the key to creating an empire, but generally most people will migrate for a while and save up money (somewhere in the 50-100k cash range), as settling down is quite expensive. Iberia is considered a good place to settle down, due to being far away from most of the conflicts that happen in the world.
Haha, yeah, about that. We got about 15k.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh. Ouch.

At least it's a walled city. Easy to defend.

Preid
May 22, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Great stuff so far, I'm quite intruded intrigued by your twist on the classic paradox mega campaign. I hope you don't mind me asking, but is there any particular malus associated with packing your bags and moving to greener pastures, and if not then would you mind elaborating on why you've chosen to make your stand here?

Edit: typographical error, sorry. Posting at 5 AM before going to sleep was a mistake.

Preid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 1, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Gallia? Aww, that's boring. I wanna go to egypt, or arabia, or maybe show those haughty Sassanids a thing or two!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

NewMars posted:

Gallia? Aww, that's boring. I wanna go to egypt, or arabia, or maybe show those haughty Sassanids a thing or two!

Wait until you meet the neighbours. Just across the channel there's probably fun stuff going on between WRE, rebels and locals. In my games coastal towns were often raided by proto-viking factions. Franks will probably hate you, and there are all those other assholes that want to visit you once a while. And fighting Sassanids is a massive hassle - they are rich, stable, have tons of allies that all have 2-3 stacks and your troops will end up depleted by many desert "death zones". Carthage or Egypt are totally doable though, but a bit boring.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Preid posted:

Great stuff so far, I'm quite intruded by your twist on the classic paradox mega campaign. I hope you don't mind me asking, but is there any particular malus associated with packing your bags and moving to greener pastures, and if not then would you mind elaborating on why you've chosen to make your stand here?
Lugdunum truly was chosen in part because I wanted walls and a garrison to back me up when the Roxolani attacked. The walls also gave me an extra turn for the army at Vesontio to run back down, because the Roxolanians didn't have any siege or field artillery with them and therefore couldn't assault me on the turn they arrived at the walls.

I'm also happy to take the opportunity to kill France in the cradle.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm also happy to take the opportunity to kill France in the cradle.

DOWN WITH FRANCE, AQUITAINE FOREVER!!!!!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've said it on chat and I will say it again: You should settle in Egypt and adopt the Ankh as the national flag.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ZearothK posted:

I've said it on chat and I will say it again: You should settle in Egypt and adopt the Ankh as the national flag.

Starting the game as Gothicized Egyptian Muslims would be pretty cool I guess. :allears:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Eh, I'm happy where we ended up, its a nice position for all kinds of fun a historical shenanigans.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Eh, I'm happy where we ended up, its a nice position for all kinds of fun a historical shenanigans.

It's also never been done (that area). At first I was afraid we would be in the Greece/Anatolia area like every other paradox LP, but that quickly and spectacularly did not happen.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 6: De Administrando Regno Novo

We have occupied Lugdunum, Caput Galliae, the capital of the Gauls. Though it was an act of necessity, we've now got a home for ourselves at last, and we're content to settle in.

Roman Gaul is rapidly falling apart, so we're in a prime place for expansion! If we can knock the Franks out of Gaul, that is.

We've also landed in a modestly decent spot for us, both for agricultural and religious reasons. Lugdunum has fairly average fertility. It's also almost equally Latin and Arian Christian, with nearly a third of the province being some form of pagan or another. In such a religiously varied region, we can hopefully make a secure home for Arianism.

As for Lugdunum itself? Despite our choice to peacefully occupy the city, its buildings did suffer a little damage. Moreover, they're all Roman buildings, most of which we can't use that well. There is a still-standing rally field, which, if repaired, we can use to recruit our own Roman Gothic cohors and levis armaturae. They're not the strongest units we could possibly field, but the cohors are very well armored, so at least there's that. Lugdunum also maintains two forums for some reason, so we opt to maintain one of them and tear the other down.

Being landed now, we can also begin concerning ourselves with the administration of territories. King Vithericus' brother, Geilamir, isn't doing anything at the moment, but he's a fairly loyal man and we want our ruling family to hold onto as much power as possible, so we appoint Geilamir governor of Lugdunensis. With an appointed governor, we can issue edicts, and choose from a couple of options regarding province growth, taxation, or conversion to Arianism.

But we also have more immediate concerns to address. Lugdunum is a great city, but it doesn't produce much food, and we currently control no other towns and no farmlands at all. The people are starving!

The easiest and first thing we do is choose to build a farmstead where that Roman forum once stood. It's far more important to not starve to death than it is to maintain Roman architecture.

For a longer-term solution to the starvation problem, we march one army back up to Vesontio and commence besieging the city once more, while the other leaves Lugdunum to seize the unfortified town of Octodurum. The more territory we control, the more places we can farm, and the more food we can produce.

The royal treasury is also a concern. We did not arrive in Lugdunum with much money, and the city is draining our coffers further. While working on taxation and improving our industry helps, we can also reach out to our new neighbors and see if we can work out trade deals with them. Trade will bring more money to us both, and may help establish positive relations as well.

It turns out that both the Alamanni and Suebi to our east are positively ecstatic to deal with us, and agree to military deals alongside our trade offers. What good fortune!

The Gauls, sensing our solidifying position, take the initiative and offer us a deal. How can we refuse?

All told, the trade agreements help us solve our financial problems. We'd started off fairly badly in the red, but those deals, combined with repair work and the expansion of our territory into Maxima Sequanorum, mean that our deficit disappears over the course of a season.

And our building program pays off, too! By the end of 404, our food shortage ends and any sign of famine cannot be found.

Our progress does not go unnoticed! The Roman breakaway state of Hispania, centered in Corduba and surrounded by Western Roman lands, has taken note of our growth, and... declares war on us. How charming.

Still, to reach us, they'd have to cross the Western Roman territories in Spain and then... hey, what's that dark green in western Gaul?

Ebdanians? Ebdanians? Roman Gaul really has fallen apart quickly. And that's not the only thing changing, either!

The Visigoths have converted from Germanic Paganism to Latin Christianity. We're Arians! Sure, we've been hoping for a while that they'd see the light, but why did they have to convert to the Romans' sort of Christianity? Pfah! We know who our true friends are, anyways.

It's during this time of growth and recovery for us that the Roxolani decide to attack again. Before they can hit one of our cities, however, we decide to strike them.

Our initial position is halfway up a hill in a forested, snow-covered area. We decide to shift our troops uphill, and to reorganize them in the usual three-column manner.

At the commencement of battle, we're not actually sure where to go. There's no Roxolani to be found! The trees in front of us may be blocking our line of sight, but who knows for sure? We proceed ahead slowly.

Ah, found them! They were hiding in a second row of trees, behind the first set. Our men charge ahead quickly to engage the Roxolani at close quarters, before their cavalry can really start running around and being a nuiscance.

We outnumber them and we've caught them at close quarters. They crumble quickly, and the battle draws to a close.

While we are good at fighting a battle quickly, we are lackluster when it comes to saving our mens' lives. Nevertheless, a victory is a victory, and the point of this battle was to rough up the Roxolani and encourage them to leave, not a desperate do-or-die battle for survival, so we can afford the bloodshed.

Our nomadic nemeses have been defeated yet again, our realm has trebled in size, and our financial and nutritional crises have been resolved. This is the way to administer a new kingdom!

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Well this is good.

Oh god, does religious tension cause as much unrest as cultural tensions do in Rome2? This is going to be messy if it is.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Maybe trade names with the Visigoths? You're going to confuse amateur historians centuries from now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

dublish posted:

Maybe trade names with the Visigoths? You're going to confuse amateur historians centuries from now.

Francogoths!

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Rincewind posted:

Francogoths!
Gothigauls

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I liked "Gaulths", personally.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Omnigoths.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Gothigoths. Byzantium. Srbja. French.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2015

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Ostrogauls?

...okay, I got nothing.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Burgothy?

Trans-Gothine Gaul?

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Gothigoths. Byzantium. Srbja. French.

Woah there buddy, let's at least try and keep things within the realm of reality here.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Goth-Darnits!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you'd only settled on the coast of Gallia, we coulda been the Ostrolix. Alas, alas.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Out of curiosity, what year does Attila end?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I think "Gaulgoths" sounds better.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dublish posted:

Carolingoons (Carolingoonian Empire)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Perkygoths.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

I think "Gaulgoths" sounds better.

At this point I think it would be better if we started calling ourselves the OstroGauls. Sure it might piss off the natives but we are in east Gaul.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 7: Recuperatio (Winter 404 - Fall 409)

Having defeated our dear foes, the Roxolani, a second time, we choose to opt for peace. Even though we bested the Roxolanians in the field of battle, they still insist upon exacting payments from us. We're far more keen to gain peace from these nomads than we are to continue waging war against a people who have nothing we can conquer, and so we assent to their terms.

Shortly thereafter, we recieve an emmisary from our notional friend, Italia. They've noticed that we're at peace with the Roxolani while they are at war, and were wondering if we'd be so kind as to join them in battle against the Roxolanians?

Naturally, we tell them to gently caress off. That Helvetius Lupus fellow isn't the brightest Roman, is he?

A lot of Romans don't seem that bright, come to think of it. While we're still fuming over the Italian request, we recieve word during the summer of 405 that our erstwhile ally, Dacia, has failed to maintain its own independence, and has been reconquered by the Eastern Roman Empire.

They helped sap the Eastern Romans' strength when we needed them weakened, but now we're far enough removed from Eastern Roman lands that their revival does not concern us.

One faction that does interest us are the Visigoths. Even though they have joined Latin, not Arian, Christendom, they are still our brothers, and we are interested in their survival and welfare. We'd be happy to help them out and give them our support, if we could just find them. Where are the Visigoths now, anyways?

Our brief excitement at the prospect of a Visigothic Egypt in 406 fades after they are soundly defeated by a roving Eastern Roman army later that same year, alas.

One last faction of interest to us are the Franks. Unlike the Visigoths, who we like and are far away, the Franks are close by. Very close by. In fact, most of Gaul that doesn't belong to us belongs to the Franks! They control a strip of territory along our western border, from Lugdunensis south to Narbonensis.

No one German should have all that power, especially if he isn't an Ostrogoth! It's about time we consider building up our armed forces a bit.

Actually, yes, building up our armies would be a very good idea, given the way things are going. Over the course of 407 and 408, we recieve several distressing messages regarding the fate of various peoples.

Although some of these peoples, such as the Magyars, are insignificant easterners and probably would never have amounted to much anyways, we get one horrendous shock in 409 with news regarding the Visigoths in Egypt.

Requiescat in pace.

With these alarms urging us on, we decide to act. We establish a third army, initially based in Lugdunum. The city is home to the only Roman military building in our realm, and we begin churning men through it as best we can. King Vithericus is so enthusiastic about the project, he assumes command of the fresh unit, and proudly dubs it 'The Gothic Legion'.

The main line is comprised of Legio soldiers, men trained in the same manner as Rome's legions. Backing them up are Comitatensis spearmen, likewise trained in Roman methods, alongside traditional Germanic crossbowmen and cavalry units. The Gothic Legion's mere maintenance puts a horrendous burden on the kingdom's revenues, but King Vithericus is quite happy with it, and keen to see it used.

With half a mind on the growing power of the Franks in Gaul, and half a mind on seeing the Gothic Legion in action, war is declared on the Franks during the spring of 409. The Legion marches from Lugdunum south to the Frankish-controlled city of Aquae Sextiae, in Provincia, and begins to lay siege. A second army is sent west and north out of Lugdunum, aiming to disrupt Frankish operations in Aquitania and hopefully encourage the Franks to not send all their troops against the Legion in the south.

The plan does not go off smoothly. Our scouts hadn't noticed a Frankish army near Aquae Sextiae when the Gothic Legion started the siege, and now we're outnumbered. Running doesn't help. poo poo.

Time for a battle!

And thank god for southern Gaul's geography. Our starting position is halfway up an incredibly steep hill. We opt to position our troops further up, near the crest. We want the enemy marching as far as possible, as uphill as much of the time as possible. They outnumber us, but if we can get them tired before any blood is even drawn, then hopefully our high-quality legio troops will be able to wallop them.

Despite our commanding position, we see nothing at battle's start. It takes a fair chunk of time before we spot any of our Frankish enemy's troops at all, but eventually a few units appear far off in the distance, somewhat off our right flank. The full Frankish army reveals itself, and all we can really do is stand and wait.

Our gambit to stand and wait for them to reach us seems to pay off. By the time Frankish troops manage to get within reach of our line, they're already crossed more than half the map, climbing uphill the entire way. Our crossbowmen have been subjecting them to withering fire during that time, as well. The Franks' troops begin to crack almost immediately.

And the cracks in the Frankish army cascade at a marvelous rate! Each Frankish unit that flees allows some of our men to turn into a flanking maneuver against other Frankish units already engaged in battle, and each Frankish unit that flees makes the other Frankish units more skittish and prone to flight themselves. The Frankish line begins to break from these pressures, and we're able to split the enemy army into two bite-sized pieces.

The Franks' rout is nearly complete when we finally spot the enemy's general- he had never engaged in the fight at all, and had stood far back from the front lines throughout the battle. Coward!

Our victory over the Franks is complete! The Gothic Legion, outnumbered, handily defeated a larger Frankish army, and did it so thoroughly that songs will be sung of this day for generations to come!

And with that matter out of the way, we resume our siege of Aqua Sextiae. Their garrison was depleted in the earlier fight, and so a direct assault on the walls is easy. Upon capturing the city, despite the gold and blood spilled, we opt not to permanently occupy the town, as then the Legion would be tied down with pacification duties when there's still so many Franks left out there to pacify. We choose instead to liberate Septimania from the Franks' clutches.

Even though we haven't actually conquered Gaul yet, with Frankish power seemingly broken, who else is there in Gallia to stop us in the Year of Our Lord 409?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've also updated the prosopography up to chapter 7 here, if anyone's interested.

Is anyone interested? I could just slap a link to it up in the OP or the second post or something and then shut up about it.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Who on earth is ruling Italy? Some Roman splinter group?

And look to the north. I think that's the Longbeards? They've got a fair amount of territory.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Who on earth is ruling Italy? Some Roman splinter group?

And look to the north. I think that's the Longbeards? They've got a fair amount of territory.
Yeah, that's just the 'Western Roman Separatists' civil war/rebel faction. They split off from the WRE and then conquered most of Italy. I think they've even resettled a few razed provinces.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

I've also updated the prosopography up to chapter 7 here, if anyone's interested.

Is anyone interested? I could just slap a link to it up in the OP or the second post or something and then shut up about it.

I'm interested, but that's mostly because I love keeping track of that stuff myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Ofaloaf posted:

I love reading it. Of course I'm also about to get my Master's in early medieval history so I may be slightly biased and the only one.