Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The thing about Reina is that she starts slow but gets absurdly powerful later on. The cornerstone of most of her builds is her Godhand weapon buff and the Reckoning skills in her magic tree. The thing about her reckoning status effect is that it debuffs armor and increases any further divine damage, so slap on the armor in the Abandoned Garden than D_W skipped and apply the Godhand weapon buff, and Reina will be able to tear through anything with your bare hands,

Speaking of Luck, even though the game says that STR increases HP it's actually Luck that boosts HP the most. This is particularly relevant for Reina as (equipment spoilers) Honest Davion sells the Fighter's Bandages, an accessory that boosts unarmed damage the higher your HP is, making Luck her best damage stat in the mid-to-late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 07 - Wyatt - Sewers :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Yy5GYLdJA

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly don't remember whether Luck affects crit rate at all, I keep thinking it's all about item drops - if it does, it's less than agility.
edit: There is also an item that outright doesn't drop unless you have at least 5 luck and the chances of getting it from enemies increase with the stat.
Which is a pain in the rear end because the game never tells you this and it's used in crafting a lot of the good stuff.
Some of this game's design decisions are completely baffling.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
About the fight with Distahn. You mentioned status effects revealing him, but that's not the main way to do it. Within the room, there are 2 leaky pipes, one on each wall. If you hit both, they'll break, and flood the room with knee high water. At that point, you can track Distahn since all his movements just cause big fat splashes of water to appear. You can still do this after the fight if you want to show it off.

Lozzo feels like such a weird addition. He's a pretty pathetic boss no matter who you're playing. Honestly, I think he's easier than Azudor, or at least the same difficulty. It's weird that he's placed so late in the game.
Also I really like Bolverk. His damage is pretty good and the damage buff is not inconsiderable. Plus he's the only aligned assist in the game, boosting the demonic side.

Simply Simon posted:

Some of this game's design decisions are completely baffling.
You can easily get through the game without ever getting a single accessory and that's all what coins are used for so it's not that bad. Honestly some of their drawbacks just don't sit well with me really.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think Fire Sword buffs your reg attacks against angels just as Ice Blade buffs it against demons. Though I don't blame you for sticking with the Dark Rain.

Kakal
Mar 3, 2008
(Me four days ago) Oh sweet someone's doing an LP of this game. Maybe I'll pick it up again after I decided not to finish that Wyatt run. (Couple days and videos later) Motherfucker. THAT'S where they put the goddamn double jump. I spent the new update as Wyatt going through over half the drat game without it. Well thanks for clearing that up OP and thanks for the good videos. I got this game in a humble bundle a long time ago and I think its a real good game (including for the price I got for it). Also, the new may update added so much into the game, it's insane.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Any idea when the next video will be coming? I picked up with game a while ago and I suck really badly at it. Its awesome to see someone who knows how to play it blast their way through. :D

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 08 - Wyatt - Engineers Palace :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8X7wKe1muc

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Any idea when the next video will be coming? I picked up with game a while ago and I suck really badly at it. Its awesome to see someone who knows how to play it blast their way through. :D

10 Days after you posted this.

Sorry for the long time between updates. I've been busy with other stuff. There's not very many episodes left in the main run. The Vlad run should be pretty short too since it'll likely be heavily edited and likely won't feature every optional boss or area.

D_W fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 15, 2015

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Oh man, I got this game way back. I remember when Reina reigned supreme as the best character due to her Light magic.
Because someone thought that a spell that cleanses status debuffs and blocks all damage for a second or two, and knocks enemies slightly off their feet, was a good idea.
The spell was also cheap to use.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

D_W posted:

:siren: Update 08 - Wyatt - Engineers Palace :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8X7wKe1muc

10 Days after you posted this.

Sorry for the long time between updates. I've been busy with other stuff. There's not very many episodes left in the main run. The Vlad run should be pretty short too since it'll likely be heavily edited and likely won't feature every optional boss or area.

Sweet!

I've never gotten far enough to see this area before. Look pretty annoying though. Glad you blitzed through it in one go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Post your stats and skill tree, it'll be a lot easier for us to help you.

HOLY poo poo THEY TOOK OUT THE gently caress YOU ROOM WITH THE DAPPER ANGEL rear end in a top hat :aaa:
I hated that room more than anything else in the game. Did you know that the enemies are immune to the electricity beams? Oh yeaaaaahhh good times.

Treu is also weak to fire sword iirc. I didn't have a hard time with this fight, the level is way harder IMO. And she says "seraphic storm"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 16, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh drat, they changed the boss room up a lot! There used to be way more bullshit, basically the only way to get back to the center was to go all the way up the right side, across the top, then back down the left side. The whole time, the boss would be throwing bullshit at you, and taunting you, then you finally make it to her, and after two hits the loving thing teleports away! :argh: Then you jump down for two more hits, it teleports back to the center, and... :suicide:

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure the boss says "Seraphic Storm", and that attack loving sucked with the original room layout.

Double Edit: Although the volt shield might be kind of useless, it's better than things used to be, because that used to be the double jump. Yes, the double jump used to take up a spell slot. Yes, the double jump used to require MP. Yes, you had to wait until this loving long to get the double jump. :v: And even when you had the double jump, you'd still get zapped by those volt barriers when in this area, that is a very good change.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 16, 2015

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Question: I played this game as Reina on the second hardest available difficulty level, I think Very Hard or whatever, and then I read this thread, and it SOUNDS like I sucked poo poo as far as character-building went. I want some pros to tell me if I hosed myself over SO HARD. I hear a lot of things from people here like "it's VERY EASY to get to max level just from regular play" and I sure as hell didn't; I beat the game at level 12. (I did most of the bonus dungeons/bosses, too, so this confuses me even more/) I had three or four points in Strength, which was DEFINITELY a bad choice. I used Reina's default unarmed weapon (I am such a dope I did not find the really obvious place where the alt weapons can be bought until after I had beaten the game) and the default accessory most of the time, although occasionally I used the one that drains health on hit, you know it. I don't think I ever picked up the Fighter's Bandages, either. Hearing people say how the game can be made much easier makes me feel like 1/4 badass and 3/4 dumbass.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I somehow didn't make the connection that Reize the assist character in this game and Reize the optional boss in Shovel Knight are the same guy.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Treu's actually a boy. Doesn't come through in the design but yeah.

Anyway, good ol' Engineer's Palace. Love the super loud music. Yeah the place's a trap hellhole but I like it. Maybe it's the cramped quarters that make it so you fight the enemies closer together.
As for Treu, you'd be inclined to think he changes elevation more than he actually does. It's easy to just beat the crap out of him until he teleports out. Also when you're not on the same floor as him he starts doing this weird...taunt(?) animation, and if you don't follow him he'll jump down eventually. Seraphic Storm is probably the worst part because if you're slow on your feet the electricity beams will line up with the ledges and you'll have a hell of a time platforming.
The electric lasso is probably my favorite forward spell. There's nothing like pulling in a helpless enemy right next to to beat them up even more.

Anyway, next update probably has the most memorable boss in the game.

John Lee posted:

Question: I played this game as Reina on the second hardest available difficulty level, I think Very Hard or whatever, and then I read this thread, and it SOUNDS like I sucked poo poo as far as character-building went. I want some pros to tell me if I hosed myself over SO HARD. I hear a lot of things from people here like "it's VERY EASY to get to max level just from regular play" and I sure as hell didn't; I beat the game at level 12. (I did most of the bonus dungeons/bosses, too, so this confuses me even more/) I had three or four points in Strength, which was DEFINITELY a bad choice. I used Reina's default unarmed weapon (I am such a dope I did not find the really obvious place where the alt weapons can be bought until after I had beaten the game) and the default accessory most of the time, although occasionally I used the one that drains health on hit, you know it. I don't think I ever picked up the Fighter's Bandages, either. Hearing people say how the game can be made much easier makes me feel like 1/4 badass and 3/4 dumbass.
Well personally, I went with maximum AGI, gave her the shortest cooldown Focus Finisher, and tried to make Focus mode last as long as possible with as high of a critical chance as possible. In addition, focus on the Reckoning status effect and God Hand, as well as the attack speed buff and this

Sazero posted:

Oh man, I got this game way back. I remember when Reina reigned supreme as the best character due to her Light magic.
Because someone thought that a spell that cleanses status debuffs and blocks all damage for a second or two, and knocks enemies slightly off their feet, was a good idea.
The spell was also cheap to use.

I do believe I used the same accessory as you did, which made the Focus build even better, but I think that has since been nerfed from accessory to key item. Still, I think the build's still viable.
As for levels... Well, I'm not sure what happened, but it could be that you didn't have much luck with getting EXP multipliers. A couple x5 multipliers on big enemies can really go a long way towards getting you those extra levels.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that XP issue is *really* weird. I easily maxed out Wyatt's level before I started hunting the optional bosses.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah. The game throws XP at you. Especially toward the end. Unless you're actively trying to avoid combat, it's pretty hard not to be at max level by the end of the game. But maybe that was different in the original build of the game. I don't know.

:siren: Update 09 - Wyatt - Mana Crystal Mines :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAenFZNqcWQ

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The enemy placement for the mines seems to be entirely designed around knocking you around platforms, mostly for that escape sequence. It's pretty dickish really because they're not that tough otherwise, but fighting them without constant interruptions is annoying.

That boss fight is probably the signature fight of the game really. Before the May patch it used to be that'd you always fight Azudor and Soulrage Azudor no matter who you killed, but then they added both Possessed Distahn and Abomination to it to spice things up. Which is great because Soulrage Azudor is an absolute pain to S rank.
On top being faster and launching fireballs whenever he feels like it, his palette is shaded pitch black so it's hard to tell if he's blocking. And for each quarter of his health he loses, he creates a clone with all the same abilities as him so that by the end, you're basically fighting four of him running around, dodging you and throwing fireballs. Although they all share damage and health so if you land a good AoE you can finish him off super fast.
By comparison, Distahn's gimmick is just his old arsenal, but now he does a lot more Silence and Curse (no healing). He also has that tornado move that's kinda easy to escape.

The Abomination is less threatening than it looks really. It only has 4 attacks, which come with the same status effects as Distahn. It has a tornado at melee range. It shoots waves along the ground (multiple when its health is low), can throw four crystals that track your last position, and it has an exploding projectile it throws above its head if you try to stay above it and pelt it with ranged attacks and spells.

It probably also has one of the longest themes in the game. This track takes forever to loop and you're likely never to hear it in its entirety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHAgU8BsZw

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

HGH posted:

That boss fight is probably the signature fight of the game really. Before the May patch it used to be that'd you always fight Azudor and Soulrage Azudor no matter who you killed, but then they added both Possessed Distahn and Abomination to it to spice things up. Which is great because Soulrage Azudor is an absolute pain to S rank.
On top being faster and launching fireballs whenever he feels like it, his palette is shaded pitch black so it's hard to tell if he's blocking. And for each quarter of his health he loses, he creates a clone with all the same abilities as him so that by the end, you're basically fighting four of him running around, dodging you and throwing fireballs. Although they all share damage and health so if you land a good AoE you can finish him off super fast.
By comparison, Distahn's gimmick is just his old arsenal, but now he does a lot more Silence and Curse (no healing). He also has that tornado move that's kinda easy to escape.

Soulrage Azudor was actually made worse in the May patch. As you said, previously his clones all shared the same healthbar so if you hit two or more with a launcher and an aerial combo going you can at least finish him off before he does too much damage to ruin your S-Rank.

Well apparently the developers considered that a flaw, so they changed it up so that at certain damage milestones Azudor just jumps to the top of the arena, throws up an energy shield and summons up two to four clones with the same moveset that DON'T share a healthbar with him, and the real Azudor doesn't become vulnerable until his clones are dead. I basically refuse to fight him post-patch.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah this place sucks without that antivenom. Those skulls are huge pricks who constantly knock you off into the poison water and those platforms crumble if you look at them funny.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hey I just want to give you folks a heads up that the next video should be out either saturday or monday. I just finished recording it and the uneditted footage is almost 47 minutes so it'll be a long one! But I'm real glad at how well I did against the two bosses. My goal is too have about 2 or 3 videos lefts after the next one so they should be pretty long as well. There's a lot of optional content and bosses that are going to kick my rear end. One, in particular, I'm really dreading. Another I've never fought as Wyatt.

HGH posted:

It probably also has one of the longest themes in the game. This track takes forever to loop and you're likely never to hear it in its entirety:

I just wanna say the composer really when out of his way for this game. Not only is there a lot of music that most people will probably never hear, but all the pieces are fairly well developed and 3+ minutes long. My only criticism is that he over utilizes the main theme's melody. It appears in just about every piece and by the end of the game you kind of tire of it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, I adore musical leitmotifs in games and even then feel the theme of Valdis is a bit too omnipresent. Like, it didn't have to be a part of the Demon and Angel boss music, who could probably have a better identity with their own musical cues.
Well, actually, I do believe there are two or so demon related tracks that quote the same section. And the Ferals have three or so tracks with a noticeably shared melody too.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

My only criticism of the music is that he really could have done more with different changes in beat and chorus and such for specific boss themes. Having the music change up, maybe speed up or become more frantic as the boss timer ticks through S, A, B, etc. would be pretty loving awesome.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 10 - Wyatt - The Ziggurat :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkgnKlPqNNE

( sorry this took so long. Life stuff + MGSV )

D_W fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 9, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I like the Ziggurat(keep its music in mind) but there's some real nasty loops you can get stuck in with those spikes, and fighting the Void Warlocks gets tough on higher difficulties because of their teleportation. The Spiders in particular are some of the nastiest enemies in the game. They can just bounce you around, juggle you, escape from your own attacks easily, and toss you into a pit. It used to be insufferable. Also I think there's an item or chest beneath the pit it spawns over?
Gernot isn't that special but for some reason I've seen some people fail to do much damage to him at all. I think he has better armor/health than most bosses. It's really weird. Love the Void sword buff you get though, almost as much as the lasso.
SirPancakes can screw you over on his first level finisher. There's a chance for a blue skull with a jester hat to show up and it'll completely drain you mana.
Now that your luck is so high (from both level ups and that S rank), drops are raining down left and right. It's really a significant improvement. Also, I think you missed a coin chest on the mercenary's screen it's hidden in the left wall after you climb.

The Manawar is a neat boss. It's not hard to avoid its attacks, but it hits like a truck at times. Also, I'm not sure of this, but I think it can hit itself with its own firebombs which do a lot of damage? I've only seen it once but it basically took a ton of inexplicably high damage. Could be its resistances changing that made it take the damage by accident.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Yeah, so you didn't actually need to gather all that poo poo, we just wanted to see if you're serious". The plot. Ugh.

Manawar is a pain in the rear end and it's pretty telling it's the easiest of the optional bosses. It has an annoying habit of using the poison spinny attack at the worst possible times, too.

Oh, and it's tama - hagane. If it helps, "hagane" is Japanese for iron or metal or something like that.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

HGH posted:

Also, I think you missed a coin chest on the mercenary's screen it's hidden in the left wall after you climb.
I've had others mention something like that so I'll check it out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, the "destroyed town" theme is really melancholy. That's some good music design.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, and it's tama - hagane. If it helps, "hagane" is Japanese for iron or metal or something like that.

No, it's not. Tamahagane was the Japanese word for sword steel, it's the best quality they could get out of the crappy iron Japan has. Take a look. It's used to craft Katanas, and by nerdlords who fantasize about slicing things in half. In reality it's actually not nearly as good as the types of sword steel in other parts of the world, but my animes say that it's the best kind of steel and so games like to put it in as the best kind of steel. :japan:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yyyeah, the article even says "hagane" means steel. Admittedly, the word I originally meant was "gane", mostly because I vaguely recall seing stuff like "kurogane" and "shirogane" - black and white metal, meaning iron and silver respectively, in other Japanese games.
Basically neither of us is entirely right or wrong.

edit: Point I was trying to make is that he keeps switching the g and h when pronouncing it and dividing the word like this could help. It's just a nitpick anyway.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 2, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh, my bad! I was focusing on spelling, not pronunciation, haha. :sweatdrop:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The loss of respec dude is actually really harsh. You have little reason to go to that part of Tagram, so it's unlikely you'll talk to the Elder before the dude puts his plan into action.

Keep in mind that Manawar is actually way harder than DW made it look like; poison in this game normally drains your MP as well as your HP.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah. Happening to have a some time left on my poison resist really made that fight much less of a hassle. It was *totally* intentional route planning on my part.... TOTALLY.

In terms of updates, I'll be trying to get something together sooooon. I've been having some life issues that have made me loss a lot of motivation/time to work on this LP. BUT I should be starting a new job soon and not have to worry about some stuff so, hey, maybe this will even be completed without a major PC breakage or becoming homeless. :shittydog:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

D_W posted:

Yeah. Happening to have a some time left on my poison resist really made that fight much less of a hassle. It was *totally* intentional route planning on my part.... TOTALLY.

In terms of updates, I'll be trying to get something together sooooon. I've been having some life issues that have made me loss a lot of motivation/time to work on this LP. BUT I should be starting a new job soon and not have to worry about some stuff so, hey, maybe this will even be completed without a major PC breakage or becoming homeless. :shittydog:

Both of those things not happening would be awesome. Take as much time as you need man.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

D_W posted:

Hey, pseudo-hobbies shouldn't take priority over Important Real Life Stuff. Good luck, D_W!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Just a bit of an update about updates. I did get that new job and now don't have to worry about money so a lot of stress has gone away. Which means I've started doing stuff for this LP again. There should be a new update by Halloween. It may have ghosts in it come to think of it. Regardless, I hope you folks like optional bosses.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

D_W posted:

Fishes do, indeed, drop items. They don't drop anything that's super rare or unique, and I believe they all drop the same stuff as most feral enemies. Still it's does seem like they have a higher drop rate, but maybe I'm just lucky.

A bit late, but sometimes if you see a gold fish, it'll drop an ancient coin. Used to anyway.

Just finished the game this morning with an Agi Wyatt build. Took a few tries to murder the boss needed for the alt weapon early, but having +50% crit rate for most of the game between it and the crit armor was pretty fun. For the earlier convo, Luck does affect crit and a few other stats, but nowhere near as much as boosting the primary stat would. After the various playthroughs though? Strength seems like the shittiest stat since the damage boost can be mitigated pretty easily.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 11 - Wyatt - Tainted Lab, Sunken Prison, and The Hallow :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dfgpum31GU

This video took a while to edit since I had over an hour of footage. Some will make it into a bonus video later this week. (It'll be about assist characters mainly.)

Other than that expect to see the final video, hopefully, by the end of the month. I want to get it out before Thanksgivings. However I expect one boss to give me a lot of trouble since I've only ever beat her once and that was with an exploit that was on a different character and is no longer in the game. However I did not know the wonders of lightning chain then.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One aspect I feel EndlessFluff dropped the ball on is including an accessory for farming. Especially how the game can be somewhat dependent on it.

I...want to like the Grey Knight armor, and I sort of do. After all the hoops you have to jump through to get it it, I admit it is a worthwhile reward. But I just feel it demonstrates an issue with the combat system. Namely that enemies can mercilessly stunlock you and you can easily lose a shitton of MP in no time. And the worst part is that you don't really have any easy way to replenish your MP. Yeah you have your MP subtanks, but those are a finite resource and it feels like a waste to pop them on trash mobs.
OTOH I guess if you made it take less of your MP per hit it would make the game too easy.

So you no longer need to equip the Book to kill the Eyes? Cause man, fighting them with that thing on was haaaaaaarsh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Tama in Tamahagane is pronounced "Tahma", and The Hallow is pronounce the same way it is in Halloween.

SSNeoman posted:

I...want to like the Grey Knight armor, and I sort of do. After all the hoops you have to jump through to get it it, I admit it is a worthwhile reward. But I just feel it demonstrates an issue with the combat system. Namely that enemies can mercilessly stunlock you and you can easily lose a shitton of MP in no time. And the worst part is that you don't really have any easy way to replenish your MP. Yeah you have your MP subtanks, but those are a finite resource and it feels like a waste to pop them on trash mobs.
OTOH I guess if you made it take less of your MP per hit it would make the game too easy.

That's a thing I noticed, the game seems to want to go for a Dark Souls style combat system rewarding split second reaction timing but the spritework just isn't detailed enough for that to really work out.

• Locked thread