Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Flying Leatherman posted:

How does staying in jokephase help us find scum?

I’ve seen multiple scum get outed during jokephase and I’ve only played in like 12 games so uh not really sure what you’re driving at here

Someone make a meta case next so we can hit all the day 1 clichés

Or call for a lurker vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’ve seen multiple scum get outed during jokephase and I’ve only played in like 12 games so uh not really sure what you’re driving at here

Or call for a lurker vote

I-I know I'm relatively new on the roster here... If I had to guess, I feel despair emanating from these three the most.

Jimmy.

AA.

MMT.

Hey, hey, did I get you scum?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I know I haven't played in a long time but saying "jokephase is good, actually" from a scum hunting perspective makes me think I have stepped into the bizarro universe

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Oh I’m definitely looking, just need a bit more non-jokephase content to pounce on before making my move.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

##vote pod

He usually posts more when he’s town.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Toalpaz posted:

I-I know I'm relatively new on the roster here... If I had to guess, I feel despair emanating from these three the most.

Jimmy.

AA.

MMT.

Because you and I are essentially soulmates for play style, you have picked up my despair correctly, but only because my cars transmission is ducking up and I think I served my family recall beef and my stomach is violently sick. So life is straight up shooting lemon essence into my eyes.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don't think liking jokephase = scum; at least for me most jokephase shitposting is alignment neutral unless its a post that would be scummy even outside of jokephase

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Toalpaz posted:

Jimmy.

AA.

MMT.

I’m doing a late shift tonight so apologies I cannot post as much at the moment.

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote pod

He usually posts more when he’s town.

Ding ding ding! We’ve got a meta vote! We’ve got the day 1 cliches!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

As in all things, Too Much WIFOM.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Oh, dangit Jimmy. I meant to post my thing as a companion to my other post! Now the posts look disconnected!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
MMMmmmm

##vote Flying Leatherman

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

MMMmmmm

##vote Flying Leatherman

go on

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

Hmm, maybe games should start with a d1 no lunch n1 scum kill and games balanced to that standard.

Formalizing and streamlining the information gathering start to a game could be neaaat. I guess no one would want to participate, but you could be very fast. Like everyone has to make ten posts and the day moves on to n1. (ie: scum please don't kill me im suspect town).

Anyways I'm basically a magical girl so uh, I'm also very town. That's my epic jokephase content. Thanks for reading! I think this quality posting is typical of Humalong, and I'm not convinced this is a scumalong game yet.

This post is very weird sounding.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

I think the flying leatherman is scum

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

..................go on

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

BottleKnight posted:

..................go on

its a gut feel

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

What a riveting statement.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

##vote tired moritz

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

I don't think liking jokephase = scum; at least for me most jokephase shitposting is alignment neutral unless its a post that would be scummy even outside of jokephase

I think there's a little more nuance to it than that, though. Liking jokephase is fine, but actively trying to keep the game there after attempts to generate actual content is the part that feels shady.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think there's a little more nuance to it than that, though. Liking jokephase is fine, but actively trying to keep the game there after attempts to generate actual content is the part that feels shady.

Apart from yourself, there wasn’t much actual content being generated? It was mostly just you stating that people were suspicious for trying to elongate the jokephase. If there was more people contributing, I’d be a bit more weary, but it was just you throwing shade on Humalong and MMT and Merk possibly not!joke voting Hambeet.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Jimmy.

AA.

MMT.

I may be looking a bit too hard into this but I’m leery of the way that Toal worded this post. It feels like it was structured in a way that they can throw suspicion onto people but then just fall back on a “I’m just jokevoting/roleplaying a character” just in case they get too much heat. They also don’t expand on why the three of us have the most “despair” nor what despair actually means. Overall, suspicious of Toal but then again, this is Toal and they are always or end up always looking like scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

jimmydalad posted:

Ding ding ding! We’ve got a meta vote! We’ve got the day 1 cliches!

I was also trolling Pod, it was a two-fer :j:

##vote FL

Generally speaking, my d1 approach is to look for posts that sound town but don't feel like things town would think this early in the game. Associating anything in jokephase as "shady" (as opposed to "insignificant for the most part") feels like a fake opinion.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I may be looking a bit too hard into this but I’m leery of the way that Toal worded this post. It feels like it was structured in a way that they can throw suspicion onto people but then just fall back on a “I’m just jokevoting/roleplaying a character” just in case they get too much heat. They also don’t expand on why the three of us have the most “despair” nor what despair actually means. Overall, suspicious of Toal but then again, this is Toal and they are always or end up always looking like scum.

Hey, Jimmy!

That's quite a lot of words~ I wonder if you think you can catch scum like that? I'd say that calling 3 people scum in thread isn't really hedging at all.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

I was also trolling Pod, it was a two-fer :j:

##vote FL

Generally speaking, my d1 approach is to look for posts that sound town but don't feel like things town would think this early in the game. Associating anything in jokephase as "shady" (as opposed to "insignificant for the most part") feels like a fake opinion.

When is town supposed to think that Joke phase sucks MMT? What's wrong with being frustrated with people trying to joke, when you want to get to the meat of the game? Are you using this opportunity to push someone who seems like they're handwringing because clueless town might agree with you? That doesn't seem like real scum hunting to me, only an attempt to get content out by scum.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

I think I'd feel a lot better able to jump in if it did. I never really "get" jokephase either. I think the secret, though, is to be the change you wish to see in the world. For example, I'm going to ##vote humalong for all of the posts that he made that felt designed to meet a quota. I know it's jokephase and all, but the volume felt forced.

Hmmm

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote FL

Too genuine for jokephase

Hmmm

Okay, I'll bite. Who are your reads coming out of jokephase?

Mine are Humalong as previously described as well as ##vote MMT. The more I look at her last post, the more it feels like trying to shut down a transition into content and that leads to my strongest feeling about anyone so far.

Hmmm

I know I haven't played in a long time but saying "jokephase is good, actually" from a scum hunting perspective makes me think I have stepped into the bizarro universe

lmao u hav m8, u hav.

Anyhow... ##vote mmt

Both FL and MMT are making "good" posts but unless they are both scum bussing one another, this looks like a genuine scum versus town.

The only reason to call genuine content that isn't predicated on role information into question is if you have a reason to let it ride out.

Both FL and MMT have cases where inferred player motive is the linchpin, only MMTs looks far less reasonable in comparison.

Too genuine for joke phase isn't a reason, or all that telling about motive, but post count padding as pointed out by FL is directly attached to motive and a reasonable angle to pursue

Mmt latching on with her case reflects poorly.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote FL

I agree that jokephase posts taken as a whole are typically fairly light. I would also say that someone looking to get the actual meat of the game has to start somewhere. What gets me, though, and why I was and am suspicious of your initial post, was the attempt to pull the game back from starting to go towards content to instead go back into more jokephase.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Hmmm

Hmmm

Hmmm

lmao u hav m8, u hav.

Anyhow... ##vote mmt

Both FL and MMT are making "good" posts but unless they are both scum bussing one another, this looks like a genuine scum versus town.

The only reason to call genuine content that isn't predicated on role information into question is if you have a reason to let it ride out.

Both FL and MMT have cases where inferred player motive is the linchpin, only MMTs looks far less reasonable in comparison.

Too genuine for joke phase isn't a reason, or all that telling about motive, but post count padding as pointed out by FL is directly attached to motive and a reasonable angle to pursue

Mmt latching on with her case reflects poorly.

Care to expand on why this is a case of scum against town? I’m fairly new so I’m not wise onto the way of picking these things up, but I’m not 100% sure how to infer from just this argument that it is likely scum vs town. I’m not saying there isn’t a possibility, but I’m not 100% sure where the logic is coming from.

I can see your arguments about MMT but not sure where the throughline is for FL vs MMT being scum vs town.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

##vote MMT

It's a tale as old as time.

First it starts off as an ambiguous throw away line 'too serious for joke phase.'

That's seriously hedging Jimmy. Then the reason is explained later and shifts to 'FL is thinking scum thoughts instead of town thoughts' because the vote that could be a joke vote is becoming a push and MMT needs to save face and come up with a reason for arguing with FL now.

I think town would have dropped that convo, and I like AA's case.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
It could be bussing, but that just feels like such an opportunistic scum move to make...

Content is too genuine for jokephase so they have to be scum.

If it was prescient in some way, I'd agree, but nothing fl says is indicative of demonstrating knowledge extraneous to what we would all know.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ugh, I need to get over my tendency to hedge

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

It could be bussing, but that just feels like such an opportunistic scum move to make...

Content is too genuine for jokephase so they have to be scum.

If it was prescient in some way, I'd agree, but nothing fl says is indicative of demonstrating knowledge extraneous to what we would all know.

Or artificial sounding for that matter.

It's a case of the pot calling the kettle black in that regard.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My question for MMT being scum was that if it was the case that she was trying to curb discussion or cut off the momentum that FL was building with his vote on Humalong, what reason would she have to stop that momentum? It wasn’t like she was being suspected. She only came into question after making that post. If she was trying to cut off momentum to vote off a scum bud, it feels like a risk to stick your neck out like that and it wasn’t like the momentum that FL was building was significant enough to risk worrying. I don’t think MMT is the type of person to be twitchy and overreact to suspicion being thrown on their scum buddy.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

jimmydalad posted:

My question for MMT being scum was that if it was the case that she was trying to curb discussion or cut off the momentum that FL was building with his vote on Humalong, what reason would she have to stop that momentum? It wasn’t like she was being suspected. She only came into question after making that post. If she was trying to cut off momentum to vote off a scum bud, it feels like a risk to stick your neck out like that and it wasn’t like the momentum that FL was building was significant enough to risk worrying. I don’t think MMT is the type of person to be twitchy and overreact to suspicion being thrown on their scum buddy.

So from my perspective I think you are drawing a connection that isn't there. I am not saying that MMT was trying to protect Humalong, just that her post was meant to discourage content posting in general. The content I posted isn't relevant except in the context of trying to move the game out of jokephase.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yeah I see it as a vote of opportunity. It doesn't have anything to do with Humalong.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ohhh, I think I’m getting the picture. I’m happy to put my vote in that direction. #vote MMT

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

##vote mmt

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Way to make that look super suss Jimmy.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

haha

chuchu here comes the scumtrain

hambeet