Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Maigius posted:

Is the fact at least some people saw things they weren't supposed to in discord, weird unusual meta-knowledge we can't work with or is it fair game at least for set up information?

i guess, but i can confirm all of that did indeed happen and it was indeed rly funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm not voting xopods because of that, I'm voting him because my gut says 'ayyy go vote day guy c'mon.'

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Maigius posted:

Is the fact at least some people saw things they weren't supposed to in discord, weird unusual meta-knowledge we can't work with or is it fair game at least for set up information?

i mean, 100% chance it was rerolled, so it really doesn't have any bearing or not if he's still, currently, scum

it's just a somewhat funny joke for jokephase votes, but his reaction is pretty steamy so it could become real vote hours

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Chic Trombone posted:

i mean, 100% chance it was rerolled, so it really doesn't have any bearing or not if he's still, currently, scum

it's just a somewhat funny joke for jokephase votes, but his reaction is pretty steamy so it could become real vote hours

I mean of course it was rerolled, but could we assume there is some sort of masonry or was the spare masonry-esqe channel just scum-chat?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Maigius posted:

I mean of course it was rerolled, but could we assume there is some sort of masonry or was the spare masonry-esqe channel just scum-chat?

it was literally just xopod's confessional channel

he was vanilla scum, so this knowledge tells us absolutely nothing about the setup

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Everyone just sitting around right now is passively contributing to a Town loss. If things remain in their current state, I'm getting lunched... I'm going to flip Town, which is bad, but whatever, Townies getting lunched D1 happens all the time. But if it's out of pure apathy you're also not going to have anything to go on D2.

People who're just hanging back need to put some content out, because there's a strong scum motivation to just not participate right now. You've got three votes on a Townie and no one particularly engaged in the game.

As a starting point, let's break the thread down as follows:

Vote leader: xopods
Voters: Humalong, Dmboogie, Somber
Defenders*: Chic, Sandwolf, flerp
Nonparticipants: Maigius, NLK

* I realize no one has outright defended me because why would they, nothing's happened yet that would give a person much of a Town read... but these three have all said something that IMO expresses at least disapproval of or bewilderment by the votes on me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like it if everyone, especially people who haven't yet cast a serious vote, would opine about where the two Scum (I think that assuming 2 is almost never wrong in a 9-player setup) would be found among those categories. E.g. "I think xopods is likely scum and one of his buddies is defending him" or "I think both scum are in the defender or nonparticipant group."

Personally, although I impulsively voted Humalong because his rationale was so obviously lovely, I think the strongest Scum motivation here is to either sit back or soft-defend me and eventually vote for someone else once it seems like I'm an inevitability. My gut is saying Chic and/or flerp and/or NLK.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maigius posted:

I'd disregard it outright because the mod has assuredly set things straight with the exception of some set up knowledge gleaned.

Then meta is doo doo cakes.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

xopods posted:

Everyone just sitting around right now is passively contributing to a Town loss. If things remain in their current state, I'm getting lunched... I'm going to flip Town, which is bad, but whatever, Townies getting lunched D1 happens all the time. But if it's out of pure apathy you're also not going to have anything to go on D2.

People who're just hanging back need to put some content out, because there's a strong scum motivation to just not participate right now. You've got three votes on a Townie and no one particularly engaged in the game.

As a starting point, let's break the thread down as follows:

Vote leader: xopods
Voters: Humalong, Dmboogie, Somber
Defenders*: Chic, Sandwolf, flerp
Nonparticipants: Maigius, NLK

* I realize no one has outright defended me because why would they, nothing's happened yet that would give a person much of a Town read... but these three have all said something that IMO expresses at least disapproval of or bewilderment by the votes on me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like it if everyone, especially people who haven't yet cast a serious vote, would opine about where the two Scum (I think that assuming 2 is almost never wrong in a 9-player setup) would be found among those categories. E.g. "I think xopods is likely scum and one of his buddies is defending him" or "I think both scum are in the defender or nonparticipant group."

Personally, although I impulsively voted Humalong because his rationale was so obviously lovely, I think the strongest Scum motivation here is to either sit back or soft-defend me and eventually vote for someone else once it seems like I'm an inevitability. My gut is saying Chic and/or flerp and/or NLK.

Hum still looks the grimiest of the xopod votes followed by boogie I think. The serious joke phase vote from hum, and the too casual boogie vote.

I'm good with either.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

We know there’s at least one masonry

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Humalong posted:

We know there’s at least one masonry

Yes.

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

with the exception of some set up knowledge gleaned.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
In any case. I've said my part. Someone else say something.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I kinda feel like Boogie is hiding behind the early "Joke" vote for xpods. A number of people saw the screwup, up boogie not changing it or explaining further makes things suspicious to me.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Did anyone other than Dmboogie actually see my original role PM? I didn't.

He says I was vanilla scum and there was no masonry, despite the channel apparently having been called "masonry-xopods."

And I would hope that if there was a masonry containing a scum which was revealed, Toal would either redesign the whole setup or at least that part of it. Because if they just reassigned roles without changing the setup, we would know that one of the masons is Scum. (Though of course we're getting into mod WIFOM territory here... would Toal leave Masons in the game but make them both Town instead? Or RNG their alignments?)

Anyway, unless 2+ people both say they saw the role PM and claim the same thing about what it said, I think we should assume that we don't actually know anything about the setup. Because the correct thing for Toal to do would be redesign the setup on the fly because it's not hard to do so for a 9-player minimalist setup with few mechanics and not much flavor. For instance, my actual role PM does have a decent paragraph of flavor but it has very little to do with my role or lack thereof beyond establishing my affiliation with the good guys.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh, I'm not going to worry at all about it to be honest. It's too speculative and even if there is a masonry. So the eff what? Some people can talk out of thread. The masonry partners, if they still exist, should just stay quiet until they are fairly sure each of them aren't scum, assuming it is an unconfirmed masonry.

Outside of that, toal will do toal and I'm just here to catch scum.

I think boogie does look a little worse in hindsight. I like Mai's point and it's what I was picking up, but was more randy for humaluma.

##vote booglord

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I saw your role PM and saw you were some Duchess or Lady or something. Beyond that all I saw was that you were vanilla scum. I immediately notified the amazing and skilled mod about this error caused by, undoubtedly, Discord and not at all an error on the mod’s part.

Then a few of us joked about how we were all part of the xopods masonry because we could all see your confessional. We also joked about turboing you day 1 for any flimsy reason because Toal would do something insidious like not actually reroll everyone’s flavor. Everyone’s confessionals were visible yours was just the first one Toal posted in.

That’s the joke explained to death and now I have to ##unvote because I didn’t want to give away the joke but welp it’s done now

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The problem with dunking xopods is that he actually posts v0v

I still do have a weirdly strong gut read on pods but I can't justify it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sandwolf posted:

Why is xopods -2 again

I don't like this sort of check-in post. It doesn't say anything but gives the appearance of participation.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

flerp posted:

i guess, but i can confirm all of that did indeed happen and it was indeed rly funny

This one is worse though

##vote flerp for being around without saying anything

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
bro i just woke up

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
xopods said a lot of words to say "i think 33% of the game might be scum"

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I feel the same way about flerp but at the same time, "around and posting but not really saying much" kinda describes his overall meta.

Either way though, I've never seen a game in which he was either easy to read or particularly useful to Town, so I think he'd be an alright D1 lunch.

Last few posts from NLK look alright so I retract him from my shortlist. Town feels from Somber. Maigius looks like a slightly confused newbie, which is good.

Unsure about boogie and Sandwolf.

I'd be good with Hum, flerp or Chic.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

##unvote because i am done paying my respects

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
wow rude

anyways im incredibly useful if u just do the opposite of what i say

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

xopods posted:

I'd be good with Hum, flerp or Chic.

Why chic?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Actually, those flerp responses to Somber came in while I was posting and I failed to preview. Those are both bad posts.

flerp posted:

bro i just woke up

He's not accusing you of lurking today, he's accusing you based on the (lack of) content in your posts previously.

flerp posted:

xopods said a lot of words to say "i think 33% of the game might be scum"

This seems like an attempt at deflection and a poor one. Narrowing one's suspicions down to about a third of the player list is a perfectly reasonable starting place. Obviously I don't think everyone I named is going to turn out to be scum, but at this stage that'd also be true if I'd named only two players, cause it'd require a lot of luck to name the exact two scum on D1.

##vote flerp

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sorta similar to what you're saying about flerp... posting but not really contributing. Except add to that a bit of "too friendly" vibes and also kinda trying to slowly work their way around to voting me:

Chic Trombone posted:

i think there's something to be said about xopods hangin at -2 for as long as he is too tbh

granted the thread is slower than a snail in molasses, but

I may be misunderstanding the implication here, but I think this is implying either I'm scum or at least one of the scum is voting me.

Chic Trombone posted:

And then here too.

It feels less like casing to me and more like advance excusing themselves from making a vote they know will result in a Town flip.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

It feels less like casing to me and more like advance excusing themselves from making a vote they know will result in a Town flip.

Sorry, this was badly worded. I meant "excusing themselves in advance for making a vote..."

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't disagree with your analysis on chic, just the result to an extent. I just see chic as being genuinely friendly.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
FWIW this seems like normal flerp imo. Even if meta is trash

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

As far as I can tell Chic's being friendly, but non-committal.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Maigius posted:

As far as I can tell Chic's being friendly, but non-committal.

to be fair has anyone committed to anything, it's day 1

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

xopods posted:

He's not accusing you of lurking today, he's accusing you based on the (lack of) content in your posts previously.

this same thing has happened so many times that it was more of a frustrated post than anything. im around most of the evening, nothing rly happens, and then i wake up in the morning and i see more posts that i saw in the evening and it ending on "where the heck is flerp" and then i post saying something and then theyre like "wow he's back right when everyone just started being suspicious of him." its not rly meant to mean anything except im annoyed that this keeps happening.

quote:

This seems like an attempt at deflection and a poor one. Narrowing one's suspicions down to about a third of the player list is a perfectly reasonable starting place. Obviously I don't think everyone I named is going to turn out to be scum, but at this stage that'd also be true if I'd named only two players, cause it'd require a lot of luck to name the exact two scum on D1.

i dont know how this is deflection, altho i think it was a failure to say what i wanted to say. its just that your long post about how people respond and etc ends up looking very high effort, but ends on you saying "i think these 3 people might be scum for gut reasons." it just feels like a lot of noise to look good but ends up just being 3 pretty lazy reads, esp because theyre targetted at the lower effort players. i also find myself very confused that you put wolf in the defender category, but you dont put him in the gut read category even tho i feel like he's around the same level content as us.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Alright, this was a better post from flerp. I'm not going to unvote on the basis of one good post, but there is some sincerity here.

flerp posted:

this same thing has happened so many times that it was more of a frustrated post than anything. im around most of the evening, nothing rly happens, and then i wake up in the morning and i see more posts that i saw in the evening and it ending on "where the heck is flerp" and then i post saying something and then theyre like "wow he's back right when everyone just started being suspicious of him." its not rly meant to mean anything except im annoyed that this keeps happening.

i dont know how this is deflection, altho i think it was a failure to say what i wanted to say. its just that your long post about how people respond and etc ends up looking very high effort, but ends on you saying "i think these 3 people might be scum for gut reasons." it just feels like a lot of noise to look good but ends up just being 3 pretty lazy reads, esp because theyre targetted at the lower effort players. i also find myself very confused that you put wolf in the defender category, but you dont put him in the gut read category even tho i feel like he's around the same level content as us.

I think these two things are related. You're FOSing me (or at least criticizing me?) for posting a bunch of words only to reach a fairly weak conclusion. But that's all that's possible right now and it's better than nothing.

Meanwhile, if this keeps happening to you, it's because you're trying to wait for something to happen instead of making something happen. To some extent everyone does that, but an apathetic mood is good for Scum, so when the game falls into such a lull (or begins in one) naturally the players who understand game dynamics are going to be suspicious of the people who seem least motivated to pull the game out of that rut.

So if you're just waiting for things to happen, the thing that happens is going to tend to be people getting suspicious of you. If you only become active at that point and mostly with the goal of defending yourself, of course people are going to get the impression that you don't really care what happens as long as it's not you on the chopping block.

Anyway... who do you think is Scum? Give us some reads.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I don't disagree with your analysis on chic, just the result to an extent. I just see chic as being genuinely friendly.

I have less experience with Chic than other people in the game but I don't remember them being particularly more chummy than other players of that generation. (By which I mean the same pre-Xopods generation as yourself... I started in 2010 and I believe you and Chic were already well-established by that point.)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

I have less experience with Chic than other people in the game but I don't remember them being particularly more chummy than other players of that generation. (By which I mean the same pre-Xopods generation as yourself... I started in 2010 and I believe you and Chic were already well-established by that point.)

Sorry, this post was meant to end with a question. Is your meta on Chic that a certain joviality/chumminess is normal for them?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
why do you think me and chic are bad, but youre willfully ignorant of sandwolf?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hmmm actually, i might drop this line of reasoning lol

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Chic Trombone posted:

i think there's something to be said about xopods hangin at -2 for as long as he is too tbh

granted the thread is slower than a snail in molasses, but

looking back i'd like to know what you meant by this

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Eh, I'm not going to worry at all about it to be honest. It's too speculative and even if there is a masonry. So the eff what? Some people can talk out of thread. The masonry partners, if they still exist, should just stay quiet until they are fairly sure each of them aren't scum, assuming it is an unconfirmed masonry.

Outside of that, toal will do toal and I'm just here to catch scum.

I think boogie does look a little worse in hindsight. I like Mai's point and it's what I was picking up, but was more randy for humaluma.

##vote booglord

this vote looks a lil out of left field and id like AA to expand on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Someone definitely needs to poke Sandwolf with a stick, he seems to be sleeping through the day.