Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hurray! I wonder if Android screen /desktop display mirroring/extending will be a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hurray! I wonder if Android screen /desktop display mirroring/extending will be a possibility.

Koush Dutta made a huge stink about it being available but only for Google or whatever. So it is possible but maybe everyone can do it now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Koush Dutta made a huge stink about it being available but only for Google or whatever. So it is possible but maybe everyone can do it now.

It'd be awesome to pair my Windows 8 laptop to a Chromecast and use it as a wireless display like the AppleTV with OSX.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AllCast is functional again. Koush said it only took 20 minutes to update to use the official APIs.

http://phandroid.com/2014/02/04/allcast-chromecast-update/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

AllCast is functional again. Koush said it only took 20 minutes to update to use the official APIs.

http://phandroid.com/2014/02/04/allcast-chromecast-update/

The important thing to note here is the last paragraph that users need the new Play Services. I haven't found a direct link to download that yet and Google hasn't pushed it to me yet. :(

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The important thing to note here is the last paragraph that users need the new Play Services. I haven't found a direct link to download that yet and Google hasn't pushed it to me yet. :(

Android Police have it but some report graphical glitches so it may be one of those device specific updates or something.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...h-enhancements/

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same here.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My understanding of container filetypes (like AVI or MKV) is kinda fuzzy. If the video and audio contents of an MKV file are both in a format supported by Chromecast, how do I convert the file into MP4? I want to make playback via AllCast as frictionless as possible when my devices finally get the new Google Play Services.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Karthe posted:

My understanding of container filetypes (like AVI or MKV) is kinda fuzzy. If the video and audio contents of an MKV file are both in a format supported by Chromecast, how do I convert the file into MP4? I want to make playback via AllCast as frictionless as possible when my devices finally get the new Google Play Services.
XMedia Recode can copy your streams into MP4 without re-encoding.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can AllCast connect to shared network drives?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Karthe posted:

It might help to know what desktop OS you're using if you expect people to recommend remuxing software for you.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It might help to know what desktop OS you're using if you expect people to recommend remuxing software for you.
Sorry about that, I'll be serving up media from my Windows 8 machine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do I get AllCast to work with my Google Drive? Or was that functionality removed?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
After spending way too long futzing around with AllCast and Avia+PS3 Media Server, I caved and bought a month of Plex Pass. I'm amazed at how it Just Works - after setting up the couple of folders I have everything stored in, I was able to successfully cast a few videos in my hodge podge of a collection with absolutely no issues. Point it to the Chromecast, play a video, and bam, it's streaming in the living room.

I really hope Plex plans on releasing Chromecast to everyone soon, I'm not enthusiastic about Plex Pass in the long-term. Have they give any indication of when this might happen? I haven't heard any major news about it since they announced Chromecast support in January.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Karthe posted:

After spending way too long futzing around with AllCast and Avia+PS3 Media Server, I caved and bought a month of Plex Pass. I'm amazed at how it Just Works - after setting up the couple of folders I have everything stored in, I was able to successfully cast a few videos in my hodge podge of a collection with absolutely no issues. Point it to the Chromecast, play a video, and bam, it's streaming in the living room.

I really hope Plex plans on releasing Chromecast to everyone soon, I'm not enthusiastic about Plex Pass in the long-term. Have they give any indication of when this might happen? I haven't heard any major news about it since they announced Chromecast support in January.

The only thing that's happened officially is them ignoring questions when asked on their forums after previously deleting them when brought up on the initial blog post when it all went down.

It's speculated that it may be at least 6 months as there are a lot of Plex Pass features that were supposed to be separated by now such as the ability to save videos for offline viewing. That was supposed to be made into a separate subscription but Plex Pass owners would get a discount. It's not happened yet.

Honestly, it doesn't look like we'll see public Chromecast for a while but that may not matter as the SDK is finally public. We should see more and more ways to use the Chromecast soon and Plex aren't the only ones who do local video stuff (they just do it well enough that you don't need to worry about codecs).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I agree that it will be at least 4 months out for the free casting version. The good news is if you are not invested heavily into Plex, Mediabrowser3 has beta testing for casting, and it will be open to all users, not paywalled like plex is. Keep in mind the clients are still pay though, like plex.

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-36-media-browser-ready-to-cast-stream-your-local-media-to-chromecast/

revolther
May 27, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

How do I get AllCast to work with my Google Drive? Or was that functionality removed?
I just tested this. Use a file manager like Es to add your google drive as a cloud drive, it will ask for permission to access drive, then you should be able to click videos and play with allcast. Works with drives shared on the network through Es File Manager as well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know if it's better to post this here or the app thread, but when I load up AllCast it just hangs and never finds my Chromecast.

I have the most recent version of AllCast and my Google Play Services is V 4.1.32...that should be a good enough version, right?

E: Oh, guess not...I need 4.2. :mad: I thought being on Android 4.4.2 would by default give me the most current Play Services. Guess not. :mad:

So is it pretty much just Nexus and Moto X that are on the most recent Play Services?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 7, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, it's just a slow roll. It's not really device based, it's more account based. Eventually you'll get them.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
If you want to upgrade to Google Play Services 4.2.39 right now, you can grab the APK from here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...h-enhancements/

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 7, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Karthe posted:

If you want to upgrade to Google Play Services 4.2.39 right now, you can grab the APK from here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...h-enhancements/

I downloaded that on my Moto X. Play Services crashes when I try to AllCast a video.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Karthe posted:

Occasionally the APKs for upgrades aren't universal, I don't know if it's device targeted, but I think it's resolution targeted. Using a pulled APK for an upgrade is not always the best idea. It's worth reading up on it a little and making sure you aren't getting a version that is not fully compatible with your device.

For example, a lot of people complain about Google Experience Launcher not working well on their Nexus 7 or 10, well, they are installing an unsupported APK on a device it was never claimed to be functional on.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I downloaded that on my Moto X. Play Services crashes when I try to AllCast a video.
Sorry to hear that, I loaded it on my Verizon Moto X running 4.4 and it worked fine (for the purposes of AllCast anyway).

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Occasionally the APKs for upgrades aren't universal, I don't know if it's device targeted, but I think it's resolution targeted. Using a pulled APK for an upgrade is not always the best idea. It's worth reading up on it a little and making sure you aren't getting a version that is not fully compatible with your device.

For example, a lot of people complain about Google Experience Launcher not working well on their Nexus 7 or 10, well, they are installing an unsupported APK on a device it was never claimed to be functional on.
I've heard about this problem before, but I didn't hesitate to recommend it since I've yet to experience problems with these sideloaded upgrades. My Nexus 7 handled the GEL APK just fine when that first came out, and like I said above my Moto X hasn't had any issues (yet) with the Google Play Services APK. I suppose I should add a "caveat emptor" to my sideload APK suggestions so people know that it might not work properly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also I was trying to cast a file from a network drive via ES File Explorer, rather than local media. Haven't actually tried it with a local file.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FogHelmut posted:

Also I was trying to cast a file from a network drive via ES File Explorer, rather than local media. Haven't actually tried it with a local file.

It crashes allcast on my N5 if I try to do that, there's a long way to go I think with Allcast before it's actually reliable.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to cast my entire desktop? I'm not talking about a single tab in Chrome, I'm talking about casting whatever's currently displayed on my screen.

Edit: Nevermind, that functionality is built into the Chrome extension. It's a bummer there's still no audio support, though.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Someone on a message board posted that they downloaded the Plex app and it allowed them to stream without having PlexPass. They uploaded their specific .apk to some other repository. I downloaded it and it seems to work wonderful for me. I especially love how easily it downloads all the metadata for everything.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That sounds like :filez:

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Karthe posted:

Is there a way to cast my entire desktop? I'm not talking about a single tab in Chrome, I'm talking about casting whatever's currently displayed on my screen.

Edit: Nevermind, that functionality is built into the Chrome extension. It's a bummer there's still no audio support, though.

Audio works for me with full screen casting.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

lazydog posted:

Audio works for me with full screen casting.

It's output by the PC, no?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If I've got a Pi with Raspbmc, a chromecast would be pointless right? I think the only thing it can do that say Yatse can't is stream stuff from Google Movies and TV, which is a bummer but I guess that's what HDMI is for.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Geno posted:

It's output by the PC, no?

No, all sound is redirected to the Chromecast.

I think full screen audio support may have been added just recently, but I've only had mine a few days, and it's always worked for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

If I've got a Pi with Raspbmc, a chromecast would be pointless right?
Not if you would like to properly stream youtube or netflix.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

kri kri posted:

Ah yeah, that's true. But that's where the Xbox comes in!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

kri kri posted:

Streaming youtube works great with yatse and xbmc. I only use my chromecast for netflix.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

Ah yeah, that's true. But that's where the Xbox comes in!
But then a live service subscription for one year costs as much or more than a new Chromecast. That really only applies if you're one of those people that still buys live in order to keep using Netflix - the poor devils.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Now that Google Play Services 4.2 is finally out to all Android devices as of today, the Google Play Services SDK (which includes the Google Cast API) is now available.

Previously, only the Google Cast SDK was public but that didn't really mean anything as the API wasn't. When asked why Pocket Casts wasn't jumping to be on Chromecast, the devs responded on Twitter that the SDK wasn't fully public. Now it is.

Now we should start seeing a large group of Cast-capable apps since the SDK and API are both public.

This took Google WAY too long but hopefully it still works out in their favor.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AndroidDevelopers/posts/E6hpQxaoL18

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Once there's a way to get OTA broadcasts to the Chromecast.

It looks like Tablo are planning on doing exactly that. http://www.tablotv.com

They envision the Chromecast being the device that actually plays the image on the TV.

However that's not quite what you envisioned, as you'll need a good aerial. (The Wirecutter has guides for that)

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I got a Chromecast about a week and ago and set up Plex on my various computers/devices. Casting from the iPad/iPhone app to my living room TV works great. Good video quality, very easy to use. Casting a Chrome browser tab from one of my computers to the same TV, however, not so wonderful. The video is very choppy and the resolution looks pretty bad.

Anyone have tips for casting a browser tab such that it actually looks good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Have a super beefy PC. A wired connection from the PC could help if your wifi is the limitation.

• Locked thread