Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

it's only criminal if the dropbox gets breached and this information comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:getin:

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
hmm why would you use foxit on the iphone.

https://isc.sans.edu/diary/App+%22telemetry%22/18425

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"is_jailbroken": "YES"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

is there a good source to find out if particular apps do terrible stuff like that? i remember reading that the linkedin app redirects all your e-mail through their servers, but that was a one-off news article

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

prefect posted:

is there a good source to find out if particular apps do terrible stuff like that? i remember reading that the linkedin app redirects all your e-mail through their servers, but that was a one-off news article

sadly not but i have a buddy who's working on mobile app hacking as of late looking for poo poo like this

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/kaepora/status/491650454770946049

this exchange is weird

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The build-in pdf viewers support a minimal amount of the spec. We've had to put in the adobe readers on iOS devices for construction managers. They like the markup and bookmarking features, and more stuff renders correctly

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

prefect posted:

almost every app runs some kind of analytic library, so expect pseudo-anonymous tracking of session length and other information. it's worse if advertising is involved, since they'll want location data and far more identifiable information

i'm not sure how any of it is legal wrt EU/UK privacy laws

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OSI bean dip posted:

it's only criminal if the site gets breached by a poor and then it's a crime for the attacker, not the negligent

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/beware-these-4-common-dangerous-cyberattacks-n162106 posted:

Beyond the standard advice to avoid clicking on suspect links and files, Samani suggests mobile phone users install anti-virus programs that could catch the threats.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i hear that the state of mobile anti-virus is great these days--especially on ios

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i thought av was poo poo

unless that's the joke :downs:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

meanwhile we have the head of the android security team saying there's no reason for another layer of security overtop of what they've already put in place for us

so clearly someone is not being completely honest with us the consumer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ymgve posted:

no, that's not how anything work

bitcoin:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

almost every app runs some kind of analytic library, so expect pseudo-anonymous tracking of session length and other information. it's worse if advertising is involved, since they'll want location data and far more identifiable information

man i'm surprised flurry never got hit with a massive lawsuit. i mean they used to use iphone uuids for location and allowed developers to send user locations for analytics. what a mess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

i guess i'd be happy just with a reference source for the really invasive stuff, like the linkedin e-mail redirection. it's got me afraid to install the glassdoor app now :ohdear:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
minilock is getting a per user salt!

https://github.com/kaepora/miniLock/pull/45

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
now minipass is the greatest cryptographic innovation in computing

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

for mr terry's sake i hope nadesi doesn't roll his own prophylaxis

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
off chance there are any non-olds in this thread the security team at facebook is doing a scholarship thing for defcon this year

so if you're a student or can convincingly pretend to be a student and want to get a thousand dollars to go to defcon and drink on facebook's dime pm me

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quote:

Beta 2 of OpenSSL 1.0.2 is now available, please test it now

new in this release: we publish no changelog whatsoever

we still don't have a feed for our news, changedetection.com is good enough

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

new in this release: we publish no changelog whatsoever

we still don't have a feed for our news, changedetection.com is good enough

yeah this project is going places

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
places like the garbage

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pr0zac posted:

off chance there are any non-olds in this thread the security team at facebook is doing a scholarship thing for defcon this year

so if you're a student or can convincingly pretend to be a student and want to get a thousand dollars to go to defcon and drink on facebook's dime pm me

hmm i wonder if they'll fund my BFA if i tell them i take photos of hackers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
fund my trip so I can goatse the twitter wall

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pr0zac posted:

is FB looking for new ways to harvest users' info and jack into their systems?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

api call girl posted:

fund my trip so I can goatse the twitter wall

plz fund apu call girl, pr0zac

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

i'm already getting in for free but thanks

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
i'm a problem drinker and know gently caress all about anything at all, that's close enough right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i'm a problem drinker and know gently caress all about anything at all, that's close enough right?

Better at security than nadim I'd bet

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

pr0zac posted:

i'm 21 and overweight so therefore stereotypical of almost half of all nerds

is that convincing enough?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So you're saying that you're a CTO, right?

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Volmarias posted:

So you're saying that you're a CTO, right?

sounds more like a futurist

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

goddamnedtwisto posted:

definitely sounds like an infosec worker to me

cynicism and substance abuse are our core competencies

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

definitely sounds like an infosec worker to me

cynicism and substance abuse are our core competencies

i brew beer and drink it maybe twice a week but don't smoke or do anything else

what does that mean for me then?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

OSI bean dip posted:

what does that mean for me then?

it means you havent found your vice yet (when you do it will destroy you) or you're hiding something

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
i have no power at facebook and simply want that sweet sweet referral moneys

one of the application questions is "Provide an example of an information security project that you're particularly proud of and that relates to your future goals" which "goatseing the twitter wall" would be a quality answer for so api call girl you should probably just apply and figure out how to falsify student documentation later

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

graph posted:

it means you havent found your vice yet (when you do it will destroy you) or you're hiding something

Hmm. This is concerning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

graph posted:

he lives in vancouver he'll become a heroin addict eventually. it's the law.

• Locked thread