Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder how Estelle is going to wreck this ship.
Probably the Whack-a-Mole option, with the "moles" being both the crew and the control consoles for the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Question. How the gently caress did they pay for and build this thing? I mean, a loving pipe organ on a massive airship? Do they have nobody whose job is to look at the budget and go "no, you cannot have a massive pipe organ on your flying airbase"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Simple: Weissman insisted on holding the budget meetings at the airlock.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Estelle is the best :allears:

I like how they took the "My entire village got slaughtered as a child" cliche and did something cool with it. It's not just some one-off event that no one else really cares about that's used to lazily impart a tragic backstory to the characters. It was a major event used to provoke an international incident and war and which eventually had severe ramifications on the history of the region and the people within it.

I think this is an example of why people like the world-building in these games. Events and characters and interconnected in ways that make sense and the lingering effects of these events continue to persist in ways both major and minor long after they actually occur.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's not just a pipe organ, it's a DIGITAL pipe organ.
Which means it probably controls the doomsday weapon on it.
Gotta have some class to your doomsday weapons after all.

Also Weissman has memory altering powers. Budget? What budget? It's already been spent/taken care of!

Estelle will get off this ship... One Jaeger at a time :black101:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Looming Threat-

Go get 'em, Estelle.

Wherever those maps show a red wall, you'll have to go around.

Not bad at all, but I'm sticking with the Glove Gear.

...Fine, then. You don't wanna let me by?
In that case, I'll just have to MAKE MY OWN DOOR!

So much for my career as Estelle the Wall-Crusher, I guess...
Guess I'll just have to try and find some way around.

Why does the Society of Ouroboros have like a dozen different insignias, anyway?

Someone please tell me why this thing has to be so ridiculously huge and easy to get lost in.
At this point, my only real hopes are to either find a parachute or somehow take control of one of the smaller airships...
Either way, gotta keep going!

Hold on a minute. I'm expecting guests. Let's bake up some nice hors d'oeuvres and put on our formal orbments.

Enhanced Jaeger Eins: Heh...That's far enough, girlie.
Enhanced Jaeger Zwei: Not too bad, though, escaping from custody on the Glorious and all. The daughter of Cassius Bright does not disappoint.
Enhanced Jaeger Drei: You understand, of course, that trying to resist is pointless. Be a good little girl and lay down your weapon.
Young Man's Voice: Heh heh. What a pathetic showing, Estelle Bright.

Enhanced Jaeger Eine-Hälfte: Oh, don't recognize me with the helmet, do you? Fine, then. Look into the face of the one who bested you!

Huh?!

I doubt you ever thought to encounter me again even in your worst nightmares, hm?

Erm, I think I remember seeing your face before...
Who...are you again?
WHAT?! I am Gilbert! The former steward of the honorable Mayor Dalmore! You could at least REMEMBER the people you've arrested!
Well, excuse the heck out of me for being surprised!
I mean, first of all, didn't we hand you over to the army for a trial and stuff? How'd you even manage to get here?
Heh. You doubt my resourcefulness! During the coup, I managed to escape in the chaos.
Shortly thereafter, Ouroboros found me, and so I pledged my allegiance to them.
I don't know whether to call that tenacious or just thickheaded...
Are you seriously a jaeger? You're not actually going to fight, are you?
And again, you underestimate me.
I am a prodigy of the sword as much as the pen--a master of both!
But, um, I remember how you screamed back when you got roughed up by those Special Ops guys at the lighthouse. Do you really think you're cut out for combat? It was all high pitched too, like--
S-SILENCE! I have been part of a huge number of combat enhancement programs since I first entered the society's service. My physical abilities have been greatly increased, and my knowledge of battle tactics is unparalleled. So don't think you can best me again, bracer scum!

Enhanced Jaeger Zwei: For the love of...
Enhanced Jaeger Drei: Ah, just play along for now.
Now, then, Estelle Bright. If you want to live, throw aside your stick, get down on your knees, and beg for mercy. If you do that, I may even forgive your past transgressions.
Oh, what an offer. I'm moved to tears over here. Really.
But sorry, I'm pretty thickheaded, too.

Eep!
Maybe I can't beat one of your crazy Enforcers on my own, but I can sure throw down with the likes of you!
So bring it on, screamer!

-Fight With Assailant-

You don't have to win this battle, and you won't if you try to fight it normally, but it's worth some extra BP if you can pull it off within the time limit.

The enhanced jaegers have a few tricks: Faint-inflicting charge attacks, melee impedes, grenades, even Reviving Balm for downed comrades.

And then there's Gilbert.

Now this is a really bad starting position, so I'm just going to take a little walk...

...out of attack range for three of them. Hopefully they'll start bunching up.

Yooou're FINISHED!

They've obliged nicely. Now I can even these odds a little.

Thanks, buddies!

I've also got some brand-new attack foods, and this is the perfect place to use them.

Now suck on my meaty balls, Gilbert.

Did you know? Ailment quartz can activate on food attacks.

It's true!

Too late, ex-buddy.

It's just...a flesh wound...

-Looming Threat-

How in the world...? Impossible...We outnumber her!
*pant* See?! THAT'S what a bracer can do, jerkwads!
Enhanced Jaeger Eins: She's Cassius Bright's daughter, all right...We shouldn't have underestimated her.
Enhanced Jaeger Zwei: Right, then. Pop the safeties.

Behold, one of the gifts of Ouroboros! Our bodies surge with the power of the society's technology. We are far greater than normal men, especially with the safeties off.
Tch!
Man's Voice: Just in time!

Enhanced Jaeger Tausend: Looks like you're having a hard time. Allow me to assist.
That won't be necessary. She's put up quite a fight, but we'll wear her down eventually. You're welcome to watch, of course.
Enhanced Jaeger Tausend: I wasn't talking to you.
What are y--

Uh...
WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
Enhanced Jaeger Tausend: I'm sorry, but you're not cut out for this.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 20, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Estelle the wall crusher?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

So much for my career as Estelle the Wall-Crusher, I guess...

I see what you did there, Estelle.

And down goes Gilbert. Again. It probably won't be the last time either.

What a moment to cut off the episode. The next two updates are gonna be awesome.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't know if you need to get Gilbert's name right for extra BP, but I wasn't going to take chances. One really important thing about that fight that Really Pants did not mention is that you are on a timer. That, more than anything, is the real problem with trying to get max BP here. You only have a certain amount of time to eliminate all the enemies before the fight ends in a stalemate cutscene, which means you get a bit less BP. Using S-crafts here should be saved for the very last enemy, because they delay your next turn for quite a while, which means you can run out of time. Also, instead of using your first turn to move, you could change Estelle's starting position in the Tactics screen.

Silver Thorn helps, because of its 90 percent chance to confuse, which means enemies spend their turns lowering their own health for you. Death Scream and Deathblow + True Hurricane are other ways to deal with this fight.

On Hard and Nightmare, this fight is hard enough that you are obliged to wear two Proxy Puppets to restore you after you die.

I missed a lot of BP on my blind playthrough, but this was one fight I went back all the way to pre-capture to rearrange some quartz to give Estelle the best Action and Cast quartz I had, because Estelle winning this fight just feels like the only appropriate outcome.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 6, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let me guess, "safety off" mode turns them into frothing berserkers after about 15 seconds, which are exactly the kind of dudes you don't want on your way-the-gently caress-high-up airship?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Hi Joshua you're late.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol loving gilbert

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

cokerpilot posted:

Hi Joshua you're late.

An Erebonian is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he'd screw up his girlfriend's BP the most.

No, I am absolutely not still pissed that on two loving occasions I timed out the battle after taking down the last Jaeger but before the victory screen triggered why is that even a thing that can happen.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I like the idea of Joshua making plans to carefully infiltrate the Glorious and getting onboard to find that Estelle has beaten everybody up. I think that captures something about both characters and their dynamic.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I had no idea Deadpool was in this game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Man, this loving fight. :argh:

Still, having the setup for Silver Thorn almost lets you feel like you're playing the final battle with Loewe in FC with the roles reversed, at least. And the next part is probably the highest point in the entire game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

"BLORF!", he said as he was lovingly knocked the gently caress out.

Omobono posted:

An Erebonian is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he'd screw up his girlfriend's BP the most.

No, I am absolutely not still pissed that on two loving occasions I timed out the battle after taking down the last Jaeger but before the victory screen triggered why is that even a thing that can happen.
Never underestimate the chance for a game to pull dick moves. A semi-important battle with a hidden time limit that affects your 100% completion chances is just rife with ways to gently caress players over. That said, what you've described is just pure :argh:, plain and simple.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I also love Gilbert's death-quote when you knock him out.

"It's just...a flesh wound..."

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Could have sworn the Gilbert question cost you BP if you got it wrong, but I guess it doesn't matter. Who could possibly forget Gilbert?

Also regarding wall-Crushing, pretty sure there's a scene in Cold Steel where a Dogi the Wall-Crusher doll is mentioned. That raises so many questions.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 7, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Certainly understandable if you did totally forget about him, at least. He only had a couple scenes early on in FC, and the most notable of those was "got shot in the leg".

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I missed a lot of BP on my blind playthrough, but this was one fight I went back all the way to pre-capture to rearrange some quartz to give Estelle the best Action and Cast quartz I had, because Estelle winning this fight just feels like the only appropriate outcome.

Same, I couldn't let Estelle NOT make them all look like punks, especially after how much of a dork Gilbert is. Hard to do what when you're not prepared for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Decision to Leave-

No way...
Ahaha...Joshua...?
This, um...This isn't a dream, is it?
Things would be nicer if this were a dream.
Unfortunately, reality isn't so convenient.
Huh?
Man's Voice: You finally show yourself.

It's been a while, Loewe. You knew I would find my way on board?
It was entirely possible, given your skills.
Still, I'm curious as to how you actually managed it.
I boarded one of the scout ships that went ahead of the Glorious to check its route.
None of the Enforcers were about, so it was fairly trivial to sneak in.
You even guessed that Weissmann would request the Ark.
You really haven't lost your touch, Black Fang.
All thanks to you, really. Though it always was a bit nerve-wracking, wondering if you or someone else would find me.
Hm. There are few who can see through your skill at obfuscation.
But stealth has its weaknesses. The instant someone notices you, you lose your one advantage.

You have lost your advantage, Black Fang. What do you think a fang can do against the Bladelord?
W-Wait!

I don't care how strong you are, we won't make it that easy on--
Stand back, Estelle.
Loewe is powerful. More so than the both of us combined.
Urk.
And knowing that, you still came here. Some might call that naive, but I know you better than that.
What drove you to leave her in the first place?
Um...
If you wish to protect someone, protect them. If you wish to cut them from your life...then do it. Completely. Did I not teach you to be thorough? To be decisive?
Yes, you did. That was the very first lesson you taught me after Weissmann was done 'tuning' me.
If she means that much to you, you should never have left her side. You should have stayed with her, tormented by guilt or otherwise.
The fact that you didn't is just another form of escapism--nothing but deceit.
I know that, Loewe...
I know what you're trying to tell me.
Do you really?
Joshua...
But in that case...what about you, Loewe? This should have been my price alone to pay. My burden. And yet you joined the society, too, and now they call you the Bladelord.
Why are you still working with Weissmann?!
My cooperation with Weissmann has nothing to do with you. I do so because of my desires.
Your desires? You mean about Karin...?
Petty revenge won't bring Karin back.
So I want to see if her death was worth it. I want to put humanity to the test. That's why I'm working with the professor.
...'Put humanity to the test'?
Enough talking.

You have three options:
You and the girl both surrender. You protect the girl and you die. Or...you abandon the girl and escape by yourself.
Make your choice.
Joshua!
I'm sorry, but I will be taking option four.
What?

*KROOOM*

Uh, what?!
You...
I fiddled with the orbal engines a little. Left alone, the society's glorious ark will be another wreck on the ocean floor soon.
Hey, Joshua! Could you maybe WARN ME when you--
You really are a magician. You need authorization for the engine room, so I didn't think you'd be able to worm your way in there.
I altered each of the twenty-two engines in a slightly different manner. Weissmann could sort it out. Maybe Renne, too. But with them gone, the only one left is you, Loewe.
A final ace in the hole to put a stop to the plan. Well done.
But to use it now...Hmph. Just how long do you intend to keep deluding yourself?
Heh. I hope you have an answer when next we meet.
I'll be looking forward to it.

Um, Joshua?
I...um...
We can talk later.
I've got an airship prepared for an escape. We need to head down the stairs ahead of us and get to the hangar.
Ah...
Yeah...C'mon.

-Looming Threat-

Hey it's that one guy.

Joshua's crafts:

Taunt: Enrages enemies in a small area, just like Estelle's.
Evil Eye: Ranged AoE with AT-Delay.
True Dual Strike: Double melee attack.
True Flicker: Ranged line attack with AT-Delay.
True Cloak & Dagger: Ranged attack with 20% chance of deathblow.

Archaisms can't be confused, so I'll ditch Silver Thorn here. :smith:

Since when does an airship have its own landing port...
Yes...The Crimson Ark, the Glorious, pride of the society, is meant to be a mothership, of sorts.
It can provide berthing to up to twelve smaller vessels.
That's unbelievable!
I secured a ship earlier for our escape. It's in the hangar farthest in.
Got it!

...Campanella.
Joshua! How cold. You have that nice, long heart-to-heart with Loewe and you don't even stop by to say hello to your old friend Campanella?
I didn't think you were still on the ship.
Let me guess, you knew I was coming this way.
Haha! Well, I AM the one the Grandmaster sent to observe the plan. It's my job to notice more than the others do, after all.
Heheh. It's impressive, though. You've changed quite a bit in the, what, half-decade since last we met. You've become much more of a man, hmm?
And you...literally haven't changed at all. Even your appearance is exactly the same, as though you haven't aged a day.
Hahaha. Well, I make sure to NEVER skip my daily skin-care, after all!
I've heard you enjoy a good romp in a dress every now and then. Perhaps I could introduce you to some cosmetics?
Argh! Could you be any more aggravating?!
You were waiting here for us because you wanted to fight, right? Just FIGHT US already!
Haha. Oh, my goodness, what a strong little girl.
I'd wondered what kind of girl could pluck your heart like a grape, Joshua. She's a good match for you, huh?
W-Wait, who plucked whose heart like--
Ahhh, I forget myself, though. Your proper girlfriend is that bandit girl, isn't it?
Oooh, Joshua, you're such a stud. ♥
. . .
...That's quite enough of your nonsense. I have no idea how you even know about Josette. But either way...
Our abilities in combat should be about the same...and I doubt Estelle will just sit idly by. Do you still intend to stop us with force?
Ahaha! No, no, that wasn't my intent at all!
As I said, I'm simply here to observe the plan unfold. I've no duty to impede you two directly.
Wait, really? Then why bother waiting for us here?
Haha. To say my farewells, of course.
But, you know, just saying 'goodbye' isn't very exciting at all. So I thought I'd help make your escape story a bit more...riveting!

*snap*

Wh-Wh-Whaaaa...?!
The Pale Apache flying orbal puppet?! The society already has working models?!

How will this affect their legend? Let's find out!

-Great Awe-

Pale Apache is basically Orgueille Jr.

It's got the same type of giant gun...

...but this time, Clock Up EX got me out of the line of fire.

You're finished.

Paleface can run you over just like the Orgueille, too.

It seems to be a lot weaker to arts than weapons.

And AT-Delay works.

So in the end, cracking it open and getting the sweet candy inside isn't too much trouble.

-Looming Threat-

Hahaha! Well done, well done!

You, you...Enough of your stupid messing around!
Now, now, there's no need to be so angry.
Anyway, it's time for the Fool whose act is done to exit, stage right.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Keep on never changing Campanella.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Aaaand...Joshua makes his grand reappearance in the only appropriate way; lecturing Estelle about the lack of grace in her problem-solving methods as if he never left.

Campanella's scene gives you a few neat little insights into his character too; he's only an observer who doesn't actively participate in Weissmann's plan even if that means letting the enemy escape, he may not be human, seeing that Joshua mentions he hasn't aged a day over the course of a decade and he's a grade-A troll who delights in pushing people's buttons just for the hell of it. (Estelle's reactions to him are pretty funny)

Coming up next; the best scene in the franchise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Looming Threat-

That's just a little escape trick he knows. Don't worry about it.
More importantly...
Man's Voice: Hey! You sure they came this way?!

-Silence-

-Silver Will-

Right!

I'll get the ship launched immediately.
G-Got it!

(Activation key...recognized. Confirmation code...entered.)
(...And we can go!)

I'm opening the hatch via remote control. We'll be launching immediately, so take a seat.
Okay!

Enhanced Jaeger: Fire! Don't let them escape!

It's fine. We'll correct shortly.
There we go.

Enhanced Jaeger: Sortie the airships! We're going after them!

Whoa! This is a radar, isn't it? There's, um, three lights, getting closer! I think!
Mm. Pursuers. We'll need to evade them somehow.
Um. Joshua. You know how to fly an airship?
The basics, at least.
This ship doesn't have any armaments, however. This isn't the best situation for us to be in...
Oh, great...
Wait, why did you go for a ship with no weapons?
...This ship was undergoing maintenance so the security was lighter. It was an emergency, so I didn't have time to be picky.
An emergency...
Um...You don't mean...You don't mean the fact that I was caught on the Glorious?
Enough. We're going to be flying rough, so hang on to something.

*BLAM BLAM BLAM*

Waaaaaaaaaaah!

Those guys chasing us seem pretty good...
The pilots have been put through one of the society's piloting-focused enhancement programs, most likely. They won't be very good at adapting to the unusual, but for more common tasks like chasing down a ship...they're very good.
I get it...They're like those guys from earlier.
If they're bad at adapting, though, maybe we can cause some kind of accident--

*BOOM*

Gyah! Were we hit?!
No, wait. That wasn't our ship!

The Bobcat! But why?

quote:

Joshua! Joshua, you're on that ship, right?!
(That voice...THAT voice.)
Yes, it's me! What are you guys doing here?! I thought you'd be out of Liberl by now!

quote:

Heh-heh! My brothers got all worried that you might run into a problem. So we've been shadowing that flying whale for a while.
Heh, reeeeeally? Who was the one begging us to follow Joshua, lookin' all worked up and ready to faint?
K-KYLE!
Enough, you two. And besides, lad, we have a little payback to give the society ourselves.
We thought we could stick around here until we settled our OTHER debt.
I see.
Thank you. You saved me.

quote:

Heheh! Yeah, you better be grateful!
We've had an eye on you for a while and noticed you weren't firing back. There some kind of problem?
I had to take a ship with no armaments. It's proven to be a bit of an issue.

quote:

I can imagine.
Wh-What do we do then...?
Right, then! We'll split them in two! You can probably lose one, right?
One...No problem.

quote:

It's a plan, then. Blessings of Aidios be with you!
Joshua! Take care, you hear me?!

-Dancing With The Wind-

Nope! All the lights are out, it looks like. Seems like we completely lost them.
Good...
U-Um...
I gotta say, I was surprised by the bandits! They're kind of okay! I never thought they'd show up out of the blue to save us like that...
Maybe I've been a bit too hard on them.
It's true.
I just saw us as two parties bound to a contract...But I suppose relationships between people aren't that simple.
Haha...What's this all of a sudden?
Put two people together and maybe they'll fight, maybe they'll be friends. All kinds of stuff can happen. That's just how people act, y'know?
Yes.
...'How people act' was never very clear in the world I lived in.
Oh...

-Confession-

Kill, or be killed. Take, or be taken from. Until I met you, my life was an endless cycle of such...simplicity.
But, um.
Even you had some good times with Loewe and your sister, right?
Loewe told you about that, did he?
It's true I have those memories, but they feel like someone else's....
Wha...
After my heart was shattered...my memories of Hamel were no longer my own. I think it's because I gave up being human and chose to become a puppet.
I do clearly remember my sister's death.
She and I were attacked by a man lying in wait for stragglers. The man swatted me away and...forced my sister to the ground.
...Oh...
At the time, I was too young to know what he probably meant to do. All I knew was that he was hurting my sister and I had a bad feeling, so I grabbed onto the man's back.
I ended up getting crushed and thrown off immediately. Somehow, though, I had managed to get my hands on the man's gun.
Thinking about it, I wonder. Did I have a talent for killing people, even then? I'd never even been taught how, but I still removed the safety and pulled the trigger with no hesitation. The man fell over, spewing blood from his mouth, looking...confused. At that moment, I finally realized I'd shot a man.
He wasn't quite dead yet, though. He jumped up, combat knife out, screaming and gurgling incoherently with murder in his eyes.
I curled up and closed my eyes, like I was being attacked by a wild animal...
But there was no impact. I was embraced by something soft.
When I opened my eyes, there was my sister, gently smiling at me. The man had collapsed at some point...and Loewe was standing there, dumbstruck with horror. My sister, cradled by Loewe, gave me her harmonica...
...And then she closed her eyes.
I remember every detail, you see.
But even talking about it like this doesn't make me feel sad. It's just a slight tugging at the heart, like reading a stranger's diary.
And the same is true...of my time with you.
...No...
I do think I was changed a little by touching your warmth. I learned happiness and joy with you, and finally came to think of you as someone dear. But somewhere it all felt as if it was distant.
I suspect that's what my real self was feeling. The empty void...of the broken puppet that is Joshua Astray.

Please do not chase after me anymore.
I was a little happy to see you one last time, but...Even so, we should not be together.
Being with someone...like me...will never be good for you. And, to be frank, you will only be a burden to me. So--
You're a terrible liar, you know that?
What?

-The Whereabouts of Light: Instrumental-

Joshua...listen. I've seen and heard a lot since you left.
And now? Now I think I understand. I understand the reason you left. The real reason, the one you haven't even admitted to yourself.
You can't bear to be with me because your heart's broken? You feel like being with me is someone else's story that you can never, ever have?
And come on, 'I'll be a bad influence on you'? Or 'you'll hold me back'? What?
That's all a bunch of lies. Every single one. Especially that last one.
They aren't lies!
No, Joshua...Really, listen.
I understand now...You're really, really scared.
What...?
You think it's your fault that your sister died. And you'd never, ever forgive yourself if something happened to me. THAT'S why you ran away from me that night.
Everything else was just pinned on afterwards.
Haha, that's ridiculous.
Weissmann's conditioning left me incapable of feeling fear. He took away my ability to feel it so that I wouldn't hesitate during an operation. You're a little off target, I'm afraid.
No, darn it, I'm not talking about something that superficial!
You said you can't help but feel like your sister's death happened to someone else, right? Do you know why that is?
Of course. It's because I'm...a broken wreck of a human being.
Nuh-uh, no, no, wrongo. We aren't letting self-pity get in the way here.
Joshua, you...you just don't want to remember how awful it was when your sister died. How you blame yourself for it. Unconsciously you've been trying to think of it as someone else's problem, to get away from it. A lot of people do that...
...I!
And on that ship, don't tell me you weren't afraid there! I mean, it was a lot of work just to sneak on board, right? But you didn't even hesitate to help me escape...It's almost as if you were trying to get me away from danger as fast as you possibly could. Danger you were AFRAID of.
You aren't a 'broken wreck,' Joshua. You're just scared, mostly because you care for people so much it breaks your heart...and you're lying to yourself about it.
That's how I see it, and I know I'm right.
But I...That can't...

Why...can you...
Have you forgotten, buster? I'm Liberl's Number One Joshua-Watcher. Now that I know all about your past, too, I'm the biggest authority on Joshua Astray in the world!
I know more than Weissmann or Loewe, even!
Joshua scared and Joshua brave. Joshua lying and Joshua honest.
My...beloved Joshua.
I finally found you, Joshua. I finally reached you.

...Stop...
But I...I need to say this. I don't want to just be one more person you feel like you have to protect. As long as I'm a bracer, I can't stay away from danger.
That's not gonna change even if you leave again, Joshua. It's what I have to do to be who I am.
And so...And so, Joshua? Let's make a promise.
A...promise?
Let's go forward from now on and protect each other. Equally. I'm strong enough to be able to cover your back now, Joshua. And if you're at my side, there's nothing I can't beat. No matter what kind of crazy nonsense the society throws at me, I won't die. So...So you don't need to be afraid for me anymore. I promise.
Es...telle...
...I...

Why...How...? I...haven't been able to cry since...since Karin died...I could never even...shed tears as an act...but now...
Ah...it's okay.

No one's looking. Cry as long as you want.
And I'll...just hold you like this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and just in case you missed it :siren: -The Whereabouts of Light: Instrumental- :siren:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That scene on the beach hasn't lost its emotional impact no matter how often I've watched it. No wonder it's considered the best scene in the series. It never stops being amazing how effortless Estelle manages to reach out to Joshua when he's setting out to walk away again and how, instead of slapping or beating sense into him, she uses her compassion to do the job instead. I also liked the little reference to Lila's sidequest where Estelle pointed out that Joshua wasn't the only person in the world who tried to escape his grief and survivor's guilt by disassociating from it and pretending it happened to someone else.

Falcom's attention to detail is also evident with Joshua's facial expressions. From this point on, he gains a completely new set of facial expressions (and a changed name on the status screen) to show his "restored" character.

Also cheers for the Capuas pulling off a big drat heroes moment.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

alright I know probably nobody is reading this who hasn't already played the game to death, but I was really hoping that middle thing would make a neat surprise for somebody in literally a day

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 8, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CRAAAWWWLIING IIIIN MYYY-

nuh uh nope wrong stop youre an idiot.

:allears: This is so much better than what I expected going into this scene.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
God, this scene. Can I just repeat "I love Estelle.." just like, 20 or 30 times? Because goddamn. I love Estelle, the optimistic dork that she is, able to completely trash that "dark, brooding loner" thing Josh was trying to do. :3:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

StrifeHira posted:

God, this scene. Can I just repeat "I love Estelle.." just like, 20 or 30 times? Because goddamn. I love Estelle, the optimistic dork that she is, able to completely trash that "dark, brooding loner" thing Josh was trying to do. :3:

Just, with brooding instead of yelling.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Except instead of the doing the equivalent of jumping on top of him feet first, i.e: using her very large stick, Estelle verbally deconstructs Joshua's brooding-persona and it makes her all the more awesome because of it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

Except instead of the doing the equivalent of jumping on top of him feet first, i.e: using her very large stick, Estelle verbally deconstructs Joshua's brooding-persona and it makes her all the more awesome because of it.

She has matured, so she simply found the best way to shut his Batman down, but she's always forced him to engage with the world.
As Joushua said way back then, she is the sun and she brightens him without even trying. Last update? She actually tried. Poor J got hit by a freight train of optimism he really didn't see coming.

I love this scene because Estelle's optimism fights really, really dirty. You know the saying that a pessimist is a well-informed optimist? That's what losers who give up say to feel better with themselves. Estelle's right now is a well-informed optimist, and she utterly demolished Joshua's mask.

Estelle posted:

Have you forgotten, buster? I'm Liberl's Number One Joshua-Watcher. Now that I know all about your past, too, I'm the biggest authority on Joshua Astray in the world!
I know more than Weissmann or Loewe, even!

And this in my opinion is why Weissmann has such a blind spot around Estelle. He literally rebuilt Joshua from the ground up with root level admin access to his mind, and Estelle breaks his hold on J by just being herself.
rear end in a top hat's ego simply can't take this and instead of simply leveraging the difference in skill and power he has to beat her by manipulation, subterfuge and the like. He's not content with simply removing her from the picture (let's be honest, he could have done that at any time on the Glorious), he has decided he needs to break and humiliate her utterly, to prove himself superior.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Estelle wasn't really "trying" here. She admitted to Kevin earlier in the chapter that she had no idea what she was going to say to Joshua if she ran into him again, but decided against worrying about it since "her heart would do the talking". She was totally adlibbing that entire last scene, which makes the fact that it worked on the first try all the more magnificent.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Really Pants posted:

alright I know probably nobody is reading this who hasn't already played the game to death, but I was really hoping that middle thing would make a neat surprise for somebody in literally a day

I haven't played this game so yeah I was looking forward to see if it would happen or not

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
For some reason all I can think about is "did Estelle humanity restoring speech somehow cause him to loose levels in order to make him on par with the team?". I don't know why I thought that, I must be broken. Tell me if I ever seem so crazy I need a psychiatrist okay?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't think he actually does lose levels. He's significantly ahead of the rest of the team, although due to experience scaling, it evens out eventually.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nah, the rest of the party will soon be catching up pretty quickly to Joshua in levels.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Erpy posted:

I don't think he actually does lose levels. He's significantly ahead of the rest of the team, although due to experience scaling, it evens out eventually.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Nah, the rest of the party will soon be catching up pretty quickly to Joshua in levels.

That's good to hear, I'm not entirely sure why I thought that might be a thing.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe you're thinking of a situation like Magus from Chrono Trigger where he was a tough enemy and became weaker as a party member.

• Locked thread