Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

There's a sequel called Purgatory! The demo's on Steam.

sick! thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Given that we didn’t get a trailer anywhere over the last couple of weeks, I’m betting BL2 has been pushed to 2025.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What was the name of that game that was court intrigue based but not about vampires, but was very similar in tone to VtM?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Given that we didn’t get a trailer anywhere over the last couple of weeks, I’m betting BL2 has been pushed to 2025.

We got a dev diary that was all tech related. Lighting, level design etc. So yeah 2025.

Non-zero chance they can it for a tax refund at this point, if that's a thing they can do in Sweden.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Even tho I’ve probably been the foremost Chinese Room skeptic itt,Stillness Wakes the Deep really really impressed me. It’s the best Frictional-style horror game I’ve ever played — good enough to make you forget that it’s a kind of on-rails theme park ride. I’d say it’s like Alien: Isolation without the Metroidvania aspects (and plus a reasonable length).

By and large that’s down to the frankly wild quantity of bespoke hosed up poo poo assets they put in those 7 hours (you don’t feel the budget at all) and the very specific sense of place. You absolutely get sold on the idea that all these people know each other even if you don’t — by necessity you don’t get a ton of time with the characters, but the line-level writing and VA are… well, VTMB-caliber.

Worth the $35 price tag imo, but it’s on Gamepass too.

If it were just down to art direction and obvious determination to do good work, I’d say that VTMB2 was in good hands… There’s still the issue of RPG mechanics and a setting that’s not Scotland, naturally, but I’m way more hopeful now than I was a day ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It made me more skeptical because I don't really see how a small indie dev is making two AA level games in parallel without cutting corners somewhere

Also everything we've seen from Bloodlines 2 looks far, far worse than the other game, imo, from graphical assets to acting and script

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 23, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Even tho I’ve probably been the foremost Chinese Room skeptic itt,Stillness Wakes the Deep really really impressed me. It’s the best Frictional-style horror game I’ve ever played — good enough to make you forget that it’s a kind of on-rails theme park ride. I’d say it’s like Alien: Isolation without the Metroidvania aspects (and plus a reasonable length).

By and large that’s down to the frankly wild quantity of bespoke hosed up poo poo assets they put in those 7 hours (you don’t feel the budget at all) and the very specific sense of place. You absolutely get sold on the idea that all these people know each other even if you don’t — by necessity you don’t get a ton of time with the characters, but the line-level writing and VA are… well, VTMB-caliber.

Worth the $35 price tag imo, but it’s on Gamepass too.

If it were just down to art direction and obvious determination to do good work, I’d say that VTMB2 was in good hands… There’s still the issue of RPG mechanics and a setting that’s not Scotland, naturally, but I’m way more hopeful now than I was a day ago.
Yes. I don't even like horror games and I enjoyed watching someone stream it. If you do enjoy horror I recommend it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fuzz posted:

What was the name of that game that was court intrigue based but not about vampires, but was very similar in tone to VtM?

I think you’re maybe thinking of The Council, the game that had Napoleon and George Washington and such in it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Reveilled posted:

I think you’re maybe thinking of The Council, the game that had Napoleon and George Washington and such in it?

The Council really was very good eurojank nonsense until the last episode sort of fumbled it all.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Council really was very good eurojank nonsense until the last episode sort of fumbled it all.

oh... I never followed up on that game. that is very sad to hear indeed. :(

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

wizard2 posted:

oh... I never followed up on that game. that is very sad to hear indeed. :(

Which is weird because their VtM game is almost the opposite. It’s really janky for the early part, but I think it has some really cool stuff at the end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't even call The Council janky, its story is just extremely stupid where the devs wanted it to be very clever (which is enjoyable, if you are into that sort of thing)

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

steinrokkan posted:

I wouldn't even call The Council janky, its story is just extremely stupid where the devs wanted it to be very clever (which is enjoyable, if you are into that sort of thing)

I remember there being a bit where you have to pick out a particular person out of a pair of twins, which the game hyped up as a dramatic moment, and either the subtitles or the in-game menus made it trivially easy to figure out who was who.

I ended up enjoying the game more when I leaned into playing a stupid jock who liked to hit things: I remember one of the first things that happened to me in the game was a cardinal asking me why I'd revealed the existence of my mother's secret organisation to him. But I did stop playing the game eventually, given that I couldn't really play a bruiser anymore once one of my hands got chopped off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think that really matters, you can still kick the poo poo out of Napoleon even with your handicap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retnuha
Dec 25, 2023
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/dev-diary-what-are-we-up-to-part-two

New dev diary from TCR not anything too crazy other than discussing some of the more open areas of the game. Sounds like there will be non-combat areas with normal NPC's so it's not quite going full dishonored in terms of level hopping. Honestly the impression I'm getting is that this game might end up looking like a slightly scaled down Deus Ex Human Revolution.

By the way is anyone aware if we're able to choose Phyre's gender when playing the game I know most of the promotional material has been showing a female char and I'm aware there doesn't seem to be much in terms of character creation but are we gender locked or do we have more options?