Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I caught the patch notes because Steam still hypes this game to me despite not playing in over a year. The conduction tile is huge, but the new rocket interiors are somehow more obtuse than oil drops in space....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Got a proper private bedroom block now :hellyeah:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Screen doors and pass-through? Get to work on shifting those over for more ladders!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
we have One Ladder and that's how we like it :colbert:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Unitary Shaft Doctrine

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

we have One Ladder and that's how we like it :colbert:

I do exactly this because the only way in and out of the bedroom block is through a nature sanctuary. You will visit nature every day and YOU WILL LIKE IT.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh, it seems like that latest update is out of beta and pushed into my save, I say as I nervously look at my soon-to-erupt volcano and the new Geotuner building.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Is there something I need to do to prevent my dupes from thinking there is no bathroom available? For whatever reason there's an issue I've been having where some dupes will refuse to recognize a path to the bathroom when they in exosuits/beyond the checkpoint. If I manually move them to the checkpoint, they de-suit and piss accordingly, but I'm plainly missing something here.

e: nevermind, I figured out it was because I had set suit return to vacany only and had inadvertently "occupied" every space by asking a suit to be delivered.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 2, 2023

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
forbidden sorbet

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Panty Saluter posted:

forbidden sorbet

Mmm delicious.

After nearly 1800 hours I've finally setup my first hot, dirty brick. Everything in the box is made of steel/ceramic but it's way too hot in there and I can't make steel for more than a few minutes without the refineries breaking. That might be fixed now that I've added temp shift plates throughout but I probably have to change up the piping.

Hitting the issue where steam is getting deleted due to CO2 pressure so I've added some door crushers to the slickster farms down below. It seems to be helping after removing about 100KG of CO2 per tile.

The new private bedroom morale bonus is pretty nice so I put in some effort to make a decent living area for my dupes, which I'm pretty proud of. I still need to add a rec room to the bottom but for now it's my new dupe gym:

Also need to add a 3rd hydra to support both the living quarters and the atmo suit docks and need to setup a cooling brick so I can switch the input of water from my saltuner's infinite water storage and not waste sand sieving all the pwater on the map / from my pwater geyser.

I've paved the entire oil biome outside of the oil wells and my petrol boiler:

I also have a saltuner handling a salt geyser putting out a little over 3kg/s which has been supplying my oil wells, the output of my petrol generators dumps into the saltuner's infinite storage. Ignore the nearly broken pipe, starting these up is kind of a pain:

My old hatch ranches soon to be phased out by the slickster farms:

On cycle 648 playing spaced out classic on terra, been futzing about with the smaller asteroid clusters but wanted something closer to vanilla this time. I love this stupid game.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is there a way you can keep CO2 out if the industrial brick? It's basically an insulator so that will definitely give you trouble with rapid overheating. Also more mass is helpful - a little steam changes temperature rapidly, but a lot of steam buffers out spikes very well

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Panty Saluter posted:

Is there a way you can keep CO2 out if the industrial brick? It's basically an insulator so that will definitely give you trouble with rapid overheating. Also more mass is helpful - a little steam changes temperature rapidly, but a lot of steam buffers out spikes very well

My goal was to turn the pwater coming out of my petrol gens directly into steam in the hot brick in order to turn it back into regular water via the steam turbines as part of the water positive petroleum loop, while also using the CO2 to feed the slickster farms. I think if I can get the amount of C02 lowered via the door crushers it will probably fix the steam deletion bug. Dirty bricks are pretty finnicky for a reason I'm finding out, this mostly just came online in the last 30 cycles or so but I added the door crushers maybe 5 cycles ago, I've got them running on fairly short times and its deleting a ton of C02 so I'm hoping it works.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You can't put petrol generators in the brick itself.
The atmosphere needs to be 10kg+ of steam for it to work, then the turbines run full whack and cool it down by dropping the cold water back in.
best place for petrol generators is right at the top of the map, with doors above that open if atmosphere is > 1kg, and just let the smoke boil into space. Cool them with an aquatuner loop - the aquatuner you stick at the top of the brick, and that will provide a nice hotspot to keep the generators going enough.

Edit - you can do this with gas generators, as the CO2 is piped out. That requires a sour gas boiler tho, and I tried it and... it's a bit sucky tbh. The generators dont quite generate enough heat to keep the chamber hot enough, and you get a puddle of pwater when you are not looking, and the PO2 then fucks up the turbine intakes so you need a tower out the top to collect PO2 and pump it out over time... urgh

E2: Just use the power from your generators to run a desalinator and sieve inline and feed everything through that - instant clean (germy?) water, 5kg/s, less than 1kW.
Now a volcano powered water cleaner.. that's a different (power positive) story altogether.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 4, 2023

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

OzyMandrill posted:

You can't put petrol generators in the brick itself.
The atmosphere needs to be 10kg+ of steam for it to work, then the turbines run full whack and cool it down by dropping the cold water back in.
best place for petrol generators is right at the top of the map, with doors above that open if atmosphere is > 1kg, and just let the smoke boil into space. Cool them with an aquatuner loop - the aquatuner you stick at the top of the brick, and that will provide a nice hotspot to keep the generators going enough.

Edit - you can do this with gas generators, as the CO2 is piped out. That requires a sour gas boiler tho, and I tried it and... it's a bit sucky tbh. The generators dont quite generate enough heat to keep the chamber hot enough, and you get a puddle of pwater when you are not looking, and the PO2 then fucks up the turbine intakes so you need a tower out the top to collect PO2 and pump it out over time... urgh

E2: Just use the power from your generators to run a desalinator and sieve inline and feed everything through that - instant clean (germy?) water, 5kg/s, less than 1kW.
Now a volcano powered water cleaner.. that's a different (power positive) story altogether.

Yeah sounds like I'll be moving the generators out of there tonight, I've run a sour gas boiler in the past but it was also finnicky and I don't have space materials just yet. I've not setup a water boiler before but I do have an unused volcano so I think I'll give that a shot for boiling. I was concerned about my sand supply for water sieves but honestly this map is huge and I still have over 500 tons, but using a volcano for water boiling will also give me some igneous for smashing into sand if needed down the road.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ok, I've got a Point of Interest with a Neural Vacillator in it, which didn't reveal either the pool of fresh water underneath it or the second room off to the side. I opened the second door by building an automation wire to an always-green switch but that didn't lift the Undiscovered fog from the room, neither did digging in from the unwalled side. How would I get rid of this poo poo without the debug mode?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

LonsomeSon posted:

Ok, I've got a Point of Interest with a Neural Vacillator in it, which didn't reveal either the pool of fresh water underneath it or the second room off to the side. I opened the second door by building an automation wire to an always-green switch but that didn't lift the Undiscovered fog from the room, neither did digging in from the unwalled side. How would I get rid of this poo poo without the debug mode?

I've been using the Deconstructable POI Props mod for so long that I forget if you can deconstruct the door/tiles surrounding the empty black space or not. I usually do that and restart the game which seems to fix it most of the time. I think they added into the base game some functionality for that but it requires a dupe with maxed out building skills to deconstruct certain things.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By deconstructing (not demolishing) blocks you can eventually light up the area, in my experience. Which blocks to deconstruct I never found a rule for.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ok the above advice worked, but I was watching when one of the unexplored bits got revealed, and it looks like the actual mechanism is having a dupe fully in one of the unrevealed tiles. This happened when someone climbed out of the just-revealed fresh water pool and onto the floor of the unrevealed room, to do a deconstruct errand on that room's roof.

A very timely effort since I'm starting to run low on fresh water and there's another 20 tonnes here easy.

e: yeah you can Demolish Gravitas props now if you max out the Construction line, finally giving us one single reason to put points into it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Haven't shared a build in a long while so why not. This is my first petroleum boiler powered by a volcano. In the past, I've either used the "infinite" heat from the magma biome, or a thermium aqua tuner.

The stipulation I set for myself was that I didn't want to use an autominer, to get the full mass of the igneous rock, and to make sure that the igneous rock is recoverable, instead of just dumping into an inaccessible hole or anything. Also, if I'm being honest, even re-watching some Francis John videos dozens of times, I'm not sure my brain groks how exactly his build works.

When the boiling plate more heat, the door opens for 2 seconds, and a modest amount of magma drips down. It goes from ~1800 C to ~1400 C after which it pops out into the steam room. Then it gets put on conveyor rails and winds through the room for a little bit and gets output at a perfectly reasonable 150 degrees.

So compared to some other builds out there, it doesn't transfer as much energy to the boiler itself, but I still get the use out of the heat via the steam turbines. I'm only feeding the boiler 1 oil well worth of crude oil. If I used a full pipe, I would be concerned about running out of magma during the volcano's dormant phase, because of how I'm only using 400 degrees of heat for the boiler itself.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Did minibase ever get updated?

AotC
May 16, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

Did minibase ever get updated?

Kind of? Echo Ridge Gaming is currently doing a minibase playthrough, you just have to deactivate the dlc and roll back the previous update (Fast Friends) when you initially generate the map.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

oh jay posted:

The stipulation I set for myself was that I didn't want to use an autominer, to get the full mass of the igneous rock, and to make sure that the igneous rock is recoverable, instead of just dumping into an inaccessible hole or anything. Also, if I'm being honest, even re-watching some Francis John videos dozens of times, I'm not sure my brain groks how exactly his build works.

So compared to some other builds out there, it doesn't transfer as much energy to the boiler itself, but I still get the use out of the heat via the steam turbines. I'm only feeding the boiler 1 oil well worth of crude oil. If I used a full pipe, I would be concerned about running out of magma during the volcano's dormant phase, because of how I'm only using 400 degrees of heat for the boiler itself.

Boilers don't use much thermal energy once you get them running because petroleum has more heat than oil it was made from. So if your heat exchanger is good you barely need any heating for crude to keep changing. The problem with a low heat input is that it'll take forever to convert the initial batch.

The door trick Francis John uses to extract the heat from rock debris is just a quirk of mechanics. If debris can't escape and a door locks on it the heat is rapidly transferred to the door and whatever tiles touching the door. No easy way to get the debris out of it once it's cold though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I'm completely flush with magma, even in dormancy. I'm probably going to add a diamond temp shift plate to bring more heat into the steam room, just so I can cycle through the magma quicker.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Line the bottom of the map with steam generators, op

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bold of you to assume I have a magma biome.

My teleporter planet down though. Sending magma directly seems to simple though. I could superheat steam there, and send that over to my main planet.

It would solve both my power and water problems in one swoop.

The Pipsisewah
Dec 13, 2022
Hello I am too dumb to actually play this game very well and too stubborn to look up tutorials. I have been picking away at it by just trying to hack together engineering solutions myself and restarting when my accrued mistakes become lethal. I think for reference that my furthest save was starting to tunnel into other biomes before succumbing to heat death.

Does the space DLC add much content to the early game? Or should I wait until (if) I get to the stage of launching rockets etc to bother buying it?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The DLC radically changes the game and is probably most geared towards people who have exhausted the base game. If you're still struggling with basic management you probably won't enjoy it. I still don't like managing multiple colonies, personally.

e: if you don't want to mess with full tutorials Francis John's "nugget" videos are really good at illuminating mechanics that are not immediately obvious (so, a lot of them) without telling you explicitly what to do

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 11, 2023

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Panty Saluter posted:

The DLC radically changes the game and is probably most geared towards people who have exhausted the base game. If you're still struggling with basic management you probably won't enjoy it. I still don't like managing multiple colonies, personally.

e: if you don't want to mess with full tutorials Francis John's "nugget" videos are really good at illuminating mechanics that are not immediately obvious (so, a lot of them) without telling you explicitly what to do

FJ's videos are great but a lot of them are pretty old now and some of the mechanics have changed. Still highly recommended but there are some current youtubers also producing quality tutorial content like BierTier, Echo Ridge Gaming, Nilaus (has a good recent beginners let's play series), and Luma Plays (some more advanced concepts). Klei merged the codebase for vanilla and Spaced Out! a while back as well, I personally enjoy playing the "classic" asteroids on the DLC which are much more like vanilla but with included Spaced Out! features such as the expanded research tree. Plus you don't really have to get into rocketry with the classic asteroids as almost everything is included on the starter asteroids but you can still go to the outer ones if you want to (and for space materials in late game, just like vanilla).

I picked up the DLC just after it came out but couldn't really get into it, however these days I've been playing nothing but the small asteroid clusters which are a lot of fun, but as previously said there are more mechanics to get used to with the DLC that may be a little intimidating if you're not already familiar with the basics.

I also highly recommend the discord for basic questions.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Eh, none of the basics have really changed. The nugget videos are all pretty general. Echo Ridge is good too though

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I am similar in that I've avoided watching videos that just show you how to build a thing directly, I still have no clue what a "rodriguez" is though I've seen it referred to many times. After near 2000 hours I have also never once launched a rocket, so even without the new DLC there's plenty for me to do, but I usually end up restarting somewhere along the lines because I feel like it. One thing that I think helped me personally to improve my game was to regularly save a checkpoint - I usually save a "p0"-named save as soon as I start, and then try to do p1, p2, p3... every 40-50 cycles. I find that's enough time that I whenever I screw up - like recently on a cold start I hadn't heated up enough space to grow enough food to support my ~4-6(max) dupes - I can just load the past checkpoint save and it's similar-enough that I have a rough idea what I want to do but can also adjust to fix whatever killed me. As a bonus it'll let me go straight to interesting volcanos/vents if I discovered them, but since it's only ~40-50 cycles worth of rewind I don't feel like it's cheating, and also it's single player so who cares. I feel it's more akin to save-scumming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A Rodriguez is one design for a self-contained, self-powered box of stuff that has only water coming in and oxygen (plus maybe a small amount of excess hydrogen) going out. I have no idea why it’s called a Rodriguez.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A Rodriguez is one design for a self-contained, self-powered box of stuff that has only water coming in and oxygen (plus maybe a small amount of excess hydrogen) going out. I have no idea why it’s called a Rodriguez.

I think it's just because the specific design that's most popular was created by a person whose name is Rodriguez.

Funny enough I don't even think the Rodriguez is the best design (for one thing it uses more pumps than are theoretically necessary), but I think it's popular because it's a simple design to remember how to build, doesn't need any complicated setup like a mechanical filter, and is easy to make bigger by just repeating the design.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 12, 2023

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The YouTube commenter who invented the particular design was named Rodriguez so he stole that design and named it after him.
e:fb

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Does anyone else not bother with SPOMs? Usually I get so much energy from the hydrogen that I can easily use it to power most of the "normal" base activities with some backup if I start using heavy industry as well. Once I figured that out I never bothered running a separate grid for oxygen generation because it just turns into more trouble than its worth

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My power grid often goes down intermittently, especially during the hours where solar is down or still ramping up. So I feel more comfortable always having guaranteed power for my oxygen production.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I don't usually bother with the self powered part, opting to connect the power grids together. If possible I store rather than burn the hydrogen.

I also tend to go with the "hydra" style oxygen generation setup though, which features infinite gas storage and electrolyzers that can not overpressurize. Take that intended game mechanics!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always interpreted the "self-powered" aspect of SPOMs to mean that they're energy positive rather than being entirely on their own circuit. So you don't need to run extra generators to keep them going, they'll pay for themselves at minimum and usually run an excess. I do usually set them up with their own smart batteries an a little setup with an automated switch and a transformer that feeds out to my main circuit, with the idea being that it fills the batteries then dumps all that energy into the main grid as a one-way thing, disconnecting again once they drop down to 10% or so. The idea being that even if the rest of my grid dies because I hosed up somewhere, the oxygen supply will keep on pumping (at least until the water input pipes run dry because the pumps for those turned off but usually power problems don't take that long to resolve).

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I feel like hydras are exploity but I use them because electrolyzers are incredibly irritating when used as designed. I always end up either:

1. having my O2 output cut because the one tile that outputs gas overpressures every third second

2. having my O2 output cut because I pumped the room down to a pressure where the electrolyzers can run without overpressure, but my gas pumps are constantly pushing incomplete packets

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I partially solve the problem by having lots of vents. the pipes act as a buffer too, but mostly having lots of vents covers for the fact that gasses don't move too fast

As for incomplete packets, have you tried raising the minimum pressure for your pumps to kick on? I definitely had to play with the value some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
in retrospect, lead tempshift plates weren't a great choice with a hot steam vent