Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It has seven more copper wire assemblers than it needs for those two circuit assemblers. That's a pretty gratuitous waste of space and resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

5:1 wire:circuits is way off. 3:2 is the correct ratio.

This is my green circuit subassembly. Compact and nicely tileable in both directions.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Collateral Damage posted:

5:1 is the correct ratio on expensive recipes mode.

You can get this down to 4:1 if you prod module the circuits but not the wire.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

She plays on expensive mode, where you need 10 copper cable per circuit instead of 3. So...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol owned fuckin' causals

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

5:1 is the correct ratio on expensive recipes mode.
Oh right.

e: watched it run for a while, the circuit assembler doesn't get input starved with stack inserters. With fast inserters it gets briefly input starved every now and then as they're just about not fast enough to feed 20 items per second.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 19, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

I purchased and 100%'d Huniecam so quickly that I still get friends shaming me over it. And I deserve to be shamed. But I did not praise the game. I called it fucked up. That's how fucked up it is: it's up there with Princess Maker as far as poster body counts.
Soiled Meat
Oh right, yeah. If you were asking about her recipe Google doc... Yeah they are tuned to expensive as poo poo mode. The train stations and balancers are still compatible with regular mode.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

e: watched it run for a while, the circuit assembler doesn't get input starved with stack inserters. With fast inserters it gets briefly input starved every now and then as they're just about not fast enough to feed 20 items per second.
Maybe you only need one stack inserter then ;)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You mean leave ground unbuilt for no reason? Blasphemy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It turns out I've never really played Factorio "the right way" after having watched a few YouTube tutorials for poo poo I wasn't quite sure of.

I've never used a "bus", even though some main arteries for raw materials / intermediate products have reoccurred in my setups.

Any basic advice, or is that guide solid?

The beauty of Factorio is you can play it any way you like. People only use buses because if you like neat and organized poo poo that can be figured out at a glance (an absolute lifesaver to see quickly what is underproducing and what is overproducing) buses work great. Using spaghetti is fine, but god drat is it a bitch to diagnose when stuff goes wrong. You spend 30 mins tracing each belt back to it's source figuring out where on the way it's being bottlenecked.

KatherineOfSky is my waifu, her guides are fantastic, and her bus system is amazing. Like other's have said, she plays on expensive mode. Other than that, look at what she does and use a bit of common sense to see if it fits your playstyle. I think her guides are awesome, but I mainly use them as inspiration or use blueprints that fit my playstyle perfectly. Other stuff, I'll just appreciate for what they are but never use them.

Her belt array assembly module is brilliant. Once I've got logistics bots up and running, I plan on having assembly lines deposit to passive provider chests, and having a central location with a bunch of active provider chests that request items, so I can just quickly run and grab what I need, or have bots deliver once I get their speed up enough.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

She plays on expensive mode, where you need 10 copper cable per circuit instead of 3. So...

On top of being expensive mode, this was also right after .15 dropped and just a quick and dirty early game build, rather than anything that was optimised or needed to be absolutely ratio perfect.

In general I don't think she designs a lot of this stuff herself. Most of the individual parts of her factory are things you've already seen a hundred times on reddit or the official forums, or tweaks to those designs. But she's good at identifying what works and integrating it all into effecient mid-to-large scale factories. I find her stuff particularly informative when it comes to mid-game scaling up of factories. She also pretty well organised and a good watch for people who struggle with stuff like automating rapidly setting up outposts/walls etc efficiently. I also enjoy the whole cat-lady thing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Electric Furnaces updated! Now with even more electrodickery, courtesy of the electric boiler:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

Her belt array assembly module is brilliant. Once I've got logistics bots up and running, I plan on having assembly lines deposit to passive provider chests, and having a central location with a bunch of active provider chests that request items, so I can just quickly run and grab what I need, or have bots deliver once I get their speed up enough.

I have my own "shopping mall" design that works really well and I like a lot and almost always use that I should post here some time... but I still do belts and inserters separately using a varient of her design. Although I've gutted it on this run since someone sold me on bussing gears and I'm giving that a go.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

Electric Furnaces updated! Now with even more electrodickery, courtesy of the electric boiler:

That looks really nice. Good job.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Are there any good tutorials on signals and chain signals? I had to add a second stop to a current iron deposit and my life is wrecked.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

That looks really nice. Good job.

The magic of Photoshop's Replace Colour function!

Sadly they don't emit any light so you can't bathe in the glow at night. This appears to be a Factorio issue - boiler light source is inherent to its burner energy source, which the electric boiler naturally doesn't have.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You should also cut away the smoke stack, but other than that it's great

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dirk Pitt posted:

Are there any good tutorials on signals and chain signals? I had to add a second stop to a current iron deposit and my life is wrecked.

Yeah, there's quite a few. There was one I like by some obscure Euro guy, but I can't find it. I'll look a bit more and edit it in if I do. There's also this powerpoint style guide from reddit that breaks it all down pretty clearly. It's pretty old, but I don't think much has changed with regards to signalling: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/4f38sk/factorio_train_automation_complete_parts_23_and/

They're one of those things that are a lot less complicated than people thing, but I still get confused when junctions get complicated.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Truga posted:

You should also cut away the smoke stack, but other than that it's great

If the heat exchanger can keep that, so can the electric boiler :colbert:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GotLag posted:

An electric boiler? Cool. Now I can make a boiler -> steam tanks -> turbines thing powered with my excess solar for downtime. What's the efficiency like?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

They're not that tricky once you get your head around the concept of rail segments.
Both signals divide the track into segments. A regular signal will stop a train if the segment behind it is occupied (regardless of where in the segment the train is). A chain signal will stop a train if the segment behind it is occupied OR the next signal along the train's path would stop it.
Any rail connected to or crossing a segment is part of that segment, even if it's impossible for a train to move from one rail to another inside the segment (such as 90 degree intersecting rails).

Chain signals are mostly useful for intersections. Put a regular signal at each exit, and a chain signal at each entrance. That way trains will never stop in the middle of the intersection because the chain signal will only allow a train to enter the segment if it's immediately able to exit it.

A pitfall with chain signals is that you'll have a cascading effect if you have multiple chain signals in a row. So imagine this: [signal (red)]--[chain signal 1]--[chain signal 2]--[chain signal 3]--[chain signal 4]
In this case all the chain signals will show red. The first chain signal will show red because the regular signal is red, which will cause chain signal 2 will show red, which will cause chain signal 3 to show red etc...

I'm at work or I'd make some screeenshots for you. We should set up a multiplayer session some time. :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gravy Jones posted:

I have my own "shopping mall" design that works really well and I like a lot and almost always use that I should post here some time... but I still do belts and inserters separately using a varient of her design. Although I've gutted it on this run since someone sold me on bussing gears and I'm giving that a go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UC9oTYiTcdsG1pTxGWxrdbOvf-FqLRs0ClsYA2DekNk/edit?pli=1#gid=1058988126

put it in, just the tip. Also, a lot of you aren't adding your blueprints to our Goon doc, last edit - 12 days ago. This is shameful. How can I maximize my autism if you won't share your autism!

Dirk Pitt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGYSbEPpbM watch this gloriously British YTer explain it. He's a cheerful chap and will help you get your head around it. He also made his online moniker "Bentham", how much more British can you get?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ambaire posted:

An electric boiler? Cool. Now I can make a boiler -> steam tanks -> turbines thing powered with my excess solar for downtime. What's the efficiency like?

Efficiency is 100% (Factorio doesn't seem to support other values for non-burner energy sources). Max power is 900 kW.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Thank you for the links and explanations! It finally clicked! My solution isn't ideal however there is only 3 million left in the deposit, I'll do my next outpost much better with a proper hub and finally 4 cart trains instead of two. I love consuming the resources in this game it is so satisfying.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Slowly seeing that massive gently caress-huge ore patch dry up to nothing but empty land is the best feeling ever. Tearing the old outpost down is also super fun, but repurposing it to something else is even more fun.

I usually downsize my outposts and turn them into little radar stations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

Efficiency is 100% (Factorio doesn't seem to support other values for non-burner energy sources). Max power is 900 kW.

Can you not somehow limit the outflow of steam instead to limit efficiency by proxy?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Truga posted:

Can you not somehow limit the outflow of steam instead to limit efficiency by proxy?

I don't fully understand that question.

I chose 900 kW as it's reasonably less powerful than the standard coal burner at 1.8 MW, but still goes neatly with engines.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
What is the minimum ore patch you'll consider setting up shop on? I am thinking 4 million or greater

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

I don't fully understand that question.

Never mind, I forgot power will simply get used less if there's not enough steam flow.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Does anyone know of a mod that allows turrets to be connected to the circuit network? I'm trying to find a way to have a bunch of laser turrets not receive any power until biters are attacking, because their standby draw is still considerable. Right now the best I can cobble together is a laser turret + accumulator, which triggers some power switches when the laser turret fires & draws the accumulator down. It more-or-less works, but is pretty fiddly to set up. The whole thing would be so much simpler if turrets could directly announce "hey, I'm firing now!" rather than going through proxies.

I've also seen designs whose trigger is a flamethrower turret (needing to take in more fuel) or a gun turret (again, needing more ammo). My main concern with those is lag - by the time either turret needs to draw fuel/ammo, the biters could be much closer to your wall. Does anyone have any experience or tips?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Build more steam engines/turbines. :science:

Serious answer: I guess you could set up an accumulator that disconnects from the grid when full, and have a few "trigger" turrets slightly further ahead. When those start firing the accumulators will drop below 100% charge, and and that point connect all the other turrets to the grid.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 19, 2017

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Serious answer: I guess you could set up an accumulator that disconnects from the grid when full, and have a few "trigger" turrets slightly further ahead. When those start firing the accumulators will drop below 100% charge, and and that point connect all the other turrets to the grid.

That's exactly what I meant, and have already rigged up. A neater solution still eludes me...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It turns out I've never really played Factorio "the right way" after having watched a few YouTube tutorials for poo poo I wasn't quite sure of.

I've never used a "bus", even though some main arteries for raw materials / intermediate products have reoccurred in my setups.

There really isn't a "right" way to play Factorio. The bus is just something you can set up relatively early for convenience so a lot of people use it. Some people don't like buses. Some people even just slap down vast swathes of solar panels then run their bases with nothing but robots.

Personally I use trains.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There really isn't a "right" way to play Factorio.

There are wrong ways, though, like packmuling stuff around the factory yourself. I did that in my first game even very far down the tech tree.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Antti posted:

There are wrong ways, though, like packmuling stuff around the factory yourself. I did that in my first game even very far down the tech tree.

My bad habit is that I keep building stuff by hand for way too long. I get better about it constantly, but it's a bad habit for me to break just building Assemblers as I need them.

At least with the new recipe for blue science it was easy to convince myself to just build a miner factory ASAP which was rather nice.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

My bad habit is that I keep building stuff by hand for way too long. I get better about it constantly, but it's a bad habit for me to break just building Assemblers as I need them.

At least with the new recipe for blue science it was easy to convince myself to just build a miner factory ASAP which was rather nice.

I got a ton better about that after my Lazy Bastard run, give that a shot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Evilreaver posted:

I tried one a while back which is why the first goddamned thing I build is a temporary assembler to at least build belts. Figuring out that much was an epiphany.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Belts, gears and green circuits I set up for automation and store 2-3 stacks of pretty much immediately after I have the first assembler research. Having a small stockpile of those three items to swing by and pick up makes such a huge difference before you start setting down a long term factory.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alkydere posted:

I do this as well. I found a mod yesterday which disables hand-crafting and starts you out with a burner assembler. Didn't try it though, but I really should just to break the habit of hand crafting poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Evilreaver posted:

I would like lazy bastard a lot more if it didn't require you to spend so much longer in the early game. Having one miner and one assembly machine that you switch between tasks is just a more painful version of handcrafting. It would be a lot more fun if there was a 0 technology assembly machine that could craft assembly machines and miner drills, rather than having to wait for assembly machine 2s before you can start the game for real.