Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

microfolk posted:

Woah sorry!

It happens friendo. I wouldn't worry too much, long as you fixed it and didn't just leave it up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
ignoring the scarecrow and tinman, Roland's been rather fashionable this time around.

No rush and all, it's just that Roland's meltdown started before Halloween and well, it is this time of the year. A very so merry time we hold dear.

ignore the calendar image. Someone keeps stealing Malkuth's motivational calendars and Hod's puppies and kittens ones and replacing them with these.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NullBlack posted:

ignoring the scarecrow and tinman, Roland's been rather fashionable this time around.

:five:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

NullBlack posted:

No rush and all, it's just that Roland's meltdown started before Halloween and well, it is this time of the year. A very so merry time we hold dear.

ignore the calendar image. Someone keeps stealing Malkuth's motivational calendars and Hod's puppies and kittens ones and replacing them with these.

This is incredible.

And the less is said about the November I have had, the better. :shepface:

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

NullBlack posted:

amazing

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NullBlack posted:

Fantastic. Both Roland and the calendar.

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022

NullBlack posted:

Always count on roland to have the most E.G.O drip exspecially with the road home ego.
(Also roland lookin gnc af in that ozma ego)

(Also can i say that roland in the road home ego turns him into a proper tumblr sexyman

lyoid10 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 3, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Concerto 3: Chesed—Rondo

Music: Roland03

Ah… you lot have traveled quite a distance to come to me. You must be unhappy with your place in life. Come, tell me your troubles.

He's lost himself inside of the Abnormality. Angela..?

My available information on this Abnormality only refers to it as "The Adult who Tells Lies." It is linked to the other Abnormalities you have seen so far… but the related Abnormalities were kept separated to ensure that it would never be called.

Like the Magical Girls or the Birds… Pea, what's your gut say?

This feels like a performance. We need to play our part, or who knows what could happen.

It's as good a plan as any. Angela~?

I will keep you apprised of any changes.

False Throne posted:

Nothing is as deceptive as evident truth.

I’ll cast a spell that will make everyone happy.

Poor stuffing of straw. I’ll give you the wisdom to ponder over anything.

Do you think jabbering away with your oh-so smart mouth is all that matters?

Tin-cold woodsman. I’ll give you the heart to forgive and love anyone.

Who do you possibly expect to understand with that ice-cold heart of yours?

Cowardly kitten. I’ll give you the courage to stand up to anything and everything.

What are you even going to do when you lack the bravery to face anything head-on?

Last of all, road that is lost. I will send you home.

What are you fighting for so fiercely when you have nowhere to go back to?

I simply gave you what you wanted.

I can’t let it go. I can’t give up what is mine!!!

False Throne is more a series of trials than it is a boss fight. It has six different phases to work through, each of which has its own peculiarities, and for the most part Roland will be immune to damage.

On the first turn, we're more concerned with setup than we are with anything else.

…Hm. It seems like we've got options all of a sudden.

On the first turn, five unique pages are added to the hands of every single one of our Librarians. Each of them is an On Play page, and once one of our Librarians plays a page they lose all the other pages from their hand—the page they played is also removed from everyone else's hand as well. We need to ensure we play all five of them now, they'll be important to the tasks ahead.

In that case, let me try calling the spirit of the Woodsman.

Ah… I see. So you've come to gain a heart that will let you feel love and warmth.

In that case… I'll become the Scarecrow.

With your head full of straw, you wish only for the wisdom to think over the truths of this world… I understand your struggle.

The cat for me, then… since I took its help earlier.

O cowardly kitten, you come to me seeking the courage to walk forward. Surely, I shall be able to give you the courage you need to carry on.

In that case, I'll become The Road Home~

Ah, yes… you who have been displaced from your world. Come here, I know a way to get you back.

Muahaha… perfect! I wanted to see what this curse was all about anyways!

I believe my dealings with you have already concluded. Why have you returned?

Oh, you know. I love to meddle~

I see.

Now that we've taken care of the busywork for phase 1, we have to deal with False Throne's actual attacks.

Welcoming Salutations is a 10-10 Summation Mass Attack, and that means we can block it trivially so long as we put anything in the targeted Speed Die.

His other two attacks are relatively low Ranged attacks as well; nothing we need to be too concerned with.

Ooh, it seems I can control the pumpkins. Go forth, my minions!

Each one of the special pages grants a number of benefits, which we'll cover as they become relevant. One of the benefits of Ozma is Help Me, Jack!, a 0-cost page which gives all allies +2 Power on their offensive dice for the turn it's played. It also costs 0 and handily blocks How Noisy, so I immediately play it.

You've all journeyed far along that golden-clad road, and now you've arrived at my emerald city. I'm quite impressed with your drive… but you must be tested if you're to have your reward.

A test… that'll definitely mean fighting.

Like we weren't already planning to beat him up.

First off, allow me to offer to you my warmest… most fond…

Salutations.

Everyone's alright, yes?

Seems that way.

Of course. If such a simple greeting would harm you, then there would be no point in taking my tests at all.

You could just let us kick your teeth in so we can move on already.

Such noisy and boisterous children… please keep yourselves under control, now. We don't want anything unfortunate to occur, oh no no no.

A bit condescending, aren't you..?

Condescending, but hard as a rock. Sure enough, we don't have much choice except to play along.

Right, right. Now then… settle down, all of you. Your tests will be… Well, let's start with you, dear Woodsman.

What the… It feels so heavy all of a sudden..!

Come now. I've set you a perfect stage. Show them your warm and caring heart.

The second phase is built around Woodsman. False Throne summons a trio of Emerald Crystals, and cuts the maximum Light of all Librarians but Woodsman to 3. We have two turns to destroy all of the Crystals. Succeed, and we move on to the next phase. Fail, and we get punished.

That's Not It! is a slightly stronger Mass Attack, which inflicts Bleed to all our allies.

As for the Crystals, they don't have any attacks or abilities.

Those crystals… they're resonating with the enemy. If they're allowed to stick around, things will become much more troublesome.

With this sudden gravity, that might be a little…

Nah. I got this.

I can hear my heart beating… my breaths become one with the rhythm of my being. With each step forward I'll carve a path for the rest of you.

False Throne uses the other two attacks in his standard set this turn. Brimming Light is his Light Restoration page, and Please Be Gentle will tank our unit's Offensive die output if it hits. Both are still Ranged pages without particularly impressive die ranges, so they're also not a large threat.

I'll weaken the crystals. So much so that even a tap will finish them off. All I need you four to do is tap them once I'm done.

Sorry. If I could just unsheathe my sword…

Don't worry about it, Tweeds.

I've gotten out of way worse scrapes than this!

You'd best hurry, or your friends will suffer for it.

Don't worry about us, we're fine!

So long as he continues to toy with us in this little 'test,' he shouldn't use anything overly lethal.

Hey team, we're all set up here!

What? Already?! I wasn't set up-!

I do good work.

I'll just enjoy myself breaking this toy, then!

And that's the second one done~

Three! We're all set here.

So quickly…

Ah… I can't say I expected that. Hold on a moment, I'll keep you entertained while I prepare the next test.

Your heart was supposed to be hollow and empty… this should have been an immense challenge for you. How did this happen?

It looks like he wasn't expecting us to kick so much rear end.

I doubt we were supposed to be able to succeed at all, let alone so quickly…

So it's unfair play, is it? Well I have something in mind myself. A little prank, as it were!

I think I've just about gotten the hang of Ozma's curse. We might be able to use it to win!

Awesome! So, are you going to use it?

Doesn't work like that! Right now, he's trying to trick us. You can see it in his lying eyes. So, his guard's up. But if you can lower it…

I suppose we'll give it a try. Reserve your strength while we handle his attacks, everyone~

Oh, I see. You need more entertainment while I finish setting up the next test. Such rowdy children… Don't worry, don't worry. You won't get to the end if you keep being so loud.

So just quiet down for a moment, would you?

Says the person shooting emerald shards at us.

A test isn't any good without stakes, wouldn't you agree?

Pass/fail grading is stakes enough! You don't have to go putting spikes in!

Pass-fail… pass-fail. Yes, yes. I think that's what the next test will be, then.

Seyser, I think we're about to get hoodwinked.

Man, I hate it when that happens.

Don't worry, guys. There's no trick he can do that we can't beat!

Ahh, dangit. :sigh:

Here we are. A pass/fail test, without any entertainment from myself. That ought to make you children happy, yes? Now, Scarecrow, show me your wisdom.

Each of your four companions have been encased in crystal. I've given you the means of freeing them, but only if you can solve my riddle.

O scarecrow, full of straw, left alone and feared by all, four emeralds stand before, whose form you once adored…

Hm.

Shouldn't you be paying attention to the riddle?

There's no point. Sure, it's probably technically solvable, but we're trying to make him angry. Nothing makes a GM angrier than when the puzzle they spent so much time putting together gets trivialized by something they didn't expect.

Which would be?

Well… Yan was a Messenger of the Index. The Prescripts say who they go to, and the location that they're supposed to show up at. But I didn't ever see one mention who a person is. That means either Messengers know the faces of every member of the Index…

Or they can determine who a message is meant for by looking.

So by interpreting the solutions you were given as 'a prescript to deliver…' the body complies?

Seems like it.

The news is ordered and hints all given, now your wisdom prove, 'ere your companions find their ruin… Scarecrow, time to choose.

…Oh, you finished?

Don't tell me you weren't paying attention… I'm not going to repeat it.

Oh, yeah. No problem.

I figured it out already.

You… what?

Yeah. I just used my "wisdom" to see right through the crystal.

From there it's just matching the message to the statue. Just like a real Messenger.

You just… cheated your way through it.

Hahah… you know, now that I'm actually doing it myself, I can see the appeal of ruining someone's carefully-laid plans. Anyways…

Your empty head really thought of all of that on its own? No, that simply can't be… In that case, could it be..?

To all of you guys: Time to wake up!

Very well then. I'll allow this to be a pass, as you did… technically succeed.

Very well done, Twee.

Yeah. Not bad… for a vice-captain.

For today.

Pfeh. We'll see.

Hey… guys? You do see those floating, super-ominous looking skulls, right?

Ah, yes. That's your next test.

Hm… it seems like we've been weakened.

It's another part of the test, I'm sure!

Of course. Your knees are chattering, and your bodies feel heavy… because you face absolute terror.

The terror of the horrifying visages before you…

And the inescapable death they hold. So, cowardly kitten… What will you do?

Nothing at all!

I don't believe I was speaking to you.

While Scarecrow's phase is as easy as 'play cards as directed,' Scaredy Cat's requires us to play cards as directed and put a stop to four different attacks against our allies. It is also pretty easy due to the special page we get for this phase.

Show me if you can overcome that fear and-

…fear? Is that what I'm supposed to be feeling?

You don't have to pretend… You are facing death itself. It's natural that you would be frightened.

Nnnnnope. Hair still isn't shaking. This isn't even remotely a threat.

Bwahahahahaha! Oh, how deliciously ironic!

Seyser has more than enough Light and hand presence to go all out on three of the Scowling Faces, with the fourth one getting targeted by a pair of weaker pages.

You're so bold in how you sally forth. Where does that bravery come from?

I wouldn't call this 'bravery.' These things only look scary, don't they?

They would be instantly lethal to your friends, you know. If one hit lands, you're doomed.

You're a known liar, though. Why should I believe you over my own senses?

That's not… how this is supposed to work! You're supposed to be frightened, and struggle to be courageous!

With 15 Strength and the Faces having a weakness to every kind of Stagger damage, the only way that any of them could survive more than two dice from SeyserKoze is if we could somehow roll two 1's in a row. Given that none of our pages even have 1 results on them…

Seyser murders his way through every one of the Scowling Faces in 2 dice each.

Done.

You… no, none of this is right. The tests were supposed to be harder than this. So much harder… these faces aren't the ones you should be making.

Fine then. The wandering girl. You need to go home, right..? But even if you did go home, is there anything left for you waiting there? Why do you fight so fiercely for something that is behind you?

Every dream must have its end, mustn't it? I wouldn't say it's wrong to want to step forwards towards your own goal~

There is another option. You can simply create a new home, and then you will have reached it as you wished. This city is grand… I will allow you to stay here, in safety.

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not~

I'm afraid I must insist, my poor traveler.

This phase is a redo of the first phase in terms of attacks, but now we can deal Stagger damage to False Throne—once we've Staggered him, we'll move on to the next phase.

The Road Home's own passive doesn't help us much with this phase, giving Chesed some support abilities.

Each page has two copies, they can be used to either heal allies or give them Protection against damage.

Anyways, False Throne is still Marked, and SeyserKoze still has one turn left on Courage, giving him 15 total Strength, so we don't need to worry much about chewing through his SR.

He seems to be quite… insistent on my staying.

I'm still hopped up on that high from killing those Faces… want me to take it out on him?

I think we should all attack him together.

Oh. Sure… that works too, boss.

Once more… I welcome you, dear travelers, to my Emerald City. Please, make yourselves at home.

No thanks. We're good.

But this is a city of wonders. Full of anything you may want!

As long as that thing is emeralds?

I am offering you a place to belong. Why must you children be so ungrateful?

You're the one who started it with all of those 'tests' and whatnot.

Of course there were tests..! That's what life is. A series of tests, tribulations. You do for me, and only then do I do for you.

Or to us, yes. I'm quite familiar with the process, muahaha!

You're still here..? Actually, thinking on it… that explains everything.

Oh?

You put them up to this. Because you're jealous of my place on the throne. Because you blame me for your own mistakes.

Oh, so you are the lying sack of crap who made Ozma wind up that way. Thaat's what you meant by our dealings being done.

Don't play dumb with me. This was all you. All along.

And what's wrong with that?!

You lot were lying, this entire time… what you're after is my throne. This throne I worked so hard for… all the things I've gathered.

I was willing to test you. To even give you what you wanted. But no more…

You didn't engage with my carefully crafted puzzles. You blew through my encounters without a care in the world. I try to give one of you a cool moment, and philistines that you are you throw it in my face. I attempt to reward you… and you don't even want it anymore.

Fine! If you're so intent on every single thing I do…

I am through playing with you.

Playtime is Over!!! is the only attack that False Throne uses in his final phase, and he will use it with every one of his speed dice. We cannot beat any of these dice in a clash, and even if we could we'd be eating a total of -40 power to all dice next turn. Beating False Throne through conventional means is not really an option. We'll have to transform him into a different being… somehow.

I see… so this is his real power. Angela..?

It's well beyond any of you. Should he attack now, you will all be wiped out. We need an alternative measure.

Muhuhu… Perfect. This is perfect! He's so angry he isn't thinking straight anymore! Great job, everyone! You're the best group of accomplices I could have hoped for!

You've all had your important moments… but now it's my turn!

No… that cursed power. You were never supposed to be capable of accessing it!

If you tell me what I can't do, I'm just going to do it twice as hard! Three… two… one!

No-!

Muhu… muhuahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!!

What'd you do to him..?

I turned that punk into a pumpkin!

So it's just… over? Just like that?

Pretty much!

I was expecting more of a climax… but I guess this is fine, too.

It was ultimately a very Evil Kit-like way to settle things.

Let's go home, team. I should get another pot on before Roland comes to.

In that case, I shall excuse myself.

You don't want to stick around?

There is work to be done elsewhere. Cleaning up is your duty.

If you insist~

Chesed's Realization is long, but ultimately one of the easiest of them. By the time we get to it, we should have access to not only Myo and Gebura's pages, but also Multislash, Unlock, and a number of other absurdly powerful pages which allow us to overpower the first two phases with ease. After that, it's all just rehashing old puzzle battles, and while they're time consuming there's nothing that happens from Phase 3 onwards that is difficult. The only way to lose would be if we were to somehow accidentally delete Transmogrify from our deck during the final phase… which I have definitely never done. :lobcorp:

There used to be an old exploit where, if the Courage user had Rake, they could Stagger the Scowling Faces and steal one of their combat pages. Because False Throne did not have Courage, it would then become possible to instantly defeat him. This is no longer possible, but I assure you that it was very funny at the time. I have since been made aware that this actually works just fine still, which is :allears:

VIDEO
Music: None

Because I am certain you will never leave me.

Music: ChesedStory

I made up spurious lies to comfort myself. A runaway couldn’t be anything more than a runaway. I could never escape from the stigma I branded on myself. The shame I felt from things that were out of my hand… It’s inescapable, even for me.

I don’t attribute the suffering of some strangers to myself. That’s that… and this is this…

Some things just can’t be helped.

Sure. Let’s say that they were. And there’ll be still more things that are inevitable in the future.

Maybe we can’t change the things that are considered normal right away. Even then, we’ll know shame at the very least.

…Just by knowing? There’s no strength to get things done.

Roland. The fact that one knows is sufficient. It might get shelved deep in the back of the mind because life keeps you busy.

But, it can always be pulled back into the light. As long as you have the will. And when you bring it back up… it doesn’t have to be only one time. If you can do it time and time again…

Neither you, nor this City… No one could look down on the power it can create.

Shame, huh… The humiliation that I took part in perpetuating the pain of the City…

That’s what I think, anyway.

I get what you’re trying to say. I admit it. Yeah… It’s certainly true. Most aren’t even aware of what they’re doing.

You really understand me~? I’m touched.

You’re always welcome~

Music: Lobby

And so, we're done with Chesed's Realization, granting us the usual perks of E.G.O and the last 3 Abnormality Pages. Speaking of, we should take a peek at them!

Emerald is a very funny page, giving us a 5-cost combat page which lets us cancel out two pages that a target is playing. The pages selected are completely random, but this does set us up to more easily be able to get onesided attacks through, and it can cancel some very threatening attacks from our enemies.

False Present, meanwhile, gives us some generic buffs we can spread among our teammates, similar to the start of False Throne's battle. These show up on the E.G.O selection page and are technically cards, but I'll just list the effects here:

Liquid Courage: Deal +6 damage, take +3 damage.

Silk Sack of Sawdust: Recover 8 SR on clash win, lose 4 SR on clash lose.

Heart of Lead: Lose 5 HP and gain 1 Light each scene.

Home that Cannot be Reached: On clash lose, lose 4 SR and gain +2 Power on next die.

Transformation: Upon a successful attack in a clash, destroy the opponent’s next die at a 50% chance; upon taking a hit in a clash, destroy the next die of self at a 50% chance.

These buffs are pretty good overall, and can be built around… but it's a level 3 Abnormality Page, making it impractical to use.

Lastly, we have Magic Trick. As it is another level 3 page it's quite costly to get to… but it has inspired a number of unique strategies taking advantage of the ability to instantly reduce the cost of pages like Distorted Blade to 0. Being able to spam all of our highest-cost pages in a single turn for effectively 4 Light is exactly as crazy as it sounds, and Chesed's most well-known endgame strategies revolve around this page in one form or another. It's very good.

So, Tweeds. Now that you've seen how brilliant my leadership is—

Not a chance. I'm still the real captain.

Only in this timeline. Before, and probably most of the time before that…

Doesn't matter. Like you said: "hewing your way down some arbitrary path to try and get back the glory days that only live in your memory doesn't fix anything."

Smartass. You know this is different.

Oh yeah? How?

'Cause I'm the best.

Knowing shame… looking at what you're doing, and knowing it's wrong, huh..? Geez… he always leaves me with heavy stuff to think about.

That coffee's worth it, though.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"Time flows as life does, and life goes as time does."

R Corp waits for their revenge.

The Snake slithers away from danger.

Videos

Chesed 6
Chesed Realization (Unedited combat footage; may cause distortions. Watch at own risk.)

New E.G.O Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 4, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Let it be known that "The Adult Who Tells Lies" is a fuckin' sick name for the Wizard of Oz. And as TQ said in the update, Magic Trick is the key to Distorted Blade cheese. There's still one key part of that combo left to obtain, however.

New E.G.O Pages
With these, you basically want Homing Instinct and Faded Memories before all else. After that pick between either Harvest or Logging. False Throne is kinda not worth it in my experience.

That is an extremely large die. Since it's a ranged card that anyone can use and has a very big number on it, it's extremely useful for sniping troublesome pages that you can't clash with for one reason or another out of enemy actions before the round begins, and it's relatively cheap for EGO at only 4 light.

A four hit page that's almost mono-slash. Kim can make pretty good use of this, especially with that Bleed infliction. Without Kim, just go for Harvest over this and don't think twice about it.

Two mass attacks that basically do the same thing - provide some absolutely incredible party support. Must-picks. Being able to generate 8 light and draw 10 pages across the entire party is game changing.

I...guess it can have its uses? If you're doing, say, a Xiao run and things are looking hopeless you can bust this out for a last stand to get some damage in. But Chesed's really strong enough that you'll likely just win a fight without anyone dying. And if you're in a bad enough position that this card will be useful, chances are you can't afford that massive 7 cost. If it was a true revive it'd be worthwhile, but since it's just one turn I really can't recommend this.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 3, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Chesed ultimately ended up being my favorite floor to use in the game because of all the party support stuff it offers.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Solitair posted:

Chesed ultimately ended up being my favorite floor to use in the game because of all the party support stuff it offers.
In my opinion, it's the third best floor behind, naturally, Yesod and Gebura with the Red Mist+Myo combo. Since you can only have one of those two active at once since you only have one copy of Red Mist and Myo, that means that Chesed is technically the second best floor in the game.

It's just a drat shame that you get him at the same time as you get Gebura, causing his floor to be overshadowed rather badly when most people just plow through the rest of the game with the Red Mist in one way or another.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

When I did this fight I didn't quite get how the special Oz role cards worked, so I didn't play all of them turn 1. The game takes them away after turn 1. It turns out that without them, you lose the fight and need to do it over from the very start. I don't recommend that strategy.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Gilliam already went over it, but this is where you begin to truly appreciate Mass-Individual pages' ability to just slip damage in, because all Homing Instinct and Faded Memories need is one hit to get their real effects in. They're so good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I quite like this take on the Wizard of Oz. Not just the wizard themselves but the setting as a whole. Also that the realization essentially gets to turn the usual thread of the story on its head like all the others. What if The Road Home and the gang realized the things the wizard falsely gave them all on their own?

And the lesson Roland learns is also fascinating. Instead of simply accepting that what is is, learn to recognize and accept the shame of your part in it, but use that shame as motivation to do better. To not look away from the horrible things going on, or deny you can't do anything.

Also, get pumpkin'd idiot. Muahahahahaha!

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

NullBlack posted:

If I think it is what it is, then this is the funniest poo poo ever. Also, Malkuth is really cute in that christmas holiday season and so is Loland. I want Chesed cup.

TeeQueue posted:

Knowing shame… looking at what you're doing, and knowing it's wrong, huh..? Geez… he always leaves me with heavy stuff to think about.
That coffee's worth it, though.

Evil Kit posted:

And the lesson Roland learns is also fascinating. Instead of simply accepting that what is is, learn to recognize and accept the shame of your part in it, but use that shame as motivation to do better. To not look away from the horrible things going on, or deny you can't do anything.

Man, this game and more specifically this LP really help put in perspective a lot of things. Had I not read this LP, I think I would have gone past a lot of the subtler detail of the story. Man, this story slaps. Also give me more tools to deal with the bullshit of life so i guess that's nice.

Evil Kit posted:

Also, get pumpkin'd idiot. Muahahahahaha!

Pumpkin are overrated. Corn is wayyyyyy better.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

is it time for another of the worst abno fights in the game? :allears:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Qrr posted:

When I did this fight I didn't quite get how the special Oz role cards worked, so I didn't play all of them turn 1. The game takes them away after turn 1. It turns out that without them, you lose the fight and need to do it over from the very start. I don't recommend that strategy.

You also don’t want to give your Ozma to a librarian with a discard-focused deck. You will lose Pumpkify, not have it when Anger starts, get everyone killed, and need to do the Realization over.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It seems to me like it’s time to go to “Time…” but I’m not sure about it being another of the worst abno fights in the game…

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

AweStriker posted:

It seems to me like it’s time to go to “Time…” but I’m not sure about it being another of the worst abno fights in the game…

Surely, this will be a piece of cake for TQ. A chance to flex those LobCorp time management skills of his again!

Why, I bet he’ll even take on some self-imposed challenge to make it interesting.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
R-Corp! R-Corp! R-Corp!

What can I say, I enjoy voting for options that will inevitably lose out to abnormalities.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Qrr posted:

Ditto. I tried to save them until I knew what the first one did.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Like most every fight in this game, you can step all over it with this One Weird Trick. It's only hard if you let it be that way.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Huh, while getting these I found a surprising number of images regarding Roland in the Ozma Dress. Interesting. Anyway, now that this set of three is done, its time for some images!

Tiphereth drops in with a kick to the face.

Chesed shows just how sturdy his coffee mug really is.

And Gebura just uses Punch.

Angela: *poke-poke* "Hey. You still alive?" *poke-poke*

Roland: "UGH, yeah, I am still alive."
Angela: "Great. Because that is about to SERIOUSLY come into question."

Hokma: "Angela, I wanted to talk about how you brought the Tree of Light Plan come crashing down."
Binah: "I am just bored and looking for some entertainment."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
me rn: "Wait, that's a gavel. She's the magical girl of Justice. She's blind. Of course, dumbass."

neat art tho

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen enough. It's time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Don't worry TeeQueue, if you feel like you need more time just take a pause, don't let update times weigh on you much.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Also, let’s examine the Adult Who Tells Lies a bit. The first and most obvious I think is the explanation as to why everything went wrong, and it comes down to how they are the Wizard and Wicked Witch all in one, thus explaining the malevolence.

Secondly by reading what you get as cards for False Present, you can tell more of what happened to the rest of the Abnormalities. She gave them trinkets or spells that seemed to be what they wanted, but were in fact not. Scarecrow wanted a brain, so she gave a silk sack filled with sawdust. The woodsman wanted a heart, so she gave him one of cold iron. The lion wanted to be brave, so she gave some alcohol, liquid courage. Useless items, not solving the true problems or requests.

For The Road Home, she gave her a pathway to travel, a way to head home. However, the magic is a path TO home, never to actually arrive. So she shall travel forever, never reaching her destination. As for Ozma, her the Adult simply usurped, or perhaps her gift was to relieve her of worries and the pressures of ruling, by taking the throne as well as her memories. (And also possibly her legs too to weaken her.)

“Thankfully,” examining the story of the Abnormalities, it sounds like after all of this happened the Woodsman in a rage chopped the Adult to bits. So she might at least have gotten that punishment. Now you just have to deal with the raging or lost rest of the party.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Music

ChesedBattle01
ChesedBattle02
ChesedBattle03
ChesedStory

Abnormality Pages

Level 1

Chesed's Abnormality pages follow a couple of themes, and while none of them are bad a number of them are very good. Courage is outright the best option here, giving 3 Strength and Protection to whoever we choose for the entire battle. A simple +1 Strength is strong already, and a +2 is enough to take even with a bit of a downside on it… so this is absurd. Out of the rest, Cardiae is probably the best offensive option, and Gleaning is a solid defensive option. Rake isn't very good, since any time we could have it we're dominating the enemy—stealing the pages of an enemy we're already crushing is basically just a 'win harder' button.

Timber is relatively good against enemies with Shimmering, since they'll always have full Light, and while Torn-Off Wisdom has interesting synergies with discard decks its -2 Zone makes it very difficult to reach unless we play to lose for a turn.

Level 2

Chesed's Level 2 pages don't have anything as obviously overpowered as Courage, but there are some interesting picks to be had here. All of the clash wins we should be getting makes Emerald very obtainable, which can be used to cancel dangerous pages coming from big singular enemies. A Road Walked Together can be situationally useful, but without any way to force the enemy to target a single Librarian it's somewhat random if we get a power boost or not. Home is a pretty nice damage buff against single targets, but otherwise is finicky to use—there are more constant options for Power here.

On the negative side, Oblivion is a very powerful recovery page that costs us a turn to activate but can let us quickly recover our entire stockpile of Light. I don't like giving up any aggression for that, but it's serviceable. I vastly prefer A Warm Heart, which gives one Librarian +1-2 bonus power as long as they have 3+ Light. It doesn't show up as often as I'd like due to its -1 Zone and 0 having two different pages in it, but when it shows up it's a good pick. Lastly, Power of the Past is completely nuts. 3-4 Power is big, and if it wasn't a -2 zone Level 2 Abnormality Page it'd be worth building a character's deck around. As it is… it's a cool thing that we should never see.

Level 3

Out of our Level 3 pages, Magic Trick is powerful but requires us to be running builds with a lot of high-cost cards to really capitalize on it, making getting there a bit harder. Powder of Life, meanwhile, is an excellent safety net in a floor that really wants its full team surviving—but ideally we won't ever be low enough to have to fall back on the revival. That leaves False Present as a sort of default option, but really it's hard to go wrong with any of the Level 3 pages. Just pick the one that works for the strategy that you're using at the moment.

E.G.O.

Harvest is relatively cheap for an E.G.O page, at 4 cost, and its claim to fame is a die that rolls 25-35 as long as everyone is alive. This makes it the E.G.O equivalent of Headshot or Pinpoint shot, but MUCH larger. It's great for Staggering a target low on SR at the start of a round, or for breaking through one specifically powerful die. The Evade on the end is nice, too, but it's much more likely to lose a clash than that massive first die.

Logging is an immensely powerful 5-cost E.G.O which has one primary use case: We slap it onto whoever has the massive amount of Power boosts from Courage and any passives they can muster, and watch them do a bajillion damage in one shot. It's only okay at clashing without Power stacking, but the higher our numbers go the more potent it becomes.

The first thing to note about The Homing Instinct is that it is an 8-18 Individual mass attack. This means it's only targeting the first die on the enemy's page, so it can't break an entire page on its own—but it doesn't have to. THI is a sustain E.G.O that we want to use to give everyone else in the party back 2 Light. Its numbers are big enough that it'll consistently win whatever clash it's put in against at least one enemy, and that keeps the rest of the team going strong.

Faded Memories is arguably even better than The Homing Instinct. Its two dice are smaller than The Homing Instinct's are, but if targeted correctly each one should be able to hit at least one enemy. If it does, the entire team gets to draw 2 cards each. This allows Chesed to run slightly less drawtech than other floors, freeing up slots for more high-powered pages or Light recovery. It's a very strong option, and probably the best E.G.O on the floor.

Lastly, there's False Throne. It costs 2 more than Faded Memories, but comes with the same dice. The upside of it is that it can temporarily bring back allies who have already fallen in battle. They'll have 4 Light, and while they only last for one scene this sudden influx of actions might manage to swing things back in your direction if the situation is dire—and it had better, since they won't be coming back a second time. While I'm sure this comeback mechanic has saved someone, I am not them and I have never needed to use False Throne.

Final Thoughts

In Early Access, we didn't get access to Chesed's realization until around midway through the third row of receptions—as I recall, the only two they hadn't released yet were Xiao and Yan. Because of this I never really played around with Chesed's talents. We're in much the same position here, with only two unselected nodes to go in Star of the City before we get into the relatively more linear endgame, but looking at the floor's kit it's actually quite dangerous. A +3 Power to all offensive dice as a level 1 page is insane, and the floor has enough tricks with Light generation and additional ways to gain power that it's actually pretty nuts. I'll be playing around with him a bit during the upcoming receptions, so I'm looking forward to seeing just how well this floor performs now that I can really use it.

There is a mod that lets Chesed beat enemies to death with his coffee mug. There is also a mod that lets Gebura beat enemies to death with Chesed. Both are very popular.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 5, 2023

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

Chaosbrain posted:

Huh, while getting these I found a surprising number of images regarding Roland in the Ozma Dress. Interesting. Anyway, now that this set of three is done, its time for some images!

Tiphereth drops in with a kick to the face.

Chesed shows just how sturdy his coffee mug really is.

And Gebura just uses Punch.

Angela: *poke-poke* "Hey. You still alive?" *poke-poke*

Roland: "UGH, yeah, I am still alive."
Angela: "Great. Because that is about to SERIOUSLY come into question."

Hokma: "Angela, I wanted to talk about how you brought the Tree of Light Plan come crashing down."
Binah: "I am just bored and looking for some entertainment."

FYI these fanart are made by kankan33333.

Here's their Pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/14601125

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

StuffyEvil posted:

FYI these fanart are made by kankan33333.

Here's their Pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/14601125

Beware Spoilers for future opponents and abnormalities/Realizations!

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021

Chaosbrain posted:

“Thankfully,” examining the story of the Abnormalities, it sounds like after all of this happened the Woodsman in a rage chopped the Adult to bits. So she might at least have gotten that punishment. Now you just have to deal with the raging or lost rest of the party.

There's always the possible issue the "Adult Who Lies" being chopped up by the Woodsmen was just another lie though sadly.

Anyways I have to wonder how a fight against Adult Who Lies would work in Lob Corp style. Would it have 5 agents chosen to take on the roles of the other Oz abnos like it was here? Would X have to actually solve a real puzzle for the Scarecrow phase by commanding agents in specific ways? Would we command an Ozma agent to do the instant kill ala White Night and the Traitor Apostle or would it be something funny with the actual Ozma abno doing the action on its own to get its own revenge? Just honestly a lot of fun ways they could probably do the fight that its a little sad we'll never probably see it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

NotteBoy97 posted:

There's always the possible issue the "Adult Who Lies" being chopped up by the Woodsmen was just another lie though sadly.

Anyways I have to wonder how a fight against Adult Who Lies would work in Lob Corp style. Would it have 5 agents chosen to take on the roles of the other Oz abnos like it was here? Would X have to actually solve a real puzzle for the Scarecrow phase by commanding agents in specific ways? Would we command an Ozma agent to do the instant kill ala White Night and the Traitor Apostle or would it be something funny with the actual Ozma abno doing the action on its own to get its own revenge? Just honestly a lot of fun ways they could probably do the fight that its a little sad we'll never probably see it.

I'm imagining a four-phase fight with similar puzzles to this, ending with a tough brawl, but you can shortcut it if you also have Ozma in the facility and can induce her to breach.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

NotteBoy97 posted:

I imagine that it'd involve all three lesser Abnos roaming the facility, and you'd need to manipulate them somehow to get them to "swap sides" and turn on the Adult. Maybe having an Agent pick up a real version of the Adult's false gift and carrying it to them? With Ozma (not needed to summon the Adult) breaching to help you save the three Abnormalities and ultimately take on the Adult.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GilliamYaeger posted:

I imagine that it'd involve all three lesser Abnos roaming the facility, and you'd need to manipulate them somehow to get them to "swap sides" and turn on the Adult. Maybe having an Agent pick up a real version of the Adult's false gift and carrying it to them? With Ozma (not needed to summon the Adult) breaching to help you save the three Abnormalities and ultimately take on the Adult.

We already know that The Road Home breaching force breaches her friends (and the Scaredy Cat only Breaches if one of Road Home/Woodsman/Scarecrow have breached). She summons the House somewhere in the facility and then follows the Road she paints through the facility with her friends playing bodyguard and constantly re-breaching if you suppress them but not her.

I think Ozma and Adult would be "paired" above them if anything.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
I want to imagine some ending where you have to lure/guide Ozma, who moves as slow as Big Bird, to the Adult Who Tells Lies to perform the kill as seen here.

Perhaps all four of the others break out, as does the Adult Who Tells Lies that appears not unlike a Sephirath in one of the Department main rooms as an invincible target. However even with the other four abnormalities "out" you can still perform work on the containment rooms, and so you have to get Good Results on all four in a short period of time to move on to the next stage.

Another idea is AWTL is targetable, but its like the Apostles in that you can bring her down to 1HP but then she will gradually regenerate her HP and revive after a time. However during that time Ozma appears and becomes non-hostile, walking towards her. When AWTL is up Ozma is immobile and spawns Jacks to attack the employees/clerks, so you need to keep AWTL down long enough to let Ozma reach her to land the finishing blow.

The overall idea/scenario is less "counter or avoid the single bullshit and bumrush," its "deal with everything being generally kinda poo poo for a long time." The main four are not STRONG abnormalities, but during the event they just keep on breaking out again and again, like Red detecting the Wolf and Vice Versa.

SoggyWrist
Nov 11, 2021

NotteBoy97 posted:

Fun fact, the Wonderlab mod for Lobotomy Corp has an interpretation of her in it. There she acts as an Apocalypse Bird style event that appears when the Oz abnos breach together, though I don't believe Ozma is included. The Scarecrow/Woodsman/Road Home/Lion get trapped and you have to free them from eggs crystals, then they turn on the Adult to beat the daylights out of her.

On the topic of mods, here's some screencaps of the beautiful Chesed/Gebura mods that TQ mentioned. :allears:

There's so much great and..."great" stuff on the workshop that it feels like the whole workshop itself is some content-creating abnormality/distortion. If anyone is following along for the first time I would heavily advise staying away from the Steam Workshop though since there's a good chance of getting spoiled on stuff, obvious as it may seem. (I know I was when I peeked at it during my first run just to see what kind of stuff was there. :smith: )

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 44.5: Small Story 2

Music: TipherethStory

Kit what the hell have you done?!

Ohoho, you're so kind to jump right to me. But no, this is a collaborative effort between myself and Madam Twee!

You knocked the drat shelves over!

Constructively! What you see as a mess of books and bits, we see as the first-ever Heart-Pounding Library Maze of Doom!!

Ooh, nice naming sense!

Miss Angela is going to kill us if this gets back to her. You know that, right?

"I don't care what it is you lot do between our receptions, so long as you take responsibility for the act and clean up after yourselves…" Or so she said. So, we're in the clear.

Uh-huh. And how does that lead to making a giant maze in Natural Sciences?

Oh, it's not just NatSci. They made a mess of Language, too.

And I helped. It's all done, nerds.

You threw two floors into chaos for… Kit, even for you this is a lot.

Yes! Hence why I got help!

Forget about that for now. What're we doing?

Ah, right. I'll get the scenario out now. Ahem… "The fell wizard D'Tenebrais-"

Punch-wizard.

R-right. Punch-wizard. Has taken over a fifth of the Library's territory, making it into her own. As heroes, it is your job to overcome the minions of evil, and save the day.

This sounds awesome..!

It sounds like a combat exercise.

What's the matter? Scared I'll whip your rear end again?

…Alright, I'm in.

Then let the games begin!

This was a really interesting idea, Seyser. But why..?

Oh, Chesed wanted to meet up with the others. Since your bosses were going to be out, Evil Kit decided to start on something massive, and roped Twee in before anyone could say otherwise.

It's nice… I just hope nobody gets too beat up.

VIDEO
Music: ChesedStory

C’mon~ You’re acting up again.

Bah… I liked you a lot better when you were just a box of steel.

Wow, really? I guess today is my lucky day, getting compliments from Gebura of all people~

Huh? That wasn’t supposed to be a compliment, you…

Alright, cut it out, you two. Aren’t you sick of fighting already?

…This teal-haired turd keeps rubbing coffee in my face. I don’t get what’s so good about a cup of bitter bean water.

It’s an acquired taste, you know~

Go lap up that taste yourself, then. I don’t wanna bother getting used to it.

Don’t be so sour~ I got something sweet for the both of you this time, so give it a try for my sake, please~?

Mhm. That’s the one~ It’s actually called macchiato, though…

…Whatever, it’s all the same to me. That one was edible, I’ll admit.

I wasn’t a huge fan of it, though. The flavor of caramel was too strong for my liking…

Thus I’ve prepared a cup of Vienna this time~ This’ll suit you better.

Thanks for being considerate, but… why do you keep recommending us coffee, anyway?

Well, you see~ I thought it’d be nice to make at least one friend who understands the savors of coffee, y’know?

I mean, I could drink coffee with you if you’re so desperate for a café buddy. You just seemed weirdly insistent with Gebura.

Yeah, I gotta wonder what’s up with that.

Well… How should I put it? See, the thing about Gebura is that…

What?

The air’s taken a sharp turn to be menacing… I was just kidding~ I mean, it’s nice that we can gather round from time to time for a drink, isn’t it~? There’s no better reason than a hot cup of joe to bring us all together and chill~

It’s true, we’d usually be shut up in our own floors doing our jobs if it weren’t for breaks like this…

If that’s what this is for, there’s no reason to make it about coffee, right?

Maybe he doesn’t have any other excuses?

You hit the bullseye there, Tiph~

Forget it. In that case, I could just come up here with Tiphereth to hang out more often.

I don’t think we’re that friendly with each other… But still, it seems silly to me that you’re trying to make up reasons for us to meet, when all you needed to do was ask.

I’m honored to hear that~ So, back to this coffee… Wanna give it a try?

No reason to refuse a cup you prepared for me!

Music: GeburaStory

…Mmm. There's a nice spiciness to it that cuts through the bitter.

And the whipped cream is to your liking?

Don't fish for compliments, Chesed.

CRASH!!!

You've got a thousand years to go before you defeat me, weakling!

Not fair, you're only targeting me!!

Seems like the Librarians are up to something interesting.

Indeed. Would you like to go join in the fun~?

…Right after this cup. Don't wanna end things too early.

Videos

Small Story 2

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

Not fair, you're only targeting me!!

Skill issue.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dare you enter my magical realm?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

Skill issue.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
I'm just imagining Kit running around cackling like mad as they knock over all the books shelves.