Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

you are watching season 8 of the x files and fox mulder is nowhere to be seen, its this guy name doggett

I fucken hate that season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I ended up getting 3 cuz it's on sale I'm probably just gonna act like it's a TV series and roll with it and play it from the start later if it hooks me

godspeed, gamer

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Trails is my favorite game series, have fun, it's a lot of text and reading

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Terper posted:

it's a lot of text and reading

:sickos:

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Endorph posted:

Do not start with 4. Starting with 3 is like, theoretically possible but a lot of people's character arcs and general deals are set up in 1 and 2. There's characters from those games who show up briefly to have big dramatic moments in 3 and if you've only played 3 theyll just be guys. I'm not saying you literally can't but iunno if I'd recommend it.

I started playing with Trails 4 and I can safely say I have no loving idea what is going on, who anyone is, and I feel like I've been drowned under the game's myriad systems.

Wanna go back to it, but I guess I should probably play the first 3 befoore then hah

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm interested what the circumstance was where you found yourself in a position to play cold steel 4 but couldn't or didn't want to try any of the others

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Amppelix posted:

i'm interested what the circumstance was where you found yourself in a position to play cold steel 4 but couldn't or didn't want to try any of the others

I was looking for a JRPG and it had just come out so I bought the new shiny game in the nintendo store, and then I started playing other games and forgot to buy the first 3 to go through the backlog

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

yeah, like i said, cold steel 3 is technically a new starting point, there's a years long gap between it and 2 and the protag of the series is in a new situation with new characters while the returning characters mostly play support, but cold steel 4 picks up literally seconds after cold steel 3 ends

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Going back to the TV series analogy, 1 and 2 are the first season, and 3 and 4 are the second season. Starting at 3 may be a little awkward, but starting at 4 will throw you right into the deep end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Cold Steel 4 isn't even just the climax of the first three CS games either; It's the culmination of Trails in the Sky and the Crossbell games as well so you have zero context of plot coming at you from three directions.

For a comparison it's more like if you wanted to try the Stargate TV series; You could start with the pilot, or reasonably Stargate Atlantis... and instead decided to check out one of the two TV movies instead that wrap up everything.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
troubleshooter would be a better game if the first like four hours didn't exist

because god drat does it start slow

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

troubleshooter would be a better game if the first like four hours didn't exist

because god drat does it start slow

I kind of like it, honestly. You have this early phase where your office is two dudes working out of the back room of a dingy bar and doing whatever minor things you can to build up your reputation and make connections and it kind of builds a nice basis for things as the plot fills out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah i like it too. its good story wise and fleshes out the "this is one long season of a tv show" vibes the game has. i don't blame people for getting frustrated with it because the game isn't really showcasing the game elements the best way there though. you are not really getting a sense for how fun the builds and different classes are when you have 2 unique guys and then a bunch of generic npcs.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 2, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd describe the plot and characterization of Troubleshooter as a marathon rather than a sprint, and the game spends an absolute ton of time fleshing out not only the main cast but literally all of the side characters and the villains, so it being a slow burn is in service of that. I can appreciate that it might feel slow and not for everyone, but I think it would lose a lot of its charm if it was shorter and more bullet pointed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd recommend just powering through the story on easy until you can recruit more characters. doing the early game optional side missions with just sion and albus really doesn't do the game any favors.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah do at whatever difficulty you want the game is super easy at the start

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, I think the one thing that's really annoying me in Undernauts is how slowly they're doling out the promotion item. I guess you'll only ever need 6 total due to how nice it is about respecs, but I'm 4/9 dungeons in and still have only gotten the one.

Edit: On that note it's weirdly funny to just have a part in your help menu that explicitly gives you sort of a basic dungeon progression chart. You can TECHNICALLY explore things in wildly different order after the first three but it REALLY HEAVILY wants you to go a specific way.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 2, 2021

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, I think the one thing that's really annoying me in Undernauts is how slowly they're doling out the promotion item. I guess you'll only ever need 6 total due to how nice it is about respecs, but I'm 4/9 dungeons in and still have only gotten the one.

Edit: On that note it's weirdly funny to just have a part in your help menu that explicitly gives you sort of a basic dungeon progression chart. You can TECHNICALLY explore things in wildly different order after the first three but it REALLY HEAVILY wants you to go a specific way.

You can get early promotion argens from the 2nd optional treasure dungeon otherwise they're all gated slowly by static purple enemies in story dungeons. There are 2 bosses in the Phantom Stronghold that drop one each every time. You can enter the stronghold via the NPC in the lower portion of the Cathedral dungeon.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/undernauts-labyrinth-of-yomi-launches-october-28-in-the-west-ps5-version-in-2022.467826/post-76203585

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
seriously though if you have even a vague interest in the trpg genre and enjoy a slow burn, checkout troubleshooter. its one of those games you can just feel the dev's ambition and passion for as you play, and it delivers on it.

Kanos posted:

I'd describe the plot and characterization of Troubleshooter as a marathon rather than a sprint, and the game spends an absolute ton of time fleshing out not only the main cast but literally all of the side characters and the villains, so it being a slow burn is in service of that. I can appreciate that it might feel slow and not for everyone, but I think it would lose a lot of its charm if it was shorter and more bullet pointed.

100%
it wouldn't be nearly as effective near the end of the game when it starts drawing out the web of connections between everybody and recontextualizes characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I need to play more of it but I did at least make my steam profile background the goth witch and buff greatsword lesbian powercouple

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

I need to play more of it but I did at least make my steam profile background the goth witch and buff greatsword lesbian powercouple

lmao, i have that as my background too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

lmao, i have that as my background too

hell yeah!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
game has so many good gay ships, im a fan of the engineer and the sniper. i looked and was surprised at the lack of fanart for the game. its the type of thing where if i have a disposable income i would be commissioning the ladies kabedoning each other.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't think Troubleshooter even has any straight ships. Everyone is either pretty gay or completely uninterested (like Albus, who is exclusively worksexual).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't think Troubleshooter even has any straight ships. Everyone is either pretty gay or completely uninterested (like Albus, who is exclusively worksexual).

You could construct something plausible out of Irene/Albus, Kylie/Ryo, or Heixing/Kylie if you really wanted to. Kylie/Giselle is a funny idea but even the game mechanics make it really clear that Kylie loving hates Giselle, given that Kylie has a locked relationship level with Giselle which is something no one else has going on.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Infinity Gaia posted:

ray has that lady friend that mentions albus is ray's type

but ray and her lady friend are also a good ship so . . .

Kanos posted:

Kylie/Giselle is a funny idea but even the game mechanics make it really clear that Kylie loving hates Giselle, given that Kylie has a locked relationship level with Giselle which is something no one else has going on.

that is why its good, nod nod
the appeal is them glaring at each other, not being lovey dovey, nod nod

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 2, 2021

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I didn't find it that annoying since the promotion's big deal skills are locked to level 25/30 which means some classes kind of don't care for a long time anyway *cough*Bulwark*cough*, but it does make it really annoying if you make a poor choice on who to use the first one on.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Infinity Gaia posted:

By the way the fact that the drat cup noodle collectibles are actually tracked in some sort of order in your items list is going to make me go crazy. I've apparently found the first and third of them, but not the second, and I'm pretty close to done exploring the initial three floor setup as far as I can tell.

You can check the quest list for which ones you have yet to find, too. I now have all of them except the goddamn kimchi flavour, which I've narrowed down to one or two dungeons based on its place on the list but I got tired of searching for it and am probably going to wait until somebody posts a guide.

Alard posted:

I didn't find it that annoying since the promotion's big deal skills are locked to level 25/30 which means some classes kind of don't care for a long time anyway *cough*Bulwark*cough*, but it does make it really annoying if you make a poor choice on who to use the first one on.

Yeah, some of the classes get game-changing improvements immediately on promotion (either from skills that unlock at level 1 or from access to extra skill levels on their core skillset) and others are a lot more incremental until you get their high-level skills. I'd personally recommend promoting your Cleric first because that unlocks extra levels for their party buffs, giving everyone a significant boost in effectiveness. Fortunately, you can check the promoted skillsets before promoting anyone - and once a character is promoted, the game remembers that they're eligible for promotion even if you class-change them, so you can swap them into the other promotion tree or a different class entirely without needing another promotion item.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 2, 2021

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

it's better to promote your sorc or cleric to comp. versions before everyone else so they get access to enervate (neuters enemy magic) and buff dispel blocking

bulwarks are late bloomers and aren't even necessary if you evasion tank with a ninja spamming illusion

their main purpose is intercepting attacks at rear party members, but a comp. tactician can also do it passively without sacrificing their offense

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Gyoru posted:

it's better to promote your sorc or cleric to comp. versions before everyone else so they get access to enervate (neuters enemy magic) and buff dispel blocking

bulwarks are late bloomers and aren't even necessary if you evasion tank with a ninja spamming illusion

their main purpose is intercepting attacks at rear party members, but a comp. tactician can also do it passively without sacrificing their offense

I ended up promoting both my casters to Spec and using a Comp Hunter for my dispel-blocking needs instead; they're a surprisingly versatile support class, and hopefully I won't ever need to put Whistle and buff protection back up on the same turn.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can't make me not have the mc be a heavy tank even though its mechanically suboptimal in basically every game ever made, sorry.

The spells which are "gain a permanent bonus until you stop exploring" are real fun

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

You can't make me not have the mc be a heavy tank even though its mechanically suboptimal in basically every game ever made, sorry.

The spells which are "gain a permanent bonus until you stop exploring" are real fun

You can respec out of them once you've put them up, too, if you need the skill points for something else. Being able to respec skills in the middle of a dungeon feels almost like an exploit, but if the game's gonna give me the option I'm gonna use it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I picked up Divinity: Original Sin II in the steam sale after never playing it before, and I'm having a lot of fun muddling through the game without looking up any real guides. Is it a major issue if I'm not following a build guide in this game? I'm playing on classic and I'm at the end of act 1 at the moment and its difficult but manageable. There are times when I'm not sure what to invest a skill point in, and I'm also not sure whether it's worth having a character set up to use a ranged weapon and a melee weapon. My player character is the magic + assassin class, so I have the right attack stat (finesse) to use ranged weapons as well as daggers etc, but idk if I'm gonna end up significantly weaker if I split the build across ranged and assassin-y skills.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You are just about to unlock a free and unlimited respec option so it's very much not a problem.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Amppelix posted:

You are just about to unlock a free and unlimited respec option so it's very much not a problem.

Oh thank god, I was wondering if there was going to be a respec button. It's pretty cool that they give it to you after you've spent an entire act bumbling around and learning the ropes, tbh. I know this game always shows up as one of the best RPGs, but coming into it blind I'm blown away by how good it is at introducing the gameplay and the story/setting. I haven't found any moments where things are really boring or overwhelmingly confusing.

It's just, intro cutscene about what kind of crime gets a person sent to magic jail, you wake up on a boat to magic jail, and as soon as you shipwreck at magic jail you can talk to anyone you run into about how to break out of magic jail. Compared to this, I bounced off Pillars of Eternity in the first hour because it felt like tens of thousands of words full of proper nouns and vague high fantasy whatever in every dialogue box.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thuryl posted:

You can check the quest list for which ones you have yet to find, too. I now have all of them except the goddamn kimchi flavour, which I've narrowed down to one or two dungeons based on its place on the list but I got tired of searching for it and am probably going to wait until somebody posts a guide.

I'm almost certain that one is in the graveyard forest zone somewhere. If I had to hazard a guess, it's the one that's not REALLY in a dead end, laying in a puddle of water in I think one of the actual saint gravestone areas? I remember that one being kind of a gotcha since the game teaches you the things are in suspicious dead ends but in this case the suspicious thing is an incongruous wet tile.

In regards to promotion, I didn't think it'd take so long to get a second one so I promoted my fencer MC to comp.fencer first so I could get an AoE melee attack since it was lacking from my party. It's not like he's BAD but I wish I had given it to my Cleric instead so I could have a stronger party buff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Red Bones posted:

Oh thank god, I was wondering if there was going to be a respec button. It's pretty cool that they give it to you after you've spent an entire act bumbling around and learning the ropes, tbh. I know this game always shows up as one of the best RPGs, but coming into it blind I'm blown away by how good it is at introducing the gameplay and the story/setting. I haven't found any moments where things are really boring or overwhelmingly confusing.

It's just, intro cutscene about what kind of crime gets a person sent to magic jail, you wake up on a boat to magic jail, and as soon as you shipwreck at magic jail you can talk to anyone you run into about how to break out of magic jail. Compared to this, I bounced off Pillars of Eternity in the first hour because it felt like tens of thousands of words full of proper nouns and vague high fantasy whatever in every dialogue box.

Pillars II vastly improved upon the original by relegating the main plot to less than 10% of the game. The critical path has...four dungeons, the last of which has no common enemies.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Re: Troubleshooter relationships

Nothing says "just gals being pals" more than Giselle and Jane having breakfast together while wearing what I'm pretty sure are each other's shirt. I do hope they give Jane a unique voice eventually instead of the generic female police one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm assuming troubleshooter is genderbend tf2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Which tf2