Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

It's a bit small but I really like my XP Pen Aritst 10. Just a USB C connection and it's also a pen tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Looking for recommendations for a small backpack or sling to hold a mirrorless camera and 2 lenses that will allow me to bike around the city confidently. I was putting my last camera in my panniers and, well, that was a bad idea because it broke from the jostling. Alternatively, a good soft shell case that I can put in my panniers. Waterproofing and at least some shock absorption are way more important to me than easy access to my stuff -- I don't need to be able to whip my camera out at a moment's notice necessarily.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 20, 2024

mes
Apr 28, 2006

If you have a backpack you like already, you could just get a camera bag insert, ex. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1461732-REG/ruggard_pib_1mg_camera_insert_gray.html

Peak Designs also makes camera cubes that look pretty good.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah, that's perfect and both cheaper and less dorky looking than a lot of the bags I was seeing. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've found that camera bags tend to be really poor options too. They're all bulky and heavy and end up being really inflexible too. I've been much happier adapting a generic bag that actually fits me.

Padded camera wraps exist too and are an alternative/supplement for ICU's that are worth looking at. Can wrap a lens in a soft neoprene layer and then cram it into a layer of clothes or a jacket or whatever and you got a really safe and space efficient storage option.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Coincidentally I was also looking around for something similar recently. I have a few plane trips later this year, short and long distance, so I was hoping to find a backpack that could competently double duty as a carry on bag and camera bag. Nothing really came up in my price range that could actually fit a decent amount of stuff in. It looks like a regular backpack with an insert is definitely the way to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Osprey is my first stop for that kind of stuff. They're primarily known as a hiking pack company but they have a pretty big lineup and at least in my eyes their backpacking experience results in some really good travel/daily use stuff. They don't make it anymore but I got their Apogee a ways back (it looks like the Tropos is basically the same), it was sold as a laptop/commuter bag but it ended up being excellent for 1-2 days of clothes plus my camera stuff. It even works well on day hikes.

Biggest downside is they aren't cheap at all.

Added bonus is if you have an REI nearby you can try them on and if you buy it and end up not liking it their return policy is really generous.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Tenba inserts are great and super cheap, I've been using the byob 9 for like five years and it easily fits in my regular (Timbuktu Authority) backpack. Holds my X-E3, an attached lens, one other lens plus accessories. The 7 might also work depending on the lenses, each are like 30-40 bucks online and imo worth a shot before going for a more expensive option

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Tenba BYOB 9 was the one I landed on in the end, I just need to be able to cram it into a regular fjallraven backpack

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I want to save up for a nice wide-angle zoom since I'm getting tired of switching back and forth between my 20mm and 50mm primes - actually I'm fine with it, I think I just have GAS, but I also miss using a zoom yank for rear-sync light trails.

So I'm looking at the two Nikon Z models, the (gently caress i always get these numbers mixed up) 28-75mm f/2.8 And the significantly more expensive 24-70mm f/2.8 S model. Reviews seem to suggest that what I'm mostly doing (event photography) means I probably won't miss the extra build quality and features of the S lens, but I'm curious to hear the thread's thoughts on them.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It's a rebranded Tamron along with the other two lenses mentioned on the Nikon product page for the lens. I don't have experience shooting either but Tamron puts it out themselves with some optical upgrades apparently as the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III VXD G2

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have one of the small peak design inserts and its really nice, has enough space for an x-t3 with the 23mm on, plus a couple other lenses, fits fine into an old swissgear and also has attachment points you can use to just put a strap on it directly and use it as an independent bag.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to save up for a nice wide-angle zoom since I'm getting tired of switching back and forth between my 20mm and 50mm primes - actually I'm fine with it, I think I just have GAS, but I also miss using a zoom yank for rear-sync light trails.

So I'm looking at the two Nikon Z models, the (gently caress i always get these numbers mixed up) 28-75mm f/2.8 And the significantly more expensive 24-70mm f/2.8 S model. Reviews seem to suggest that what I'm mostly doing (event photography) means I probably won't miss the extra build quality and features of the S lens, but I'm curious to hear the thread's thoughts on them.

I feel like you'd need to make a judgement with if the extra width in focal length (24mm vs 28mm) on the wider end is worth the extra cash, especially if you're used to using a 20mm for your wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

Osprey is my first stop for that kind of stuff. They're primarily known as a hiking pack company but they have a pretty big lineup and at least in my eyes their backpacking experience results in some really good travel/daily use stuff. They don't make it anymore but I got their Apogee a ways back (it looks like the Tropos is basically the same), it was sold as a laptop/commuter bag but it ended up being excellent for 1-2 days of clothes plus my camera stuff. It even works well on day hikes.

Biggest downside is they aren't cheap at all.

Added bonus is if you have an REI nearby you can try them on and if you buy it and end up not liking it their return policy is really generous.

Knot My President! posted:

The Tenba inserts are great and super cheap, I've been using the byob 9 for like five years and it easily fits in my regular (Timbuktu Authority) backpack. Holds my X-E3, an attached lens, one other lens plus accessories. The 7 might also work depending on the lenses, each are like 30-40 bucks online and imo worth a shot before going for a more expensive option

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The Tenba BYOB 9 was the one I landed on in the end, I just need to be able to cram it into a regular fjallraven backpack

Thanks for all the recommendations! I remembered I already had a good backpack in the back of the closet that I just hadn’t used since the ol’ pandemic and the BYOB 9 looks like it’ll be a perfect fit, which is great!