Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

mastajake posted:

If you're going to require players to pay that much all at likely the same time of the game, you should probably not have a wallet that limits the amount of rupees you can carry.

But why are you trying to buy them all at the same time anyway? You're told to go find them and given a chart to their locations before you can even get half of them, and three of them can be stumbled onto before you've even gone to Hyrule for the first time.

I dunno, when I first played Wind Waker I spent a lot of time ignoring what I was told to do and just sailed around finding poo poo, am I in the minority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

People complain about this a lot when talking about the Triforce hunt and I'm not really sure why. There is SO MUCH MONEY to be found in Wind Waker, all you have to do is explore the islands and open treasure chests. You know, that thing you do in Zelda games. Hell, some of the rooms with Triforce Charts in them have enough money in that same room to pay for the chart. It's not like there's actually anything else to spend that money on.

I've never wanted for cash in Wind Waker, but having to sit through that same conversation so many times is a little annoying to me. On replaying the game, I figured I could just gather up all eight charts and get them deciphered in bulk, but nope. It's a little thing to get frustrated with, and doesn't stop WW from being one of my favorite games, but

man I just don't like WW Tingle okay

edit:

LAY-ZX posted:

But why are you trying to buy them all at the same time anyway?

Different people do things different ways, c'mon man. Don't celebrate that portion for being open-ended and then tell people their way is wrong.

Looper fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 4, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

That loving Sned posted:

Motion controls. It's the worst thing to ever happen to combat in Zelda games. It could be as good as Devil May Cry, Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma, which all take inspiration from it, but it still hasn't improved much since Ocarina of Time.
Motion controls don't really have anything to do with the combat system stagnation so much as the stark reduction in the variety of enemies since Majora's Mask. We've not seen a Dead Hand since Ocarina of Time; not seen a Like Like in any 3D Zelda since Majora's Mask. By the time I got to the end of Skyward Sword I was so sick of Bokoblins that Ghirahim's little gauntlet of hundreds of Bokoblins, mowing them down with the fully powered up sword, was so satisfying.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Motion controls. It's the worst thing to ever happen to combat in Zelda games. It could be as good as Devil May Cry, Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma, which all take inspiration from it, but it still hasn't improved much since Ocarina of Time.

I don't know anything about how Dragon's Dogma plays, but Zelda can't have combat as good as action games like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, or Ninja Gaiden unless Nintendo is willing to go all out and make Zelda really challenging.

Skyward Sword had issues, but I think it did have the best combat (and boss fights) out of any 3D Zelda since the N64 games.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
People that don't like Majora's Mask serious question - are achievements/trophies important to you in modern games?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nope. They're nice to get, but unless it's a game I love to death, I feel no compulsion to cheevo-mine.

A lot of achievements are bullshit, anyway. You passed the first level! Hooray, you're as smart as a five-year-old! :rolleyes:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nope. They're nice to get, but unless it's a game I love to death, I feel no compulsion to cheevo-mine.

A lot of achievements are bullshit, anyway. You passed the first level! Hooray, you're as smart as a five-year-old! :rolleyes:

Man, have you watched a five-year-old play a video game? Because I have, and they're terrible at video games and often lose interest before clearing the first level.

I've heard that a lot of companies use game progression achievements as a way to track how far into the game most players get. They can see how many online players got each achievement, so they can see data like "40% of the players who did not complete the game stopped after level 5 but before completing level 6. What is it about level 6 that makes people quit?"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That loving Sned posted:

This is a pretty comprehensive review of Skyward Sword, which demonstrates a lot of its flaws in comparison to previous Zelda games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAjK7wd5QE

I watched the whole thing and it made me really glad that I never bothered to get a MotionPlus controller.

On the bright side it sounds like a HD remake without any waggle controls would make the game fairly bearable although still flawed.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't know anything about how Dragon's Dogma plays, but Zelda can't have combat as good as action games like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, or Ninja Gaiden unless Nintendo is willing to go all out and make Zelda really challenging.

Skyward Sword had issues, but I think it did have the best combat (and boss fights) out of any 3D Zelda since the N64 games.

They're able to have much higher skill ceilings because their combat systems are so diverse, responsive and fluid. You may have a point with Dark Souls, which wouldn't really work with a low difficulty level, but Devil May Cry games often feature enough difficulty settings that even a brand new player can make it through without a problem.

Besides, complexity does not directly correlate to difficulty. The first Zelda game has only one sword attack, which stops Link in place and can only be done in one of four directions. Clearing a room full of Darknuts with the sword is very challenging, due to the need to predict their movement and change your positioning accordingly.

The problem with combat in Zelda games is that once you figure out the strategy, it's trivial to kill almost any enemy in the game without taking damage. The most challenging enemy in Ocarina of Time, the Darknut, just requires you to move close, wait for it to attack, back off, then jump slash. You never fight more than two at once, and since it's possible to activate one by itself, then there's no additional difficulty.

I understand that a child may not want to face difficult segments that require them to learn enemy patterns or the limits of the combat system, but that's why a single difficulty setting can't please everyone. Just doubling the amount of damage enemies do in 3D's Master Quest doesn't solve anything, it just means I actually have to use my fairies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I really think the "simon says" enemy patterns and general inability to use items effectively in battle drag it way down. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess built a lot on the combat engine of the N64 titles and were incredibly fun, Skyward Sword was a huge, huge step back to me.

Also WW played a little tune with the impact noises when you landed combos. :3:

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about the minor password secrets in the Oracle games. All throughout a linked game, there are NPCs that don't appear normally, who give you passwords to enter in the game you already beat for some sort of upgrade, which also gives you another password to enter into the game you got the first password to have the upgrade in both.

So much stuff you can't get if you only play one of them. Extra level of sword and shield upgrade, more carrying capacity for seeds and bombs, biggoron's sword and at least one heart container.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

It's probably my second favorite all time behind Stone Tower Temple, if just for the perfectly eerie atmosphere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU

Just bringing this back to say that the first time I played OoT was like, 3 or 4 years after it came out on the N64, and I hadn't read anything about the game. So imagine being hit with the time jump to a destroyed city, then the first dungeon you enter is THAT creepy music.

Plus the Wallmasters show up for the first time here too don't they? I've always, ALWAYS hated them, ever since the beginning.

Though OoT is not my favorite Zelda it certainly had great atmosphere.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ShadeofDante posted:

Just bringing this back to say that the first time I played OoT was like, 3 or 4 years after it came out on the N64, and I hadn't read anything about the game. So imagine being hit with the time jump to a destroyed city, then the first dungeon you enter is THAT creepy music.

Plus the Wallmasters show up for the first time here too don't they? I've always, ALWAYS hated them, ever since the beginning.

Though OoT is not my favorite Zelda it certainly had great atmosphere.
Zelda's had Wallmasters since 1, bastard things, though I think OoT was the first one where you get their shadows as a warning.

I love the little interrogative noise they make in WW. RrrrrowwWW?

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 5, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Runcible Cat posted:

Zelda's had Wallmasters since 1, bastard things, though I think OoT was the first one where you get their shadows as a warning.

I love the little interrogative noise they make in WW. RrrrrowwWW?

Well in 1 they came out of the walls :v: not falling down from the ceiling. Is there a sperg spreadsheet somewhere that has enemies listed by game? That would be pretty great.

Dec 26, 2012

Peewi posted:

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about the minor password secrets in the Oracle games. All throughout a linked game, there are NPCs that don't appear normally, who give you passwords to enter in the game you already beat for some sort of upgrade, which also gives you another password to enter into the game you got the first password to have the upgrade in both.

So much stuff you can't get if you only play one of them. Extra level of sword and shield upgrade, more carrying capacity for seeds and bombs, biggoron's sword and at least one heart container.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Biggoron's sword in those games. That thing was so :black101:

Dec 26, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Except Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zeldacdi/zeldacdi.htm

e: sorry, double post

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really think the "simon says" enemy patterns and general inability to use items effectively in battle drag it way down. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess built a lot on the combat engine of the N64 titles and were incredibly fun, Skyward Sword was a huge, huge step back to me.

I love WW but the combat was incredibly straightforward and kinda boring outside of buss fights. You just dodge-hit everything. The only reason it was fun was because of those awesome impact tune noises. SS was literally the first Zelda where I had fun fighting outside of boss fights or one-on-one duels. v:shobon:v I didn't hate the previous ones or anything but combat just was something where I didn't even really need to look at the screen aside from a handful of battles and I wanted to get back to the puzzles and exploration. SS's shield parry mechanic alone was more fun to me than most.

The best Zeldas are LttP and MM tho' and it isn't because of their fighting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 5, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Peewi posted:

Don't forget bombchus!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You know, I have never really found a use for bombchus in any game. Unless there's a puzzle specifically for them, it's just awkward pain to use those things.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I watched the whole thing and it made me really glad that I never bothered to get a MotionPlus controller.

On the bright side it sounds like a HD remake without any waggle controls would make the game fairly bearable although still flawed.
There were some really stupid uses of Motion Plus in that game, but overall they're not the big problem. The segmented overworld is so densely packed that it becomes a chore to navigate, and that throws off the pacing. It's kind of like a reverse Twilight Princess in that regard. It's sill absolutely a game worth playing, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Peewi posted:

I bought both titles in on the 3DS but haven't gotten around to playing them (I want to beat Link's Awakening again first), are they automatically linked if you have both? Is there a way to play the "linked" games on the 3DS? I never got the chance to back when I first played the games and I wouldn't know what's changed or how to activate it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

I bought both titles in on the 3DS but haven't gotten around to playing them (I want to beat Link's Awakening again first), are they automatically linked if you have both? Is there a way to play the "linked" games on the 3DS? I never got the chance to back when I first played the games and I wouldn't know what's changed or how to activate it.

To do linked games, you use passwords. You have to enter them yourself.

In the original release, you could use two game boys and a link cable instead of passwords. This is not available in the 3DS Virtual Console release.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yqwvYo5PA

So this is related. Also pretty cool and well shot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know, I have never really found a use for bombchus in any game. Unless there's a puzzle specifically for them, it's just awkward pain to use those things.

Goes for most weapons except sword, bow and boomerang. I rarely even use regular bombs as a practical weapon unless its some special enemy in most games.

When you think about it Zelda games are weird games. The combat and puzzles are never particularly good and yet the games stay afloat on some kind of hidden factor of enjoyment.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's because they're games about exploration and going around picking up items, which is why Zelda 1 is the best Zelda for all time.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

The combat and puzzles are never particularly good
Someone hasn't played the Oracle games, I see

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's because they're games about exploration and going around picking up items, which is why Zelda 1 is the best Zelda for all time.

Wind Waker. :colbert:

Actually it's kinda weird. I think Link to the Past is the best "Zelda" game, but I also think WW and MM are better (read: more enjoyable) actual games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think LttP is the most consistant game. It's got tons to do, fun visuals, the combat is solid enough, the puzzles are solid enough, and in general is just does everything right.

I think Majora's Mask's heights are higher but its lows are also lower. It's a unique and distinctive game but when it sucks it really sucks but the atmosphere and general tone and just everything about it makes it worth trucking through those moments.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AASman posted:

People that don't like Majora's Mask serious question - are achievements/trophies important to you in modern games?

I like achievements and I think Majora's Mask is one of the best games ever made.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Oh god I have 59/60 poe souls in Twilight Princess, and I have no idea where the last one could be.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like Majora's Mask because its very much a video game. You generally have a lot of options and secrets to find and you aren't forced to do everything in a certain order. The time limit also encourages you to make the best use of available time, which was also good in Pikmin.

Skyward Sword has a lot of neat designs but it feels so much more linear. Even in a fairly open game like Oracle of Seasons there are some things you randomly can't do until the storyline catches up.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lurdiak posted:

I actually have heard the opposite from a fair amount of people. Some people I know that played the game didn't like the sword combat or just couldn't get it to click, so they'd often figure out ways to get around needing to use directional slashes with other items. For instance, some people would use the bow to snipe the moblin/bokoblin guys from a distance. Others would whip out the slingshot and get stuns to be able to swing their sword in any direction.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The best way to deal with enemies in Skyward Sword is just to run by them. You can bypass a ton of fighting if you just run away because everything is too god drat slow to chase you. Then they lock you in a room and force you to deal with the horrible combat.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda games locking the doors of a room until you clear it of enemies? Those bastards, they're ruining the franchise.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

OK, what even is this minigame hellscape after you finish level 5 in Oracle of Ages? Like you come out of the dungeon, literally instantly a goron busts out of the wall "Here's this new tunnel I dug! Oh yeah, there's lots of minigames inside! We like minigames!" And oh boy is there a lot of minigames. There's a whole trading quest where you play minigames to get poo poo to give to other people so you can play their minigames (there's six in total). And after this whole dealio you the key(s) to the next dungeon which is three screens over from the last one. Did they run out of overworld budget or what?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think they just really liked minigames...

Fortunately it's so much more tolerable on the 3DS than it was originally. Thank you restore points!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think they just really liked minigames...

Fortunately it's so much more tolerable on the 3DS than it was originally. Thank you restore points!

Seriously, screw that baseball game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Seriously, screw that baseball game.

Yeah the others are at least reasonably doable for the required prizes.

Though I admit I abused restore points this time around to get the best optional prizes for all the games. Hello boomerang.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Amppelix posted:

OK, what even is this minigame hellscape after you finish level 5 in Oracle of Ages? Like you come out of the dungeon, literally instantly a goron busts out of the wall "Here's this new tunnel I dug! Oh yeah, there's lots of minigames inside! We like minigames!" And oh boy is there a lot of minigames. There's a whole trading quest where you play minigames to get poo poo to give to other people so you can play their minigames (there's six in total). And after this whole dealio you the key(s) to the next dungeon which is three screens over from the last one. Did they run out of overworld budget or what?

Literally so many that they had to stick a character in there just to tell you exactly which minigame you're supposed to play or quest item you're supposed to deliver next for that whole sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Amppelix posted:

Holy poo poo I totally forgot about that. What a nightmare.

• Locked thread