Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Academy. Academic. Same root.

Sometimes I am not a clever man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Ball & Chain by Social Distortion is an original song and not a cover version of some old country song. I've had it stuck in my head and I went looking for the "original" version. It just sounds like something Conway Twitty or somebody like that would have sung.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Drewski posted:

I chalk this up to the fact that Archer is a cartoon and you cannot therefore see their faces, but I had an epiphany watching Arrested Development today.

Lucille Bluth is Malory Archer. (Jessica Walter)
Kitty Sanchez is Cheryl Tunt. (Judy Greer)
Yes it's a cartoon, but the fact that Malory looks like Jessica Walter and is essentially the same character as Lucille should have been a bit more of a giveaway. Then again, what thread am I in?

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
"Segue" is in fact pronounced "Segway", and people aren't just trying to be cute or anything.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

How did you think it was pronounced?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

cowboythreespeech posted:

How did you think it was pronounced?

Until I realized what the other guy realized, I thought it was "seg" since a trailing "ue" generally does not make a "way" sound (and is instead silent) in English.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
:psyduck: segue is pronounced segway??

I swear any time I've heard someone say it its been "seg"

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Segue being pronounced weird is probably part of the marketing decision to call the vehicle a Segway. It moves from one point to another.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Kind Milkman posted:

Segue being pronounced weird is probably part of the marketing decision to call the vehicle a Segway. It moves from one point to another.

That's obvious. The problem is that I've never actually met anyone who knew that "segue" was pronounced "segway" -- everyone's thought that people saying "segway" were incorrectly influenced by the product name.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

tarepanda posted:

That's obvious. The problem is that I've never actually met anyone who knew that "segue" was pronounced "segway" -- everyone's thought that people saying "segway" were incorrectly influenced by the product name.

I hope you just figured out that you hang out with some dumb rear end people.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Synonamess Botch posted:

I hope you just figured out that you hang out with some dumb rear end people.

Thanks, I love you too.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

tarepanda posted:

One of my classes last semester had the students doing peer review of other student's papers. One guy constantly used segue as a transition, but spelled it Segway every single time, including the capitalization. I'm not even sure how someone that obviously used a thesaurus function for his word processor could consistently use a trademarked brand name instead of the actual word.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
For a long time I'd thought that Edmund Wilson, or E.O. Wilson, was a literary critic who happened to be obsessed with ants (Nabokov had butterflies, so it seemed like the two complemented each other in a sense).

Then just yesterday I realized that not only are they two completely different people, but that the second one is still alive and producing work over 40 years after the other's death.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

TurboTax posted:

For a long time I'd thought that Edmund Wilson, or E.O. Wilson, was a literary critic who happened to be obsessed with ants (Nabokov had butterflies, so it seemed like the two complemented each other in a sense).

Then just yesterday I realized that not only are they two completely different people, but that the second one is still alive and producing work over 40 years after the other's death.

Until I read your post, I made the exact same mistake.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

Until I read your post, I made the exact same mistake.

They did both write for the New Yorker; I guess that's one possible excuse.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Kind Milkman posted:

... Woah.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Speaking of segues, segways, and things I just figured out, I've been rewatching Arrested Development in anticipation of the new season that came out today and I just realized GOB's segway is a visual pun.

Every time he rolls up to someone on his segway he changes the conversation.

Semiotic Ghost
Mar 25, 2006
Dumbass For Rent
I was re-watching Star Wars episode III when I noticed uncle Owen looked familiar. Turns out it's Joel Edgerton, star of such movies as Warrior, Zero Dark Thirty, and The Great Gatsby.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kind Milkman posted:

More to the point, the original idea was that it would be an in-between vehicle that you'd use to get around a localised space after you parked your car but before settling at your destination. A segue between large transport and none.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes it's a cartoon, but the fact that Malory looks like Jessica Walter and is essentially the same character as Lucille should have been a bit more of a giveaway. Then again, what thread am I in?

In my defense, there was a three year gap between shows. I only watched Arrested Development during its original run (2003-2006). Archer started in 2009. Then two weeks ago I found out my girlfriend hadn't watched AD so we started that up in anticipation of Netflix's new season. The "I can't believe I just figured this out" moment? I didn't make the realization until S3.

The important thing is that both Archer and Arrested Development are freaking awesome.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Ball & Chain by Social Distortion is an original song and not a cover version of some old country song. I've had it stuck in my head and I went looking for the "original" version. It just sounds like something Conway Twitty or somebody like that would have sung.

Today I learned that Conway Twitty wasn't just someone they made up for a series of increasing baffling cutaways in Family Guy.

teKmea.
Jun 28, 2008

make sure we tweak
it so we can have sex
with it

Phy posted:

In Cycle Asylum today I learned that the German term for "glove" is "hand shoe". I know about how German nouns are agglutinative, it's just... "hand shoe" is adorable! It's like Hans the Village Dope saw a glove for the first time, and what he called it ended up being the term that stuck.

Very late response on this but this just blew my mind.
It's the same in Dutch which is my mother tongue, and I've only just made this connection because of this thread.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Today I realised that 'eyeballing' drugs didn't mean dropping them into your eye, but meant guesstimating the dosage based on sight alone. Not taking whatever powder, sprinkling them onto your naked eyeball, then waiting for them to dissolve on there. I'd been thinking that for a couple of years.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Anjow posted:

Today I realised that 'eyeballing' drugs didn't mean dropping them into your eye, but meant guesstimating the dosage based on sight alone. Not taking whatever powder, sprinkling them onto your naked eyeball, then waiting for them to dissolve on there. I'd been thinking that for a couple of years.

There are claims of people dosing liquid LSD into their eyes. Not sure I ever really got that because it'd have to be diluted, evenly at that, because a dose or two of LSD is very small compared to whatever droppers give. Maybe they use a pipette? I don't know. I haven't seen one of those in 7+ years.

Memento1979 posted:

Today I learned that Conway Twitty wasn't just someone they made up for a series of increasing baffling cutaways in Family Guy.

Some of his music isn't even as bad as you'd imagine it to be if your only experience with it is from Family Guy. It just happens to be in an incredibly corny format that was popular in the '60s (?) or '70s.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
You can also shoot heroin into your eye (the orbit, not the eyeball itself) if you've hosed up all your veins or don't want track marks but you really really want to inject more heroin. It's not too good for your vision, but it is good for getting super hosed up on heroin.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That sounds like a good way to practice giving yourself a lobotomy

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Speaking of eyes, I just looked up the expression "apple of one's eye." It occurs a number of times in the 1611 Authorized Version of the Bible, such as Proverbs 7:2:

"Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye."

It turns out that this "apple" is not the fruit but rather the pupil of the eye, deriving from Anglo-Saxon æpl or appel. Here are some contemporary uses of "apple" meaning pupil from a 1601 translation of Pliny:

"Concerning the signs of life and death which may be found in man, this is one, That so long as the Patients eye is so cleare that a man may see himselfe in the apple of it, wee are not to despaire of life."

"None have their eies all of one colour : for the ball or apple in the middest is ordinarily of another colour than the white about it."

The biblical use refers to the apple as the part of the eye that gives one sight, the most important part of the eye. The expression came to mean something treasured above everything else.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

There are claims of people dosing liquid LSD into their eyes. Not sure I ever really got that because it'd have to be diluted, evenly at that, because a dose or two of LSD is very small compared to whatever droppers give. Maybe they use a pipette? I don't know. I haven't seen one of those in 7+ years.

Generally if you buy liquid LSD it's diluted beforehand anyway, so that one drop of the liquid is about what you'd get from one square of blotter or so. If you just bought pure raw 100% LSD it would both cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars and probably be able to absorb right through your pores if you did so much as drop a little on your skin.

I never dropped it straight into my eyes, but I had a friend that did. He said it stung, but I'm sure the stuff wasn't exactly USP grade purity or anything like that.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

I'm no LSD expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been suspended in a saline solution or something like that.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I've been playing pokemon since I was like 10, and I just today realised that the company is called Silph, not Sliph.

note: I am not still 10.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

cowboythreespeech posted:

I've been playing pokemon since I was like 10, and I just today realised that the company is called Silph, not Sliph.

note: I am not still 10.

Oh? When was your birthday?

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Oh it's march ele--HEY!

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Arth in Welsh and arktos in Greek is translated as 'bear'. At the Poles, we have the Artic, and the Antartic. How do you remember which has penguins and which has polar bears? Simple, as the two poles have the names 'Bears' and 'No bears'.

I studied Greek and Latin for several years and only just realized this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuietLion posted:

Arth in Welsh and arktos in Greek is translated as 'bear'. At the Poles, we have the Artic, and the Antartic. How do you remember which has penguins and which has polar bears? Simple, as the two poles have the names 'Bears' and 'No bears'.

This is correct but wasn't really intentional. It comes from arktikos ("of the bear") and apparently references the northern constellation Ursa Major. 'Antarctic' means 'not the North' and it's just a coincidence that there's no bears there.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is correct but wasn't really intentional. It comes from arktikos ("of the bear") and apparently references the northern constellation Ursa Major. 'Antarctic' means 'not the North' and it's just a coincidence that there's no bears there.

They have leopard seals instead.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

pageerror404 posted:

They have leopard seals instead.

And seals are basically water bears. Seriously, bears and seals are very closely related.

haakman
May 5, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

This is a water bear - infinitely cuter and more impressive than those beady-eyed seal bastards.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Antarctic' means 'not the North' and it's just a coincidence that there's no bears there.

Antarctic means away from the bear, so the opposite direction from Ursa major. Also it's interesting to note that the brown bear's scientific name is Ursus arctos. Ursus and arctos both mean bear in Latin and Greek respectively, so their name translates to "bear bear." I think it's also uncommon for one species to have its name derived from both Greek and Latin instead of one or the other, but I can't find anything to actually verify that.

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
I just figured out that the "bow" in David Bowie's name is pronounced like the weapon or the hair accessory, not the gesture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sarkimedes posted:

I just figured out that the "bow" in David Bowie's name is pronounced like the weapon or the hair accessory, not the gesture.

It gets weirder when you find out the weapon he took his stage name from (the Bowie knife) is pronounced like "boo-ee."

• Locked thread